Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rick Gates says he committed crimes with former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort

+4
EmeraldGhost
PkrBum
2seaoat
Floridatexan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

--Rick Gates, the star witness in special counsel Robert Mueller's fraud and conspiracy trial against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, testifies against his former business partner.

--Gates pleaded guilty in February to lying to investigators and conspiracy against the United States, and agreed to work with Mueller as part of a plea deal.

--His potential sentence was drastically reduced, and the special counsel holds the power to petition the court to further reduce his sentencing time based on his cooperation.

Rick Gates, the star witness in special counsel Robert Mueller's fraud and conspiracy trial against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, took the stand Monday to testify against his former business partner.

After a touch-and-go start — where it appeared for a moment that witness Paula Liss would be called instead — Gates immediately testified to federal prosecutors that he committed crimes with Manafort.

In a blow to the case being laid out by Manafort's defense team, Gates then told prosecutors that he had been directed by Manafort to report overseas income as loans in order to lower his taxable income.

Since their opening statement last week, Manafort's lawyers have sought to blame Gates for breaking finance laws, framing him as a liar who abused Manafort's trust and embezzled millions of dollars from him.

Gates, clad in a blue suit and sporting an uncharacteristically clean-shaven face, did admit in court that he stole several hundreds of thousands of dollars from Manafort by filing false expense reports.

But while sitting just a few feet from Manafort, Gates testified that Manafort had worked with him to commit financial crimes, including filing false tax returns. Manafort had directed him to commit other crimes, Gates said, such as not disclosing foreign bank accounts and omitting information from a court deposition.

Gates pleaded guilty in February to lying to investigators and conspiracy against the United States, and struck a plea deal to fully cooperate with the special counsel. His potential sentence was drastically reduced to nearly six years, and the special counsel holds the power to petition the court to further reduce his sentencing time based on his cooperation.

In court on Monday, Gates said that under sentencing guidelines he could face as few as 57 months for his crimes.

Manafort has pleaded not guilty to the 18 criminal counts against him in the Virginia federal criminal case, as well as similar charges in a case set to go to trial in September in Washington district court. Mueller's team lodged charges against Manafort in both cases, though neither are directly related to the special counsel's ongoing probe of potential coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Gates follows more than a dozen witnesses brought in by the U.S. attorney to testify against Manafort. Prosecutors have highlighted dozens of invoices, email threads and financial statements to bolster their accusations that Manafort filed false tax returns and committed bank fraud to maintain his lavish spending habits.

While Gates' testimony had almost always been expected, it was unclear precisely when he would be called into the courtroom. The Washington Post reported that defense lawyer Kevin Downing revealed Monday that Gates was on deck while cross-examining Manafort's accountant, Cindy Laporta, who returned to testify for a second day under the protection of immunity.

The government instead initially called Liss to testify on Monday afternoon, according to reports, but Gates ended up taking the stand shortly after.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Reuters contributed to this report.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/06/rick-gates-set-to-testify-against-paul-manafort-monday.html

2seaoat

Gosh, Gates testimony just sounds like the way the Trumps handle charitable Foundations..........

PkrBum

PkrBum

Those damn Russians..!!

2seaoat

Yep, three Russian journalists just got murdered in an ambush in Africa and Putin's secret private mercenaries are thought responsible despite Russian denials. The same secret army which invaded Ukraine and the US bombed in Syria. So, who do you suppose supported the Putin puppet and got paid very well? If anybody thinks that this prosecution is political, they are not looking at the criminal enterprise which Russia has become with the Russian mob and the oligarchs.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Gosh, Gates testimony just sounds like the way the Trumps handle charitable Foundations..........

You might find this enlightening, Seaoat:

“Set aside Putin and follow the money”: a Russia expert’s theory of the Trump scandal

Why the collusion story begins with money, not politics.

By Sean Illing@seanillingsean.illing@vox.com Updated Jan 3, 2018, 9:49am EST

https://www.vox.com/2017/7/18/15983910/donald-trump-russia-putin-fbi-collusion-fusion-gps

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

And the particular scheme of criminal conduct being revealed in this particular trial has ... what? to do with Donald Trump?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_McDougal#Whitewater_affair

R's and D's .... flip sides of the same coin.  Just another day in America!  Be sure and let me know when they actually "get something" on Trump himself ... if they do.

In the meantime I hear my healthcare premium is projected to go up 6.1% in January ... yet again Good thing I got a little tax cut, I guess. It will almost offset that increase. Maybe with my COLA I'll even break even on it?. silent .

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 8/6/2018, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

polecat

polecat

[quote="EmeraldGhost"]And the particular scheme of criminal conduct being revealed in this particular trial has...
what? to do with donny Johnnald trump?

It shows "only the best people" work for djt

polecat

polecat

From the courtroom...

ASONYE: Were you involved in any criminal activity with Mr. Manafort?

GATES: Yes

ASONYE: Did you commit any crimes with Manafort?

GATES: Yes

ASONYE: Were they "doozies"?

GATES: Oh my, yes. Some real doozies.

ASONYE: Would you call them, "Rooskie Dooskie Doozies"?

GATES: I would definitely call them Rooskie Dooskie Doozies, yes.

ASONYE: No further questions

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

polecat wrote:It shows "only the best people"  work for djt

But of course!  

He's just like the Clintons in that respect.

Rick Gates says he committed crimes with former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort Trumpclinton

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

EmeraldGhost wrote:And the particular scheme of criminal conduct being revealed in this particular trial has ... what? to do with Donald Trump?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_McDougal#Whitewater_affair

R's and D's .... flip sides of the same coin.  Just another day in America!  Be sure and let me know when they actually "get something" on Trump himself ... if they do.

In the meantime I hear my healthcare premium is projected to go up 6.1% in January ... yet again   Good thing I got a little tax cut, I guess.  It will almost offset that increase.  Maybe with my COLA I'll even break even on it?. silent .

Rick Gates says he committed crimes with former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort 1eeklx

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Floridatexan wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:And the particular scheme of criminal conduct being revealed in this particular trial has ... what? to do with Donald Trump?

Rick Gates says he committed crimes with former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort 1eeklx

Okay, 'Flo'.   I disagree, but ..... whatever.   We can discuss whether the Susan McDougal reference was a "false equivalency" or not separately.  

But how about you address my question then?   (Which you conveniently avoided with your irrelevant meme response.)

Here, I'll repeat if for you:
the particular scheme of criminal conduct being revealed in this particular trial has ... what? to do with Donald Trump?

Anybody?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

You and I will never agree. You are wishy-washy. Manafort was Drumpf's campaign manager. Gates was his sidekick. Drumpf is going completely insane (it wasn't a far trip), because he knows the jig is up.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Floridatexan wrote:
You and I will never agree.  You are wishy-washy.  Manafort was Drumpf's campaign manager.  Gates was his sidekick.  Drumpf is going completely insane (it wasn't a far trip), because he knows the jig is up.  

Uh, yeah .... ok, 'Flo' .   But didn't this stuff Manafort's on trial for happen quite some time before Trump even announced his candidacy?  

How then, does it directly implicate Trump in anything?   Guilt by association?  Well, like I indicated before .... you could pin that label on the Clintons as well if that's how we're gonna do things. (and that's one of the biggest reasons I refused to vote for either Hillary or Trump)

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 8/7/2018, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

EmeraldGhost wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
You and I will never agree.  You are wishy-washy.  Manafort was Drumpf's campaign manager.  Gates was his sidekick.  Drumpf is going completely insane (it wasn't a far trip), because he knows the jig is up.  

Uh, yeah .... ok, 'Flo' .   But didn't this stuff Manafort's on trial for happen quite some time before Trump even announced his candidacy?  

How then, does it directly implicate Trump in anything?   Guilt by association?  Well, like I indicated before .... you could pin that label on the Clintons as well if that's how we're gonna do things.  Both of 'em.

BULL CACA.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Floridatexan wrote: 

BULL CACA.  

Perhaps you'd care to answer the question?   It's a simple yes or no.

..  didn't this stuff Manafort's on trial for happen quite some time before Trump even announced his candidacy? ...

polecat

polecat

EmeraldGhost wrote:
Floridatexan wrote: 

BULL CACA.  

..  didn't this stuff Manafort's on trial for happen quite some time before Trump even announced his candidacy? ...

Yes EG - How about some roll play? In this scenario I will be Paul M & you will be Stable Genius dJt

BUT...

You know how it works. They bust me with a dime bag and try to get me to roll on my dealer who we will call GhostEmerald. Now I would never give GhostEmerald up over a dime bag, I will take my lumps but, GhostEmerald heard about my bust and he has to wonder... is that little bitch polecat going to flip and give me up? NO!! I say but, you still think about it when you lay your head down at night.

PkrBum

PkrBum

polecat wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:
Floridatexan wrote: 

BULL CACA.  

Yes EG  -  How about some roll play? In this scenario I will be Paul M & you will be Stable Genius dJt

BUT...

You know how it works. They bust me with a dime bag and try to get me to roll on my dealer who we will call GhostEmerald. Now I would never give GhostEmerald up over a dime bag, I will take my lumps but, GhostEmerald heard about my bust and he has to wonder... is that little bitch polecat going to flip and give me up? NO!! I say but, you still think about it when you lay your head down at night.

Or... you just hand out immunities to the key players and pretend that extreme carelessness isn't gross negligence.

Gawd y'all are easy. Double jointed ethics.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

polecat wrote:

Yes EG  -  How about some roll play? In this scenario I will be Paul M & you will be Stable Genius dJt

BUT...

What are you on about?  I get my Talon brand filtered cigars at the local shell station for cheap.  

So ...  would you care to answer the question instead of deflecting and attempting to obfuscate with that nonsense?   It's a very simple question, you know.  My guess is you won't, but I'll repeat it for you anyway:

"....  the particular scheme of criminal conduct being revealed in this particular trial has ... what? to do with Donald Trump?"

polecat

polecat

EmeraldGhost wrote:
polecat wrote:

BUT...

What are you on about?  I get my Talon brand filtered cigars at the local shell station for cheap.  

So ...  would you care to answer the question instead of deflecting and attempting to obfuscate with that nonsense?   It's a very simple question, you know.  My guess is you won't, but I'll repeat it for you anyway:

"....  the particular scheme of criminal conduct being revealed in this particular trial has ... what? to do with Donald Trump?"

I did answer the question. See the very beginning where it says YES EG?

polecat

polecat

Or... you just hand out immunities to the key players and pretend that extreme carelessness isn't gross negligence.

Gawd y'all are easy. Double jointed ethics.[/quote]

Immunities like Rudy G gave Sammy the Bull? How many people did he kill?

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

polecat wrote:

So it has nothing to with Donald Trump's presidential campaign. Thought so. Rolling Eyes

It's just yet another white collar crime story about some slimy people who did some slimy things and later became associated with some slimy politicians. I think we've seen this show before. Just a different cast this time around.

polecat

polecat

EmeraldGhost wrote:
polecat wrote:

So it has nothing to with Donald Trump's presidential campaign. Thought so.  Rolling Eyes

I never said it did. Laughing

polecat

polecat

Wilbur Ross: lied about Russia
Sessions, Don Jr. lied about Russia
Manafort, Flynn: lied about Russia
Trump can't stop lying about Russia
America is being Vodka-boarded
- John Fugelsang

So Rick Gates stole from Paul Manafort *while* Gates was helping Manafort steal from the US government? Truly, there is no honor among thieves! - Mrs. Betty Bowers

What are the chances the candidate is less criminal than his campaign manager, his deputy campaign manager, his National Security Advisor, his lawyer and his son? - LOLGOP

Manafort had a 10k karaoke machine, spent a million dollars on suits, & had a huge, M-shaped flowerbed in his yard -- all while owing tens of millions to Russians and Ukrainians and lying to the IRS. With business skills and taste like that, HE coulda been president. - Bette MidlerRick Gates says he committed crimes with former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort Dj79vh10

Deus X

Deus X

EmeraldGhost wrote:How then, does it directly implicate Trump in anything?  

Trump surges to fore of Manafort trial

President Donald Trump says that the criminal trial of his former campaign aide, Paul Manafort, has nothing to do with him.

But jurors in a Virginia courtroom heard his name repeatedly on Tuesday.

Trump’s name, his 2016 campaign and his inauguration came up several times during the trial’s sixth day, the most by far in the bank- and tax-fraud case brought by special counsel Robert Mueller. While the case does not directly involve the president, on Tuesday Trump became an unmistakable presence in the background.

Documents and testimony spelled out Manafort’s myriad ties to Trump and his 2016 White House run. They showed that Manafort sought to ease his financial pressures by trading on his influence in Trump’s orbit. His longtime deputy, Rick Gates, said it was “possible” he had stolen money from Trump’s inauguration committee. And Gates described the roles that he and Manafort had played in Trump’s winning campaign.

Even if the core subject of Mueller’s probe — potential collusion with the Kremlin — never came up, the references were a reminder that the case has implications that go far beyond two Republican lobbyist-consultants who concealed the fortune they made assisting a Ukrainian politician years before joining Trump’s campaign.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/08/trump-manafort-trial-766439

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Deus X wrote:

Trump surges to fore of Manafort trial

President Donald Trump says that the criminal trial of his former campaign aide, Paul Manafort, has nothing to do with him.

But jurors in a Virginia courtroom heard his name repeatedly on Tuesday.

Trump’s name, his 2016 campaign and his inauguration came up several times during the trial’s sixth day, the most by far in the bank- and tax-fraud case brought by special counsel Robert Mueller. While the case does not directly involve the president, on Tuesday Trump became an unmistakable presence in the background.

Documents and testimony spelled out Manafort’s myriad ties to Trump and his 2016 White House run. They showed that Manafort sought to ease his financial pressures by trading on his influence in Trump’s orbit. His longtime deputy, Rick Gates, said it was “possible” he had stolen money from Trump’s inauguration committee. And Gates described the roles that he and Manafort had played in Trump’s winning campaign.

Even if the core subject of Mueller’s probe — potential collusion with the Kremlin — never came up, the references were a reminder that the case has implications that go far beyond two Republican lobbyist-consultants who concealed the fortune they made assisting a Ukrainian politician years before joining Trump’s campaign.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/08/trump-manafort-trial-766439

Sorry 'Deuce' ... that news article still doesn't answer the question.  It just talks about things Manafort and Gates did, or tried to do ....  nothing Trump did.

Far be it from me to be the defender of-all-things-DonaldTrump seeing as how I never voted for or supported the guy .....  but ya gotta be truthful if you want to be credible.

So I ask again ....
EmeraldGhost wrote:How then, does it directly implicate Trump in anything?  

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum