Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it true? Romney "absolutely" wants to eliminate FEMA?

+3
othershoe1030
stormwatch89
Nekochan
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/28/1151867/-Romney-on-Eliminating-FEMA-Absolutely

It IS the Dailykos...

Oh, I see... make it a State responsibility... http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/29/1152169/-Romney-forced-to-clarify-immoral-disaster-relief-nbsp-comments

Its already a state responsibility. The state hs to request dfor federal help.

unless you and i know some who do, wouuld like the federal government to have absolute complete control over states?

theres a name for that.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sounds like he wants States to take the leading role and I'm not so sure he's wrong.

Nekochan wrote:Sounds like he wants States to take the leading role and I'm not so sure he's wrong.

Ive heard him make that comment about healthcare too.

In a lot of ways it makes the most sense. If you think about it from a managment point of view.

Having the federal government dictate everything down to all the state levels is sort of like having the CEO of a large organization trying to tell the man on the widget maker what to do. It never works and there are always mis communications, mess ups and all of that leads to loss of revenue and poorly run organizations which go bankrupt. Much like our current system.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt the federal gov suppose to have limited state powers?

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Rogue wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Sounds like he wants States to take the leading role and I'm not so sure he's wrong.

In a lot of ways it makes the most sense. If you think about it from a managment point of view.

Having the federal government dictate everything down to all the state levels is sort of like having the CEO of a large organization trying to tell the man on the widget maker what to do. It never works and there are always mis communications, mess ups and all of that leads to loss of revenue and poorly run organizations which go bankrupt. Much like our current system.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt the federal gov suppose to have limited state powers?

Perfect!

stormwatch89 wrote:
Rogue wrote:

Perfect!

I didnt even use spell check Embarassed

Thanks Smile

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Yomama wrote:http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/28/1151867/-Romney-on-Eliminating-FEMA-Absolutely

It IS the Dailykos...

Oh, I see... make it a State responsibility... http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/29/1152169/-Romney-forced-to-clarify-immoral-disaster-relief-nbsp-comments
Making the current FEMA activity a state function doesn't make sense. Storms don't hit just one state. All the states involved would have to then figure out a way to coordinate all the notices, reports, evacuations, rescues..it would be a mess. Then too many times the disaster is too big for a state to handle on its own and the federal government needs to help.

Of course the real reason he comes up with these ideas is that he could claim to have shrunk the federal government which is always good in the GOP world.

othershoe1030 wrote:
Yomama wrote:http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/28/1151867/-Romney-on-Eliminating-FEMA-Absolutely

It IS the Dailykos...

Making the current FEMA activity a state function doesn't make sense. Storms don't hit just one state. All the states involved would have to then figure out a way to coordinate all the notices, reports, evacuations, rescues..it would be a mess. Then too many times the disaster is too big for a state to handle on its own and the federal government needs to help.

Of course the real reason he comes up with these ideas is that he could claim to have shrunk the federal government which is always good in the GOP world.

What are you talking about?

Every state already has a emergency activation plan.

having the states run it could be done. States already have the responsibility of requesting federal help, having the emergency response be on the states head would remove the middle man( feds) and most likly would streamline the process to be more efficient and more responsive to the specif needs of the communities, as each community is different and the states do in fact know thier communities better than the federal gov.

and also, FEMA has gotten so big its almost a monster arm. I swear its involved in just about every single thing in the country now.

Nekochan

Nekochan

othershoe1030 wrote:

It IS the Dailykos...

States already do all those things.

Markle

Markle

The second worst president in modern history, President Jimmy Carter created FEMA for no logical reason. Just as he developed the Department of Energy which has done nothing as well.

The worst president in modern history, President Barack Hussein Obama promised that with his election, the seas would become lower and the earth would begin to heal. Oops...looks like another of his promises being swept aside.

I lived through five major hurricanes in South Miami and Key West BEFORE FEMA. We did just fine thank you. Of course, people actually believed in PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Hurricane Donna swept away the wind instruments at Homestead Air Force Base at 156 mph. Houses on the Ocean side of the Keys were lifted off their foundations and left on US-1 and in the Gulf of Mexico so they were not small storms.

It is too big of a job for states to handle... AND FUND on their own. I think Romney wants to stick health care and FEMA costs to the states. Sounds like unfunded mandates to me. Romney was also quoted that FEMA duties might be better handled by the private sector.

Well, that's one way to reduce Federal spending.

I don't think that it is right for FEMA to offer low-cost rebuilding loans, but I think there is a place for them to bring in search & rescue, tents, water and soup kitchens for temporary assistance immediately after a disaster.

Yomama wrote:It is too big of a job for states to handle... AND FUND on their own. I think Romney wants to stick health care and FEMA costs to the states. Sounds like unfunded mandates to me. Romney was also quoted that FEMA duties might be better handled by the private sector.

hold on here a minute.

he never said anything about not funding it. The funds should still come from taxes. just like the fed allocates a certain amount for each state to cover medicaid, bridges, roads etc. thi is still a gov function.

havnt heard anything about him wanting it to go to the private sector. link?

Nekochan

Nekochan

I think he'd want States to take control but I doubt he'd be in favor of doing way with all federal funding. What I have heard his say is that State and locals are going to be better first responders, rather than counting on the Feds.

knothead

knothead

Why am I not surprised that you agree with Mittens . . . .

knothead

knothead

Nekochan wrote:I think he'd want States to take control but I doubt he'd be in favor of doing way with all federal funding. What I have heard his say is that State and locals are going to be better first responders, rather than counting on the Feds.

That is absolutely and categorically untrue. Since the Bush era FEMA, this organization has got its act together and puts resources where they are needed when they are needed. In Florida, if states were in control, no one would show up.

Rogue wrote:
Yomama wrote:It is too big of a job for states to handle... AND FUND on their own. I think Romney wants to stick health care and FEMA costs to the states. Sounds like unfunded mandates to me. Romney was also quoted that FEMA duties might be better handled by the private sector.

hold on here a minute.

he never said anything about not funding it. The funds should still come from taxes. just like the fed allocates a certain amount for each state to cover medicaid, bridges, roads etc. thi is still a gov function.

I provided the link at the beginning post. Here's some text from the article
Federal funding for disaster relief is "immoral," and is something that should be left up to the states or, "even better," the private sector.

Yomama wrote:
Rogue wrote:

hold on here a minute.

I provided the link at the beginning post. Here's some text from the article
Federal funding for disaster relief is "immoral," and is something that should be left up to the states or, "even better," the private sector.

i went back and istened to what he said and that quot is NOT what he said. they are trying to spin it. he said it was immoral to have all this debt, h did say anytime you can take programs and put them in the states hands thats good, and if it could go even futher and put them into the private sector hands thats even better. Thats what he said. He apparently is for a smaller federal government. That speaks to the libertarian side of me so i agree with it.

no stress

no stress

knothead wrote:
Nekochan wrote:I think he'd want States to take control but I doubt he'd be in favor of doing way with all federal funding. What I have heard his say is that State and locals are going to be better first responders, rather than counting on the Feds.

That is absolutely and categorically untrue. Since the Bush era FEMA, this organization has got its act together and puts resources where they are needed when they are needed. In Florida, if states were in control, no one would show up.

I call BS. Bush got rid of Brown who had zero emergency management training and replaced him with Craig Fugate who has been in the emergency management field for virtually his entire adult life. Craig lives and breaths emergency management and is damn good at it.

Rogue wrote:
i went back and istened to what he said and that quot is NOT what he said. they are trying to spin it. he said it was immoral to have all this debt, h did say anytime you can take programs and put them in the states hands thats good, and if it could go even futher and put them into the private sector hands thats even better. Thats what he said. He apparently is for a smaller federal government. That speaks to the libertarian side of me so i agree with it

I'm here to learn. That's why I started the thread title with "is this true?"

But sme things are better handled on a federal level and I suspect that disaster response ought to be a federal thing.

If it went to the states, would every state have it's own FEMA Chief and Deputy Chief, Budget Director, PR Man, Ombudsman, and all the bureaucracy that comes with an autonomous department?

It sounds like a duplication of efforts to me. Also, I can see duplication of purchases of water, ice, cots, tents, food, medicines and other supplies by each state. Remember, many supplies are perishable and must be thrown out when expired. If Mississippi gets wiped off the map by a hurricane, will other states come to their rescue if the states become autonomous regarding disaster response?

Nekochan

Nekochan

knothead wrote:

Well, I don't know how you can say it's absolutely and categorically untrue. I think that it's just your opinion that the Feds are doing a better job than the States could do.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yomama wrote:
Rogue wrote:
i went back and istened to what he said and that quot is NOT what he said. they are trying to spin it. he said it was immoral to have all this debt, h did say anytime you can take programs and put them in the states hands thats good, and if it could go even futher and put them into the private sector hands thats even better. Thats what he said. He apparently is for a smaller federal government. That speaks to the libertarian side of me so i agree with it

I'm here to learn. That's why I started the thread title with "is this true?"

But sme things are better handled on a federal level and I suspect that disaster response ought to be a federal thing.

If it went to the states, would every state have it's own FEMA Chief and Deputy Chief, Budget Director, PR Man, Ombudsman, and all the bureaucracy that comes with an autonomous department?

It sounds like a duplication of efforts to me. Also, I can see duplication of purchases of water, ice, cots, tents, food, medicines and other supplies by each state. Remember, many supplies are perishable and must be thrown out when expired. If Mississippi gets wiped off the map by a hurricane, will other states come to their rescue if the states become autonomous regarding disaster response?

Here's another view...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/10/no-mitt-romney-doesnt-really-want-to-kill-off-fema/264230/

Nekochan wrote:Here's another view...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/10/no-mitt-romney-doesnt-really-want-to-kill-off-fema/264230/

That's a good article, Neko. It certainly isn't the twisted slant that the DailyKos put on it... that I posted at the beginning of this thread.

States should assume some responsibility for emergency response... and most do so. I have manned a table at the Escambia County Emergency Operation Center during a hurricane as a state representative (Health) and believe that, if the counties, the state, and good organizations like the Red Cross can handle the emergency response... they should handle it.

I still believe that there is a role for FEMA, however. For instance, I believe it would be much more efficient and less wasteful for FEMA to purchase perishables (medicines, MREs, water, etc.) and deliver them to the states where they are needed than for each state to purchase perishables, only to dispose of them when that state doesn't have a disaster.

That article you linked to, Neko, mentions setting dollar values on damage that would serve as a trigger for FEMA participation. It says:
This raises some questions: Do we really want to tie the federal
government's hands with super stringent requirements for when it can and
can't step in?
That already exists. There's a county up here near Birmingham that has requested FEMA help after a tornado outbreak and FEMA is saying it doesn't meet their trigger for participation. (I think the county wanted help paying for debris removal... something like that.)

When multi-state disasters happen, I can see FEMA assuming a role of coordination. What I don't think they should be doing is providing trailers and low-interest loans.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yomama wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Here's another view...

That's a good article, Neko. It certainly isn't the twisted slant that the DailyKos put on it... that I posted at the beginning of this thread.

States should assume some responsibility for emergency response... and most do so. I have manned a table at the Escambia County Emergency Operation Center during a hurricane as a state representative (Health) and believe that, if the counties, the state, and good organizations like the Red Cross can handle the emergency response... they should handle it.

I still believe that there is a role for FEMA, however. For instance, I believe it would be much more efficient and less wasteful for FEMA to purchase perishables (medicines, MREs, water, etc.) and deliver them to the states where they are needed than for each state to purchase perishables, only to dispose of them when that state doesn't have a disaster.

That article you linked to, Neko, mentions setting dollar values on damage that would serve as a trigger for FEMA participation. It says:
This raises some questions: Do we really want to tie the federal
government's hands with super stringent requirements for when it can and
can't step in?
That already exists. There's a county up here near Birmingham that has requested FEMA help after a tornado outbreak and FEMA is saying it doesn't meet their trigger for participation. (I think the county wanted help paying for debris removal... something like that.)

When multi-state disasters happen, I can see FEMA assuming a role of coordination. What I don't think they should be doing is providing trailers and low-interest loans.
I agree.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

"handled by the private sector" AKA getting into the pocket of the treasury, a most favorite activity of the "small government" folks. They are always ready to take the money and add a layer of unnecessary profit (cost) on to a job the government is quite well set up to do.

I wouldn't be in favor of private sector disaster relief any more than I would be for private police forces and private fire fighters.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum