Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just how strong is American racism?

+7
othershoe1030
EmeraldGhost
PkrBum
Telstar
gatorfan
zsomething
Wordslinger
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Consider: the right to own and sale a black slave was strong enough during the Civil War that hundreds of thousands of southern whites believed that fighting and dying for slavery was worth it.

Fuck racism and all who practice it.

zsomething

Hell, it was so strong that most people who died for it were dying for other people's keeping of slaves. Most of 'em didn't even have slaves of their own.

That's part of the stupidity of Southern conservatism -- poor people getting so easily tricked into busting their asses and suffering on the behalf of rich people who couldn't give a damn less about 'em. The South is full of people yelling "Yay, Trump!" when Trump and his pal Roger Stone are talking about "dumb Southerners" and "insubordinate hillbillies," and starting tariff wars that put their farms in jeopardy. Yet they keep right on supporting those bastards, because the Republicans cynically play to their religion. Say "Jesus" a few times and a conservative will crouch down and let you piss in their face. It's like the magic word that makes their brains shut off. They'll trust anyone who plays on their religion, which is a lot of the reason the South's in the sorry shape that it is.

And racism's also part of it. A lot of conservative voting isn't motivated by what would be good for them, it's what would be hurtful to someone they don't like. They (wrongfully) think black people get the most welfare, so they vote for people who'll cut that. They vote for people who'll keep Mexicans and Muslims out... and if the upper 1% gets a huge tax cut out of it and they get screwed and grandma dies because they cut her health care, well, alrighty then, just as long as them black and Mexicans and Muslims are miserable! Oh, and the liberals. What, the liberals want people to have clean water? Then HELL naw! Cut regulations, dump toxins in the water, we don't care, as long as it makes the liberals mad we'll guzzle carcinogens and like it! Them dang liberals think we're dumb, so we'll show them by fuckin' up the injectors on our trucks so they'll quadruple the carbon output and cut our power and gas mileage, just so we can "roll coal" and piss off the libs! Haw haw! That'll show them fer thinkin' we're stupid!

It goes on and on. The South's improved in a lot of ways, but that's in spite of conservatives, not due to 'em. Conservatives have consistently been in the way of every good thing, and spitefully cheering on every mean, nasty, dumb, self-destructive idea. I've watched it up close for decades. It's not "the media" making me think this, it's first-hand experience. They constantly wreck themselves just out of ignorance and spite.

I'm not a Democrat because I'm some huge liberal lefty... I'm a Democrat because I'm not stupid, and I've lived around conservatives my entire life and see how frickin' mean-spirited and moronic they are. Don't wanna be any part of 'em. Democrats aren't completely great, but they're the only viable alternative for anyone who doesn't want to be a theocrat or on the wrong end of a plutocracy.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

zsomething wrote:Hell, it was so strong that most people who died for it were dying for other people's keeping of slaves.   Most of 'em didn't even have slaves of their own.

That's part of the stupidity of Southern conservatism -- poor people getting so easily tricked into busting their asses and suffering on the behalf of rich people who couldn't give a damn less about 'em.   The South is full of people yelling "Yay, Trump!"  when Trump and his pal Roger Stone are talking about "dumb Southerners" and "insubordinate hillbillies," and starting tariff wars that put their farms in jeopardy.   Yet they keep right on supporting those bastards, because the Republicans cynically play to their religion.   Say "Jesus" a few times and a conservative will crouch down and let you piss in their face.  It's like the magic word that makes their brains shut off.  They'll trust anyone who plays on their religion, which is a lot of the reason the South's in the sorry shape that it is.

And racism's also part of it.  A lot of conservative voting isn't motivated by what would be good for them, it's what would be hurtful to someone they don't like.  They (wrongfully) think black people get the most welfare, so they vote for people who'll cut that.  They vote for people who'll keep Mexicans and Muslims out... and if the upper 1% gets a huge tax cut out of it and they get screwed and grandma dies because they cut her health care, well, alrighty then, just as long as them black and Mexicans and Muslims are miserable!   Oh, and the liberals.  What, the liberals want people to have clean water?  Then HELL naw!   Cut regulations, dump toxins in the water, we don't care, as long as it makes the liberals mad we'll guzzle carcinogens and like it!   Them dang liberals think we're dumb, so we'll show them by fuckin' up the injectors on our trucks so they'll quadruple the carbon output and cut our power and gas mileage, just so we can "roll coal" and piss off the libs!  Haw haw!  That'll show them fer thinkin' we're stupid!

It goes on and on.  The South's improved in a lot of ways, but that's in spite of conservatives, not due to 'em.   Conservatives have consistently been in the way of every good thing, and spitefully cheering on every mean, nasty, dumb, self-destructive idea.  I've watched it up close for decades.  It's not "the media" making me think this, it's first-hand experience.  They constantly wreck themselves just out of ignorance and spite.

I'm not a Democrat because I'm some huge liberal lefty...  I'm a Democrat because I'm not stupid, and I've lived around conservatives my entire life and see how frickin' mean-spirited and moronic they are.   Don't wanna be any part of 'em.  Democrats aren't completely great, but they're the only viable alternative for anyone who doesn't want to be a theocrat or on the wrong end of a plutocracy.  

Good post, good writing!

gatorfan

Wordslinger wrote:Consider:  the right to own and sale a black slave was strong enough during the Civil War that hundreds of thousands of southern whites believed that fighting and dying for slavery was worth it.

May I suggest visiting their graves and tinkling a little on them? I do believe there are more pressing issues right now than the Civil War, which by the way was not solely about slavery......

Telstar

Telstar

gatorfan

Telstar wrote:

I realize you get most of your information from videos but try reading this and find out about the sad reality of present day slavery.

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/2018/findings/global-findings/

Telstar

Telstar

gatorfan wrote:

I realize you get most of your information from videos but try reading this and find out about the sad reality of present day slavery.

Very sad. Doesn't erase the sins of the old South.

gatorfan

Telstar wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

Very sad. Doesn't erase the sins of the old South.

According to Snopes it's just folklore. Translation: you let yourself get trolled.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/06/09/black-children-alligator-bait/

Telstar

Telstar

More folklore. Wonder if bone spur will mention lynchings during his rally in Mississippi on Friday.

zsomething

The Civil War may not have been entirely about slavery... but it was mostly about slavery. The people who didn't have slaves and got hooked into it did it for the same reason people in the South do pretty much everything that hurts themselves -- they were carrying the water of rich conservatives, like they're still tricked into doing. The rich tell them, "These people -- minorities, blacks, uppity women, liberals -- are your enemy," throw in a few quotes from Isiah or Matthew to establish "hey, we all love Jesus too so you better side with us!" street-cred just to keep 'em dizzy, and then turn 'em loose to sacrifice themselves fighting people who have far more in common with them than the rich folks dispatching 'em ever will.

And all the time, the rich sit by and profit off all of it, laughing up their sleeves at the morons who'll keep doing their dirty work... even if they shoot somebody on 5th Avenue. FOX News, talk radio, the NRA, etc. would go broke in a month if half the country didn't believe the other half was the boogeyman comin' to get 'em.

I used to buy that "states rights" argument -- partially because I read a completely-batshit-bullshit book called The South Was Right written by a couple of complete nutjobs -- but when I started researching further on my own, that book fell apart quicker than corn flakes get soggy.

I mean, my own state's declaration of secession pretty much cinches it:

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/mississippi_declaration.asp

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union

In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product, which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory.

The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France.

The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact, which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.

It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better.

It has invaded a State, and invested with the honors of martyrdom the wretch whose purpose was to apply flames to our dwellings, and the weapons of destruction to our lives.

It has broken every compact into which it has entered for our security.

It has given indubitable evidence of its design to ruin our agriculture, to prostrate our industrial pursuits and to destroy our social system.

It knows no relenting or hesitation in its purposes; it stops not in its march of aggression, and leaves us no room to hope for cessation or for pause.

It has recently obtained control of the Government, by the prosecution of its unhallowed schemes, and destroyed the last expectation of living together in friendship and brotherhood.

Utter subjugation awaits us in the Union, if we should consent longer to remain in it. It is not a matter of choice, but of necessity. We must either submit to degradation, and to the loss of property worth four billions of money, or we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property. For far less cause than this, our fathers separated from the Crown of England.

Our decision is made. We follow their footsteps. We embrace the alternative of separation; and for the reasons here stated, we resolve to maintain our rights with the full consciousness of the justice of our course, and the undoubting belief of our ability to maintain it.

Doesn't get a whole lot clearer that they were quitting because "if you say we can't have slaves, we're out!"

Just as a side note, one thing worth noting is this:

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

That ol' conservative trick of claiming that "white people are the real victims of racism" when black people are treated equally was being used even way back then. Like all the folks now who cry that diversity is "white genocide," as if every white person owes it to them to not marry someone of another race if they want to.

Southern conservatives have been poor-mouthing the same ol' tired bullshit arguments and blaming black people for 'em. Like saying "Black Lives Matter" is some kind of divisive statement, when it's really not. There's a "too" implied there, not an "only." And I keep running into Republicans who claim (and actually seem to believe) that Obama "divided the races," but I'm white and, sorry, I just don't see it. You ask 'em for examples and all they ever come up with is "he said Trayvon Martin could have been his son." I don't see how sympathy for an unarmed black kid who got gunned down by an asshole who was looking for trouble (and has been ever since, with all his girlfriend-beating and such) is "dividing the races." Seems like most of the people who make that argument really just feel divided because they didn't think we should have ever had a black president in the first place. It threatens 'em, and they project it because they're desperate not to own their own ugliness.

I know that not everybody who dislikes Obama is racist, but woooo, some of 'em definitely are. It's still sadly far too big a motivating factor in that party. Trump's proof of it. What really excites his base? Keeping brown people out. Mexicans, Muslims, etc. They like to talk about economics, but the real fact is that the same economic trends that are happening under Trump were happening under Obama -- sometimes at an even faster rate -- and they did nothing but complain about 'em at the time. That's why it's hard to buy that as motivation. If that's what they were after, then... they already had it. Just about all Trump's promising 'em that they didn't have before was an end to diversity and promotion of Christian supremacy, forced on everyone else. O' course, that's what a lot of his supporters want...

Telstar

Telstar

Paid Russian Troll Markel's favorite TV personality.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

gatorfan wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:Consider:  the right to own and sale a black slave was strong enough during the Civil War that hundreds of thousands of southern whites believed that fighting and dying for slavery was worth it.

May I suggest visiting their graves and tinkling a little on them? I do believe there are more pressing issues right now than the Civil War, which by the way was not solely about slavery......

Too bad you have comprehension challenges. The thread isn't about the Civil War but about the strength of today's white racism. And you're wrong about the civil war's cause. It was about slavery! The main product of the southern states was cotton -- all of which depended on the labor of black slaves. The north didn't give a fuck about what your knuckle dragging slave owning or white trash ancestors did for a living. And the north was a major buyer of southern Cotton. Furthermore, the north didn't raise cotton so it wasn't a case of trade competition. This is an intellectual argument that's been fought and won numerous times by historians who proved the civil war was ALL ABOUT THE RIGHT FOR SOUTHERN PLANTATION OWNERS TO BUY AND SELL SLAVES. Like most southern fans, you guys can't handle the truth about your ancestors and their dreadful, inhuman and cruel practices.

Reality!

PkrBum

PkrBum

zsomething wrote:The Civil War may not have been entirely about slavery... -- they were carrying the water of rich conservatives,

Gawd you're stupid. The simplest idiot can bang out nonsense... you're proof.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? Imageedit_1217_2514111611

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? Dont-give-liberals-racist-liberals-politics-1346387237

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEZf9Vxa143A19JGl7IIttZnWYNGyggfvHpy0nzs6-PmscJpDzRA

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz2w182lMEhnrdy-tMkniMEfP81MDcokEuRGbo1JKXc9EfMg9jRg

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Just how strong is American racism? HC1EA7869

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Just how strong is American racism? 101aaeac63dc1f4aa469d7a14b80f460-min

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 9/11/2018, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Telstar

Telstar

Last edited by Telstar on 9/11/2018, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? Whats-black-and-never-works---Racist-meme

Telstar

Telstar

Just how strong is American racism? Emmett11

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? Z

Just how strong is American racism? Omg-a-confederate

Telstar

Telstar

Just how strong is American racism? 55fe8010

PkrBum

PkrBum

Hell... we don't even have to go back to the civil war to see leftist racism. Jim crow laws and eugenics happened in the last 100 years. To blame any of that shit on Republicans is pure revision for useful idiots. Yea Team..!!

Telstar

Telstar

Just how strong is American racism? Omg_st10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum