Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just how strong is American racism?

+7
othershoe1030
EmeraldGhost
PkrBum
Telstar
gatorfan
zsomething
Wordslinger
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Telstar

Telstar

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 3 10521410

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

cheers cheers cheers To both Mr. Seaoat and Wordslinger! Excellent points all around. Yes, this business of hiding behind party labels does not work. The problem is the white supremacist cockroaches that Seaoat described who scurry from party to party as the need demands. It would be comforting to think that once we get past this current KKK revival that the Republicans AND Democrats would both disavow racism and we could get on with being Americans because of our beliefs in the principals of the country. In this country it is not a matter of blood and soil (a term I'd never heard until Charlottesville) but one of beliefs in the country.

It's not the party it's the mindset that is the problem.

Strom Thurmond, Harry Byrd, Richard Shelby and Ben Campbell (Colorado) all changed from D to R in the late 20th century. I counted 18 members of the House that also switched from D to R.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Senators_who_switched_parties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Representatives_who_switched_parties

PkrBum

PkrBum

Wordslinger wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I can agree with much of that. Except that for all of the talk about dixiecrats infiltrating the pubs there has only been ONE example given after all these years of asking for them. Speaking of "rag-tag-dog-eared arguments".

Perhaps my point was not stated clearly enough. I did not mean to suggest that the Dixiecrats infiltrated the GOP, far from it. The entire South continually voted Republican ever since or shortly after the Civil Rights and Voting Rights laws were passed. The southern vote was no longer a pseudo-democratic vote but a straight up GOP vote. See Nixon's "Southern strategy" for example. Look at any map showing red vs blue states. Note the amazement when Alabama voted in a senator from the Democratic Party.

The South is, or has been until now a GOP stronghold except for Florida, which turned blue in 2008 and 2012 and is once again up for grabs.

I never heard of the idea of Dixiecrats infiltrating the Republican Party. What are you talking about?

I guess i misunderstood this: "After the Civil War white Southerners decided they couldn't belong to the party of Lincoln for obvious reasons so they mainly became "Democrats" or more aptly, Dixiecrats seeing as how they were an apparent anomaly known as "conservative democrats"." Pardon me.

Seagoat has made that dixiecrat to pub argument over and over as well as some others.

Southerners were SO uncomfortable (to put it mildly) after loosing the war they could not bear to be associated with the political party associated with Lincoln. Then they were faced with the situation of being Democrats, albeit Dixiecrats, when Johnson signed the Civil Rights Laws. Once again they were in a very awkward position, so again they switched due to their underlying desire to 'conserve' racial boundaries.

It is hard to reconcile your idea about an "infiltration" when the mass of voters changed their registration from D to R. How is that an infiltration? Looks more like a total re-branding to me.

Wouldn't that require a large group of democratic politicians to switch parties too? Who were they?

Yes, at times the democratic party was racist, ditto for the republicans.  
Today, the Republicans, led by King Racist Herr Twittler wear the crown -- they don't like African Americans, Mexican or Latinos, all immigrants not from Norway or Sweden, NFL players who protest police brutality directed at Black Americans,

Listen up:  American racism isn't a bipartisan issue -- it's an
American issue.  Stop trying to dodge your own guilt for being associated with white racist conservative politics by blaming democrats, etc.

The problem is divisive, cruel, unjust actions against non-white folks, championed by Herr Trump speaking to an ever-shrinking white Christian group who will soon be an American minority.  If the foo shits ...  LOL  

Except that in Europe they had only given up slavery in the decade or so before we did. Slaves were actually made illegal to import before either France or England did the same. What you fail to be aware of apparently is that racism exists in those places still... it just isn't a political tool as it is here. You leftists exploit racism... and about every other division you can manufacture.

Oh... and for seagoat. Thurmond switched parties as a realization of his error... byrd served the dems for decades.

Fucking racists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1977/08/26/thurmonds-switch/8934d2b7-c738-483c-a735-b2541e019f59/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c82dc20c4a31

Last edited by PkrBum on 9/12/2018, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething

We keep looking back at past history... now let's take a look at more modern times.

Whatever fantasies someone has about conservatives and liberal performance when it comes to race in the past, it's pretty clear where the bigots are now.

Ever see Republicans trying to make it easier for people of color to vote? Good luck finding 'em.

And who elects the most people of color to positions of power, so they'll have more of a say in the fate of the nation? Spoiler alert: it ain't even close. Republicans fare badly on a national scale, and even worse on a local one.

Here's a list of African-Americans in the House of Representatives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African-American_United_States_Representatives

Almost all the red you'll find next to those names will be from the Reconstruction era. Once we hit the 20th century, it's blue, blue, blue, blue, blue. with very few exceptions. Republicans don't fare quite as badly when it comes to Hispanics, but it's still mostly blue, blue, blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans_in_the_United_States_Congress

Senate? Same deal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African-American_United_States_Senators

President? That's a total shut-out.

Conservatives like to claim that people of color vote Democrat because they get "hand outs," which is pretty much bullshit, considering that most welfare money goes to whites.
https://www.thoughtco.com/who-really-receives-welfare-4126592

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/28/food-stamp-demographics_n_6771938.html

So it's not likely that as much as it is representation. A lot of the reason Republicans have trouble attracting other races is because their base won't elect 'em, won't give them a chance to have a say-so in government. All conservatives aren't bigots, o' course, but enough of 'em are to make it hard for people of color to get elected in the increasingly-conservative Republican party. And under Trump, it's more welcoming to actual freakin' Nazis than it is minorities. Trump is an embodiment of bigoted fears of white people being "replaced." So they want him to kick out all the brown people and keep them down.

Pass that off as "identity politics" if you want, but the truth is one party's embracing diversity and the other's bunkering down in fear of it. Tucker Carlson spends most of his show screaming about it and echoing shit you hear on Stormfront and The Daily Stormer.

That's going on now. That's pretty undeniable, even to people who have wrong-headed fantasies about the past of the parties.

ConservaLady

ConservaLady

My, what a stupid loony left exercise in navel-gazing this thread is !!!

2seaoat

racism is alive and well, but heck.....some folks are oblivious or complicit.

PkrBum

PkrBum

2seaoat wrote:racism is alive and well, but heck.....some folks are oblivious or complicit.

Channeling your racism doesn't mean others are racists... but you know that racist.

Deus X

Deus X

ConservaLady wrote:My, what a stupid loony left exercise in navel-gazing this thread is !!!

Poll: Gillum leads DeSantis by 4 points in Florida governor race

Democrat Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum is leading Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) by 4 points in Florida’s gubernatorial race, according to a new Florida Chamber of Commerce poll released Wednesday.

Gillum leads DeSantis 47 percent to 43 percent in the statewide poll. The Democrat also leads his Republican opponent in all major media markets across the state except Jacksonville, according to the poll.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/406275-poll-gillum-leads-desantis-by-4-points-in-florida-governor-race

ConservaLady

ConservaLady

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmvxVkUrnXF9zOvG01j1HBvi6qskYtdbQ7p--mn2YC1CzlJZljwg

What godless divisive lying loony brainwashed liberal marxists who seek to destroy America don't understand is that regardless of one's skin tone or ethnic background, we all bleed red !

Last edited by ConservaLady on 9/12/2018, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Telstar

Telstar

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 3 Teddy_11

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This thread has turned a bit strange. Over time it is not possible to pin overt racism on one party or the other. The racists among us will drift into the party of their choice as the need arises. Post Civil Rights Laws it is obvious that the shift of racists was toward the Republican Party.

Looking at racism in the present, I think it would be fair to say that for the most part minorities would not join a party they thought was racist. Basically looking at which party various racial groups choose to join is interesting. It is sort of a reverse engineering way of voting via membership as to which party a person thinks best represents their interests or is the least negative toward them.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 89% of Republican self-identifiers nationwide in 2012, while accounting for 70% of independents and 60% of Democrats. Over one-fifth of Democrats (22%) were black, while 16% of independents were Hispanic.

Racial and Ethnic Composition of U.S., by Party ID, 2012

These results are based on more than 338,000 interviews conducted as part of Gallup Daily tracking in 2012, and clearly underscore the distinct racial profiles of partisan groups in today's political landscape.

Republicans are overwhelmingly non-Hispanic white, at a level that is significantly higher than the self-identified white percentage of the national adult population. Just 2% of Republicans are black, and 6% are Hispanic.
Seventy percent of Americans who identify as independents are white, but independents have the highest representation of Hispanics (16%) of the three groups. Eight percent of independents are blacks.
Democrats remain a majority white party, but four in 10 Democrats are something other than non-Hispanic white. More than one in five Democrats are black, roughly twice the black representation in the adult population.
Racial and Ethnic Groups Gravitate Toward Different Parties

Looked at differently, these party composition patterns reflect major differences in the way Americans in various racial and ethnic groups identify their political affiliation.

Almost two-thirds of blacks identify as Democrats, with most of the rest identifying as independents. Only 5% of blacks nationwide identify as Republicans.
Half of Hispanics identify as independents, although the majority of the rest identify as Democrats. This is despite their high level of approval and strong majority voting support for Democratic President Barack Obama. Relatively few Hispanics (13%) identify as Republicans.
Whites are the most politically diverse of the three major racial and ethnic segments, with between 26% and 38% identifying with one of the three partisan groups. Whites tilt slightly toward being independents or Republicans rather than Democrats. The large white concentration of Republican identifiers, in short, is caused by a dearth of nonwhites self-identifying with the GOP, rather than a monolithic Republican orientation among whites.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/160373/democrats-racially-diverse-republicans-mostly-white.aspx

2seaoat

What godless divisive lying loony brainwashed liberal marxists

Yep, and you are God's messenger........the great decider as to who is godly. Poser.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

[quote="ConservaLady"]My, what a stupid loony left exercise in navel-gazing this thread is !!!

The unexamined life is not worth living

The unexamined life is not worth living is a famous dictum apparently uttered by Socrates at his trial for impiety and corrupting youth, for which he was subsequently sentenced to death, as described in Plato's Apology.

Sometimes it is good to step back and examine the current situation. It is something thoughtful adults do.

ConservaLady

ConservaLady

othershoe1030 wrote:
ConservaLady wrote:My, what a stupid loony left exercise in navel-gazing this thread is !!!

The unexamined life is not worth living is a famous dictum apparently uttered by Socrates at his trial for impiety and corrupting youth, for which he was subsequently sentenced to death, as described in Plato's Apology.

Sometimes it is good to step back and examine the current situation. It is something thoughtful adults do.

na·vel-gaz·ing
ˈnāvəl ɡāziNG/Submit
noun
noun: navel-gazing
self-indulgent or excessive contemplation of oneself or a single issue, at the expense of a wider view.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

ConservaLady wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

na·vel-gaz·ing
ˈnāvəl ɡāziNG/Submit
noun
noun: navel-gazing
self-indulgent or excessive contemplation of oneself or a single issue, at the expense of a wider view.

It's a choice. Feel free to navel-gaze if you must.

bigdog

Deus, I'll bet the Chamber of Commerce hated to post that poll for the public to see. I feel much better about Bill Nelson now that Gillum is the candidate for Governor.
Things are looking up all over.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother lived with us. Her father was actually a civil war soldier who fought at Missionary Ridge. She was very proud of him and his service. Her parents had been dirt poor, no slaves, no relationship to slavery. But they were from Alabama, and felt they needed to be loyal to their state. I don't have any shame in my Great-Grandfather's service. My grandmother always kept a Confederate flag in her room, and she cherished it. I grew up with a reverence for it and was still a "Rebel" when Escambia High had that nickname.
But times change. That flag became a symbol of hate in the 1960's during the civil rights movement. Southerners full of hate made it dirty. They disgraced it.
I can't respect it anymore, and it's their fault. I don't care if every memorial to the Confederacy comes down an I never see that flag again. I don't blame the soldiers who fought in 1865 for the disgrace of the flag- it was the George Wallaces of 100 years later that did that. It can't recover and it needs to go. Let the damned racists and Nazis make up their own banner and bury that one in history where it belongs.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Would that be the same fucking God who lets three year old children die in screaming pain from bone cancer? And tell us, please, how do you deal with pretending to be a Jesus freak -- having true compassion for the poor, the ill and the meek -- with Trump's immigrant child detention centers?

Fuck you and yours conservative bitch.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Learned last night that Trump okayed shifting funds away from FEMA and the Coast Guard in order to help pay for ICE's increased family and child detention (read Concentration Camps).

Obviously, for Herr Twitler, racism trumps protecting even white Christian Americans from natural disasters!!

Reality.

Telstar

Telstar

Wordslinger wrote:Learned last night that Trump okayed shifting funds away from FEMA and the Coast Guard in order to help pay for ICE's increased family and child detention (read Concentration Camps).

Obviously, for Herr Twitler, racism trumps protecting even white Christian Americans from natural disasters!!

Reality.

Wow it must suck to be bone spur supporter and know he wants you and your whole family to be swept away in a flood and die for him. I guess they already know that their lives are meaningless in comparison to their lord and master bone spur boy. Must suck for the kids to know their own parents care more about bone spur than their own kids. Sad

Telstar

Telstar

Telstar

Telstar

Telstar

Telstar

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum