Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A (REALLY) Short Diary re: White supremacist infiltration of Minneapolis protests

+3
Sal
PkrBum
Floridatexan
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I’m listening to the Minneapolis news conference now during Q&A. Governor Walz has just asked local authorities to count the number of people from out of state who have arrived to disrupt and discredit the legitimate demonstrations of grief, anger, and solidarity. They intend to identify the groups *and* the individuals who have been involved in this destruction and their organizations. Additionally, the governor, mayors, and the General of the National Guard have asked the media for help to disseminate this information far and wide.

They acknowledge the observable change in tactics by these illegitimate “protestors” after Tuesday night. They acknowledge the dwarfing of a record number of National Guard troops by the illegitimate “protestors” to escalate violence, and to make it impossible to control the situation. They realize that the illegitimate “protestors” are changing tactics along with the police, firemen, and National Guard. As a result, the National Guard will have to be augmented by additional resources from other states and (this makes me nervous) from the Secretary of Defense and the Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Please correct me if I’m wrong about this last item; it sounds like an unconstitutional measure regarding the Armed Services used for domestic control.

(5/29/20 11:46 a.m.: Thank you to Tailfish for this comment that does a great job of explaining how the Armed Forces can be lawfully used domestically)

I’ll edit and add to this as people comment and I hear more in the news, if possible.

(5/29/20 3:25 p.m.: I've removed the brutal, violent picture I had originally as the banner to the diary. I was so angry that I didn’t think about the potential impact, and I apologize to anyone who that photo caused pain.)

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5/30/1948782/-A-REALLY-Short-Diary-re-White-supremacist-infiltration-of-Minneapolis-protests?utm_campaign=trending

(read the comments)

PkrBum

PkrBum

Lmao... i knew this was coming. Gawd you're easy.

Btw... Susan Rice just blamed the (wait for it) Russians... lol.

So when your current narrative falls through don't settle for facts or truths.

Sal

Sal

Really creepy stuff going down. That dude is white.

zsomething

When I saw this post, I knew some little shit-drizzle was destined to show up and mock it, so... I brought receipts! Very Happy

A (REALLY) Short Diary re: White supremacist infiltration of Minneapolis protests EZYTCpgXgAcanGl?format=jpg&name=medium

See those ugly fucks playing dress-up? Those are known Proud Boys, dressed as "Antifa," and they went around breaking shit so Antifa would get the blame for it.

And here, a buncha Boogalooers have gotten arrested for stirring up shit, trying to turn this into a "Civil War."

https://www.courthousenews.com/minnesota-officials-link-arrested-looters-to-white-supremacist-groups/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=minnesota-officials-link-arrested-looters-to-white-supremacist-groups

Want some more? Here's some more:

https://coloradotimesrecorder.com/2020/05/denver-police-seized-assault-rifles-from-anti-government-gun-activists-at-friday-night-protest/24690/

Want some more? Here's some more:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkyb9b/far-right-extremists-are-hoping-to-turn-the-george-floyd-protests-into-a-new-civil-war

Want some more? Here's some more, this time a 3%er asshole:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crime-tracker/suspected-metro-courthouse-arsonist-arrested/

WANT SOME MORE? HERE'S SOME MORE! The FBI is pissed at Barr for lying and putting it all on "the left" when the right's proven to be behind so much of it:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/05/bill-barr-slammed-by-ex-fbi-official-for-ignoring-the-right-wing-boogaloo-bois-infiltrating-protests/

It's weird how the "Antifa" that keep getting arrested often have Proud Boy and Oathkeeper and 3%er tattoos.

And there are numerous videos of "protesters" flashing their "white power" sign (an okay-sign that backfired on the 4chan twerps who were being "cute" about it until Nazis didn't get the memo and thought it was legit). Even a damn cop flashed it:

https://twitter.com/kikimurphy_/status/1266936387124826113

Want me to keep putting up links? I could keep going, but I feel like I'm just being an asshole at this point, humiliating our resident oughtta-kill-himself-piece-of-shit.

Right-wingers are desperate to smear "Antifa" in any way they can... and I'll get into why in just a second. But first a little background on what Antifa really is, and what the conservative creation -- which bears little resemblance to it -- is.

See, the thing the right doesn't understand about Antifa is, they aren't an "organization" and they're a really tiny thing,a small subset of the punk rock scene, which is, in itself, not very big. Most of the right never even heard of Antifa until Charlottesville, when a few showed up to slap some Nazis around. Seeing as Nazis are near and dear to many conservative hearts (although they don't want to admit it), they reacted like all bullies do when you punch 'em back -- they were terrified. Right-wingers tend to be a superstitious, cowardly breed, so if somebody lays one of 'em out, suddenly they're every shape that crosses the moon! So Antifa became their big boogeyman. But really, all Antifa does is show up to fight Nazis when Nazis show up.

See, I've been into punk rock for years, so Antifa's not a new thing to me at all. I'm not one -- beyond being against fascists in general, and having made a few Nazis bleed pretty bad a couple times back in the day -- but I've listened to a bunch of their bands, I used to subscribe to Profane Existence which was a 'zine that had a lot of Antifa reports in it. Shit ain't new to me... which is why it is so fuckin' funny that the right has turned them into their "big bad." They're just a bunch of vegan kids trying to keep bigots from ruining their gigs. But, to the ignorant and easily-led -- which conservatives are the very definition of -- Antifa makes a really good scary-booga-booga, because they often have masks, and you can blame anything on them, you can label anybody you don't like or who scares you to be "Antifa" -- you've always got somebody to blame.

The "Antifa" that Trumpturds are so obsessed with don't even exist. That "Antifa" is funded by ((((George Soros!!!)))) (Antifa doesn't need funding - they're just punker kids. A lot of 'em live in squats. What's Soros gonna buy 'em, bike locks and boots? That's about their budget) Nancy Pelosi (oooo, talk about crossin' the moon!) runs an evil cabal with 'em! And they're all over social media... just like every super-secret organization who plot to overthrow the government would OF COURSE do, being amazingly stupid.

Since the real Antifa is such a tiny, puny force, the right-wing had to invent a better one. So, they started a bunch of fake ones. https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/07/04/news/fake-antifa-twitter-accounts-spread-disinformation-fourth-july Because they want them to be REALLY scary and a big threat, they make HUNDREDS of 'em. https://medium.com/americanodyssey/list-of-fake-antifa-accounts-on-social-media-trolls-1df2e7348d7c

And conservatives are fucken so STUPID they even end up scaring themselves with their sock-puppet badguys! https://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/conservatives-keep-panicking-over-fake-antifa-parodies-created-by-right-wingers/ Just steppin' on their dick, can't get out of their own way in their urge to be scared o' somethin'. lol!

Anyway, the reason for all of this is, Trump wants a "Reichstag Fire" so he can crack down on all his opposition with impunity. Conservatives tend to kinda like fascism, anyway, but it's easier to sell them if they have something to fear. Riots are scary things, so... it's an opportunity to smear Antifa. Which Trump just declared was going to be classified as "a terrorist organization" today.

Which is a really handy enemy to have, since it's not an organization to begin with. Especially the one the conservatives are obsessed with, which is a fabrication they came up with. ANYBODY they want to be "Antifa" can be Antifa.

I mean... do you oppose Trump? Do you post mean things about him online? Guess what? YOU are now a part of an "organization" that you probably barely know exists, because if Trump wants to shut you up or punish you for ruining his everybody-loves-me party, all he's got to do is say you're part of "Antifa" and, BOOM! you're gone, and your conservative neighbors will clap about it like a bunch of good Germans.

I mean, it's shit like this:

https://twitter.com/EddieDonovan/status/1267321140260765696

"Can we arrest ALL Democrats now?" There's "Democrats = Antifa, arrest them all" shit all over Twitter and Reddit and shit.

I'm not conspiracy-bent, but if Trump wants to round up Democrats and put 'em into concentration camps or drag 'em out of their homes and murder 'em, the "antifa are classified as terrorists" thing is the way to do it. How are you supposed to prove you aren't part of a vaguely-defined organization that doesn't really exist in the way they think it does? And Trump's supporters will not help you... they're caught up in a wave of hate he's created. They wanna kill a bunch of people whose facts keep getting in the way of their fantasies. They aren't comfortable being disagreed with. They like conformity.

So, yeah, that's pretty much what's happening with the whole right-wing infiltration/ blame Antifa thing.

Are there some left-wing anarchist types causing mayhem, too? I'm sure there are. They can be stupid kids who want to be part of something, or stupidly think they're "helping" by tearing shit up. It's dumb. For one thing, destruction and violence are counterproductive; it turns people's sympathies against you. For another, black people are going to be the ones getting left with the blame for destruction stupid white kids cause. There are numerous videos of black protesters stopping white folks from tearing stuff up, or asking "What the hell are you doing?" Like that "umbrella man" in the post above -- that guy, reportedly, is a fuckin' COP wearing that tactical gear. The cops say he's not, but... he sure looks like him, and you gonna believe the cops trying to cover up what would be a major embarrassment? I dunno. But in any case, there's probably some anarchist element making things worse, and anarchists aren't necessarily "the left" -- they're off the spectrum -- but, hell, we'll say they're "left" -- I don't think anybody's gotta be perfect.

But are right-wingers infiltrating to be agents provacateurs? Oh hell YES they are. That's proven, they're in custody, a lot of 'em. Anybody who says differently is just in denial. But that's not news.

I dunno how many times I have to make this gutless bitch a kickball on this board before he takes a fuckin' hint, but he seems to be some creepy masochist.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Stupid isn't an Olympic event... you can quit training.

Jake92 likes this post

Telstar

Telstar

PkrBum wrote:Stupid isn't an Olympic event... you can quit training.

At least he doesn't block anyone because he's afraid of seeing the truth. Now go back to dreaming of your Olympic Kiwi granny and your two exes. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

zsomething

I wish I could at least fight with somebody who has more than a See'n'Say's worth of insults. I think he's used that "quit training" thing on me about four times already, and I'd already seen other people saying that same line for years. People like that always crack me up -- I can see them seeing somebody else say something they think's "witty" and, being utterly inequipped to write their own material, they jot it down thinking, "I wonder how cool that would say if I said it sometime!" Dude's so low-watt he'd make an Easy Bake Oven like like a hadron collider.

Only reason I even boot him around is to hopefully entertain the rest of you who've had to put up with him for years, 'cuz the actual doing of it is about as much challenge as debating with a cortex-damaged parakeet. No matter what you say, the luckiest you'll ever get is to be told he wants a cracker. Dude's a sudoku puzzle with one blank square...

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:I wish I could at least fight with somebody who has more than a See'n'Say's worth of insults.  I think he's used that "quit training" thing on me about four times already, and I'd already seen other people saying that same line for years.   People like that always crack me up -- I can see them seeing somebody else say something they think's "witty" and, being utterly inequipped to write their own material, they jot it down thinking, "I wonder how cool that would say if I said it sometime!"   Dude's so low-watt he'd make an Easy Bake Oven like like a hadron collider.

Only reason I even boot him around is to hopefully entertain the rest of you who've had to put up with him for years, 'cuz the actual doing of it is about as much challenge as debating with a cortex-damaged parakeet.  No matter what you say, the luckiest you'll ever get is to be told he wants a cracker.  Dude's a sudoku puzzle with one blank square...

lol! lol! lol!

zsomething

I saw this in action -- conservatives were freaking out over this "antifa" post, and it was obviously fake.   It was actually embarrassing to watch them panic and start posting pictures of all their guns and shit, when all along it's one of their own spooking 'em.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/twitter-takes-down-washington-protest-disinformation-bot-behavior-n1221456

A Twitter account claiming to belong to a national “antifa” organization and pushing violent rhetoric related to ongoing protests has been linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, according to a Twitter spokesperson.

The spokesperson said the account violated the company's platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts. Twitter suspended the account after a tweet that incited violence.

As protests were taking place in multiple states across the U.S. Sunday night, the newly created account, @ANTIFA_US, tweeted, “Tonight’s the night, Comrades,” with a brown raised fist emoji and “Tonight we say 'F--- The City' and we move into the residential areas... the white hoods.... and we take what's ours …”

This isn’t the first time Twitter has taken action against fake accounts engaged in hateful conduct linked to Identity Evropa, according to the spokesperson.

The antifa movement — a network of loosely organized radical groups who use direct action to fight the far-right and fascism — has been targeted by President Donald Trump as the force behind some of the violence and property destruction seen at some protests, though little evidence has been provided for such claims.

More Antifakes.

Also, even more despicable, InfoWars faked a film of "Antifa" burning a homeless man's belongings.  The whole thing was obviously staged -- the main "antifa" guy, wearing a top-hat, was so sinister as he made a show of slowly treading out the guy's burning mattress that he might as well have been twirling a mustache.   Then the homeless guy ran and screamed "why are you doing this?" into the camera... which, by the way, would make it clear that the guy with the camera (an InfoWars cameraman) was in on it.   Also, one of the "antifa" guys was wearing an InfoWars cap.  They really suck at this shit.

I am hoping that the homeless guy was in on it and they got him to act in their little film by slipping him a few bucks.  Anyway, more bullshit to build up this fake "antifa" to build up fury and fear in Trump's base so they'll let him jail any political enemy he wants.

It's not the first time the right has made up fake "antifa" attacks, either. Candace Owens and Charlie Kirk got some of their staff to pose as "antifa" and throw water and eggs at them, as a means to get them attention and smear their enemies.   Nobody even fucking knew who Candace and Charlie were at the time, so why would anybody bother attacking 'em?  It was patently fucking false.   But these grifters have a lot of contempt for their own audience, like televangelists do for the rubes they trick money out of.    They know the people they're dealing with are dumb and will believe anything, so they don't hesitate to feed them bullshit.

Hell, last night FOX News claimed the historic church across the street from the White House was burning down, and it wasn't even on fire -- just a storage building.   Granted, nothing should have been burning, looting and burning is stupid and I don't like any of it being done, but FOX is shameless in their attempts to get Trump a "Reichstag fire" so he can exercise greater tyranny and have his base cheer him on.  And if you really wanna stir up that set of rubes into allowing murder or "Gitmo for Democrats," best way to do it is claim they're burning churches.

zsomething

And apparently now some cops are helping Trump escalate the violence so he can institute martial law... or, something, I don't know what the plan is, but you know those bricks that show up at protests?   Cops are planting 'em.

A (REALLY) Short Diary re: White supremacist infiltration of Minneapolis protests EZgWEogX0AApP9s?format=jpg&name=900x900

A (REALLY) Short Diary re: White supremacist infiltration of Minneapolis protests EZgWEorXQAMO_Ge?format=jpg&name=900x900

Why do the cops want more violence?  Why are right-wing groups making fake Antifa accounts?  

To spread fear and get the old, white, uptight frightened conservative base feeling so scared and threatened that they'll accept things like THIS:

A (REALLY) Short Diary re: White supremacist infiltration of Minneapolis protests EZi-JXxWoAElrn-?format=jpg&name=large

A (REALLY) Short Diary re: White supremacist infiltration of Minneapolis protests EZidQGVXgAIWKWg?format=jpg&name=small

Who are those guys?

Who knows?   They don't have any insignia, not even American flags on their gear.  When asked, they just say they "work for the Department of Justice."

Most likely they're mercenaries, most likely Blackwater operatives.   Betsy DeVos's brother is connected with them (although that's a really weird job for such a good Christian, but Christianity's gotten increasingly fucked up since right-wing politics kicked Jesus out of it) and has probably gotten a big contract with Trump.

And they don't want peaceful protests, because if people aren't more frightened of the protesters, then they'd be frightened of their own government using mercenaries against its own citizens.

And, even weirder, The Federalist is trying to report that (A) the crowd outside the White House were violent and rioting, and (B) that the cops didn't use tear gas to disperse them.   But if you were watching on TV, live, you could see that (A) those protesters who got chased away were being very peaceful, doing no more than chanting, and (B) fuck yes  the cops damn sure DID use tear gas, flashbangs, and rubber bullets to chase them away so "brave Sir Trump" would dare bring his timorous ass out of the White House to show Christians how STUPID he thinks they are by pandering to them by posing with a Bible in front of a church, like "It's this easy to manipulate you dumbshits."

So, we've officially reached the "you are not to believe what you see happening live, you are to believe what we tell you to believe" stage of things. Thanks, Federalist, I was really worried that our president was some kind of cowardly asshole who used force against people exercising their first amendment rights.

In a more amusing side to that, Republicans -- like they got marching orders to do it -- have been posting things about how "brave" Trump was to come out, how he's got "guts."   That whole photo-op thing happened because Trump got him fee-fee's hurted because people were calling him "bunker boy" for hiding under the White House, and he wanted to show off how tough he was, daring to come out after his army chased a peaceful crowd away.

I almost feel sorry for Trump supporters at this point, having to try to defend this.   Secretly, in their guts, they have to be kind of terrified that they're part of this kind of tyranny surfacing in America.   And this ain't no bullshit, I-don't-like-your-side kind of dictatorship claims that the conservatives did every time Obama did anything, or that liberals did whenever Dubya did something we didn't like.  Nope... this is the for-real shit.  You gotta be a Trump cultist not to see it.  I think even some of them see it... they just don't care, because they think they're safely on the side of the bully-boys.

zsomething

Here are some cops shoving a 75-year-old man to the ground. Watch out, it gets bloody.

The cops just let him lie there, blood coming out of his ears, twitching, maybe dying. They don't even check on him.

Then their report reads that he "tripped and fell."

Does that fucking look like "tripping and falling" to anybody? After a cop shoved the hell out of him?

Insane. The world is insane.

zsomething

Here are the people responsible for upholding the law, ladies and gentlemen.

If cops go around slashing tires, there's no justice, there's just us.

RealLindaL

Somebody tell me this didn't really happen.

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:People like that always crack me up -- I can see them seeing somebody else say something they think's "witty" and, being utterly inequipped to write their own material, they jot it down thinking, "I wonder how cool that would say if I said it sometime!"   Dude's so low-watt he'd make an Easy Bake Oven like like a hadron collider.

Funny thing, 'cause that's exactly what I thought when I read your hadron collider comment -- that I might want to use it someday. It'd be apropos applied to Trump, for instance.

zsomething

RealLindaL wrote:Somebody tell me this didn't really happen.

Well, Yahoo's got it on their front page now, and they do verify things so they won't make fools of themselves... so, looks legit.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/minneapolis-police-shown-video-slashing-224400550.html

We need another police force to watch the first police force...

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

And now for something calm and rational:

PkrBum

PkrBum

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:

If you were the listening type, which you're not, or you would be gone, you would know that at times it's easier to hear what's being said when you close your eyes. There's no context here.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

If you were the listening type, which you're not, or you would be gone, you would know that at times it's easier to hear what's being said when you close your eyes.  There's no context here.

Lol... you're lost in space.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Those damn white supremacists.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/minnesota-freedom-fund-reveals-only-200000-millions-donations-has-been-spent-bail-out-1511097%3famp=1

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://oversight.house.gov/sites/democrats.oversight.house.gov/files/2020-06-15.CBM%20JR%20SFL%20to%20Barr-DOJ%20and%20Wray-FBI%20reWhite%20Supremacists%20at%20Protests.pdf

June 15, 2020

The Honorable William P. Barr
Attorney General
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C., 20530

The Honorable Christopher Wray
Director
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535

Dear Attorney General Barr and Director Wray:

"We are troubled that the Trump Administration has repeatedly levied baseless
accusations against demonstrators protesting racial discrimination in the U.S. criminal justice system by labelling them “Antifa” terrorists, while refusing to condemn or even acknowledge white supremacists and other far-right extremists who have sought to exploit the protests to advance their own racist ideological objectives and plans for a race war.
The Trump Administration’s decision to ignore the involvement of white supremacist groups in these protests in favor of spreading wildly exaggerated rumors about Antifa has only served to encourage right-wing militias provoking violence, to delegitimize the grievances of peaceful protestors, and to add serious danger, intimidation, and fear to already emotionally
charged situations.

Overwhelming Evidence of White Supremacist Attempts to Interfere in Recent Protests

At demonstrations across the country, far-right extremists have appeared at rallies, sometimes with assault rifles, as part of a loosely organized network of white supremacist and anti-government organizations seeking to spark violence between activists and police forces..."

zsomething

Since this is where I was talking about a lot of conservative propaganda, I figure this'll fit this thread even though it's a slightly different topic. And I didn't wanna start a whole new one just because I'm in the mood to make fun of something... Smile If it's boring, skip it - yer not gonna miss anything all that profound, I'm just in a rambling mood.

https://news.yahoo.com/conservatives-laser-focus-owning-libs-191115709.html

Here's some excerpts, with mockery:

When President Donald Trump ran for office four years ago, a conservative writer with a growing following vented the kind of doubt and cynicism that was common among people like her who worried about the damage he could do to their cause. She called him “a demagogue with no real solutions for anything at all.” She accused him of betraying the anti-abortion movement. And she wrote that his constant complaining about being treated unfairly was “ineffectual and impotent.”

Today, that writer, Mollie Hemingway, is one of Trump’s favorites. Her pieces for The Federalist, where she is a senior editor, have earned presidential retweets and affirmation for their scathing criticism of Democrats and the media, whom she accuses of lying about just about everything when it comes to the president.

In other words, their integrity is more of a convenience thing. Fight the guy until he wins... the fall right in line with everything he does and become the same person you were criticizing before. Basically, do the good ol' conservative thing and become a hypocrite.

How many of us have seen people who "don't like Trump and think he's a clown" who'll yet defend everything he does, and attack anybody who criticizes him? All of us.

Recently she claimed that journalists had fabricated reports about tear gas and the excessive use of force against protesters outside the White House (law enforcement, in fact, has acknowledged shooting a pepper-based irritant into the crowd) and said “a large group of Democrats” was defending the destruction of federal property (there is no such group).

I'm a huge fan of the new conservative trick of "you didn't see that stuff you saw on video, it never happened!" No matter how many spent gas rounds you show 'em, they keep denying it. They're used to their base, who will gladly disbelieve anything they see in favor of what they're told to think... and they've started thinking the rest of the world is that gullible, too. Sorry, kids, doesn't work like that.

Instead, they offer an outlet for outrage against those the president has declared his enemies, often by reducing them to a culture war caricature of liberalism.

I know a lot of liberals, many of whom annoy the hell out of me, but I don't know any who resemble the strawmen that the right keep attacking.

The capacity that many Trump supporters have developed to focus so intensely on the perceived wrongdoing of his opponents is a powerful asset for the president as he runs for reelection amid growing economic and social turmoil and a public health crisis that a majority of voters say they don’t trust him to handle.

"The capacity" being a nice-fella way of saying "brainwashing." That's a fundamental of cults: seeing yourself as persecuted by some opposition, which seldom resembles the people who are actually against you or what they're actually doing. Most of the time Trump's cultists like to hold their opponents responsible for things they think that they MIGHT do, as if they've already done them.

Think back to when Obama was in office, and all the things the conservatives hated about him. How many were actual things that he did, and how many were things they were sure he was gonna do... but didn't? It's heavily stacked toward that fear of the "gonna" rather than actual grievance against the "did."

This almost entirely white cohort of conservative commentators can spend ample time mocking the mainstream and liberal media for focusing on Trump’s racist and divisive messaging without giving nearly as much consideration to the harm caused, for instance, when he promotes a video of someone shouting “white power.”

Note how if reporters just show video of Trump saying things, conservatives will still claim it's "bias." If anyone accurately repeats what Trump has said, then they're "biased," even though there's not any other way to report on that stuff honestly. Sometimes it's not "bias." Sometimes your side just really is that bad.

Through this lens, Trump’s transgressions seem irrelevant compared with the manifold misdeeds of everyone from the Clintons to CNN.

Good ol' what-about-ism. Where would conservatives be without it? Smile

Their portrayal of what the country would look like if the Democrats win big in November is indeed a frightening one to Trump supporters: a White House with Sen. Bernie Sanders as the shadow socialist president; a Democratic House of Representatives where Rep. Ilhan Omar calls the shots; a society in which mask mandates are the first step in a government experiment with social control; a political arena where conservatives are badgered into silence.

See? Fear of a fantasy in their own heads.

The mask thing is especially odd. Somehow they think wearing a mask during a pandemic is a "road to tyranny." When battling a virus caused by droplet spread, it's obviously the best, easiest protection against it. It's common sense and far from unreasonable. And yet, because Trump has told them to, they pitch a big ol' six-titty airedale bitch about it, and scream about all kinds of nonsensical conspiracies.

Whether you enjoy wearing a mask (who does?) or not, it does make absolute sense in the situation we're in, and there is absolutely nothing about it that leads to tyranny. The arguments against it are nonsense, and based entirely on doing Trump's bidding in the face of all common sense.

And then they get mad if you call 'em a cult.

To many conservatives these scenarios seem perfectly plausible, especially as some prominent figures on the right contend that their voices are unwelcome in mainstream media — and even some liberals face a backlash for arguing that shaming and ostracism of opposing points of view has grown too common.

It's not that their voices would be unwelcome... it's that nobody has a desire to listen to people tell hysterical lies. If conservatives would make logical, fact-based arguments, then they'd be heard. Refuted, perhaps, but heard. But when they're just spreading absolute horseshit, they can't really get mad when their horseshit isn't regarded on the same level as actual facts. I'm sorry, but people spewing "QAnon" crap don't deserve respect. It's not "ostracism of opposing points of view" to point out when something's not only a lie, but a silly one.

“There are a lot of conservatives reading ‘1984’ right now,” said Allie Beth Stuckey,

Laughing I don't believe there are ever a lot of conservatives reading ANYTHING. I live in a state thick with these fucks, and readers they are NOT. At best they'll listen to books on tape, but if you want to discuss literature with them, you're gonna have a lousy time because the wide percentage of 'em haven't read a book in high school, and they most likely lied about that.

who hosts a podcast, “Relatable,” and is the author of a forthcoming book on self-esteem, “You’re Not Enough (And That’s OK).”

The follow up to that inspirational best-seller, You're A Piece of Crap, Get Used To It.

Stuckey has a growing fan base and a large platform through her affiliations with right-leaning outfits like Turning Point USA and PragerU that are aimed at reaching millennials.

See? Total liar propaganda outfits. Those places simultaneously (A) brag that they're the biggest things on YouTube and (B) are "oppressed" and "being censored." And all the time they lie and lie and lie and make absolutely ridiculous, dishonest arguments.

While she does not go out of her way to defend the president, she said she got the sense from her audience that there are a lot of young women like her: socially conservative and religious, who sometimes cringe at Trump’s behavior but don’t let it bother them overall.

So, essentially, hypocrites.

“There’s fear. It’s real fear. And I understand if you’re not a conservative it’s hard to be empathetic, and it seems like an exaggeration,”Stuckey said. “But like the same kind of fear on the left that Trump is a unique threat to the country, there’s a real fear on the right, especially I would say from Christians, of what the country would look like under a Democratic president.”

Christians just spent 8 years under a Democratic president and they did just fine. Honestly, any Christian who claims to be "oppressed" in America is laughably full of shit. They run roughshod over the country and then cry if any secular law prevents them from overreach. That's not "oppression," it's just not allowing you a theocracy and preserving rights for non-Christians... which a lot of Christians don't think should be a thing that exists.

The thread of commentary that isn’t explicitly pro-Trump as much as it is witheringly anti-left has blossomed into a big business,

See? The right is both "oppressed and silenced," and is big business. Nice trick if you can pull that off.

Honestly, that's what's wrong with the country, and why everyone's so divided. It has become immensely profitable to fill the heads of stupid people with alarmist, untrue bullshit. Creating division is a major money-making business now.

If you get down to basics, conservatives and liberals pretty much want the same things for the country. We have different ideas about how to implement them, and if you can draw people away from their propaganda for a bit, not let Hannity tell them what they're supposed to think, conservatives will even agree with a lot of "liberal" ideas... if they don't know they're "liberal."

Like, right now my right-wing co-worker is alll excited about maybe getting a second "stimulus check."

Of course, that "stimulus check" is frickin' socialism. Ain't no way around that, at all. That's more socialist than anything Bernie Sanders has done in his entire life. Even I'm not completely comfortable with it, although I'm not gonna sneer at free money. But she freakin' LOOOOVVVES the idea. AND constantly expresses fear of "socialism," which is a thing she understands about as well as a dog understands an internal combustion engine. She frets over her social security... not realizing that's socialism. She loves the fire department (socialism) and bitches about toll roads (not socialism, although the free roads are), likes the USPS better than the (capitalist) UPS and Fed-EX, etc. If she really understood what she was trained to hate and fear, she wouldn't hate and fear it. But, good churchgoer that she is, she does what the authority figures tell her. And there are always people willing to make a big profit from being one of those authority figures. YouTube, especially, is full of them.

Ben Shapiro, host of one of the most successful podcasts in the country and the author of best-selling books. His most recent is “How to Destroy America in Three Easy Steps,” in which he offers a stark take on how for many Americans, the president’s “serious character flaws simply become secondary concerns” when they see the threat from the “rising tide of radicalism from the left.”.

I am not entirely sure that Ben Shapiro isn't a muppet. I'm going to require an X-ray before I can drop that idea.

In this line of attack, Shapiro echoes other conservatives who deflect: Trump wasn’t helping anyone, for instance, by asking top public health officials to study whether disinfectant could be injected into the human body as a coronavirus treatment. But, Shapiro explained he didn’t actually tell people to put bleach in their bodies. “That doesn’t mean he was recommending actually injecting Clorox, people.”

Nah. Just the equivalent of injecting Clorox.

Seeing people defend Trump's absurd shit is hilarious to me, 'cuz they gotta sit down and put on some clown shoes before they can even start. Some things you have no real choice but to go ahead and say, "The president's a fuckin' idiot." At least, if you want to be taken seriously.

Some media scholars see the desire to pick apart Trump’s critics as a form of entertainment disinformation. “They try to get you not to believe other kinds of information that you might hear in the larger media sphere, and it’s just fun,” said Khadijah White, a professor at Rutgers University who studies race, gender and the media. “It’s really fun to see the other side lose. And that just buttresses the idea that maybe Trump is corrupt, but they’re corrupt, too.”

Try to get you not to believe completely crazy lies, you mean. See, that's the thing: the two arguments aren't equal at this point. If they were, that'd be one thing, but right now we have "Facts about Trump" against "insane conspiracy theories like QAnon, propaganda from Epoch Times and FOX News, and flat-out lies." The two things are not, by any means, equal. Conservatives like to pretend that they are, though, because if they were forced to rely on actual facts about Trump, they have no ammo at all.

Honestly, there is nothing this guy's done that's been successful. Even when the economy was kickin', it all was lower and slower than that of his predecessor. When you implement a tax cut and massive deregulation and everything goes DOWN instead of UP, albeit slightly, then you really have no case that tax cuts and deregulation help the economy, now do ya? And those are really the only tools in the conservative tool box.

The results prove them ineffective. So, what else ya got? Nothing. That's why they bring out the lies and the horseshit. If they had actual data, they'd be using it. But they don't, because data that supports them... doesn't exist.

“The conservative ideology that had been cohesive during the Cold War is falling apart,” said Nicole Hemmer, a research scholar at Columbia University. “It seems to me that ‘owning the libs’ is kind of the way you hold everyone together when your policy preferences are coming apart.”

That's really all they've got now. There's no track record of success to run on, so the only thing fueling them is "liberals are annoying." And that's often true enough -- a lot of 'em irritate the hell out of me -- but I vote like I vote not out of love of "the left," but because I've seen, very clearly and with overwhelming evidence, that the right is a huge failure. It's hard to live in Mississippi and think conservatism works in any way, shape, or form for a normal working person.

Republicans who are no fans of Trump or the turn that their party has taken under him say that its fuming commentariat is a symptom of a deeper problem: its inability to govern. Though the GOP controls half of Washington, its leading voices still often sound like the aggrieved opposition party.

That's the fun thing: when they're in power, they still make excuses for not doing good jobs. It's like "if we were running things they'd be great"... even when they ARE running things. They don't let success stop 'em from acting like losers.

“Ask them what they are building, and they can’t answer,” said Evan McMullin, who ran against Trump in 2016 as a third-party candidate. “They aren’t trying to build anything. They’re just tearing things down.”

Bring a cow into a cathedral, it's still gonna be a cow.

During the 2018 midterm elections, Republican candidates ran ads that portrayed Democrats as socialists who would let drug gangs roam free on suburban streets. These messages largely failed because people didn’t believe them.

They act like Dems have never been in power before. They try to scare their dumbass base with all these scary things that would happen under a Dem... and those things didn't happen when there was a Dem, so... why believe 'em now?

Tim Miller, a former adviser to Republican candidates, said one of the problems with the right today is its attempt to make isolated incidents and marginal political figures seem representative of the entire Democratic Party. “What the president says isn’t important,”Miller said, “but what this city alderman running in Chicago says is.”

They DEFINITELY overplay this. Think about how much they rail against AOC. She's a representative of a small district, has views that 90% of Democrats do not really share (you can argue that's a good or bad thing, but it's true nonetheless), and really doesn't have much power at all, yet to hear Republicans going on about her you'd think she was the leader of the entire party. Mostly they do it because she's easy for their base to hate because she's (A) a woman and (B) Latinx. They don't like seeing females or brown folks wielding any power at all.

Honestly, you get propagandists like Candace Owens claiming the GOP is better for people of color, but let's get to the nitty-gritty on this: which party elects the most people of color and thus gives them more of a say in regards to how they're governed? I'll give you a hint: it's the party that's NOT the Republicans. And it's not even close.

Republicans and the Trump campaign are pushing those themes again today, focusing on images of unrest from protests in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle. But there are signs that this messaging is out of step with the majority of Americans who support the overwhelmingly peaceful demonstrations nationwide against racism that followed the killing of George Floyd.

This is the other fun thing: they like to take issues that most Americans really aren't that divided on (I've seen plenty of conservatives agreeing that George Floyd was flat-out murdered) but then trying to portray them as somehow "bad." The vast majority of these protests have been peaceful. Most of the violence has been due to (A) right-wingers posing as "Antifa," as I exhibited earlier in this thread (and should have updated because a lot more cases of that have come up since), and (B) cops -- under Trump's "Operation Legend" orders -- attacking people and causing the situations to become more violent.

Anyway, the GOP has become a party that is on a life-support system of propaganda. It's literally running on bullshit and very little else at this point. And it's been that way for quite some time. They like to say that Trump caused it, but mostly what Trump has done is reveal it. Trump's a crazy idiot and doesn't know that he's supposed to keep what they're doing on the down-low. He thinks their base is stupid so doing legerdemain with 'em is a waste of effort. Sadly, a lot of them are proving him right... they'll do whatever they're told, no matter how lousy Trump is. But, the sane ones are freaking out and doubling-down on the propaganda, trying to keep the rest of the base controlled. And it's getting harder for them every day...

Floridatexan, Telstar and RealLindaL like this post

zsomething

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/8/26/1972531/-We-Now-Know-That-White-Supremacy-Groups-Are-Responsible-For-Much-Of-The-Violence-Blamed-On-BLM?utm_campaign=trending

Just adding this link because I'm using this thread as an ammo dump for when I argue with morons who buy into this "organized and funded Antifa" myth. The right is buying into that handy catch-all that Trump can use to arrest anyone he wants (how ya gonna prove you're not a member of a secret organization that doesn't actually exist as an organization?) the way they buy into other crazy shit like "QAnon." We're not dealing with rational people anymore. The rational ones have vacated the premises (many can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/c/RepublicanVotersAgainstTrump/videos ) and what's left is just a psychotic cult.

Honestly, I don't know how we'll ever get rid of 'em. With that many crazy fucking people in this country -- with a contingent of crazy bitter-Bernie-or-busters who are damn near just as loonie on the other side -- I think America's probably seen its best days and we're all gonna have to live out the rest of our span in the shitty idiotic rubble that remains.

zsomething

Just more for the ammo dump.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-militias-proud-boys-trump-u-s-armed-violence-1.9069770

Since the killing of George Floyd, I’ve been tracking vigilante incidents against anti-racist protesters and people of color across the U.S. My count is up to about 425: they include the throwing of lighter fluid and burning an 18-year old bi-racial Jewish woman in her car in Wisconsin, the attempted lynch of a Black man in the woods in Indiana, and the gang beating and stabbing-by-flagpole of a small group of antifascists in a ditch by "Blue Lives Matter" protesters in Colorado.

Most recently, and a drastic example, was a pipe bomb attack on protesters in Portland, Oregon: the perpetrator has been identified as an ex-Navy SEAL with a history of posting antisemitic Nazi propaganda and Soros conspiracy theories on social media.

Most of these incidents appear to have been carried out by violent radicalized individuals with little to no specific training. However, the Portland incident fits an emerging pattern: an increasingly coordinated right-wing vigilante movement, fueled by organizers with counterinsurgency skills, committed to using their military or security forces experience against Black Lives Matter and the ever-amorphous "Antifa."

Their tactics arsenal includes the infiltration of local demonstrations as provocateurs to stir up violence, delegitimize the protests and invite a far harsher police response.

It’s not new that far-right activists inserting themselves in civil protest movements have come from military service and the ranks of the police, or that street militia actively recruit from those pools. Five years ago, the Oath Keepers, an extremist paramilitary organization drawing members form the police and armed services, did just that in Ferguson, Missouri and other places.

A number of members were arrested for criminal activity, often involving illegal weapons or explosives charges. A militia born in the Tea Party era dedicated defending the Constitution against a "tyrannical" government, Oath Keepers have had a number of members arrested for criminal activity, often involving illegal weapons or explosives charges.

But now, since right-wing militias now feel that the serving U.S. president is on their team, they are refocusing their message: No longer anti-government, but anti-opposition.

That evolution has been apparent ever since Donald Trump’s election. Straight after his November 2016 win, the far right, including a hodgepodge of street-fighting young militants, transient biker gangs, and rural militiamen, took to the streets, adopting an aggressive posture targeted at liberal U.S. cities, despite widespread local opposition. Their message: We’re in power now.

I witnessed this newly empowered right-wing violence first hand, in Portland, a city once known as the skinhead capital of America but which had been largely free from open far-right violence for decades.

As the Trump presidency brought fresh blood into the militia movement and pitched battles erupted in cities across the U.S., rural and urban groups, pro-Trump and anti-government groups began mingling and synthesizing. The Proud Boys, self-styled "Western chauvinists" with their own particular dress code and memes, started appearing in various cities in military fatigues and brandishing assault rifles.

As the COVID-19 crisis accelerated, they mobilized to "occupy" state capitol buildings, formally protesting lockdown regulations they considered a form of totalitarianism, turning out in their thousands with AR-15s and combat gear. From Washington to Michigan, Wisconsin to Kentucky, the far right found a locus point around which to organize and maneuver.

Another extremist group with a distinct iconography, the "Boogaloo boys" emerged: often heavily armed, they see their mission as accelerationists, agitating for what they see as an inevitable "Second Civil War." Some argue for left-right anti-government alliances to organize for the coming insurrection.

When police killed George Floyd in Minneapolis, triggering widespread protesting, the far right and its Boogaloo auxiliaries recognized an opportunity.

According to city police, the very first instigator of rioting in Minneapolis was a white supremacist intent on stoking racial tension and violence; he was spotted with the Aryan Cowboys biker gang a month later harrassing a Muslim woman and child in a Minneapolis suburb. He had been nicknamed "Umbrella Man" because viral footage showed him holding an umbrella and smashing the windows to an auto parts store.

This was only the first episode of far right infiltration and provocation. In Tampa Bay, Florida, white supremacist "groyper army" leader, Nick Fuentes, entered a protest against racism dressed as a Boogaloo boy, even appearing on mainstream news in what appeared a party-like atmosphere.

A little over a week later, a Proud Boy skulked into the Seattle occupied protest. A few days later, an armed Proud Boy with a penchant for Confederate flags inserted himself in a protest in Indianapolis to "defend" shops from looters. In Florence, Alabama, a couple of weeks later, a member of the far right attempted to infiltrate a protest with a flag decorated with Marx, Engels, Lenin and Stalin, trying somewhat pathetically to draw a visual parallel between protesters and what the pro-Trump media constantly frame as subversive far left "anarchists."

These examples of infiltration, incitement and counter-intelligence tactics are forms of "entryism," whereby provocateurs insert themselves in mainstream protest movements either to co-opt them or destroy them from within. Although not exclusive to the far right, it is a modus operandi well-established in far-right activism.

Entryism was deployed by fascists in post-war Italy with some success, derailing some Autonomist groups and framing anarchists for violent attacks against civilians. It was also used by the so-called "National-Anarchist Movement," whose former member Craig Fitzgerald is now a Proud Boy and member of the so-called New Mexico Civil Guard, which New Mexico state authorities have characterized as "an unaccountable vigilante militia, endangering the safety of Bernalillo County’s residents, visitors, and law-enforcement officers."

Over the last few months, there has been a worrying change in the tactics and tenor of recent far right entryism, provocateurism and deliberate conflict.

From being a panoply of disorganized and marginal micro-groups, there is a new spirit of organization, tactical experience and militarized violence, and it is a reasonable assumption that that ‘upgrade’ is being led by the increasing involvement and profile of counterinsurgency veterans, former CIA contractors, and law enforcement officers in the anti-protest far right.

"Mike Glover
@mikeaglover1
I started an organization to stand prepared to defend life, property, and the CONSTITUTION of the United States against roque and violent organizations including Antifa, BLM, and any other insurgent movement intent on destroying our country. It’s called the American Contingency."

One key and intriguing facilitator of this trend is a new website with a secure server and social media app customized for far right needs. "American Contingency" – slogan: "Prepare. Mobilize. Defend" – was developed by Mike Glover, former Green Beret and CIA contractor and current Instagram influencer.

Under the "Mobilize" slogan, AMCON enjoins users to "Have a geographical understanding of your compatriots and where allies are in your region."

And that’s what the app and site offer: shareable "security briefings" and "intel" for a broad social network of regionally-organized vigilantes – and specifically offers police officers the same access. In an American Contingency update on YouTube, Glover claims that police officers are "part of this network."

Oath Keepers, fascists, QAnon believers, military veterans, and former law enforcement are all active participants. $5 per month allows users to view all posts and comment on them, such as photos from counter-protests, and organizing for local meetups. One user estimated, perhaps generously, there were some 18,000 registered users. At the bottom of each webpage there is a counter showing the hours, minutes and seconds left until election day, with the tag: "Will you be ready?"

It is in American Contingency’s own mission statements that its militia-speak and extremist ideology is laid bare, as well as its specific 2020 twist. The United States and the west have, apparently, been under continuous "globalist" and "Marxist" assault since the early 1900’s. Right now the "international elite" in collusion with "international progressive" and "Islamofascist" elements seek "the overthrow of the United States” to establish a Marxist “new world order" – "total control of the global population allowing for the imposition of global government."

Who constitutes these grave threats to American life and liberty? They’re quite varied. AMCON’s list takes in Antifa, BLM, George Soros’ Open Society Institute, Democratic Socialists of America, the National Lawyers Guild and CAIR – but also China, Russia, Hezbollah, ISIS, Iran, Cuba and Pakistan.

In this grand conspiracy, antifascism and jihadism are in cahoots: indeed, according to one of Glover’s recommended reading resources, "The Left is America’s original 'civilizational jihad.'" Little wonder he rails against the old antisemitic trope of "Cultural Marxism" too. Needless to say, no far-right domestic group makes the list.

Glover’s Instagram account is followed by a tactical training company called Red Frog Team set up by a Portland-area resident named Louis Garrick Fernbaugh, who according to his social media profiles is a former Navy SEAL and CIA contractor. Fernbaugh has shared anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda online, and has publicly claimed to have infiltrated the daily protests occurring around Portland over more than 70 days. In a Facebook post, Fernbaugh writes, "I'm surprised no one has slaughtered these sheep that have grown horns (ANTIFA)."

According to activists in Portland, it was Fernbaugh who threw pipebombs at protesters and media in the early morning hours of August 8. A protester’s video shortly after the blasts captures a man holding a tactical helmet complete with night vision goggles, who cautions the cameraman, "I'm not the guy you want to fuck with." Despite Fernbaugh being personally identified by acquaintances on local news channels, police have not verified him as a suspect.

Fernbaugh’s social media posts express a violent hatred of Antifa (equating what he describes as Soros-funded leftist radicals with ISIS and al-Qaeda). His right-wing ideology, extensive military training, and infiltration claims fit the profile of a new kind of domestic terrorist, thriving in the ecosystem of the contemporary far-right.

Veterans have turned to hate in the past: just two examples are Klansman Louis Beam and Oklahoma City Bomber Timothy McVeigh; they have even become leaders of far-right political movements, such as former Special Forces lieutenant colonel-turned Christian Identity warrior Bo Gritz. But those vets’ efforts to "bring the war home" did not have the same fertile conditions to take root as now – nor to seriously challenge the democratic system.

Today, the far right’s appeal to decorated military veterans may have more sway. The narrative is simple: Police are losing stature, riots are taking over cities. And the clock is ticking towards the November elections. In the event of a Trump victory, the police will be overwhelmed, and will need backup from militia members trained in in counterinsurgency techniques.

Influencers like Glover, who is half South Korean, insist they are not racist and denounce white supremacist posts, but their rhetoric about "Cultural Marxism" and other conspiracy theories are an open door for violent antisemites and fascists to use their platforms.

That crossover is already happening: Fernbaugh won a glowing profile on the Veterans News Report, whose sister site is the anti-Semitic disinformation site Veterans Today, whose board members include Mike Harris, a man with ties to the National Socialist Movement, and Kevin Barrett, who attends Iran’s Holocaust deniers and fascists conferences

I myself have often heard right wing activists state sincerely that they see their role at recent protests as preventing looting and defending free speech – and then turn around and brutally attack left-wing protesters. Only this time, they have clear civilian targets and a President who eggs them on.

There seems no doubt that America’s far right is keying up for conflict in the lead-up and aftermath of the presidential election in three months’ time.

Unlike at any time previously, they are enabled by technology to more effectively organize locally and incite violence as a collective enterprise; they have recruited military and security force veterans; in some cases, they seem to have implicit backing from police officers themselves; they have an apocalyptic and mobilizing hostility towards "Antifa" and BLM that is no longer a fringe position on the right; and they have a president floating the idea of rejecting an unfavorable election result.

If Trump refuses to acknowledge the results, his militias are certainly prepped to come out into the streets to prevent a peaceful transfer of power – or, as the far right prefer to call it, a "Democratic coup."

Alexander Reid Ross is a Lecturer in Geography at Portland State University. He is the author of "Against the Fascist Creep" (AK Press, 2017). Twitter: @areidross

Floridatexan likes this post

gatorfan

zsomething wrote:Just more for the ammo dump.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-militias-proud-boys-trump-u-s-armed-violence-1.9069770

Since the killing of George Floyd, I’ve been tracking vigilante incidents against anti-racist protesters and people of color across the U.S. My count is up to about 425: they include the throwing of lighter fluid and burning an 18-year old bi-racial Jewish woman in her car in Wisconsin, the attempted lynch of a Black man in the woods in Indiana, and the gang beating and stabbing-by-flagpole of a small group of antifascists in a ditch by "Blue Lives Matter" protesters in Colorado.

Most recently, and a drastic example, was a pipe bomb attack on protesters in Portland, Oregon: the perpetrator has been identified as an ex-Navy SEAL with a history of posting antisemitic Nazi propaganda and Soros conspiracy theories on social media.

Most of these incidents appear to have been carried out by violent radicalized individuals with little to no specific training. However, the Portland incident fits an emerging pattern: an increasingly coordinated right-wing vigilante movement, fueled by organizers with counterinsurgency skills, committed to using their military or security forces experience against Black Lives Matter and the ever-amorphous "Antifa."

Their tactics arsenal includes the infiltration of local demonstrations as provocateurs to stir up violence, delegitimize the protests and invite a far harsher police response.

It’s not new that far-right activists inserting themselves in civil protest movements have come from military service and the ranks of the police, or that street militia actively recruit from those pools. Five years ago, the Oath Keepers, an extremist paramilitary organization drawing members form the police and armed services, did just that in Ferguson, Missouri and other places.

A number of members were arrested for criminal activity, often involving illegal weapons or explosives charges. A militia born in the Tea Party era dedicated defending the Constitution against a "tyrannical" government, Oath Keepers have had a number of members arrested for criminal activity, often involving illegal weapons or explosives charges.

But now, since right-wing militias now feel that the serving U.S. president is on their team, they are refocusing their message: No longer anti-government, but anti-opposition.

That evolution has been apparent ever since Donald Trump’s election. Straight after his November 2016 win, the far right, including a hodgepodge of street-fighting young militants, transient biker gangs, and rural militiamen, took to the streets, adopting an aggressive posture targeted at liberal U.S. cities, despite widespread local opposition. Their message: We’re in power now.

I witnessed this newly empowered right-wing violence first hand, in Portland, a city once known as the skinhead capital of America but which had been largely free from open far-right violence for decades.

As the Trump presidency brought fresh blood into the militia movement and pitched battles erupted in cities across the U.S., rural and urban groups, pro-Trump and anti-government groups began mingling and synthesizing. The Proud Boys, self-styled "Western chauvinists" with their own particular dress code and memes, started appearing in various cities in military fatigues and brandishing assault rifles.

As the COVID-19 crisis accelerated, they mobilized to "occupy" state capitol buildings, formally protesting lockdown regulations they considered a form of totalitarianism, turning out in their thousands with AR-15s and combat gear. From Washington to Michigan, Wisconsin to Kentucky, the far right found a locus point around which to organize and maneuver.

Another extremist group with a distinct iconography, the "Boogaloo boys" emerged: often heavily armed, they see their mission as accelerationists, agitating for what they see as an inevitable "Second Civil War." Some argue for left-right anti-government alliances to organize for the coming insurrection.

When police killed George Floyd in Minneapolis, triggering widespread protesting, the far right and its Boogaloo auxiliaries recognized an opportunity.

According to city police, the very first instigator of rioting in Minneapolis was a white supremacist intent on stoking racial tension and violence; he was spotted with the Aryan Cowboys biker gang a month later harrassing a Muslim woman and child in a Minneapolis suburb. He had been nicknamed "Umbrella Man" because viral footage showed him holding an umbrella and smashing the windows to an auto parts store.

This was only the first episode of far right infiltration and provocation. In Tampa Bay, Florida, white supremacist "groyper army" leader, Nick Fuentes, entered a protest against racism dressed as a Boogaloo boy, even appearing on mainstream news in what appeared a party-like atmosphere.

A little over a week later, a Proud Boy skulked into the Seattle occupied protest. A few days later, an armed Proud Boy with a penchant for Confederate flags inserted himself in a protest in Indianapolis to "defend" shops from looters. In Florence, Alabama, a couple of weeks later, a member of the far right attempted to infiltrate a protest with a flag decorated with Marx, Engels, Lenin and Stalin, trying somewhat pathetically to draw a visual parallel between protesters and what the pro-Trump media constantly frame as subversive far left "anarchists."

These examples of infiltration, incitement and counter-intelligence tactics are forms of "entryism," whereby provocateurs insert themselves in mainstream protest movements  either to co-opt them or destroy them from within. Although not exclusive to the far right, it is a modus operandi well-established in far-right activism.

Entryism was deployed by fascists in post-war Italy with some success, derailing some Autonomist groups and framing anarchists for violent attacks against civilians. It was also used by the so-called "National-Anarchist Movement," whose former member Craig Fitzgerald is now a Proud Boy and member of the so-called New Mexico Civil Guard, which New Mexico state authorities have characterized as "an unaccountable vigilante militia, endangering the safety of Bernalillo County’s residents, visitors, and law-enforcement officers."

Over the last few months, there has been a worrying change in the tactics and tenor of recent far right entryism, provocateurism and deliberate conflict.

From being a panoply of disorganized and marginal micro-groups, there is a new spirit of organization, tactical experience and militarized violence, and it is a reasonable assumption that that ‘upgrade’ is being led by the increasing involvement and profile of counterinsurgency veterans, former CIA contractors, and law enforcement officers in the anti-protest far right.

"Mike Glover
@mikeaglover1
I started an organization to stand prepared to defend life, property, and the CONSTITUTION of the United States against roque and violent organizations including Antifa, BLM, and any other insurgent movement intent on destroying our country. It’s called the American Contingency."

One key and intriguing facilitator of this trend is a new website with a secure server and social media app customized for far right needs. "American Contingency" – slogan: "Prepare. Mobilize. Defend" – was developed by Mike Glover, former Green Beret and CIA contractor and current Instagram influencer.

Under the "Mobilize" slogan, AMCON enjoins users to "Have a geographical understanding of your compatriots and where allies are in your region."

And that’s what the app and site offer: shareable "security briefings" and "intel" for a broad social network of regionally-organized vigilantes – and specifically offers police officers the same access. In an American Contingency update on YouTube, Glover claims that police officers are "part of this network."

Oath Keepers, fascists, QAnon believers, military veterans, and former law enforcement are all active participants. $5 per month allows users to view all posts and comment on them, such as photos from counter-protests, and organizing for local meetups. One user estimated, perhaps generously, there were some 18,000 registered users. At the bottom of each webpage there is a counter showing the hours, minutes and seconds left until election day, with the tag: "Will you be ready?"

It is in American Contingency’s own mission statements that its militia-speak and extremist ideology is laid bare, as well as its specific 2020 twist. The United States and the west have, apparently, been under continuous "globalist" and "Marxist" assault since the early 1900’s. Right now the "international elite" in collusion with "international progressive" and "Islamofascist" elements seek "the overthrow of the United States” to establish a Marxist “new world order" – "total control of the global population allowing for the imposition of global government."

Who constitutes these grave threats to American life and liberty? They’re quite varied. AMCON’s list takes in Antifa, BLM, George Soros’ Open Society Institute, Democratic Socialists of America, the National Lawyers Guild and CAIR – but also China, Russia, Hezbollah, ISIS, Iran, Cuba and Pakistan.  

In this grand conspiracy, antifascism and jihadism are in cahoots: indeed, according to one of Glover’s recommended reading resources, "The Left is America’s original 'civilizational jihad.'" Little wonder he rails against the old antisemitic trope of "Cultural Marxism" too. Needless to say, no far-right domestic group makes the list.

Glover’s Instagram account is followed by a tactical training company called Red Frog Team set up by a Portland-area resident named Louis Garrick Fernbaugh, who according to his social media profiles is a former Navy SEAL and CIA contractor. Fernbaugh has shared anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda online, and has publicly claimed to have infiltrated the daily protests occurring around Portland over more than 70 days. In a Facebook post, Fernbaugh writes, "I'm surprised no one has slaughtered these sheep that have grown horns (ANTIFA)."

According to activists in Portland, it was Fernbaugh who threw pipebombs at protesters and media in the early morning hours of August 8. A protester’s video shortly after the blasts captures a man holding a tactical helmet complete with night vision goggles, who cautions the cameraman, "I'm not the guy you want to fuck with." Despite Fernbaugh being personally identified by acquaintances on local news channels, police have not verified him as a suspect.

Fernbaugh’s social media posts express a violent hatred of Antifa (equating what he describes as Soros-funded leftist radicals with ISIS and al-Qaeda). His right-wing ideology, extensive military training, and infiltration claims fit the profile of a new kind of domestic terrorist, thriving in the ecosystem of the contemporary far-right.

Veterans have turned to hate in the past: just two examples are Klansman Louis Beam and Oklahoma City Bomber Timothy McVeigh; they have even become leaders of far-right political movements, such as former Special Forces lieutenant colonel-turned Christian Identity warrior Bo Gritz. But those vets’ efforts to "bring the war home" did not have the same fertile conditions to take root as now – nor to seriously challenge the democratic system.

Today, the far right’s appeal to decorated military veterans may have more sway. The narrative is simple: Police are losing stature, riots are taking over cities. And the clock is ticking towards the November elections. In the event of a Trump victory, the police will be overwhelmed, and will need backup from militia members trained in in counterinsurgency techniques.

Influencers like Glover, who is half South Korean, insist they are not racist and denounce white supremacist posts, but their rhetoric about "Cultural Marxism" and other conspiracy theories are an open door for violent antisemites and fascists to use their platforms.

That crossover is already happening: Fernbaugh won a glowing profile on the Veterans News Report, whose sister site is the anti-Semitic disinformation site Veterans Today, whose board members include Mike Harris, a man with ties to the National Socialist Movement, and Kevin Barrett, who attends Iran’s Holocaust deniers and fascists conferences

I myself have often heard right wing activists state sincerely that they see their role at recent protests as preventing looting and defending free speech – and then turn around and brutally attack left-wing protesters. Only this time, they have clear civilian targets and a President who eggs them on.

There seems no doubt that America’s far right is keying up for conflict in the lead-up and aftermath of the presidential election in three months’ time.

Unlike at any time previously, they are enabled by technology to more effectively organize locally and incite violence as a collective enterprise; they have recruited military and security force veterans; in some cases, they seem to have implicit backing from police officers themselves; they have an apocalyptic and mobilizing hostility towards "Antifa" and BLM that is no longer a fringe position on the right; and they have a president floating the idea of rejecting an unfavorable election result.

If Trump refuses to acknowledge the results, his militias are certainly prepped to come out into the streets to prevent a peaceful transfer of power – or, as the far right prefer to call it, a "Democratic coup."

Alexander Reid Ross is a Lecturer in Geography at Portland State University. He is the author of "Against the Fascist Creep" (AK Press, 2017). Twitter: @areidross

LMFAO

Yep, no massive generalities, outright false statements, or misleading "assumptions" in that piece of drivel......

Sometimes you ought to do a little research before posting these agenda driven hack jobs. But then I do need a laugh now and then. BTW, why don't also cover the REAL rioters who are causing REAL destruction in several places instead of focusing on a very few uneducated hard heads? Oh yea, it's that "agenda" thing again.

Too funny.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum