Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NBA Basketball

+5
Sal
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
Telstar
boards of FL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 20]

376NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/5/2017, 1:39 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:I went on any internet walkabout reading about Barkley... he really was something else.

Personality wise too... lol

Barkley was a prolific scorer who averaged 22.1 points-per-game during the regular season for his career and 23.0 points-per-game in the playoffs for his career. Barkley was an incredibly efficient offensive force, leading the NBA in 2-point field goal percentage every season from the 1986–87 season to the 1990–91 season. He led the league in effective field goal percentage in both the 1986–87 and 1987–88 seasons as well, and also led the league in offensive rating in both the 1988–89 and 1989–90 seasons.[16] He was one of the NBA's most versatile players and accurate scorers capable of scoring from anywhere on the court and established himself as one of the NBA's premier clutch players.[1] During his NBA career, Barkley was a constant mismatch because he possessed a set of very uncommon skills and could play in a variety of positions. He would use all facets of his game in a single play; as a scorer, he had the ability to score from the perimeter and the post, using an array of spin moves and fadeaways, or finishing a fast break with a powerful dunk. He was one of the most efficient scorers of all-time, scoring at 54.13% total field goal percentage for his season career and 51.34% total field goal shooting for his playoff career (including a career-high season average of 60% during the 1989–90 NBA season).[16]

Barkley is the shortest player in NBA history to lead the league in rebounding when he averaged a career high 14.6 rebounds per game during the 1986–87 season.[56] His tenacious and aggressive form of play built into an undersized frame that fluctuated between 284 pounds (129 kg) and 252 pounds (114 kg) helped cement his legacy as one of the greatest rebounders in NBA history, averaging 11.7 rebounds per game in the regular season for his career and 12.9 rebounds per game in his playoff career and totaling 12,546 rebounds for his season career.[16] Barkley topped the NBA in offensive rebounding for three straight years[6] and was most famous among very few power forwards who could control a defensive rebound, dribble the length of the court and finish at the rim with a powerful dunk.[56]

Barkley also possessed considerable defensive talents led by an aggressive demeanor, foot speed and his capacity to read the floor to anticipate for steals, a reason why he established his career as the second All-Time leader in steals for the power forward position[57] and leader of the highest all-time steal per game average for the power forward position.[57] Despite being undersized for both the small forward and power forward positions, he also finished among the all-time leaders in blocked shots.[58] His speed and leaping ability made him one of the few power forwards capable of running down court to block a faster player with a chase-down block.[56]

In a SLAM magazine issue ranking NBA greats, Barkley was ranked among the top 20 players of All-Time. In the magazine, NBA Hall-of-Famer Bill Walton commented on Barkley's ability. Walton stated, "Barkley is like Magic [Johnson] and Larry [Bird] in that they don't really play a position. He plays everything; he plays basketball. There is nobody who does what Barkley does. He's a dominant rebounder, a dominant defensive player, a three-point shooter, a dribbler, a playmaker."[6]

Good read

377NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/5/2017, 1:43 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:They're better off without LeBron. I hate to say it... but LeBron could replace green and improve the team. But... LeBron would have to accept that role... which is highly unlikely. Green is the glue... even w Durant.

Proud Green kept his composure last night. The last 2 games Green accepted his responsibility and played great defense. He didn't need to do the shooting.

378NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/5/2017, 3:02 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

This series will shift the conversation in the NBA from "Is LeBron the GOAT?" to "Are the Warriors the best team in NBA history?"  They're certainly the winningest team ever if we look at the last three year stretch.  They're very likely to end up with two rings out of those three seasons.  I don't think this does anything to help out Durant's legacy since he joined a 73-9 team, but it will certainly take some pressure off of him.

It is very likely that we're going to be looking at Lebron versus Golden State for at least the next 2-3 more years.  LeBron will certainly reach the finals for the next 3-4 more years.  At some point the Warriors are going to have to pay Thompson and Green, and that will reduce them somewhat.  But if LeBron is going to get by this Warriors team the Cavs will have to re-tool the roster.  They aren't winning in a shootout so they're going to have a take a different tack.  I doubt Love will be back next year.  If they can manage to grab Paul George they may have a shot since he plays defense and is a better scorer than Love.

379NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/5/2017, 5:12 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Very very slowly you may begin to understand that basketball is a team sport. An individual player can make a team better but that doesn't guarantee a winning season and playoff. Glaring example was Oklahoma.

LaBron won those rings with a team, not on his own. The best team wins, not the best player.

380NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/5/2017, 5:52 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Very very slowly you may begin to understand that basketball is a team sport. An individual player can make a team better but that doesn't guarantee a winning season and playoff.

It's comments like these that lead me to believe that you have absolutely no comprehension of anything I have ever said about the NBA on this forum.

381NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/5/2017, 7:00 pm

2seaoat

I totally agree that a paul george or jimmy butler addition to the Cavs would be a start to close the obvious problems on defense. I have heard that george wants to go to the Lakers, but the Cavs could trade Frye, Smith, and even thompson for George, and the Pacers would have a good foundation to build and the Cavs would have george probably for a year and then he goes into free agency. I would not get rid of Love if I did not have to because he is spacing much better this year, and my personal belief is that George could easily get more rebounds than thompson who is completely inept in scoring, and I do not like his defense. They need to be retooling with defense as their number one priority. This would involve James dropping back down with the bigs and guarding bigs. However, we are looking at the best team ball I have watched in my life. The Bulls were so much fun, but the Warriors passing and defense is just pure pleasure to watch. This team will dominate for half a decade.

382NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/5/2017, 10:16 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Very very slowly you may begin to understand that basketball is a team sport. An individual player can make a team better but that doesn't guarantee a winning season and playoff.

It's comments like these that lead me to believe that you have absolutely no comprehension of anything I have ever said about the NBA on this forum.  

I do understand what you have said. I just do not agree that Labron is the best player in the world. You reference his rings as if he earned them in a single-handed effort. He won them by adding his talent to stack a team, Miami. LaBron decides to leave. Duane's knees were bad and only played half the season and Chris was at that time, in good health. Could they win another championship, probably not. LaBron was watching a team unable to win. Meanwhile, Kyrie was in Cleveland and they wanted Love....stacking a team and going home was a win win for LaBron.

383NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/6/2017, 1:39 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Would you all agree that this Warriors team would own the '95 Bulls?

384NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/6/2017, 10:28 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

They play wed and then Fri... and wait till mon to play in gs. I'm not a fan of the way the games are laid out. It feels disjointed.

It'd be fun to watch a series between all time great teams. But i think that the level of play naturally increases. Mike would love it tho... he was a single minded force of nature. He'd die trying to win.

385NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/6/2017, 10:35 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

I was thinking about what an all time great big would look like in this series. I think they'd have their way.

Moses, Hakeem, Wilt, Kareem... even Shaq.

386NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 8:08 am

2seaoat

Would you all agree that this Warriors team would own the '95 Bulls?

The Warriors never played a team which had three first team defensive players which Rodman, Pippen, and Jordan comprised in the 95-96 season. Offensive greatness is easy. Defensive greatness not so much. You cannot flip the switch on defense. It is ingrained in a player and NEVER is turned off.

Having said that Durant and Curry both have a chance to become the goat. I have never seen such offensive prowess. Durant is the best player on the planet right now as he has humiliated James. However, lets not lose sight that James is not playing defense on anybody, he is turning over the ball, and his team is one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. I will need to watch the Warriors actually play a good defensive team before reaching that conclusion, but yes the Warriors have a path to be the greatest team in NBA history.

One thing is certain. If James looks as horrible as he has in the first two games the rest of the series, the goat discussion is over. KD and Curry are simply fun to watch, and Durant's defense is so much better than James has ever played, basketball people realize that we are watching once in a lifetime basketball with KD. KD is a team player. KD's greatest strength is his defensive help which makes the Warriors defense very good. I will need to watch them win two more before I declare them the best ever, but I really like this TEAM.

387NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 10:19 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

Just heard a stat on radio that Irving/James/Love are 5 for 23 with Thompson guarding them.

If curry can continue to improve defensively... gsw can improve. That's scary.

388NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 2:35 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Klay Thompson is not just a splash brother trailing behind Steph. He is a great defenseman.

389NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 3:21 pm

2seaoat

Klay and Green are two way players who every team in the NBA would give up everything to get them. They are the foundation from which Durant and Curry can blossom. I do not think at anytime in NBA history have two teams brought so much talent to a championship. The Warriors are just fun to watch. I have not seen a team like this since the Jordan Bulls, and almost every player on both teams is a class act which goes without saying is why the NBA has never been more popular. However, some truths are slowly being revealed. Sports radio and tv are keying on those truths. The emperor's new clothes just will not fly when you got nothing. Even a child can see the truth.

390NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 3:44 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Klay and Green are two way players who every team in the NBA would give up everything to get them.   They are the foundation from which Durant and Curry can blossom.  I do not think at anytime in NBA history have two teams brought so much talent to a championship.  The Warriors are just fun to watch.  I have not seen a team like this since the Jordan Bulls, and almost every player on both teams is a class act which goes without saying is why the NBA has never been more popular.  However, some truths are slowly being revealed.   Sports radio and tv are keying on those truths.  The emperor's new clothes just will not fly when you got nothing.   Even a child can see the truth.

Absolutely!

391NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 9:35 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Whistle happy refs.

392NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 10:08 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

It's a strange game so far. The Cavs definitely came out trying to play better d... but the refs better check some of it before a fight breaks out. Gsw really should be up by more.

393NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 10:14 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Total bs non call and then call on green... and then James gets breathed on and there's a whistle.

394NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 10:48 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Terrible calls....the refs sure do hate the Russian.

395NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 11:46 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Awesome play from Durant... but James just left him open on that last 3. Strange.

396NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 11:49 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

11-0 run in the last 3 minutes. Beautiful.

397NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/7/2017, 11:55 pm

2seaoat

I have been gone all evening with an award ceremony and I turn on the TV and I see the Cavs ahead. I was shocked, but immediately James fails to guard Durant and he scores a three. He could put up fifty points, but he hurts teams with his defense and turnovers. It is appropriate that he blew the game at the end because it puts an explanation point on what I have been saying for years. He hurts a team. Irving looked great. Durant proved again that he is the best player on the planet. I cannot believe that the game was won only by five points. That has to be an a+ for the Cavs effort, but their defense in the fourth which was the only quarter which I watched about half was terrible. They need to trade for some defensive players because they are embarrassing on defense. James has a lot of integrity in my book, and I am looking forward to his take, and will he take responsibility for this loss. Its all on him, and all these people talking about his points have simply no understanding of the game of basketball. This guy is toxic for team defense.

398NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/8/2017, 12:02 am

2seaoat

11-0 run in the last 3 minutes. Beautiful.

You tell me what coach in the NBA would have the gonads to bench James with two minutes left. He looked as bad on defense as I have ever seen him play. I think fatigue explains a great deal of it, but he has not been playing good defense for five years. A good effort by the Cavs, and like the Buffalo Bills the consolation prize is about all they will earn this year. There were seven all stars on that floor, and that alone was a thing of beauty, and it took a lot of pride to make this a game against the Warriors.

399NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/8/2017, 2:10 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

James was worn out. He played all but two minutes the entire game. He was not productive in the last half of the 4th quarter. Cost the Cavs the game. They had 6 scoreless possessions to end the game.

400NBA Basketball - Page 16 Empty Re: NBA Basketball 6/8/2017, 7:14 pm

2seaoat

I think he gets what he wants from the coach, and 9 out of 10 times most NBA coaches would do just the opposite. He has contributed to his own failings by being the coach also.......what could he had done if POP was his coach and told him to sit his asz down and take a breather. Yes, like a heroin addict, the withdrawal for a team is painful, but when you get to the championship, you cannot have one of your three key players go awol on defense because he is either exhausted, or no longer able to guard quicker players. Either way a team can only be beat by another team, playing team ball. Terrible formula on minutes and as Bosh said.....it is hard. The Goat discussion is over. He will never pass Kobe, Magic, Russell, Kareem and Michael, and I personally think he has made the second team temporarily, but with Durant and Curry still playing, there is a high probability they will pass James. I think his legacy will go beyond the goat list. Few stars in any sport have conducted themselves with the class and poise which he has lived his life. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum