Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mitt Romney's Mom Says his Dad was on Welfare

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

knothead

knothead

Is this fun or what? OMG is all I can say . . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPZPaysBTqk

Where are all the Romney cheerleaders?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I dunno, knothead. This video was linked on that same page.
According to Chuck Norris, if Obama wins it will mean "1000 years of Darkness".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPZPaysBTqk

although I'm not sure if Obama's "darkness" can last that long. I'd bet that in four years, light colored skin will take the country back from his "darkness". lol

Nekochan

Nekochan

Did he stay on welfare? Make welfare a lifestyle for his family?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:Did he stay on welfare? Make welfare a lifestyle for his family?
No he didn't. But does everyone in that "47%" Mitt refers to stay on welfare either?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
No he didn't. But does everyone in that "47%" Mitt refers to stay on welfare either?

I think he was talking about people who make it a lifestyle, according to the audio that I heard.

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:

That is whole point to government providing a safety net so people can pick themselves up and get back on track. I am as offended as anyone who games the system but many need a hand up at one time or another be it education, health, food, etc. I want an America that has a conscious but with rules to prevent abuse.

knothead

knothead

Nekochan wrote:
Bob wrote:

I think he was talking about people who make it a lifestyle, according to the audio that I heard.

neko, I didn't hear him make a distinction but even if so, those who make it a lifestyle are an infinitesimal group when viewed as a whole. He advocates throwing the baby out with the bathwater and that world view translates into favorable tax policy for those like him and unfavorable for the middle class.
Lastly, his own family needed assistance and yes he obviously did very very well which proves my point. The safety net is important and this guy could not give a rip.

Last edited by knothead on 9/19/2012, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

Knot, people who believe that they are entitled to everything for free don't want a temporary safety net. They want life long care from the government. That's different than a helping hand.

***the distinction, to me, is the 'entitlement' attitude that Romney spoke about. Those who want to take care of themselves and their families are the last to ask for help and they will work hard to get off the help.

knothead

knothead

Nekochan wrote:Knot, people who believe that they are entitled to everything for free don't want a temporary safety net. They want life long care from the government. That's different than a helping hand.

***the distinction, to me, is the 'entitlement' attitude that Romney spoke about. Those who want to take care of themselves and their families are the last to ask for help and they will work hard to get off the help.

I agree with that premise but if one listens to the hate radio mongers one would believe that it is a rampant majority and I, like you, am opposed to that behavior. HIS family needed help and they got it . . .

Nekochan

Nekochan

knothead wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Knot, people who believe that they are entitled to everything for free don't want a temporary safety net. They want life long care from the government. That's different than a helping hand.

I agree with that premise but if one listens to the hate radio mongers one would believe that it is a rampant majority and I, like you, am opposed to that behavior. HIS family needed help and they got it . . .

I don't know about it being a majority but I think it's a significant percentage. And not just food stamps, etc. Hallmark posted last week about hearing two people at the VA hospital talking about how to lie to get aid from the VA. There are people out there who make this their lifestyle and it hurts those who are really in need.

No, he became the Gov. of Massachusetts.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dreamsglore wrote:

Make that Governor of Michigan. His son Mitt became Governor of Mass.

There is no long term care anymore,Neko. That went out in 1995 w/ the Welfare Reform Act. Two years of aid and 5 yrs.total lifetime.

knothead

knothead

Dreamsglore wrote:

LOL

knothead

knothead

Nekochan wrote:
knothead wrote:

I don't know about it being a majority but I think it's a significant percentage. And not just food stamps, etc. Hallmark posted last week about hearing two people at the VA hospital talking about how to lie to get aid from the VA. There are people out there who make this their lifestyle and it hurts those who are really in need.

If it were your call, how would you weed out these perpetrators? You are boxing with a shadow here . . . . a demon with no face . . . . Romney nor Congress would address that. Talk about a manipulative society you would have some huge challenges, so what do you recommend?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:
Bob wrote:

You are so obviously concerned with distancing yourself from those "lazy bums" on welfare that it's comical. Yes, Neko, he was only looking down on roughly half the population, who think they have a right to FOOD...in America...what are these people thinking?

Bob wrote:

Welfare people are not taxed.They don't have earned income so the people Romney is talking about are the working poor.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:

There is no long term care anymore,Neko. That went out in 1995 w/ the Welfare Reform Act. Two years of aid and 5 yrs.total lifetime.

There are people who live off of food stamps, "disability", etc for most of their lives who are able bodied and could work.

Nekochan

Nekochan

knothead wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
knothead wrote:

If it were your call, how would you weed out these perpetrators? You are boxing with a shadow here . . . . a demon with no face . . . . Romney nor Congress would address that. Talk about a manipulative society you would have some huge challenges, so what do you recommend?

Honestly, I don't know how it should be handled. I don't know how to stop it, or at least reduce it. But I know that some people are pros at working the system from fraudulently getting VA benefits (like Hallmark was talking about) to food stamps, to Medicaid, to Social Security disability and other freebies from taxpayers.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Bob wrote:

You are so obviously concerned with distancing yourself from those "lazy bums" on welfare that it's comical. Yes, Neko, he was only looking down on roughly half the population, who think they have a right to FOOD...in America...what are these people thinking?

A right to FOOD? You think food should be free?

knothead

knothead

OK here it is from the Tax Policy Center on the breakdown of Who Doesn't Pay Taxes:

PAY INCOME TAX 53.6%

DO NOT PAY INCOME TAX 28.3%
(But pay Payroll Tax)

ELDERLY 10.3%
(Do not pay income tax)

Non-Elderly, income under 6.9%
$20,000

Others 1.0%

This is hardly a case of freeloaders gaming the system.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Nearly 40% who are not elderly pay nothing in federal income tax. You think this is insignificant?

knothead

knothead

Significant? Of course but as the statistics reveal 28.3% are working citizens who would be classified as the working poor. Paycheck to paycheck. They nevertheless are working but do not earn enough to pay federal income tax.

Here are some interesting tidbits to add to this conversation.
From the Citizens For Tax Justice:

TAX SHARE VS. INCOME SHARE

LOWEST 20% - EARN 3.4% INCOME PAY 2.1% COMBINED FED./STATE/LOCAL TAX

2ND 20% - EARN 7.0% INCOME - PAY 5.3% FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL TAX

MIDDLE 20% - EARN 11.4% INCOME - PAY10.3% FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL TX

FOURTH 20% - EARN 18.7% INCOME - PAY 19.0% FED/STATE/LOCAL TAX

NEXT 20% - EARN 14.2% INCOME - PAY 15.0% FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL TAX

TOP 1% - EARN 21.0% INCOME - PAY 21.6% FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL TAX

Nekochan

Nekochan

The percentage of state and local tax is going to vary, greatly, though. And isn't an issue the President has any control over.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum