Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Natural born citizen probably will have to be defined specifically by Supremes

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I heard a very lucid discussion of why the Supreme Court needs to address this and soon. The author who about 10 years ago did a Harvard Law Review 90 page scholarly review of the intent of our founding father raised more important questions which could prove a problem if this country was faced with a catastrophic attack where the chain of succession might have somebody like Kissinger or Albright who clearly were not born in America assuming the Presidency under one standard of succession, but clearly are unqualified by our understanding of the constitutional prohibition.

I think there will be challenges to Cruz, but it actually might have to be a candidate who brings the suit because of the very specific requirements of standing which might have an ordinary citizen bringing suit not meeting the requirements of standing. I was wrong before. I think Cruz could be negatively impacted by this issue.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Birtherism is back

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/politics/ted-cruz-birthplace-donald-trump/index.html

Washington (CNN)—Donald Trump escalated his attack against Ted Cruz on Wednesday while the Texas senator sought to move past the hits and maintain his status as the favorite to win the Iowa caucuses.

In separate interviews with CNN, Trump and Cruz squared off over the businessman's comments -- reported Tuesday in The Washington Post -- that the senator's birth in Canada could pose a "big problem." Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that Cruz, whose mother was a U.S. citizen, should go to court and ask a judge to rule that he's eligible to run for president.

"How do you run against the Democrat, whoever it may be, and you have this hanging over your head if they bring a lawsuit?" Trump said in an interview that aired on "The Situation Room."

Trump said Cruz should to ask a judge for a "declaratory judgment" that Trump said would protect Cruz against any future questions about his eligibility that could come in a general election.

He also claimed that it was The Washington Post -- not him -- that raised the issue.......

What goes around comes around. The most ardent wingnuts--including our former poster PeeDog/Obamasucks--continue to maintain that Barrack Obama is an illegitimate president, because they cling to the unproven notion that he was born in Kenya.

Well, wingnuts--that same premise applies to Senator Cruz, who was TRULY born outside the borders of the United States. Of course, since Obamasucks is ideologycally aligned with Cruz, he defended his candidacy.

This issue is yet another thing that will dog the Republican quest to get the Whitehouse back in 2016. What else can the GOP do to kill their chances? Try to repeal the ACA one more time?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

At this point I think that Trump is right that Cruz could ask for a direct and immediate hearing on this issue by his petition for a declaratory judgment, and the Supreme Court would grant Cert, but it would not be resolved for some of the early primaries, but it could boost Cruz on Super Tuesday if he took the initiative. This is important not because of running for president, but the possibility of an unqualified person being in the chain of succession, and leaving this country in a lurch.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

This is all such a bunch of nonsense and a huge distraction.

I'm quite certain if it ever came down to a SCOTUS ruling they would rule essentially that if one acquired their US Citizenship at birth then they are a "natural born citizen" ... regardless of place of birth.  

This would include "derivative" US citizens .... those born abroad who obtained their citizenship by virtue of having one or both USC parents (as did my own wife.)   But not naturalized citizens who obtained their US citizenship via the legislated immigration and naturalization processes.

As to all of the current media created hullabaloo about this, well, hey ... anything that hurts Ted Cruz's chances in the primary is fine by me.

2seaoat

I would have agreed with you a few days ago, but I think the Supreme Court is going to grant Cert on this on a direct declaratory to the court. The courts do not answer political issues in Court(theoretically), but when this issue is raised as a succession issue of what a natural born citizen is......the time frame in an emergency is not the same as the election. The only question is who will frame the application for cert which allows proper standing, this issue is not done. Cruz will be hurt somewhere down the road on this issue.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

If it came down to it Cruz would be ruled a "natural born citizen" as he acquired his citizenship by virtue of his birth to a US Citizen parent.

Our current President would as well as he was both born in Hawaii (so far as we know) & born to a US Citizen mother and father (Frank Marshall Davis)

Natural born citizen probably will have to be defined specifically by Supremes Frank-marshall-davis-montage

Natural born citizen probably will have to be defined specifically by Supremes 20081022obama2-275x165

Natural born citizen probably will have to be defined specifically by Supremes Obamas-mamma-830x602

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum