Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Knothead...How are you?

+5
Vikingwoman
RealLindaL
knothead
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

26Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 8/23/2018, 4:23 pm

I used to go pluck them out of the saw grass flats north of pcola. It hurt... but it was worth it.

Love blue crab too. I rarely bought any tho. It's at your finger tips down there.

27Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 8/23/2018, 6:13 pm

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:Not for me . . . . . not because I don't love them but have a shellfish allergy but others in the group will take up the slack . . . . I love the grouper myself!

I cannot eat shrimp without a horrible reaction

Sorry for you guys!

I always have a bit of trouble communicating allergies with doctors/hospitals because my allergy is to mollusks, not crustaceans.  I can't eat any bivalves such as oysters, clams (the worst!), scallops, mussels, etc. without severe gastrointestinal distress.  But the nurses always put down "shellfish allergy" which is not correct since I can eat shrimp (and lobster) just fine.  

No problem with any fish whatsoever. (And red snapper is my absolute fave!)

The mollusk allergy started when I was about 12 years old, for some reason.  Prior to that I gobbled down my mother's fried oysters with impunity -- and I still miss them, but I'll never try another mollusk again. I love gumbo, for instance, but always have to ask exactly what's in it.

28Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 8/24/2018, 11:35 am

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:Not for me . . . . . not because I don't love them but have a shellfish allergy but others in the group will take up the slack . . . . I love the grouper myself!

I cannot eat shrimp without a horrible reaction which lasts from a day to a week depending how much I ate.  We used to in the seventies drive over to biloxi, and they had these buckets of fresh shrimp which we would peel and eat.  I got in trouble at a Christmas Party each year held at a quite exclusive Country Club where they  put out monster prawns which I would literally gobble down as many as It was sponsored by a title company where I ate everything Icould get my hands on.......the results were one to two weeks of massive intestine shut down.   I can eat lobster and crab claws with no problem, but it is so hard to avoid a food I just love.  I have no problem with grouper or amberjack.

My first reaction occurred when I was around 50 or so, we had traveled to KY for Thanksgiving at my wife's mothers house. We always brought fresh seafood, mostly shrimp and scallops. We prepared the scallops in a skillet with scallions, garlic and spices. . . . they were delicious as always but a few minutes later my scalp began itching and I began sweating for no obvious reason and a few minutes later my lips felt odd and then they began to swell. . . .it became pretty obvious to my wife that I was having a reaction so off to the ER we go where I was treated. Only 3-4 years ago we were in KY and celebrating New Year's Eve at a yacht club party on Kentucky Lake. The buffet was dimly lit as I recall and with red lighting but my wife and I tried to inspect the items being served before partaking to be sure there was nothing like shellfish . . . . we didn't see anything off limits but anyway we ate drank and was enjoying our friends and good food when my vision became blurred . . . . what the heck . . . . after another ten minutes or so I went to the restroom and looked in the mirror and both eyes were swollen practically shut and my scalp was itching and my lips swelling by the minute. We did not bring my EpiPen so we immediately called it a night and headed to our place where dug out the EpiPen . . . . end of story but I miss my shellfish!

29Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 8/24/2018, 11:43 am

2seaoat

My wife and I go through two screenings. We look at the food and then she eats it to determine if there is any shrimp. My allergic reaction to shrimp is very unpleasant and blocks me up with some really symptoms that often last a week depending how much shrimp I ate. I love shrimp, but I have learned I cannot cheat and just eat one.

When do you have your surgery scheduled?

30Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 8/24/2018, 1:05 pm

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:My first reaction occurred when I was around 50 or so, we had traveled to KY for Thanksgiving at my wife's mothers house.  We always brought fresh seafood, mostly shrimp and scallops. We prepared the scallops in a skillet with scallions, garlic and spices. . . . they were delicious as always but a few minutes later my scalp began itching and I began sweating for no obvious reason and a few minutes later my lips felt odd and then they began to swell. . . .it became pretty obvious to my wife that I was having a reaction so off to the ER we go where I was treated.  Only 3-4 years ago we were in KY and celebrating New Year's Eve at a yacht club party on Kentucky Lake.  The buffet was dimly lit as I recall and with red lighting but my wife and I tried to inspect the items being served before partaking to be sure there was nothing like shellfish . . . . we didn't see anything off limits but anyway we ate drank and was enjoying our friends and good food when my vision became blurred . . . . what the heck . . . . after another ten minutes or so I went to the restroom and looked in the mirror and both eyes were swollen practically shut and my scalp was itching and my lips swelling by the minute.  We did not bring my EpiPen so we immediately called it a night and headed to our place where dug out the EpiPen . . . . end of story but I miss my shellfish!    

Hmm...reading this carefully I couldn't tell if it was shrimp or scallops that got you - and the allergies are different, at least in my case (no problem with shrimp, but a problem with scallops).

31Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 8:28 am

knothead

knothead

When do you have your surgery scheduled?

Chemo begins on September 11th, a 6 hour infusion, followed by another 3 hour infusion on September 18th. This is 1 cycle. This will begin the process and will be repeated for approximately 3 months. After the chemo and recovery the plan is to schedule surgery for a radical cystectomy, prostate removal and removal of attendant lymph nodes that potentially are harboring lingering malignant cells.

32Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 8:35 am

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:My first reaction occurred when I was around 50 or so, we had traveled to KY for Thanksgiving at my wife's mothers house.  We always brought fresh seafood, mostly shrimp and scallops. We prepared the scallops in a skillet with scallions, garlic and spices. . . . they were delicious as always but a few minutes later my scalp began itching and I began sweating for no obvious reason and a few minutes later my lips felt odd and then they began to swell. . . .it became pretty obvious to my wife that I was having a reaction so off to the ER we go where I was treated.  Only 3-4 years ago we were in KY and celebrating New Year's Eve at a yacht club party on Kentucky Lake.  The buffet was dimly lit as I recall and with red lighting but my wife and I tried to inspect the items being served before partaking to be sure there was nothing like shellfish . . . . we didn't see anything off limits but anyway we ate drank and was enjoying our friends and good food when my vision became blurred . . . . what the heck . . . . after another ten minutes or so I went to the restroom and looked in the mirror and both eyes were swollen practically shut and my scalp was itching and my lips swelling by the minute.  We did not bring my EpiPen so we immediately called it a night and headed to our place where dug out the EpiPen . . . . end of story but I miss my shellfish!    

Hmm...reading this carefully I couldn't tell if it was shrimp or scallops that got you - and the allergies are different, at least in my case (no problem with shrimp, but a problem with scallops).

Frankly Linda I must say it was a revelation to me about the difference between crustaceans and mollusks, I had no clue but because you mentioned it I am rethinking my own allergic issues . . . . I cannot eat scallops or shrimp for sure . . . . . I can eat oysters with no problem . . . . other things in that family like lobster or crabs I don't really know because now I'm fearful of even trying them and I am content with it.

33Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 10:38 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wishing you well with the Chemo and surgery. Please keep us updated.

As far as Peg Leg Pete's, my favorite was always fried shrimp and oysters. Now, because of dietary restrictions, I must settle for grilled or blackened shrimp or grouper.

34Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 12:30 pm

2seaoat

knot,

I hope you can get some medical pot for the nausea. Radiation and Chemo has been much less impactful because of the edibles. Not great on pain, but there is no need to suffer from nausea. A return to a full appetite is important. I fully expect you to be fighting the good fight ten years from now and with each medical advance, we get closer to winning the battle against cancer. I guess I could drive to Metropolis and accidently drop a couple packages of gummies in the parking lot before September 11th......but then I risk messing it up for other cancer patients because I broke the rules. I hope you have access.

35Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 2:30 pm

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:Wishing you well with the Chemo and surgery. Please keep us updated.

As far as Peg Leg Pete's, my favorite was always fried shrimp and oysters. Now, because of dietary restrictions, I must settle for grilled or blackened shrimp or grouper.

Same sincere good wishes go out to knothead as he does battle with the enemy. And I hope you'll let me know, knot, if you figure any of that seafood thing out. All very strange, isn't it?

Joani, as I've probably reported here on the forum at least once, the Grillled Gulf Shrimp entree at Pegleg's is unfailingly excellent. I always recommend it to visitors (who've all loved it), and have a hard time myself ordering anything different, because it's simply that good.

36Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 2:39 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Wishing you well with the Chemo and surgery. Please keep us updated.

Same sincere good wishes go out to knothead as he does battle with the enemy.  And I hope you'll let me know, knot, if you figure any of that seafood thing out.   All very strange, isn't it?

Joani, as I've probably reported here on the forum at least once, the Grillled Gulf Shrimp entree at Pegleg's is unfailingly excellent.  I always recommend it to visitors (who've all loved it), and have a hard time myself ordering anything different, because it's simply that good.  

Having grown up in a seafood loving family ...fried was always the choice at home and restaurants. Fish-Fry's were a Friday night event for our Catholic family. Usually dad caught the fish- Bream or Mullet. Shrimp, oysters and hush puppies usually accompanied our meal. Mom made cheese grits and baked beans for a non-fried side. LOL.

37Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 2:58 pm

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:Usually dad caught the fish- Bream or Mullet. Shrimp, oysters and hush puppies usually accompanied our meal. Mom made cheese grits and baked beans for a non-fried side. LOL.  

OMG, LOL indeed!! My doctor would freak at the thought. Laughing

38Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 3:01 pm

RealLindaL

Joani, I love a great fried shrimp, too (IMHO the old Hall's restaurant had the best around here with their battered coating, though I was never at YOUR house - ha). But have you tried the Grilled Gulf Shrimp at Pegleg's? Would love to have your opinion sometime.

Oops, I guess we've gotten way OT, but if the moderator's OK with it.... Laughing

(And surely knothead doesn't mind, great guy that he is.)

39Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 3:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

LOL.., yes I like the grilled shrimp at Peg Leg's and the grilled/blackened grouper.

Growing up, several seafood restaurants offered baked and broiled fish but the fried 'stuff' was awesome. I did like Hall's, especially the hush puppies and cheese/Rotel sauce.

Speaking of shrimp I have never understood the price of Shrimp Cocktail. What a rip off. You can buy a dozen boiled shrimp for less. We always had boiled shrimp as an appetizer. You could go down to the docks or the old municipal auditorium and buy fresh shrimp off the boats. Crab was another specialty. We caught our own with a net. Now we use the crab baskets. The baskets are a lot of work... keeping them baited, transferred to holding baskets to keep the crabs alive until the boil.

40Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 6:27 pm

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:LOL.., yes I like the grilled shrimp at Peg Leg's and the grilled/blackened grouper.

Growing up, several seafood restaurants offered baked and broiled fish but the fried 'stuff' was awesome. I did like Hall's, especially the hush puppies and cheese/Rotel sauce.

Speaking of shrimp I have never understood the price of Shrimp Cocktail. What a rip off. You can buy a dozen boiled shrimp for less. We always had boiled shrimp as an appetizer. You could go down to the docks or the old municipal auditorium and buy fresh shrimp off the boats. Crab was another specialty. We caught our own with a net. Now we use the crab baskets. The baskets are a lot of work... keeping them baited, transferred to holding baskets to keep the crabs alive until the boil.

Crab jubilee right around the corner . . . . what an unusual but wonderful act of nature!!

41Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 6:35 pm

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:knot,

I hope you can get some medical pot for the nausea.   Radiation and Chemo has been much less impactful because of the edibles.  Not great on pain, but there is no need to suffer from nausea.  A return to a full appetite is important.  I fully expect you to be fighting the good fight ten years from now and with each medical advance, we get closer to winning the battle against cancer.  I guess I could drive to Metropolis and accidently drop a couple packages of gummies in the parking lot before September 11th......but then I risk messing it up for other cancer patients because I broke the rules.  I hope you have access.

I'm certain to rue these words because I have no idea what I'm talking about but I am hoping like the dickens to NOT get nauseated! Your concern is troubling because I am just of the mindset that I will kick this stuff's butt just like I would kick seasickness in a rolling sea . . . . . BTW Mr. Oats let me know when you are in town and we'll make a clandestine meet for the drop!!

42Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/1/2018, 8:38 pm

2seaoat

I will not be going that way until December after my last treatment. I did not have much nausea in my original radiation treatments before the gummies, but the Chemo and the PRRT heavy duty radiation.......it has been a miracle. I would prefer to see how you feel after the first treatment, before bending the law. I also worry about any cross medication issues, but I have never heard of it with Pot. Right now I am going on my fifth day of white stools and incredible pain. I woke up at 6 am to watch the run up to the funeral, and my eyes were filled with tears. It is kind of an automatic response to the higher thresholds of pain. My wife thought I was getting teary eyed because of the funeral, and I told her it has been that way for two days. Every morning I hope my stools will darken and form in a normal manner.........what is happening now is my own little shop of horrors..........not that bad yet.......but getting there. However, I have that one human condition as I spent the afternoon with family........hope. Many cancer patients never were given the chance for the same.

43Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/2/2018, 2:18 am

RealLindaL

Sea, it sure seems wrong for you to suffer like this. Is Mrs. Sea asking you to do something more to alleviate pain? If so you may want to listen to her... I realize none of this is my business or my decision, but it just doesn't seem right for you to have to deal with "incredible pain" if there's a relatively reasonable interim alternative besides just checking out.

44Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/19/2018, 12:01 pm

RealLindaL

Knot, great to see you posting on the political forum! How did the first two infusions of chemo go? Most recent one yesterday, wasn't it? Hope you're feeling reasonably OK......

45Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/19/2018, 12:17 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Waiting to hear!

46Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/24/2018, 11:46 am

knothead

knothead

Sorry friends but have become neglectful lately, I have completed my first chemo "cycle" and my 2nd is scheduled for Oct. 2nd. In a word it has been pretty easy so far, some issues but nothing serious.

As information a cycle is two infusions: 1st is the long one (6 hours), and the 2nd is scheduled one week after the first and it is only 2 hours.

My blood work indicated a spike in my kidney function which is undoubtedly my fault for not drinking enough fluids (that won't happen again).

I have largely lost my sense of taste and am now beginning to lose my appetite. Before I could eat the bark off a tree but now not so much! I do have some slight feelings of nausea but I will not allow nausea to overtake me, much like fighting off seasickness in rough seas.

I have 5 more cycles ahead but I am good but appreciate my friends here so much!

47Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/24/2018, 12:17 pm

It sounds pretty tough from the outside looking in. Love your great attitude tho.

Best wishes and thank you for the update.

48Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/24/2018, 1:00 pm

RealLindaL

What Pkr said, Knot! You're a trooper and will doubtless get through this, though it can't be easy.

I lost much of my sense of smell and taste after a rather strange virus in February, and it's slowly returning a bit, but not the same. I can relate - hopefully your loss is more temporary!

Good for you for your commitment to stay hydrated.

Proud of you, kiddo, for dealing with all this and still keeping strong. Hang in there!

49Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/24/2018, 2:23 pm

knothead

knothead

After some intense thought I want to share an addendum to my own journey.
In January of this year my wife and I had lung screening(s) MRI and while mine showed no anomaly my wife had a suspicious spot in her upper right lobe that our doc said we would keep an eye on. In August we again had imaging on our lungs but this time the 'spot' had grown to about 3.5 cm and she was notified to get a branchascapy (God I butchered that word) and the labs came back with malignancy. Because we are in the Vanderbilt system they immediately arranged an appointment with s specialist. At the appointment he was very direct but said there is a pathway to sunlight here (health).
Tomorrow we go for her surgery . . . . it will be done through three holes in her rib cage and under her arm. Although she smoked cigs since age 13-14 the surgeon was flabbergasted at her lung capacity which is 88% and in very good health otherwise.
So here we are!! Next someone will kill the cattle and burn the barn? Locusts? I'll be in touch base when I have time but I'll be at the hospital for the next few days. I expect her to be in for 2-3 days but send her home with a chest tube . . . . I'm so pissed at US but more importantly this is FIXABLE! I'll stop here yall . . .

50Knothead...How are you? - Page 2 Empty Re: Knothead...How are you? 9/24/2018, 2:34 pm

2seaoat

Our prayers are with your wife and you.  I had my scope and like your wife they went under my left armpit and removed my upper lobe and the tumor.  They have gotten very good at this procedure.  Now my warnings.  Please do not let your wife have solid food for sometime.   This is a painful operation and afterwards breathing and coughing will cause pain and more opiates.  If she chows down while still taking the opiates it is incredibly painful to be constipated after lung surgery.  Make sure she is taking stool softners.   Also, do not be like my wife who got even for me making her laugh after a C section......it hurts to laugh, so please do not tell her about anything Trump has said recently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum