Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How a Supreme Court ruling may stop you from reselling just about anything

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/a-supreme-court-clash-could-change-what-ownership-means/

2seaoat

Not really.....if you read the article, it should have no impact on purchases within the United States, rather it is a rather narrow issue dealing with copyrighted materials being purchased abroad, and then resold in America. I will have to take a look at Windows 8 now because I trusted your judgment on the recent install......I think if the thread heading is your conclusion after reading the pending Supreme Court decision, I might conclude that you may have overstated some of the flaws of Windows 8 without fully understanding some of the new benefits, and given a fair review of the same.

The precedent in our patent laws used to make inventor distinctions... that's slowly changed. I don't think ownership here is going to apply under copyright infringement. If the books were printed legally there is no case... except maybe a case of stupidity and bad business sense.

2seaoat wrote:Not really.....if you read the article, it should have no impact on purchases within the United States, rather it is a rather narrow issue dealing with copyrighted materials being purchased abroad, and then resold in America. I will have to take a look at Windows 8 now because I trusted your judgment on the recent install......I think if the thread heading is your conclusion after reading the pending Supreme Court decision, I might conclude that you may have overstated some of the flaws of Windows 8 without fully understanding some of the new benefits, and given a fair review of the same.

You have a habit of looking at a subject through a very narrow window and basing your conclusions without fully understanding the subject. Do you understand how this ruling would affect an individual that lets say chooses to sell his/her old smartphone and the resulting implications since digital media is excluded from the first sale doctrine.

I could explain some of the benefits of Windows 8 but I would be talking over your head only to have you criticize again on limited knowledge of the subject.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/10/29/the-importance-of-the-first-sale-doctrine/

alecto wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Not really.....if you read the article, it should have no impact on purchases within the United States, rather it is a rather narrow issue dealing with copyrighted materials being purchased abroad, and then resold in America. I will have to take a look at Windows 8 now because I trusted your judgment on the recent install......I think if the thread heading is your conclusion after reading the pending Supreme Court decision, I might conclude that you may have overstated some of the flaws of Windows 8 without fully understanding some of the new benefits, and given a fair review of the same.

You have a habit of looking at a subject through a very narrow window and basing your conclusions without fully understanding the subject. Do you understand how this ruling would affect an individual that lets say chooses to sell his/her old smartphone and the resulting implications since digital media is excluded from the first sale doctrine.

I could explain some of the benefits of Windows 8 but I would be talking over your head only to have you criticize again on limited knowledge of the subject.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/10/29/the-importance-of-the-first-sale-doctrine/

You would be correct in what you just said.

This re-sell your own stuff thing is a big deal. I heard on the news on the way home today that they are trying to use the patten law to stop people from selling thier own stuff.

Just them trying to pass a restriction like this tells me they are out to completly ruin our economy and destroy this nation. and I ave no idea who brought it up, so me saying that is not politically motivated.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum