Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pentagon Demanding Soldiers Return Reenlistment Bonuses . . . President Obama Could Stop This With a Phone Call!

+3
ZVUGKTUBM
Telstar
Markle
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama COULD stop this with one of his infamous phone calls or, at most, one of his infamous Executive Orders. This is just shameful! Why aren't those who made the mistake being held responsible?

NEWS IRAQ TURMOIL OCT 24 2016, 7:29 PM ET
Pentagon Demanding Soldiers Return Reenlistment Bonuses
by CORKY SIEMASZKO

Roughly a decade ago the military put an offer on the table for thousands of California National Guard soldiers: reenlist for six years and go fight in Iraq and Afghanistan in exchange for bonuses of $15,000 or more.

The soldiers who signed on the dotted line back in 2006 and 2007 upheld their end of the bargain, but now the Pentagon says the bonuses were improperly paid out and is demanding the money back.

Image: U.S. Army soldiers run towards a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter
U.S. Army soldiers run towards a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter near Tall Afar, Iraq, on June 5 2006. JACOB N. BAILEY / AP

"Totally betrayed, that's how I feel," Susan Haley, who served 26 years in the Army and now owes the feds $20,500, told NBC News on Monday. "I didn't knowingly accept money I wasn't supposed to have. They wanted me to reenlist, and I was assured everything was fine."

Haley, 47, has plenty of company. About 9,700 other California National Guard soldiers are also being asked by the military to return the bonuses.

[...]

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iraq-turmoil/pentagon-demanding-soldiers-return-reenlistment-bonuses-n671941

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama COULD stop this with one of his infamous phone calls or, at most, one of his infamous Executive Orders.  This is just shameful!   Why aren't those who made the mistake being held responsible?

President Obama could not fix this at the stroke of a pen, as Lame Dork poster Markle asserts.

The Lame Dork failed to mention that Congress controls appropriations; not the president. However, with the current Congress being so absolutely dysfunctional, I seriously doubt that this is even a priority.

This event occurred early in the Iraq War, during the time that the Sunni insurgency was in full swing. Remember, we were involved unexpectedly in a hot shooting war, because Bush's war-planners never considered that Iraqi's would oppose us so stiffly after Bush's ill-conceived invasion.

DOD Secretary Rumsfeld was desperate to keep the operation going, and this is when the multiple deployments by reservists, etc. started happening, along with stop loss moves and recalling soldiers from the inactive reserve--all so they could send these folks off to war again.

Apparently, very nice bonuses were also offered to get people to re-enlist, because they needed warm bodies for two ongoing wars. The California National Guard mistakenly approved bonus packages for National Guardsmen who were not eligible for them.

I agree that both the DOD and the California Guard should share responsibility for fixing this, and Congress could take care of it, instead of laying it on the backs of the soldiers.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
The Lame Dork failed to mention that Congress controls appropriations; not the president. However, with the current Congress being so absolutely dysfunctional, I seriously doubt that this is even a priority.

You are correct.

The person responsible for this fraud was sent to prison, and this problem was brought to the attention of Congress two years ago.

But, the Republicans in Congress have failed to address it in any way because they are not interested in legislating in any capacity.

2seaoat

I am sure children on food stamps could have another $12 a month cut.......its just a matter of priorities.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

You are correct.

The person responsible for this fraud was sent to prison, and this problem was brought to the attention of Congress two years ago.

But, the Republicans in Congress have failed to address it in any way because they are not interested in legislating in any capacity.

This is deplorable! Pun intended.

Of course, Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama could solve this IF HE DIDN'T HAT THE MILITARY, with a phone call or on of his infamous EXECUTIVE ORDERS.

They signed a legitimate contract with the United States. Now the US is trying to renege on their promise. Not a surprise what with Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama in the Oval Office.

In your hate, you have probably missed the fact that EVEN Democrats and Progressives are outraged by this SNAFU.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:
Sal wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

You are correct.

This is deplorable!  Pun intended.

Of course, Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama could solve this IF HE DIDN'T HAT THE MILITARY, with a phone call or on of his infamous EXECUTIVE ORDERS.

They signed a legitimate contract with the United States.  Now the US is trying to renege on their promise.  Not a surprise what with Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama in the Oval Office.

In your hate, you have probably missed the fact that EVEN Democrats and Progressives are outraged by this SNAFU.

You're not really outraged.... This is just another chance for you to use this situation to create more cheap propaganda. If President Obama could use executive action to take care of this problem, you would complain about him writing yet another executive order.....

Sal

Sal

Do you not read, Markle?

Are people being arrested for this fraud yet? It sounds to me like they and perhaps the state of California should be held accountable.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Are people being arrested for this fraud yet?

Yes.

2seaoat

This is deplorable!

Why?

If you got overpaid a real estate commission and the principal wanted the overpayment back.......would you expect the President to sign an executive order?

If a Welfare mother got credit for three children all year long, but an audit indicated it was a mistake and she only had two children......would you expect the President to sign an executive order?

If the Bank took double their fee from your checking account for five years, and you demanded your money back, but the bank wanted an executive order to let them keep your money........would you expect the President to sign an executive order?

You sir are no Republican......just a propagandist for fascism. Main street Republicans want integrity and accountability of government money. They should pay back the money, just like you or I have to pay back an IRS error on a too large refund.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Guard figures involved in the incentive fraud

October 21, 2013

From 2000 to 2010, thousands of California National Guard members improperly or illegally received enlistment incentive payments. Guard audits to date have found that at least 115 service members – most of them officers – committed fraud or acted improperly.

From 2000 to 2010, thousands of California National Guard members improperly or illegally received enlistment incentive payments. Guard audits to date have found that at least 115 service members – most of them officers – committed fraud or acted improperly. Following are some of key players who benefited from or led the problem program, which The Sacramento Bee exposed in October 2010. Many have faced discipline under the Guard’s current leader, Adjutant Gen. David S. Baldwin.

Brig. Gen. Louis J. Antonetti; led California Army National Guard, 2007-10

Involvement in improprieties: Recruiting/Retention reported to him during widespread fraud; he pressured recruiters to increase enlistments.

Consequences: None.

Current role: Retired in 2010.

Brig. Gen. Charlotte L. Miller; led Recruiting and Retention Command, 2005-07

Involvement in the improprieties: In command during widespread fraud; set policy that led to self-enrichment by recruiters.

Consequences: Removed from Guard.

Current role: Retired, but can be recalled by U.S. Army or Army Reserve.

Col. Diana L. Bodner; led Recruiting and Retention Command, 2007-09

Involvement in improprieties: In command during widespread fraud.

Consequences: Removed from command; flagged*; removed from promotion list.

Current role: Retired.

Lieutenant Col. Jodee A. Rowe; led Recruiting and Retention Command, 2009-11

Involvement in improprieties: In command during widespread fraud and illegal giveaway of iPads/gift cards to recruiters.

Consequences: Removed from command; flagged*; removed from promotion list; reprimanded^.

Current role: Retired.

Maj. Jeffrey C. Nichols; led recruiting for National Guard Bureau, a federal agency

Involvement in improprieties: Received $45,000 improperly, according to auditor documents.

Consequences: Reprimanded^; recoupment to be determined.

Current role: Part-time Guard member.

Maj. Steven B. Poteat; Executive officer, Recruiting and Retention Command

Involvement in improprieties: Key leader during widespread fraud; evaluated Master Sgt. Toni L. Jaffe favorably (see below).

Consequences: N/A.

Current role: Retired (now assistant professor of military science, UC Davis).

Maj. Douglas S. Williams; Officer, then acting-commander, Recruiting and Retention Command

Involvement in improprieties: Received $21,300 improperly.

Consequences: Removed from command; flagged*; $21,300 restitution; separated from full-time service.

Current role: Retired

Capt. Yasser J. Brenes; Recruiter

Involvement in improprieties: Received $27,000 improperly.

Consequences: Flagged*; security clearance revoked; pleaded guilty to fraud; sentenced to pay $27,000 in restitution, two days in custody, one year probation.

Current role: Discharged in 2013.

Capt. Raymond Allard; Educational services officer

Involvement in improprieties: Received $29,000 improperly.

Consequences: Pleaded guilty to fraud; sentenced to pay $29,000 in restitution, four days in custody, one year probation; reprimanded^.

Capt. Thomas Nys; Logistics officer.

Involvement in improprieties: Received $20,000 improperly.

Consequences: Pleaded guilty to fraud; sentenced to pay $21,000 in restitution and fines, one year probation.

Current role: Resigned in 2012.

Capt. Bruce H. Corum; Guard member

Involvement in improprieties: Received $83,000 improperly, according to auditor documents – estimated as the most by any service member.

Consequences: Reprimanded~; recoupment to be determined.

Capt. Robert N. Couture; Recruiter

Involvement in improprieties: Received $51,000 improperly, according to auditor documents.

Consequences: Reprimanded~; recoupment to be determined.

Capt. Eric T. Goldie; Guard member

Involvement in improprieties: Received $40,500 improperly, according to auditor documents.

Consequences: Recoupment to be determined.

Current role: Transferred to Army Reserves#.

Capt. Teressa R. Vaughn; Recruiter

Involvement in improprieties: Received $81,850 improperly.

Consequences: Flagged*; recoupment of $81,850 in process.

Current role: Part-time Guard member; chaplain candidate.

Command Sgt. Major Bobby L. Rollins; Top noncommissioned officer, Recruiting and Retention Command

Involvement in improprieties: Key leader during widespread fraud; ordered illegal purchase of iPads as gifts, coerced subordinate who resisted, according to official report.

Consequences: Removed from command; flagged*; separated from full-time service; reprimanded^.

Current role: Retired in 2011.

Sgt. Major Kurt R. Muchow; Top noncommissioned officer, Recruiting and Retention Command

Involvement in improprieties: Key leader during widespread fraud; evaluated Master Sgt. Toni L. Jaffe (see below) favorably.

Consequences: Removed from command; reprimanded^.

Current role: Retired in 2011.

Master Sgt. Toni L. Jaffe; Incentive program manager, 1986-2009

Involvement in improprieties: Administered/approved tens of millions of dollars in improper payments.

Consequences: Serving sentence of 30 months in prison; ordered to repay $15.2 million in improperly authorized incentives.

Current role: Retired in 2009.

*Flagged members face investigation for possible wrongdoing or for breaking military rules.

^General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand placed in soldier’s permanent personnel file.

~General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand placed in soldier’s local personnel file for three years.

#Outside of National Guard jurisdiction for penalties.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/investigations/article2580420.html#storylink=cpy

gatorfan

I'm sure some folks knew they were being paid erroneously, others - mostly junior enlisted did not. The guy who instigated the cases of fraud is in prison and owes a huge fine that he will never be able to pay.

The real issue is those who are innocent recipients and who have been struggling with a non-responsive appeal process while having pay garnished, etc. The Pentagon has finally stepped up to the plate to try and solve some of the hardship issues.

"Pentagon Halts Effort To Take Back Signing Bonuses Paid To National Guard Members" October 26, 201611:05 AM ET

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/26/499443646/pentagon-suspends-effort-to-take-back-bonus-money-paid-to-national-guard-members

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

CNN also highlighted this issue:

Carter suspends bonus clawbacks for California National Guard members

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/26/politics/carter-suspends-bonus-clawbacks-california-national-guard-members/index.html

Lame Dork poster Markle slinks away from this thread, since he can no longer use this issue for political purposes. LOL!

Sal

Sal

Republicans in Congress were aware of this situation two years ago and did nothing, leaving it to the Obama administration to save the day.

Thanks, Obama!

Pentagon Demanding Soldiers Return Reenlistment Bonuses . . . President Obama Could Stop This With a Phone Call! Obama-got-this

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:This is deplorable!

Why?

If you got overpaid a real estate commission and the principal wanted the overpayment back.......would you expect the President to sign an executive order?

If a Welfare mother got credit for three children all year long, but an audit indicated it was a mistake and she only had two children......would you expect the President to sign an executive order?

If the Bank took double their fee from your checking account for five years, and you demanded your money back, but the bank wanted an executive order to let them keep your money........would you expect the President to sign an executive order?

You sir are no Republican......just a propagandist for fascism.  Main street Republicans want integrity and accountability of government money.   They should pay back the money, just like you or I have to pay back an IRS error on a too large refund.

Your desperation is duly noted.

NONE of your childish examples come close to the situation in California.

These soldiers all signed a CONTRACT with the government to extend their enlistment for another six years and to go to Afghanistan to fight.

The government reneged.

But I understand you taking such activities by the government with a grain of salt.

After all, you support the Clinton Cabal.

2seaoat

You consider yourself a real estate professional. You should understand elementary contractual tenets. The fact that somebody teaches in a school, operates on a child, rescues a family from a fire, or serves in the military, or plays NBA basketball.......the commission of fraud where one party gets extra contractual compensation means that those funds should be returned. A mercenary military is a contractual military. I would share your concern if suddenly America unilaterally cut military pay by 5%. Such breach of the contract should be reversed. It is a slippery slope when we create a military class which is outside the law......history is strewn with failed democracies who fell into this trap.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:CNN also highlighted this issue:

Carter suspends bonus clawbacks for California National Guard members

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/26/politics/carter-suspends-bonus-clawbacks-california-national-guard-members/index.html

Lame Dork poster Markle slinks away from this thread, since he can no longer use this issue for political purposes. [i]LOL![/size]

Looks more like 2seaoat/BoardsofFl is the one slinking.

After all, Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama made a phone call to Carter and the situation was resolved.

Just as most of America was demanding but the HATERS here, who just hate for the sake of hating, demanded it was not possible to be resolved without congress.

I could put up a post saying that the grass is green, and 2seaoat, BoardsofFl, Wordslinger, you and a few others with instantly call me all sorts of things in spite of my statement being true. 2seaoat/BoardsofFl prove my point here.

2seaoat

Please show me ten threads this last year you started which was not propaganda and Spam. I tried to defend you when you were just a senile Koch brother shill, but when you went fascist and showed your true colors, it became obvious how evil to your core you are. At that point, I started putting the pieces together and like a jig saw puzzle the connection to Ernst became crystal clear, and your years of immoral postings became certain.....you are immoral, and you live in an alternative world which I shudder to imagine. Well hidden, but evil to the core.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:I could put up a post saying that the grass is green, and 2seaoat, BoardsofFl, Wordslinger, you and a few others with instantly call me all sorts of things in spite of my statement being true.

Pentagon Demanding Soldiers Return Reenlistment Bonuses . . . President Obama Could Stop This With a Phone Call! Blah_b12

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:I could put up a post saying that the grass is green, and 2seaoat, BoardsofFl, Wordslinger, you and a few others with instantly call me all sorts of things in spite of my statement being true.

Pentagon Demanding Soldiers Return Reenlistment Bonuses . . . President Obama Could Stop This With a Phone Call! Blah_b12

As I said! Grow up kiddies!

Pentagon Demanding Soldiers Return Reenlistment Bonuses . . . President Obama Could Stop This With a Phone Call! HystericallyLaughingmanandboy

Telstar

Telstar

Pentagon Demanding Soldiers Return Reenlistment Bonuses . . . President Obama Could Stop This With a Phone Call! C2b36a10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum