Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sessions met with Russian envoy twice last year, encounters he later did not disclose

+6
Joanimaroni
dumpcare
PkrBum
Vikingwoman
Floridatexan
Telstar
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Telstar

Telstar

Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’s confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race.

The previously undisclosed discussions could fuel new congressional calls for the appointment of a special counsel to investigate Russia’s alleged role in the 2016 presidential election. As attorney general, Sessions oversees the Justice Department and the FBI, which have been leading investigations into Russian meddling and any links to Trump’s associates. He has so far resisted calls to recuse himself.

When Sessions spoke with Kislyak in July and September, the senator was a senior member of the influential Armed Services Committee as well as one of Trump’s top foreign policy advisers. Sessions played a prominent role supporting Trump on the stump after formally joining the campaign in February 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-spoke-twice-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-presidential-campaign-justice-officials-say/2017/03/01/77205eda-feac-11e6-99b4-9e613afeb09f_story.html?utm_term=.91ed088d48a2

Telstar

Telstar

Are they all connected to the Russians?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Fascinating reading. Sessions should recuse himself? No, Sessions should step down. He did not disclose any meeting with any Russians during his confirmation hearing.

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:
Fascinating reading.  Sessions should recuse himself?  No, Sessions should step down.  He did not disclose any meeting with any Russians during his confirmation hearing.

Did Sessions commit perjury? Is it possible the Russian was in disguise? Maybe as Uncle Sam or Abe Lincoln.

Vikingwoman

Sessions did not disclose he met w/ the Russian Ambassador although he did meet w/ 25 other ambassadors as part of his Foreign Relations Committee work but...he was the only senator that met w/ the Russian Ambassador. Interesting.

PkrBum

PkrBum

If he spoke of foreign policy in his official capacity... there was no wrong doing.

I'd prefer however that he were compromised somehow... I don't like many of his positions.

dumpcare

It doesn't matter that he met with the Russian's in his official capacity, the fact is when he was asked he said, NO.

I do not like any of his position's anyway and he should resign this morning.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Quote that full answer please.

dumpcare

Since he was under oath, when asked all he had to say I had a couple of meetings in my official senate capacity, but he did not.

dumpcare

All he had to say is yes I met in my official capacity, but he did not and did meet with them in Sept and he was the only senator to meet with them.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Telstar wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Fascinating reading.  Sessions should recuse himself?  No, Sessions should step down.  He did not disclose any meeting with any Russians during his confirmation hearing.

Did Sessions commit perjury? Is it possible the Russian was in disguise? Maybe as Uncle Sam or Abe Lincoln.
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

dumpcare

Bush’s Ethics Lawyer: Jeff Sessions May Go To Jail If He Lied To Congress
The Attorney General is accused of lying to Congress about conversations with the Russia ambassador.
By Alana Horowitz Satlin
A law professor who served as the White House ethics lawyer under former President George W. Bush slammed Attorney General Jeff Sessions over reports that he lied to Congress about his communications with Russia.

According to the The Washington Post, Sessions spoke to the Russian ambassador twice last year and did not mention the conversations in his confirmation hearings.

If the report is true, it’s “a good way to go to jail,” said Richard Painter, who served as White House ethics lawyer between 2005 and 2007 and is now law professor for the University of Minnesota.

Follow
Richard W. Painter

dumpcare

Have both party's lied to congress at some point? I am sure they all have because it's a double standard, but it's he who gets caught and I'm afraid the good ole boy Session's has his pants down.

This has been good for my mj stocks this morning, they went way down after Spicer's announcement last week that the justice department was going to start enforcing the law's against mj.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:Quote that full answer please.

NO.

dumpcare

Pkr, I do believe the quote is in the youtube vid

In 1999, then Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) described perjury claims against President Bill Clinton as “serious allegations.”

“In America, the Supreme Court and the American people believe no one is above the law,” he said. Sessions also voted “guilty” on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice during Clinton’s impeachment trial.

Now, questions are being raised over statements Sessions made under oath to the Senate during his attorney general confirmation hearings last month. Sessions testified that he “did not have communications with the Russians” during the 2016 presidential election campaign, but a new report in the Washington Post said he spoke twice to the ambassador last year.

Some are already calling for a perjury investigation; House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has urged Sessions to resign.

Sessions’ 1999 comments on C-SPAN, resurfaced by The Intercept’s Lee Fang, appear in the clip above.

The perjury discussion starts at about 9:40.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

“There was absolutely nothing misleading about his answer,” said Sarah Isgur Flores, Sessions’ spokeswoman. “He was asked during the hearing about communications between Russia and the Trump campaign – not about meetings he took as a senator and a member of the Armed Services Committee.”

dumpcare

Joanie he had weeks to correct the record and just say I forgot I met with the Ambassador and he did not. It was not the fact he met with them as a senator it is the fact he should have said yes, "I met with him during the course of my duties as a senator". Then we wouldn't be here today. But he did not.

Telstar

Telstar

Jeff Sessions Met With Russian Ambassador the Same Day Trump Gave Interview to Russian Television

With revelations that Attorney General Jeff Sessions met, on multiple occasions, with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Sergey Kislyak, President Donald Trump can be all but certain that questions surrounding his administration’s ties to Russia will remain.

As Dafna Linzer, Managing Editor for politics at NBC News & MSNBC, pointed out on Twitter, then-candidate Donald Trump gave an interview on Russian television the same day Sessions met with the ambassador — September 8.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/jeff-sessions-met-with-the-russian-ambassador-the-same-day-donald-trump-gave-an-interview-with-russian-television/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:“There was absolutely nothing misleading about his answer,” said Sarah Isgur Flores, Sessions’ spokeswoman. “He was asked during the hearing about communications between Russia and the Trump campaign – not about meetings he took as a senator and a member of the Armed Services Committee.”

"...Sessions' spokeswoman..." LOL

PkrBum

PkrBum

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Quote that full answer please.

NO.

SEN. AL FRANKEN: "If there was any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this (2016) campaign, what would you do?," the Minnesota Democrat asked.

SESSIONS: "I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."

DATE: January 10

--------------------------

SEN. PATRICK J. LEAHY: Several of the President-elect's nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?" the Vermont Democrat asked in a questionnaire.

SESSIONS: No.

Telstar

Telstar

Top Republicans Jason Chaffetz, Rob Portman and Kevin McCarthy are calling on Sessions to recuse himself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/top-gop-lawmaker-calls-on-sessions-to-recuse-himself-from-russia-investigation/2017/03/02/148c07ac-ff46-11e6-8ebe-6e0dbe4f2bca_story.html?utm_term=.884f40a13a20

Telstar

Telstar

Sean Spicer: Anyone asking for Sessions to recuse himself from Russia case should be ‘ashamed’

"He was 100% straight with the committee."

LOL.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/sean-spicer-anyone-asking-for-sessions-to-recuse-himself-from-russia-case-should-be-ashamed/

Telstar

Telstar

"Zealless" and "hinky," it's a republican thing.

Telstar

Telstar

Sessions met with Russian envoy twice last year, encounters he later did not disclose Trump_14

Fake #45 says he has total confidence in Sessions. Doesn't think Sessions should recuse himself from any Russia-related investigations.

http://fox6now.com/2017/03/02/president-trump-says-he-has-total-confidence-in-attorney-general-jeff-sessions/

gatorfan

"Dem lawmaker says she's never met with Russian ambassador — but a tweet suggests otherwise"

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.)

Now:

"I've been on the Armed Services Com for 10 years.No call or meeting w/Russian ambassador. Ever. Ambassadors call members of Foreign Rel Com."

Then:

"Off to meeting w/Russian Ambassador. Upset about the arbitrary/cruel decision to end all US adoptions,even those in process."

Maybe selective memory lapses is the new normal. Remember HRC???

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/321976-dem-lawmaker-says-shes-never-met-with-russian-ambassador-but-a-tweet-suggests

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum