Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

La Nina May Fuel Most Active Season in 3 Years

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Atlantic hurricane season starts June 1: La Nina may fuel most active season in 3 years
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/atlantic-hurricane-season-forecast-2016-la-nina-above-normal-number-of-storms/57846987

Tropical system may form in eastern Gulf of Mexico next week
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-system-may-form-in-northwestern-caribbean-gulf-of-mexico-cuba-florida-bahamas-on-alert/57824908

Time to test-deploy all of the hurricane shutters, and make sure you have all of the gear associated with them (I found it all and have it in my possession--wifey could not remember where it is).

We had our house hardened by Rebuild Northwest Florida in 2010. We have a Generac generator that tests itself weekly, and in fact, ran for an hour a couple of nights ago during a power failure.

See if any tree branches are danger close and have them trimmed.

Just know your plan and be ready.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I trimmed a pine tree back next to one of our rental homes because it was going to tear the roof up and we just replaced the same two years ago. However, my placing a 50k park model next to a canal with no insurance is a Hurricane magnet, and in light of all the losses we have experienced with natural disasters......I am certain now I will bring bad luck to the Pensacola area, and will get my asz kicked one more time. I watched the insurance meetings on live tv, and they have cleverly started spending more money shifting risk into the reinsurance market which will insulate Florida from a complete collapse if their are multiple cat 3 or higher hurricanes. They have been banking a lot of money.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

And what about flood insurance, you inland dwellers? The torrential rain's of April 2014 proved that properties within Flood Zone X (areas determined to be outside a 500-year floodplain) are vulnerable to severe flooding under the right conditions.

I live about 1 mile from the shore of Perdido Bay (Flood Zone X); however flooding for me, should it come, would come from rain backing-up in my end of the neighborhood, or from overflow from a huge retention pond off of Muldoon Road that sits about a block and a half from my property. Neighborhoods around this pond were flooded in 2014, and the water rose to about 8" in the lowest part of my back yard, from rains within my neighborhood.

I have kept flood insurance on my property from almost the beginning (bought it in 1991). In 2013, we purchased a house directly behind us for an investment, and I purchased flood insurance for this property also. For both properties, it costs me about $1,100 per year. The payments were due in April and May, respectfully, and I made them this year with no hesitation.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

If you know a way to get flood insurance on an RV I would appreciate any input. When I ask I am told NO. I may be asking the wrong people.

2seaoat

Insurance Availability:

Licensed vehicles, campers, and travel trailers are not considered insurable buildings under the NFIP unless they are attached to a permanent foundation.

Well this presents a problem. Most hurricanes can give you three days notice. I can pull some pins on my attached deck to the park model and have put four boat wheeled jacks and three fixed wheels which will allow me to separate the park model and screened in porch. I then can pull the park model to some high ground away from the floodplain, but this all assumes sufficient time to pull a permit for an oversize load from Florida, find an available truck, and finding a place to park the RV for a month as it will take that long to clean up the site mess, as I saw the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan and Dennis on the current RV site. It also involves my wife and I driving almost a thousand miles during that warning period, moving the rv, and then getting the hell out the way of the hurricane for our own personal safety. I am trying to line somebody up to do all this as my condition worsens, but I can only hope that the hurricanes this year will be less than cat 3 and will avoid the Pensacola area.

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:And what about flood insurance, you inland dwellers? The torrential rain's of April 2014 proved that properties within Flood Zone X (areas determined to be outside a 500-year floodplain) are vulnerable to severe flooding under the right conditions.

I live about 1 mile from the shore of Perdido Bay (Flood Zone X); however flooding for me, should it come, would come from rain backing-up in my end of the neighborhood, or from overflow from a huge retention pond off of Muldoon Road that sits about a block and a half from my property. Neighborhoods around this pond were flooded in 2014, and the water rose to about 8" in the lowest part of my back yard, from rains within my neighborhood.

I have kept flood insurance on my property from almost the beginning (bought it in 1991). In 2013, we purchased a house directly behind us for an investment, and I purchased flood insurance for this property also. For both properties, it costs me about $1,100 per year. The payments were due in April and May, respectfully, and I made them this year with no hesitation.

Good for you, we have a view of both the Gulf and the Sound only about 200 yds. from the Gulf . . . . . our premium is $564.00 this year . . . . I do have the original survey/elevation certificate dating back to 1983 and am considered Grandfathered so let us hope we will all have a storm free year and all will be well . . . .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum