Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Media's 'Fact Check' Smokescreen

+2
othershoe1030
boards of FL
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

"The problem is that the mainstream press is now abusing the "fact check" label, using it to more aggressively push a liberal agenda without feeling the need to provide any balance whatsoever. And, as the reaction to the Ryan speech shows, they are now blatantly using it to provide air support for Obama."

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/083012-624188-so-called-fact-checks-disguise-media-liberal-agenda.htm?src=HPLNews

boards of FL

boards of FL

alecto, what do you feel was the purpose of Ryan mentioning the GM plant? What was your honest interpretation of why he mentioned that?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

There will surely be fact checking at the Democratic Convention so the R's shouldn't fret too much. I just hope the Democrats will notice how up in arms the public is about the over-the-top blatant 'spinning' coming from the convention in Tampa and take this opportunity to put forth some good ideas and make statements that correspond with reality.

Here's a favorite quote of mine although I didn't know that Colbert was the one who said it. That makes it even more fun. (get ready for wingers to trash Colbert right on cue)

Reality has a liberal bias.

According to wikipedia he delivered this line at his infamous performance in front of President Bush at the White House Correspondence Dinner in 2006.

boards of FL wrote:alecto, what do you feel was the purpose of Ryan mentioning the GM plant? What was your honest interpretation of why he mentioned that?

The part of the speech in question.

"President Barack Obama came to office during an economic crisis, as he has reminded us a time or two. Those were very tough days, and any fair measure of his record has to take that into account. My home state voted for President Obama. When he talked about change, many people liked the sound of it, especially in Janesville, where we were about to lose a major factory.

A lot of guys I went to high school with worked at that GM plant. Right there at that plant, candidate Obama said: “I believe that if our government is there to support you … this plant will be here for another hundred years.” That’s what he said in 2008.

Well, as it turned out, that plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day. And that’s how it is in so many towns today, where the recovery that was promised is nowhere in sight."

Honestly I believe he mentioned it to illustrate to the people watching another broken promise from Obama and to remind the people in Janesville and Wisconsin that Obama did not help them. I do not believe Ryan was accusing Obama of closing the plant, he quoted Obama's own words.

Obama gave a speech on Feb 13th at the Janesville plant where he said

"This can be America’s future. I know that General Motors received some bad news yesterday, and I know how hard your Governor has fought to keep jobs in this plant. But I also know how much progress you’ve made – how many hybrids and fuel-efficient vehicles you’re churning out. And I believe that if our government is there to support you, and give you the assistance you need to re-tool and make this transition, that this plant will be here for another hundred years. The question is not whether a clean energy economy is in our future, it’s where it will thrive. I want it to thrive right here in the United States of America; right here in Wisconsin; and that’s the future I’ll fight for as your President."

Did Obama close the plant? NO. Did Obama have any say in which plants closed? NO. Obama did offer support and assistance to try to help the plant stay open, that did not happen and the plant closed.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

alecto wrote:
boards of FL wrote:alecto, what do you feel was the purpose of Ryan mentioning the GM plant? What was your honest interpretation of why he mentioned that?

The part of the speech in question.

"President Barack Obama came to office during an economic crisis, as he has reminded us a time or two. Those were very tough days, and any fair measure of his record has to take that into account. My home state voted for President Obama. When he talked about change, many people liked the sound of it, especially in Janesville, where we were about to lose a major factory.

A lot of guys I went to high school with worked at that GM plant. Right there at that plant, candidate Obama said: “I believe that if our government is there to support you … this plant will be here for another hundred years.” That’s what he said in 2008.

Well, as it turned out, that plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day. And that’s how it is in so many towns today, where the recovery that was promised is nowhere in sight."

Honestly I believe he mentioned it to illustrate to the people watching another broken promise from Obama and to remind the people in Janesville and Wisconsin that Obama did not help them. I do not believe Ryan was accusing Obama of closing the plant, he quoted Obama's own words.

Obama gave a speech on Feb 13th at the Janesville plant where he said

"This can be America’s future. I know that General Motors received some bad news yesterday, and I know how hard your Governor has fought to keep jobs in this plant. But I also know how much progress you’ve made – how many hybrids and fuel-efficient vehicles you’re churning out. And I believe that if our government is there to support you, and give you the assistance you need to re-tool and make this transition, that this plant will be here for another hundred years. The question is not whether a clean energy economy is in our future, it’s where it will thrive. I want it to thrive right here in the United States of America; right here in Wisconsin; and that’s the future I’ll fight for as your President."

Did Obama close the plant? NO. Did Obama have any say in which plants closed? NO. Obama did offer support and assistance to try to help the plant stay open, that did not happen and the plant closed.

The plant closed because of eight years of Bush. And, because of people like Romney, who only want to continue Bush's failed policies (is "failed" even a big enough word here?). Maybe Bush really set out to screw the American people. If that's the case, he succeeded. And if you want to do the whole thing over again, vote for Romney.

Floridatexan wrote:
The plant closed because of eight years of Bush. And, because of people like Romney, who only want to continue Bush's failed policies (is "failed" even a big enough word here?). Maybe Bush really set out to screw the American people. If that's the case, he succeeded. And if you want to do the whole thing over again, vote for Romney.

Stupidity just oozes out of you doesn't it (is "Stupidity" even a big enough word here?)? You have absolutely no clue as to why the plant closed but you idiotically jump at the chance to blame bush. So this is the question? Took GWB 8 years to destroy the country and rack up a 5 trillion dollar deficit with his failed policies. Took Obama 3 1/2 years to destroy the country and rack up an additional 11 trillion dollars in deficit with his failed policies. So once again why should anyone vote for Obama? Obama has done far more damage in 3 1/2 years than GWB did in 8. Obama is systematically destroying this country, record unemployment, record deficits, divided country, longest economic recovery in history, the list just goes on and on yet you want people to vote for this utter failure of a president and allow him to continue his failure of a presidency. Only an idiot would vote to continue the Obama failure.

alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Stupidity just oozes out of you doesn't it (is "Stupidity" even a big enough word here?)? You have absolutely no clue as to why the plant closed but you idiotically jump at the chance to blame bush. So this is the question? Took GWB 8 years to destroy the country and rack up a 5 trillion dollar deficit with his failed policies. Took Obama 3 1/2 years to destroy the country and rack up an additional 11 trillion dollars in deficit with his failed policies. So once again why should anyone vote for Obama? Obama has done far more damage in 3 1/2 years than GWB did in 8. Obama is systematically destroying this country, record unemployment, record deficits, divided country, longest economic recovery in history, the list just goes on and on yet you want people to vote for this utter failure of a president and allow him to continue his failure of a presidency. Only an idiot would vote to continue the Obama failure.

Why do you expect Obama or anyone could have cleaned up this mess? Seriously? No matter who was in office this mess could not have been cleaned up overnight or in 4 yrs. It's going to take a lot longer no matter who is President. We were too far gone and that's just a fact. Your party's candidate is not going to do it just like Rick Scott hasn't done it in Fl. There is still record unemployment here and he has been in office just as long as Obama or almost.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Why do you expect Obama or anyone could have cleaned up this mess? Seriously? No matter who was in office this mess could not have been cleaned up overnight or in 4 yrs. It's going to take a lot longer no matter who is President. We were too far gone and that's just a fact. Your party's candidate is not going to do it just like Rick Scott hasn't done it in Fl. There is still record unemployment here and he has been in office just as long as Obama or almost.

Cleaning up is what we expected of him. Making it worse was his own undoing.

Greater debt. Could have been stopped. He chose to make it worse instead of better. solyndra was to cork on the bottle. Like a working man loaning money to a crackhead. Don't expect to get it back.

ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Greater debt. Could have been stopped. He chose to make it worse instead of better. solyndra was to cork on the bottle. Like a working man loaning money to a crackhead. Don't expect to get it back.

You would have rather we went into a total collapse? What did expect him to do to stop the country from collapsing? Tell us?

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

You would have rather we went into a total collapse? What did expect him to do to stop the country from collapsing? Tell us?

Lets see what a business man does. Instead of a lawyer. Romney 2012.

ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Just what I thought. You spout off like a typical dumb republican about the debt but have no answers for how to fix what we were facing.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Just what I thought. You spout off like a typical dumb republican about the debt but have no answers for how to fix what we were facing.

So lets re-hire someone who can't fix it? You ain't very bright, are you?

ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

No, you just can't get it.Nobody could have fixed it-nobody could have pulled us back to prosperity no matter how much they lie to you.We were way too far gone.All he could do was stop us from completely falling into a depression far greater then we have ever experienced but you would have to know how our economy works and unfortunately...you don't.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

No, you just can't get it.Nobody could have fixed it-nobody could have pulled us back to prosperity no matter how much they lie to you.We were way too far gone.All he could do was stop us from completely falling into a depression far greater then we have ever experienced but you would have to know how our economy works and unfortunately...you don't.

Trying to understand your logic is what got me banned before.

If I say you is the smartest women in the world, would you please stop stalking my posts and leave me alone?

Pretty please leave me alone. The -330 rating is not a reflection on you. It just reflects your opinions.

Dreamsglore wrote:

I truly never expected Obama to fix anything overnight and I do realize it will take time to fix but what I did expect was Obama to point the country in the right direction, to lead the country back to a path of prosperity. Can you honestly say Obama has put us back on the path to prosperity? I can't, sure you can point to all kinds of statistics and numbers manipulated to show what you want and say it is getting better but look around to what you see every day, look at all the people you know, your a social worker right, honestly has it been better or worse? Do I think Romney will fix everything? No I do not, I can not honestly say Romney will be any better than Obama or GWB, h3ll he could be a complete disaster who knows but I do not think Obama has moved this country in the right direction.

BTW, thank you for the civil reply.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
ghandi wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I'm going to sleep now. Maybe your prozac ridden rants will make sense in the morning. But I doubt it.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I know what they meant but look what it looks like. Is this funny or what?

The Media's 'Fact Check' Smokescreen 12083110

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I'm surprised you don't drown on a daily basis in the crap you spew.

VectorMan

VectorMan

othershoe1030 wrote:I know what they meant but look what it looks like. Is this funny or what?

The Media's 'Fact Check' Smokescreen 12083110

We deserve better than Obama. I'd vote for a rusty tin can over him. The man has done enough damage and needs to be fired.

The Media's 'Fact Check' Smokescreen Newsweekobamacover.08312012

NaNook

NaNook

Time has Obama on the cover next week.

...go figure..... the MSM.....I hope they report the 2 hours of Muslim prayers on Monday.....to open the convention....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum