Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

U.S. Budget Deficit Ends Year at Lowest Level Since 2007

+3
boards of FL
2seaoat
knothead
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Markle

Markle

[quote="colaguy"]
boards of FL wrote:
And, yet, that occurs twice in your deficit/surplus graph.

Certainly, I get that a (new) president may be limited in his ability to make changes in the fiscal policies of the country. I get that a lot of that is up to the Congress.  I don't get your statement "a government structured to produce a $1 trillion deficit". A budget is structured to make use of the revenue it expects to receive. The Congress doesn't intentionally say "we expect to receive $2T in revenue, but we're budgeting to spend $2.5T".

Your hypothetical comparison question seems to me to be trying to place blame on certain presidents.  I couldn't care less who is behind the ever increasing Debt - I place blame all around - the presidents (dem and repub) the entire Congress.  What I'd like to see is a responsible Congress.  There have been plenty of learned people and articles decrying the huge Debt we are under, and what the consequences will be if it is not controlled, and eventually reversed.  But the GD Congress turns a deaf ear. Like most other matters of importance they kick the can down the road.  Let future congressmen tackle it; let future generations pay for it.  I am looking for a time when somehow the Congress gets it - we are getting in over our head - and becomes urgent about slowing and reversing this beast. It's apparent that the majority of ordinary Americans won't get up in arms. I fear it will take events, such as those that happened in Greece or Portugal, before we collectively sit up and say enough.

My primary reason to engage in this discussion is that I am tired of some folks not getting the difference in a deficit and the debt.  I believe you get it.  

The White House plays on the fact that the majority of Americans don't have a clue as to the difference between Deficit and Debt. Pathetic but true. Today a survey came out where TEN PERCENT of COLLEGE GRADUATES believe that Judge Judy is on the SUPREME COURT.

Imagine semi-retired President Obama "boasting" at the State of the Union speech that he had increased the DEBT of the Nation to $18.9 TRILLION from $10.6 TRILLION. The largest increase in our countries history!

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/budget-deficit-tax-package-217966

Cbo projects 24% increase for deficit... to 544B.

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum