Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama

+5
boards of FL
VectorMan
no stress
knothead
Sal
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

I am marginally more enthusiastic than Mr. Pierce about Obama's second term, but I share nearly all his reservations and sentiments regarding the modern day GOP.

It is not fear. It is simple, compelling logic. We have two major political parties. Until that great gettin'-up morning, when purists on both sides of the ideological ditch manage to create workable third parties that look like something more substantial than organized unicorn hunts — which won't happen until we have proportional voting, and I wish you as much luck with that as Lani Guinier had — we always will have two major political parties. One of them is inexcusably timid and tied in inexcusably tight with the big corporate money. The other one is demented.

This is not "fear" talking. I watched the Republican primaries. I went to the debates. I saw long-settled assumptions about the nature of representative democracy thrown down and danced upon. I heard long-established axioms of the nature of a political commonwealth torn to shreds and thrown into the perfumed air. I saw people seriously arguing for an end to the social safety net, to any and all federal environmental regulations, to the concept of the progressive income tax, and to American participation in the United Nations, the latter on the grounds that a one-world government threatens our "liberty" with its insurance-friendly national health-care reform bill. I saw Rick Santorum base his entire foreign policy on the legend of the 12th Imam, and I saw Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann actually be front-runners for a while. I saw all of this and I knew that each one of them had a substantial constituency behind them within the party for everything they said, no matter how loopy. When you see a lunatic wandering down the sidewalk, howling at the moon and waving a machete, it is not fear that makes you step inside your house and lock the door. It is the simple logic of survival. Fear is what keeps you from trying to tackle the guy and wrestle the machete away from him. And, as much as it may pain some people to admit it, the president is the only one stepping up to do that at the moment.

It is vitally important that the Republican party be kept away from as much power as possible until the party regains its senses again. It is not just important to the advance of progressive goals, though it is. It is not just important to maintain the modicum of social justice that it has taken eighty years to build into the institutions of our government, though it is. It is important, too, that that you vote for one of these men based on whom else, exactly, he owes. Who is it that's going to come with the fiddler to collect when you get what you've bargained for?

Barack Obama owes more than I'd like him to owe to the Wall Street crowd. He probably at this point owes a little more than I'd like him to owe to the military. The rest he owes to the millions of people who elected him in 2008 — especially to those people whose enthusiasm I neither shared nor really understood — and he will owe them even more if they come out and pull his chestnuts out of the fire for him this time around. He may sell them out — and, yes, I understand if you wanted to add "again" to that statement — but they are not likely to revenge themselves against the country if he does and, even if they decided to, they don't have the power to do much but yell at the right buildings.

On the other hand, Willard Romney owes even more to the Wall Street crowd, and he owes even more to the military, but he also owes everything he is politically to the snake-handlers and the Bible-bangers, to the Creationist morons and to the people who stalk doctors and glue their heads to the clinic doors, to the reckless plutocrats and to the vote-suppressors, to the Randian fantasts and libertarian fakers, to the closeted and not-so-closeted racists who have been so empowered by the party that has given them a home, to the enemies of science and to the enemies of reason, to the devil's bargain of obvious tactical deceit and to the devil's honoraria of dark, anonymous money, and, ultimately, to those shadowy places in himself wherein Romney sold out who he might actually be to his overweening ambition. It is a fearsome bill to come due for any man, let alone one as mendaciously malleable as the Republican nominee. Obama owes the disgruntled. Romney owes the crazy. And that makes all the difference.

In his time in office, Barack Obama has done some undeniable good for people. There are auto workers in Ohio with jobs, and women making equal pay, and young people freed from the burdens of health care because of some of the president's policies. And he is running on that record, making the case for his second term based on the good he has done for people in his first. In his only time in elective office, Romney also did some good for people. He reformed the health-care system in Massachusetts in a way that made him far more popular up here than he ever will be again. And he has spent seven years now running against the good he did for people. What kind of a politician does that? What kind of a man does that? A politician who has counted the debts he owes to the people to whom he owes them, and a man who is willing to hock everything about himself just to get even.

This is not "fear" talking. This is simply the way things are. It is important to stand against the people and the forces to which Willard Romney owes his political career. It is more important to do that than it is to do anything else. It is more important to do that than to salve my conscience, or make a statement, or dream my wistful dreams of a better and more noble politics. And that is why, today, I will vote for Barack Obama, not because of the man he is not, but because of the man his opponent clearly has become. I will do so without enthusiasm, and without a sliver of doubt in my mind.

www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/obama-endorsement-2012-14278423#ixzz2Atb2GYHI

knothead

knothead

Sal, thanks for posting an insightful, extremely well-written article that articulates and represents largely my own view. What a great article! Thanks again.

no stress

no stress

Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama 31116911

knothead

knothead

Gunz wrote:Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama 31116911

It's just the opposite my friend . . . .

no stress

no stress

Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama 40682310

VectorMan

VectorMan

What? No hope and change this time around? LOL

VectorMan

VectorMan

Gunz wrote:Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama 40682310
LOL

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bush inherited 4.2% unemployment, a budget surplus, and an economy that had added almost 20 million private sector jobs during the previous eight year administration.

He left a 7.8% unemployment rate, a ballooning deficit, and a net private sector job loss of 646,000 over his eight year administration.

Let me say that one more time. Bush had a net private sector job loss of 646,000 over his eight year term. There were 646,000 less private sector jobs when Bush left that when he entered. There were almost 20 million new private sector jobs created during the era of his predecessor.

There are 514,000 new private sector jobs since Obama has taken office. And note that when Obama entered office, we were losing 800,000 private sector jobs per month.

knothead

knothead

Again, that was just really cute . . . . completely inaccurate but cute nevertheless. Boy George was despised by our European allies and Obama enjoys a 73% favorability rating in the UK and Romney is 31%. Oh yeah, what about the two unfunded wars that he put on the credit card? It all came down during his 2nd term, you many not like it but it is what it is.

As far as the nation's credit rating you have the Tea Party to thank for that.

It was cute. It took 8 years for the Republicans to break it and it's gonna take 8 years for the Democrats to fix it . . . .

[quote="knothead"]
Gunz wrote: It took 8 years for the Republicans to break it and it's gonna take 8 years for the Democrats to fix it . . . .

Get your latest BHO campaign pin here:

Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama Its_all_bushs_fault_sticker-p217039870842515374b2o35_400

[img]Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama Funny-10[/img]

knothead

knothead

[quote="nochain"][quote="knothead"]
Gunz wrote: It took 8 years for the Republicans to break it and it's gonna take 8 years for the Democrats to fix it . . . .

Get your latest BHO campaign pin here:

Enjoy the moment, he WILL be your next President . . . . .

knothead

knothead

Rogue wrote:[img]Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama Funny-10[/img]

I'm waiting for one you bat shit crazy right wingnuts to post some more of the favorites we've seen during this campaign.

"Put the White Man back in the White House" . . . . cute

"Vote for the Mormon Not the Moron" . . . . . . . . special

Yall should be saving these special mementos to show your grandchildren how you participated in democracy . . . . I'm sure they'll be really proud.

Obama has a record now... I know that doesn't matter to the leftists... but it does to the average american.

The hope and change promises have proven empty... you can fool some of the people some of the time...

but not all of the people all of the time.

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:Obama has a record now... I know that doesn't matter to the leftists... but it does to the average american.

The hope and change promises have proven empty... you can fool some of the people some of the time...

Complete nonsense pkr, most Democrats confess that Obama has made mistakes . . . . . that not the problem. The problem is who wants to run the nation and when they weigh the choices Obama will win the day, not because they think Obama walks on water and all that right wing crap but because Romney is an empty suit and will say or do ANYTHING tomove in the WH. You picked the dorkiest of the bunch and no one believes in him because of his propensity to change positions daily.

knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Obama has a record now... I know that doesn't matter to the leftists... but it does to the average american.

Complete nonsense pkr, most Democrats confess that Obama has made mistakes . . . . . that not the problem. The problem is who wants to run the nation and when they weigh the choices Obama will win the day, not because they think Obama walks on water and all that right wing crap but because Romney is an empty suit and will say or do ANYTHING tomove in the WH. You picked the dorkiest of the bunch and no one believes in him because of his propensity to change positions daily.

we picked him because he knows how to run things and make them profitable, which is what we want the country to be.

not some organizer who only knows how to spend tax payer money for agendas.

no stress

no stress

Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama 58086111

knothead

knothead

Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:

we picked him because he knows how to run things and make them profitable, which is what we want the country to be.

That was his sales pitch I agree but he has been on every side of every issue. Yes he is good as a private equity firm boss but that does not necessarily translate into being a President . . . . he's accustomed to being Boss. Your other comments are partisan hyperbole and deserve no reply.

VectorMan

VectorMan

I already voted against Obama. One reason is because he's an arrogant asshole, among other things.

Romney may not be the best man for the job, but I've been convinced Obama is the worst man for the job.

Vote the bum out!

knothead wrote:
Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:

That was his sales pitch I agree but he has been on every side of every issue. Yes he is good as a private equity firm boss but that does not necessarily translate into being a President . . . . he's accustomed to being Boss. Your other comments are partisan hyperbole and deserve no reply.

right and being a community organizer proved to be a fantastic pre req for president LOL

and my comments are not partisan hyperbole. Its make perfect sense that someone who can manage a company for a large profit to manage the gov. Its about being able to develope budgets that work, have a vision for the future, manage opperating cost and manage benefits. All of those things make him more qualified even though obama is the incumbent, his job has been so poorly done its almost as if we really havnt had a president.

knothead

knothead

VectorMan wrote:I already voted against Obama. One reason is because he's an arrogant asshole, among other things.

Romney may not be the best man for the job, but I've been convinced Obama is the worst man for the job.

Vote the bum out!

Speaking of arrogant assholes your guy Romney is the biggest asshole of all.

Markle

Markle

[quote="salinsky"]

Much simpler.

Your screen name and avatar.

Sal

Sal

[quote="Markle"]
salinsky wrote:

Much simpler.

Your screen name and avatar.

How long did it take you to pick up on that, bright boy?

no stress

no stress

Why I'm Voting to Re-elect President Obama 68056410

I didn't pick either of these oligarchy candidates... and I find more similarities than differences.

Vacant candidate number one now has a record... its very similar to vacant candidate number two's state record.

Both are eerily similar to bush in results... but

You keep cheering for your team... we all lose.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum