Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AP FACT CHECK: Trump takes credit he hasn't earned

+3
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
knothead
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Failure to support the widow and the ultimate sacrifice of her husband, Ryan Owens, was unbelievable and sickening...yet we are the deplorables! 

That's just a fucking lie.

And, Trump was covering up for his own mistake with the tears of a war widow, nothing less.

You're gawd damned right, it's deplorable.

What is a lie?

The lie I quoted, you stupid, craven hag.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Robert Reich's FB page:

Trump's address to Congress this evening was chock full of lies. Here's a sample:

1."Obamacare premiums nationwide have increased by double and triple digits," Trump said, citing a 116 percent increase in Arizona as an example.

Wrong. Most people get their health care through the employer, and those premiums haven't spiked by nearly this amount. And for many people on the health care exchanges, federal subsidies are offsetting premium increases. Overall premium increases were actually faster under President George W. Bush than under President Barack Obama.

2. “We’ve defended the borders of other nations, while leaving our own borders wide open, for anyone to cross — and for drugs to pour in at a now unprecedented rate.”

Wrong. The data are mixed on the amount of drugs coming through the borders, but illegal immigration flows across the Southern border in fiscal 2015 were at the lowest levels since 1972, except for in 2011.

3. “Since my election, Ford, Fiat-Chrysler, General Motors, Sprint, Softbank, Lockheed, Intel, Walmart, and many others, have announced that they will invest billions of dollars in the United States and will create tens of thousands of new American jobs.”

Rubbish. Trump is taking credit for business decisions made before his election.

4. “As we speak, we are removing gang members, drug dealers and criminals that threaten our communities and prey on our citizens. Bad ones are going out as I speak and as I have promised throughout the campaign.”

More rubbish. About a quarter of the arrests that grabbed headlines in early February were of people who had lesser charges and noncriminal convictions. According to anecdotes of recent arrests, undocumented people with traffic violations were subject to arrest.

5. “By finally enforcing our immigration laws we will raise wages, help the unemployed, save billions and billions of dollars and make our communities safer for everyone.”

Baloney. Research shows noncitizens are less prone to criminality than U.S.-born citizens. The vast majority of unauthorized immigrants are not criminal aliens or aggravated felons. And there’s no evidence that reducing immigration “saves” America any money at all.

6. “Millions lifted from welfare to work is not too much to expect.”

More rubbish. Participation has declined sharply in means-tested programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps).

7. “Ninety-four million Americans are out of the labor force.”

Wrong. Most of the people who are out of the labor force are retired, students, in jail, stay-at-home parents, or disabled.
They aren’t looking for work. Only about a quarter of the approximately 90 million people officially listed as being out of the labor force are able to get back in the job hunt if labor-market conditions were to improve.

8. "Right now, American companies are taxed at one of the highest rates anywhere in the world."

Rubbish. The official tax rate doesn’t reflect all the deductions and tax credits. When they're figured in, American corporations pay about the same effective tax rates as companies in other nations.

9. “America has spent approximately $6 trillion in the Middle East, all this while our infrastructure at home is crumbling. With this $6 trillion we could have rebuilt our country — twice.”

Wildly wrong. The wars in Iraq (in the Middle East) and Afghanistan (in South Asia) together cost about $1.6 trillion from 2001 to 2014. Trump’s $6 trillion-figure includes estimates of future spending -- much of which Trump himself plans to spend.

10. “The murder rate in 2015 experienced its largest single-year increase in nearly half a century. In Chicago, more than 4,000 people were shot last year alone — and the murder rate so far this year has been even higher. This is not acceptable in our society.”

Wrong again. Overall violent crime is on a decades-long decline, since the height of the crack cocaine epidemic in the early 1990s.

11. “Jamiel’s 17-year-old son was viciously murdered by an illegal immigrant gang member, who had just been released from prison. Jamiel Shaw Jr. was an incredible young man, with unlimited potential who was getting ready to go to college where he would have excelled as a great quarterback. But he never got the chance. His father, who is in the audience tonight, has become a good friend of mine.”

Anecdotes don’t prove anything. U.S. Sentencing Commission data show homicides are a small percentage of the crimes committed by noncitizens, whether they are in the United States illegally or not.

12. “I can tell you the money is pouring in. Very nice.”

Trump ad-libbed this line after mentioning that he was pressing NATO allies in “very frank and strong discussions” to meet their financial obligations to the alliance. But his point is nonsense. NATO allies were already increasing their military spending before Trump was elected. And the money is not “pouring into” the United States or even to NATO anyway; it's money countries would spend to bolster their own military.

Trump tells lies the way most people breathe. They come so naturally to him that he can't stop. But his lies undermine our democracy because, told over and over, they begin to sound truthful. As a result, Americans support policies that are wrong or nonsensical.

What do you think?

Lies of omission, lies of commission, shameful exploitation of Ryan Owens' widow, grandstanding, posturing, taking credit for things he had no hand in, refusing to take blame for the horribly botched raid in Yemen, where not only the Navy Seal, but 29 others, including women and children, were killed.  And yet you continue to support this POS.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/02/father-seal-yemen-raid-meet-trump.html

AP FACT CHECK: Trump takes credit he hasn't earned - Page 2 27-ryan-owens.w710.h473

"Days after a U.S. counterterrorism raid targeting al Qaeda in Yemen on January 29, President Trump and his daughter Ivanka Trump went to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to witness the return of the remains for Chief Special Warfare Operator William “Ryan” Owens, the 36-year-old Navy SEAL who died during the raid. It was reported that the Trumps met with Owens’s family, but over the weekend Owens’s father, Bill, revealed that he refused to meet with the president.

Owens told the Miami Herald that the family only found out the Trumps were coming a short time before the ceremony. “I told them I didn’t want to make a scene about it, but my conscience wouldn’t let me talk to him,” he said. Owens and his wife sat in another room as other family members met with the president.

Owens, who is a veteran, told the paper that he didn’t vote for Trump and was disturbed by his feud with a Gold Star family during the campaign. Now he has concerns about how the raid that killed his son was carried out, and he’s calling for an investigation.

“Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when it wasn’t even barely a week into his administration? Why? For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen — everything was missiles and drones — because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?’’ Owens said.

According to multiple reports, just about everything went wrong during the raid. While the mission had been planned by the Obama administration, Trump was given final approval. The White House said the president was briefed on the mission during a dinner with then–National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, Vice-President Mike Pence, Chief Strategist Steve Bannon, son-in-law Jared Kushner, and other top aides. Owens was the only U.S. service member killed, but five other U.S. military personnel were injured. A number of civilians, including children, were also killed.

Despite reports that the mission failed its primary objective — to capture or kill Qassim al-Rimi, the head of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula — White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer insisted that it was “a huge success,” and said anyone who suggested otherwise was disrespecting Ryan Owens.

President Trump also mentioned Owens in a series of tweets attacking Senator John McCain for questioning the mission.

“Don’t hide behind my son’s death to prevent an investigation,” said Bill Owens. “I want an investigation,” he added. “The government owes my son an investigation,” he said..."

That poor woman. And, BTW, although the Democrats did not stand for the unmentionable one's address, they most definitely DID stand to honor our fallen soldier and his wife.

Vikingwoman

PkrBum wrote:It's strange that you can contort over backwards to give him an out... but you can't understand plain English... purposefully. You're a good little comrade... and very useful... I'll give you that.

"We knew this day would come. We've known it for some time. But still there is something profound about the end of a war that has lasted so long. It's harder to end a war than begin one. Everything that American troops have done in Iraq - all the fighting, all the dying, the bleeding and the building and the training and the partnering, all of it has landed to this moment of success."

Help me here? Where in the hell does Obama say he won the war in Iraq? I know you're a dilbert but surely you know the difference between "won" and "ended?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum