Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senator Cruz voted against Hurricane Sandy relief.

+4
RealLindaL
Telstar
knothead
Joanimaroni
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sandy Scam

BY KYLE BECKER
31 MINUTES AGO
DISCUSS
Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) went on MSNBC to discuss the damage from Hurricane Harvey and its aftermath hammering his home state of Texas.

What he got was a pretty pointed question from critics who want to seize on his request for disaster relief from the Trump administration as a supposed sign of hypocrisy, considering he initially fought Hurricane Sandy relief before the 2012 election.

“A final question, senator, I know you're busy and I want to let you get back to doing everything you can out there,” MSNBC host Katy Tur said. “But a lot of people are pointing out that you voted against aid for Sandy after that catastrophic storm up in the Northeast, that package back in 2012. They're pointing at you and they're pointing at you and saying, 'You're asking for money now when you weren't willing to help the people in the Northeast.' What do you have to say to them?” she asked.

“Well, look, there's time for political sniping later,” Ted Cruz said before Tur cut him off. “I think our focus needs to be on this crisis and this disaster...”

“It's not really political sniping, senator,” Tur said, objecting. “These are people who needed money and who needed funding after this storm. I covered many of these people, many of them, just like in Houston, lost absolutely everything they owned.”

“Well, Katie, Katie, of course, that's right,” Cruz responded. “And the accurate thing to say is that I, and a number of others, enthusiastically and emphatically supported hurricane relief for Sandy. Hurricane relief and disaster relief has been a vital federal role for a long, long time and it should continue.”

Cruz continued:

“The problem with that particular bill is it became a $50 billion bill that was filled with unrelated pork. Two-thirds of that bill had nothing to do with Sandy. And what I said then, and still believe now, is that it's not right for politicians to exploit a disaster and people are hurting to pay for their own political wish list. Disaster relief needs to be focused on the victims of disaster relief. And I supported that for Sandy, disaster relief there, and I would support that anywhere there's a major disaster without getting distracted by political unnecessary pork spending.”

Indeed, the Sandy package was evaluated by the Congressional Budget Office to contain extraneous spending.

“Two thirds of this spending is not remotely ‘emergency’; the Congressional Budget Office estimates that only 30% of the authorized funds would be spent in the next 20 months, and over a billion dollars will be spent as late as 2021,” Cruz said in a 2013 statement.

The $60.4 billion package signed by then-President Barack Obama was indeed chocked full of pork. As the New York Post reported at the time:

The pork-barrel feast includes more than $8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments. It also includes a whopping $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska and $2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in DC.

An eye-popping $13 billion would go to “mitigation” projects to prepare for future storms.

Other big-ticket items in the bill include $207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center; $41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; $4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida; $3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center and $1.1 million to repair national cemeteries.

Critics called the relief package the “Sandy Scam.” A Hurricane Harvey relief bill is projected to dwarf the Superstorm Sandy aid package because of the historic scale of the catastrophic flooding in the aftermath.

knothead

knothead

Based on what I have read here the funding bill was obviously a travesty and an example of political exploitation . . . . . damn I hate to agree with Cruz . . .

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Me too.... but others in this forum are still slamming him.

Telstar

Telstar

Joanimaroni wrote:Me too.... but others in this forum are still slamming him.

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:Based on what I have read here the funding bill was obviously a travesty and an example of political exploitation . . . . . damn I hate to agree with Cruz . . .

The problem is, knot, that, without the opportunity to review all the facts, you and I have no idea whether or not all of most of those supposed "pork" projects were indeed valid and needed expenditures at the time. If perchance Ted Cruz and maybe a few other conservatives were the only ones who didn't judge the add-on's as valid enough to vote for the bill, I'd be very reluctant to cheer his no vote on the face of it. As for "porky" bills in general, I challenge anyone to show that Cruz never voted for one when the add-on's were in his court.

Deus X

Deus X

Like many complex pieces of legislation, there were a number of votes and various versions of the emergency aid. The help for Sandy came in two parts — an uncontroversial vote in late 2012 for a $9.7 billion increase in the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s borrowing power for flood relief, and then a $50.5 billion package that was approved in January 2013, without the votes of Texas Republicans.

So was the $50 billion bill filled with pork — two-thirds of which was unrelated to Sandy?

No.

The Congressional Research Service issued a comprehensive report on the provisions, and it’s clear that virtually all of it was related to the damage caused by Sandy. There may have been some pork in an earlier Senate version, but many of those items were removed before final passage. There were also some items that appear to have been misunderstood.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/08/29/ted-cruzs-claim-that-two-thirds-of-the-hurricane-sandy-bill-had-nothing-to-do-with-sandy/?utm_term=.c0a77385a1ac

Naturally, the liar Joaniephonie didn't give the source of her post, probably afraid that it would be recognized as more bullshit right-wing nonsense. What a pathetic specimen she is.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:Based on what I have read here the funding bill was obviously a travesty and an example of political exploitation . . . . . damn I hate to agree with Cruz . . .

The problem is, knot, that, without the opportunity to review all the facts, you and I have no idea whether or not all of most of those supposed "pork" projects were indeed valid and needed expenditures at the time.  If perchance Ted Cruz and maybe a few other conservatives were the only ones who didn't judge the add-on's as valid enough to vote for the bill, I'd be very reluctant to cheer his no vote on the face of it.  As for "porky" bills in general, I challenge anyone to show that Cruz never voted for one when the add-on's were in his court.

Very true, I wasn't cheering for Ted at all . . . . in fact, I couldn't tell anyone squat about that funding bill . . . . . it could have all been valid expenditures for valid projects . . . .or not?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/08/29/ted-cruzs-claim-that-two-thirds-of-the-hurricane-sandy-bill-had-nothing-to-do-with-sandy/?utm_term=.80188c6e4880

Ted Cruz’s claim that two-thirds of the Hurricane Sandy bill ‘had nothing to do with Sandy’

Senator Cruz voted against Hurricane Sandy relief. Pinocchio_3

boards of FL

boards of FL

Floridatexan wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/08/29/ted-cruzs-claim-that-two-thirds-of-the-hurricane-sandy-bill-had-nothing-to-do-with-sandy/?utm_term=.80188c6e4880

Ted Cruz’s claim that two-thirds of the Hurricane Sandy bill ‘had nothing to do with Sandy’

You beat me to it! Just came here to post that this Cruz response about pork has been completely debunked.

He's a hypocrite. As are the rest of the Texas congressmen who voted against the Sandy relief.

Of course, that doesn't matter to republican voters, but still.

Telstar

Telstar

boards of FL wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/08/29/ted-cruzs-claim-that-two-thirds-of-the-hurricane-sandy-bill-had-nothing-to-do-with-sandy/?utm_term=.80188c6e4880

You beat me to it!  Just came here to post that this Cruz response about pork has been completely debunked.

He's a hypocrite.  As are the rest of the Texas congressmen who voted against the Sandy relief.

Of course, that doesn't matter to republican voters, but still.

Republicans are what they eat up, shit.

Vikingwoman

Chris Christie said Cruz is a liar. The bill did not have two thirds pork.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum