Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I just had the most remarkable experience

+5
Sal
2seaoat
RealLindaL
ZVUGKTUBM
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I stopped at Circle K on Bayou Blvd near Cordova Mall to get a few cigars.

Right behind the clerk was a large display of cigars with the price printed on the sign of 2 for 99 cents.
So I told the clerk I wanted two packages of them.

He rung it up and said that will be $3.56.

I said "no, that will be about $2 plus tax (actually $1.98).

He then argued with me. So I said, "pal, 1 plus 1 equals 2, not 3".
He kept arguing with me. Finally I turned to the female clerk on the other register and said to her "maam will you please tell this person that 1 plus 1 equals 2 and not 3?" She agreed with him, saying the machine had to be right and I was wrong.

Finally I said to hell with it.

The moral to this story? These were fully grown adults. Both about 30'ish.
And assuming they both graduated high school, they graduated not knowing how to add 1 plus 1.
And no this is not a racist comment because both were caucasian same as me.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:The moral to this story?  These were fully grown adults.  Both about 30'ish.
And assuming they both graduated high school,  they graduated not knowing how to add 1 plus 1.

They don't teach math anymore, Bob. Not the way you and I had to learn it. My 30 yo daughter has two college degrees, and still does not know her times-table by rote--she has to stop and think about it and often guesses at the answer. Years ago, I was sampling some wells for contaminants with one of my company's engineers, and to sample a well, you first must determine the well volume. You measure the level of the top of the water column, then measure total well depth, subtract to find the length of the water column, then multiply the radius of the well, squared times Pi. The engineer asked me if I had a calculator with me. I said "No" and pulled out a Sharpie pen and did the math on a drum cover in long-hand in about a minute.

I was always poor in math, and made it only through geometry in high school. In junior co9llege, I took 15 hours of math to make up for the HS courses I did not take, and finished through Calculus I. I got "C" grades in each of those classes--fast forward to today, and I am pretty good in math, so somehow it all took.

It is pitiful that youngsters cannot do basic math without an electronic aid, but that is where they are.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Bob wrote:The moral to this story?  These were fully grown adults.  Both about 30'ish.
And assuming they both graduated high school,  they graduated not knowing how to add 1 plus 1.

They don't teach math anymore, Bob. Not the way you and I had to learn it. My 30 yo daughter has two college degrees, and still does not know her times-table by rote--she has to stop and think about it and often guesses at the answer. Years ago, I was sampling some wells for contaminants with one of my company's engineers, and to sample a well, you first must determine the well volume. You measure the level of the top of the water column, then measure total well depth, subtract to find the length of the water column, then multiply the radius of the well, squared times Pi. The engineer asked me if I had a calculator with me. I said "No" and pulled out a Sharpie pen and did the math on a drum cover in long-hand in about a minute.

I was always poor in math, and made it only through geometry in high school. In junior co9llege, I took 15 hours of math to make up for the HS courses I did not take, and finished through Calculus I. I got "C" grades in each of those classes--fast forward to today, and I am pretty good in math, so somehow it all took.

It is pitiful that youngsters cannot do basic math without an electronic aid, but that is where they are.

So true,  Z.  And their defenders might try to argue... "you're just old fashioned,  Bob,  because you don't understand that they don't have any NEED to be able to do arithmetic since they now have machines to do it for them".  

But there's only one big problem with that.  Because since they rely totally on the machines,  when the machines tell them 1 + 1 = 3 they have to believe it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think when the time comes that the modern day Edisons have invented machines as smart as the Terminator, those machines are easily going to be able to enslave the masses of human dumbasses. It'll be a cake walk for the robots. The dumbass humans better hope and pray that a real-life "John Connors" can come along to save them. lol

RealLindaL

Did these people acknowledge the posted price or not?  What I'm thinking is that perhaps the price in the register for that particular SKU did not match what had been posted.  And yeah, clerks will often stand fast by the register price when they should simply say it was the store's error and offer to correct it for you.  Heck, at Publix, if you point out that the price at the register is higher than what's posted at the point of sale or in ads, you get the item free.  I got last Thanksgiving's Butterball turkey breast free for that reason.  Those people at Publix totally understand customer service, which is a big part of why they're so successful.   Apparently Circle K doesn't have a clue about that, nor, I guess, do they know how to hire people with brains.

2seaoat

oh I see.......the first thing I was thinking was folks with poor math skills are non caucasian.......and you think the above is not a racist comment......fifth floor please.

dip chit.....what are you doing still smoking.....have you lost your fricking mind.

2seaoat

My observation after months of absolute shock about how fricking lacking in skills and intelligence of clerks and wait staff in the panhandle is that in the end it is an intelligence factor. I honestly believe that there is an absolute need for immigrants in the panhandle so the inbreeding can stop........it is not simply a failure of the schools, but the need for some new genes in the pool. I mean really.....folks who just got diagnosed with cancer tumors in their lung going out and buying cigars.....no wonder there are so many dumb asz lawyer commercials in the panhandle.....the gene pool needs some immigrants who can raise the IQ level.....oh, I do not mean to be racists with these comments.... No

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:And no this is not a racist comment because both were caucasian same as me.

oh I see.......the first thing I was thinking was folks with poor math skills are non caucasian.......and you think the above is not a racist comment......fifth floor please.

dip chit.....what are you doing still smoking.....have you lost your fricking mind.

Actually,  the only reason I added that last line was for your benefit.  I knew full well that if you read the post you would assume I was talking about people of color so I wanted to cut that off before you said it.  

The truth is that yes I actually am racist.  I'm fully convinced that Asians and hispanics and just about every other group of people is smarter and better educated than the little American punks and bitches coming out of schools in this country.  And that goes for the little white and black American punks and bitches both.

Sal

Sal

Why are you buying cigars, Bob?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:Why are you buying cigars, Bob?

Well it's like this, Sal. The charges of racism and listening to elevator music I can defend against. But I don't really have a defense for smoking cigars so you and seaoat have got me on that one. lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob was going to roll a blunt.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:Bob was going to roll a blunt.

Not yet. But I will be able to shortly...

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/205534-rick-scott-signs-medical-marijuana-expansion-bill-law

Hallmarkgard

The cops tell us how good a job they are doing keeping drugs off the street but go in any convenience store and you will see racks and racks of rolling papers, blunt cigars, heavy duty crack lighters and any think else you need to use drug.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

What happened to the spelling of your name?

I just had the most remarkable experience Hallma10

Hallmarkgard

It has been that way for a long time.. I misspelled it when I registered. lol good catch Very Happy

Vikingwoman

Bob wrote:I stopped at Circle K on Bayou Blvd near Cordova Mall to get a few cigars.

Right behind the clerk was a large display of cigars with the price printed on the sign of 2 for 99 cents.
So I told the clerk I wanted two packages of them.

He rung it up and said that will be $3.56.

I said "no,  that will be about $2 plus tax (actually $1.98).

He then argued with me.  So I said,  "pal,  1 plus 1 equals 2,  not 3".
He kept arguing with me.  Finally I turned to the female clerk on the other register and said to her "maam will you please tell this person that 1 plus 1 equals 2 and not 3?"  She agreed with him,  saying the machine had to be right and I was wrong.

Finally I said to hell with it.

The moral to this story?  These were fully grown adults.  Both about 30'ish.

2 for .99 means the cigars were 50 cents- not $1.

RealLindaL

Vikingwoman wrote:2 for .99 means the cigars were 50 cents- not $1.

I presumed Bob meant $.99 was the price per package (maybe a two-pack?), not per cigar  -- though that wasn't really clear to me, either; I just speculated so the story would make a little better sense.  Maybe Bob will straighten us out on this very important issue.   lol   Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just had the most remarkable experience Ceegar10

+

I just had the most remarkable experience Ceegar10

So if we round 99 cents to become one dollar,  1 dollar + 1 dollar = 2 dollars (plus tax).

I just had the most remarkable experience 1i1daje2

NOT  $3.56
 And that's EVEN IF a machine tells you it's $3.56.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/28/a-few-math-questions-that-us-college-students-cant-answer/

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:NOT  $3.56.  And that's EVEN IF a machine tells you it's $3.56.

Bob, you do understand I was wondering if the Circle K database simply had the wrong unit price for this SKU in the system, right?   That, of course, presumes an SKU was entered at all, either via scan or manual entry.

I even checked to see if they considered this a quantity of four (which would've been completely incorrect too, of course, proving they can't read their own packaging), but that comes out to $3.96 (not $3.56), plus any applicable taxes.  

In any event, obviously, the staff forgot that the customer is always right.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The package itself says 99 cents. I bought two packages. That's 99 cents time 2 (plus tax).

There is no arithmetic in the world, and that includes clerk arithmetic, machine arithmetic, SKU arithmetic, Circle K arithmetic, Bayou Blvd arithmetic, liberal arithmetic, conservative arithmetic, democrat arithmetic, republican arithmetic, white arithmetic, black arithmetic, muslim arithmetic, homosexual arithmetic or any other arithmetic to support the notion that 99 cents times two plus tax equals $3.56.

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:The package itself says 99 cents.  I bought two packages.  That's 99 cents time 2 (plus tax).

There is no arithmetic in the world,  and that includes clerk arithmetic, machine arithmetic,  SKU arithmetic,  Circle K arithmetic,  Bayou Blvd arithmetic,  liberal arithmetic,  conservative arithmetic,  democrat arithmetic,  republican arithmetic,  white arithmetic,  black arithmetic,  muslim arithmetic,  homosexual arithmetic or any other arithmetic to support the notion that 99 cents times two plus tax equals $3.56.  

OH LOOK, BOB, I'M TALKING ABOUT A POSSIBLE PRICING SYSTEM RESIDENT IN THEIR ELECTRONIC CASH REGISTER SYSTEM THAT MIGHT CONTAIN A DATABASE OF ALL STORE ITEMS AND THEIR PRICES, JUST AS IS THE CASE AT THE GROCERY STORE.  DO YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT? YOUR GROCERY STORE CLERK SCANS AN ITEM AND THE PRICE POPS UP ON THE SCREEN?  SO I'M SAYING THAT MAYBE THE FACT THAT THE ADVERTISED PACKAGE PRICE DIFFERED FROM WHAT WAS CHARGED COULD'VE BEEN DUE TO A SIMPLE DATA ENTRY PROBLEM ON THE SYSTEM; I.E., THAT THE CLERK WAS RELYING ON THE SYSTEM TO AUTOMATICALLY PRICE THE ITEM, INSTEAD OF THEIR ENTERING THE PRICE MANUALLY THEMSELVES AT THE REGISTER, AND THAT THE WRONG PRICE POPPED UP BECAUSE SOMEONE AT CORPORATE (OR WHEREVER) HAD ENTERED IT WRONG OR IT HADN'T BEEN UPDATED OR WHATEVER.

But look, let's just forget it.   I'm obviously spittin' in the wind here.   I was simply trying to find some rational explanation for the irrational (and/or stupid) behavior of the clerks.

Sal

Sal

Prices printed on packaging are normally MSRPs, and the retailers are free to charge what they want for the item, although most businesses price items at or below MSRP.

RealLindaL

Salinsky wrote:Prices printed on packaging are normally MSRPs, and the retailers are free to charge what they want for the item, although most businesses price items at or below MSRP.

That's right Sal, and that's why I termed it a possible ERROR.   Still, I go back to previous posts and reiterate these dummies should've realized they had an unhappy customer (rightfully so) and apologized and charged him the package price, period the end.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Obviously what occurred is what you said,  Linda.  It was an error in the pricing databank.  
And this of course has happened to me before in other stores.  Not very often but I have experienced it before.   And on each occasion,  when I pointed it out to the clerk or cashier,  and then after doing 1 plus 1 equals 2 in their heads,  they ALWAYS say "sorry sir,  you're correct the price is wrong,  I'll ring up it up manually for you (or words to that effect)".  And then they do just that.

However, in this case,  this moron really did not understand that 99 cents times 2 plus tax could not possibly be a figure over $3.  Why?  Because all he had to go on to know what 1 + 1 is was what the register was telling him.  
That was the point.

And to Sal.  I have never been in a Circle K or Tom Thumb or Raceway or any other chain convenience store ever before and found they had priced anything with the price printed on the package,  and in a big display which also has the price printed on it,  and they tell me the "actual" price is higher.
They don't do that because giant corporations value public relations.  And to pull a bait and switch like that would be a dealkiller for most customers including me and they know it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum