Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

U.S. Budget Deficit Ends Year at Lowest Level Since 2007

+3
boards of FL
2seaoat
knothead
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

knothead

knothead

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-budget-deficit-ends-year-at-lowest-level-since-2007-1452711602

The U.S. budget deficit ended last year at its lowest level since 2007, marking the sixth straight annual drop. But the declines may not last without a pickup in economic growth.

2seaoat

Mr Markle is going to have a fit.........President Obama has accomplished another stunning goal.

The debt was 10.5 TRILLION when obama took office... and will likely be 20 TRILLION by the time he leaves office.

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:The debt was 10.5 TRILLION when obama took office... and will likely be 20 TRILLION by the time he leaves office.

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

But you lack the capacity to acknowledge that this reduction in our deficit is at a minimum progress? Stunning . . . . a thousand mile journey begins with a single step!

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:The debt was 10.5 TRILLION when obama took office... and will likely be 20 TRILLION by the time he leaves office.

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

My response to your same complaint yesterday.  

Everyone note how republicans...err....high school libertarians aren't capable of engaging.  They're only capable of repeating things they have been told and then running off to the next thread where they can continue that process.

And there is no need to take my word for this. Just watch.  

boards of FL wrote:Yes, because Obama inherited a $1.4 trillion deficit.  How many times must this be explained to you?  It doesn't matter who entered the white house in 2009; debt was necessarily going to skyrocket because we 1) cut taxes three times, 2) started two wars, 3) implemented a medicare prescription drug plan and then 4) the Great Recession came along.  These increases in spending, decreases in tax rates, and shitty economy all combined to produce the $1.4 trillion dollar deficit that Obama inherited.  Being it the case that debt is a function of annual deficits, of course debt increased.  It's not as if any politician can erase a $1.4 trillion dollar deficit overnight without there being dire economic consequences.  And it's amazing that this need be explained to anyone who graduated high school, which leads me to question your academic background.

2seaoat

It is stunning. From the flames of the Republican trickle down supply side economics and Neocon policies which demand that the special interests steal America, America has emerged with nearly a balanced budget under the patient intelligent leadership of a great man who facing all the hate and resistance that Jackie Robinson faced as Major league baseball had a man of color not only play the game but excel and go to the hall of fame........The President's stats speak as clearly as Jackie Robinson's stats, and those folks who were raised in a world where a black man was an inferior creature who could never challenge white privilege.....well that paradigm exploded with Jackie Robinson, and except for those so smothered in white privilege as an institution, history will judge what the President has accomplished in economics as one of the most important Presidents in the last century.

http://www.realitybytes-blog.dreamhosters.com/2014/12/27/a-better-annotated-sectoral-balances-graph/

2seaoat

Pk goes to blogs for understanding. This is who he linked us:

Who am I? I’m an electronics designer, an artist, and a freenode channel op with a deep fascination with economics and our crazy political scene.

a person with No economic training or understanding who has a deep fascination with economics. When you do not even recognize that economics is a scientific study of the same which is NOT conducted by those who have a deep fascination, but who have studied for decades the cumulative science and knowledge of how economies work.......yet he comments here with all his background noise about why he does not like a black man in the white house and attempts to allow us to take him seriously in an intelligent conversation by linking this author who has a deep fascination.....keep it real.

Economics today is a science? Lol... you keep it real.

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:And there is no need to take my word for this.  Just watch.

And there we have it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-budget-deficit-ends-year-at-lowest-level-since-2007-1452711602

The U.S. budget deficit ended last year at its lowest level since 2007, marking the sixth straight annual drop. But the declines may not last without a pickup in economic growth.

I can't read the article without subscribing.  But the lead up to the article says "But the declines may not last without a pickup in economic growth."

We're borrowing $400 billion every year.  But declining economic growth would make that turn around.  And to who knows what figure.
And that decline in economic growth is becoming a very scary reality.  Worldwide.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
knothead wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-budget-deficit-ends-year-at-lowest-level-since-2007-1452711602

I can't read the article without subscribing.  But the lead up to the article says "But the declines may not last without a pickup in economic growth."

We're borrowing $400 billion every year.  But declining economic growth would make that turn around.  And to who knows what figure.
And that decline in economic growth is becoming a very scary reality.  Worldwide.

We could add the same caveat to any story.

"And the Bureau of Labor and Statistics released their employment situation report for December 2015 today.  December was a solid month for job growth, as 292,000 jobs were added to the economy and the unemployment rate held at 5.0% - which is a level that many economists would consider to be full employment.  This caps a five year run of solid job growth that has seen the unemployment rate cut in half and roughly 14 million jobs added to the economy.

But...if everything were to go to shit really quickly these numbers could explode in the wrong direction!  That's right!  What if the global economy melts, huh!? Huh!? What do you think will happen to these numbers then!?!?! Huh!?!? Well?!?!  Yes, that's right!   Doom could very well await you!!!! Ignore these numbers!!!  Everything could change tomorrow!!! EVERYTHING COULD CHANGE!!! BE AFRAID!!!

Alas, if only Rupert Murdoch owned all media outlets.  Then we could get some real reporting, such as what I just described.

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:

Please note Bob that I did not redact that last sentence but that does not change the trajectory of our declining deficit during Obama's presidency. Will it improve or degrade? I have no crystal ball but we all would like to see these deficits disappear entirely.

Markle

Markle

What fun!

Budget...paper figure semi-retired President Obama raised to $1.3 TRILLION and then takes credit to lowering it to the level of the Bush Administration.

WOW, I'm impressed!

Meanwhile...the DEBT, REAL DOLLARS has increased from $10.6 TRILLION to $18.9 TRILLION!

Progressives are like the shyster tire dealer.  They raise the price of their $100.00 tire to $200.00.  A month later they have a huge HALF OFF SALE and sell the tires for $100.00 again.

Nuff said!

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:What fun!

Budget...paper figure semi-retired President Obama raised to $1.3 TRILLION and then takes credit to lowering it to the level of the Bush Administration.

WOW, I'm impressed!

Meanwhile...the DEBT, REAL DOLLARS has increased from $10.6 TRILLION to $18.9 TRILLION!

Progressives are like the shyster tire dealer.  They raise the price of their $100.00 tire to $200.00.  A month later they have a huge HALF OFF SALE and sell the tires for $100.00 again.

Nuff said!

boards of FL wrote:Yes, because Obama inherited a $1.4 trillion deficit.  How many times must this be explained to you?  It doesn't matter who entered the white house in 2009; debt was necessarily going to skyrocket because we 1) cut taxes three times, 2) started two wars, 3) implemented a medicare prescription drug plan and then 4) the Great Recession came along.  These increases in spending, decreases in tax rates, and shitty economy all combined to produce the $1.4 trillion dollar deficit that Obama inherited.  Being it the case that debt is a function of annual deficits, of course debt increased.  It's not as if any politician can erase a $1.4 trillion dollar deficit overnight without there being dire economic consequences.  And it's amazing that this need be explained to anyone who graduated high school, which leads me to question your academic background.

boards of FL wrote:

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

Everyone note how republicans...err....high school libertarians aren't capable of engaging.  They're only capable of repeating things they have been told and then running off to the next thread where they can continue that process.

And there is no need to take my word for this.  Just watch.  

Actually, it does matter who was elected to the presidency.  Someone who was intent on fiscal responsibility could have endeavored, cajoling the Congress, to reduce the size of the DEBT.  Yes, it would take some doing, and yes, it would cause some pain.  But do not think that it was INEVITABLE that the DEBT would increase to the size it is now.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

But you lack the capacity to acknowledge that this reduction in our deficit is at a minimum progress? Stunning . . . . a thousand mile journey begins with a single step!

Yes, STUNNING. However in this case, the thousand mile journey ($18.9 TRILLION) is still flying backwards at a rate Progressives called outrageous and irresponsible when announced by former President Bush.

Is that true or false?

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

Yes, STUNNING.  However in this case, the thousand mile journey ($18.9 TRILLION) is still flying backwards at a rate Progressives called outrageous and irresponsible when announced by former President Bush.

Is that true or false?

So you do acknowledge that it is, in fact, progress? That is the question.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:What fun!

WOW, I'm impressed!

Nuff said!

You pathetic loser. How can you possibly do this day after day? It must be grueling. You should probably take a break. Any fool could see that the majority of the national debt is due to the reckless policies of the Bush administration. There have been numerous charts and graphs posted here which support those facts. That you could continue to lie day after day for years with no qualms qualifies you as a certifiable psychopath.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

Yes, STUNNING.  However in this case, the thousand mile journey ($18.9 TRILLION) is still flying backwards at a rate Progressives called outrageous and irresponsible when announced by former President Bush.

Is that true or false?

So you do acknowledge that it is, in fact, progress? That is the question.

Not at all surprising that you consider going backwards, getting deeper and deeper into debt...is progress....

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

Actually, it does matter who was elected to the presidency.  Someone who was intent on fiscal responsibility could have endeavored, cajoling the Congress, to reduce the size of the DEBT.  Yes, it would take some doing, and yes, it would cause some pain.  But do not think that it was INEVITABLE that the DEBT would increase to the size it is now.

So I have to ask, when you say "reduce the size of DEBT", how do you propose doing that? I ask, because in my mind, that would involve steady reductions in the deficit until we eventually reach a surplus. Once we have a government structured to yield a budget surplus, we will then begin to reduce our debt.

So that is my interpretation of how to reduce debt. Clearly, yours differs from that. Can you explain yours?

boards of FL wrote:
colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

So I have to ask, when you say "reduce the size of DEBT", how do you propose doing that?  I ask, because in my mind, that would involve steady reductions in the deficit until we eventually reach a surplus.  Once we have a government structured to yield a budget surplus, we will then begin to reduce our debt.

So that is my interpretation of how to reduce debt.  Clearly, yours differs from that.  Can you explain yours?

Our interpretations are not that different.
The deficit occurs only annually, the debt is the nation's "running tally".

If, in any given fiscal year, we set a budget and keep to that budget - meaning we didn't spend more than we took in - then there is no deficit for that year.  That, however, does nothing to reduce the accumulated debt.  In order to reduce the debt, we (Congress) have to intentionally budget less.  That means, for example, if we have revenues of $2T, the approved budget might be set at, say, $1.5T.  The difference in what spend vs what we take in, can be "applied" to the debt.  In this example a $500B reduction.

I like to look at it as a household would. We earn (take in) $100K per year. If, in that year, we spend $105K, by using our Visa, we end the year with a deficit of $5K. The next year we earn $100K.  Since we still owe Visa that $5K we need to spend only $95K, so that the remaining $5K can be paid to Visa. At the end of the 2nd year we have no deficit and no debt.  Very simplified - but it can work similarly with the massive National Debt too.

Sal

Sal

colaguy wrote:

I like to look at it as a household would...

Oh, for fuck's sake ....

U.S. Budget Deficit Ends Year at Lowest Level Since 2007 452620c767366798d3

boards of FL

boards of FL

colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
colaguy wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

A STUNNING SUCCESS..!!

So I have to ask, when you say "reduce the size of DEBT", how do you propose doing that?  I ask, because in my mind, that would involve steady reductions in the deficit until we eventually reach a surplus.  Once we have a government structured to yield a budget surplus, we will then begin to reduce our debt.

So that is my interpretation of how to reduce debt.  Clearly, yours differs from that.  Can you explain yours?

Our interpretations are not that different.
The deficit occurs only annually, the debt is the nation's "running tally".

If, in any given fiscal year, we set a budget and keep to that budget - meaning we didn't spend more than we took in - then there is no deficit for that year.  That, however, does nothing to reduce the accumulated debt.  In order to reduce the debt, we (Congress) have to intentionally budget less.  That means, for example, if we have revenues of $2T, the approved budget might be set at, say, $1.5T.  The difference in what spend vs what we take in, can be "applied" to the debt.  In this example a $500B reduction.

I like to look at it as a household would. We earn (take in) $100K per year. If, in that year, we spend $105K, by using our Visa, we end the year with a deficit of $5K. The next year we earn $100K.  Since we still owe Visa that $5K we need to spend only $95K, so that the remaining $5K can be paid to Visa. At the end of the 2nd year we have no deficit and no debt.  Very simplified - but it can work similarly with the massive National Debt too.

OK.  So we at least agree on where debt comes from.  

In my view, if we have a government structured to yield a deficit of $1.4 trillion dollars, we can't necessarily erase that entirely in one year, or even in two years, or even in three years, or even in four years, particularly given the context in which these numbers emerge (Multiple wars, worst recession since the great depression, etc.).  We can't simply erase all of that overnight.

Now, clearly you disagree.  So what is your view on a reasonable time frame in which to erase a $1.4 trillion dollar deficit?  Could Obama have managed to do that with his first budget in 2010?  If not, when?

The following chart shows us deficit/surplus by year.  I have color coded this to reflect the party of each budget.  What you are effectively saying here when you complain about debt added during the Obama administration is that what we're seeing happen from 2010 to present - the blue bars that exhibit a clear and sharp downward trend towards a balanced budget - is bad.  That is what you're saying.  And your reasoning there is because debt increased during that time.  Am I understanding you correctly?  

U.S. Budget Deficit Ends Year at Lowest Level Since 2007 WYyks5M

Sal

Sal

I would agree that the level of debt increases we've been experiencing are unsustainable over the long term.

But, the brakes must be applied thoughtfully and with great care to prevent unnecessary harm to the economy.

I think that's what we're seeing with the graph Boards posted.

That having been said, the U.S. government budgetary concerns are not the same as the management of a household budget.

They behave quite differently, and history has shown that steep and sudden reductions of debt are precursors of disaster for the economy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum