Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline

+6
Floridatexan
gatorfan
EmeraldGhost
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Sal
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

If/when oil goes back up it would pay off for private companies to have built it ahead of time with cheap energy.

Rail is worse than pipeline in every way... except for buffett's bottom line.

knothead

knothead

I weighed in on this issue months ago when it began to become a political topic. I was opposed to it then and I think the President did the right thing by denying it. I concede the horrible safety record in rail transport but the remaining elements more than offset those counter arguments. This is a very unique request in that the Canadian government advocated for this PROJECT which traditionally would be the role of TransCanada; governments traditionally advocate for policy in lieu of projects (this is my first red flag). The facts remain that it is NOT a job creator rather it is a job destroyer when you consider the loss of the truck drivers and the railroad workers who make a good living. As we all recall one of the talking points by the advocates was the creation of jobs but after closer scrutiny we see that this was an illusion (my 2nd red flag). The jobs created by approving the project are all temporary lasting approximately two years. Add to this the highly toxic material goes to Port Arthur where it will be refined and sold on the world market with no obligation whatsoever of retaining in the USA (third red flag). Port Arthur, as the designated destination, would be a tax free zone for TransCanada therefore no proceeds of this endeavor would be realized for Texas or the US government for the privilege of pumping toxic material across our nation with its attendant risks with no benefit whatsoever. President Obama, whether for political reasoning or not, did the right thing and I applaud his decision. Remember . . . . the material will continue to be transported and whatever America stands to gain will continue and those thousands of truck drivers and rail workers will continue to earn a good living . . . . good decision!!!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:I weighed in on this issue months ago when it began to become a political topic.  I was opposed to it then and I think the President did the right thing by denying it.  I concede the horrible safety record in rail transport but the remaining elements more than offset those counter arguments.  This is a very unique request in that the Canadian government advocated for this PROJECT which traditionally would be the role of TransCanada; governments traditionally advocate for policy in lieu of projects (this is my first red flag).  The facts remain that it is NOT a job creator rather it is a job destroyer when you consider the loss of the truck drivers and the railroad workers who make a good living.  As we all recall one of the talking points by the advocates was the creation of jobs but after closer scrutiny we see that this was an illusion (my 2nd red flag).  The jobs created by approving the project are all temporary lasting approximately two years.  Add to this the highly toxic material goes to Port Arthur where it will be refined and sold on the world market with no obligation whatsoever of retaining in the USA (third red flag).  Port Arthur, as the designated destination, would be a tax free zone for TransCanada therefore no proceeds of this endeavor would be realized for Texas or the US government for the privilege of pumping toxic material across our nation with its attendant risks with no benefit whatsoever.  President Obama, whether for political reasoning or not, did the right thing and I applaud his decision.  Remember . . . . the material will continue to be transported and whatever America stands to gain will continue and those thousands of truck drivers and rail workers will continue to earn a good living . . . . good decision!!!      

About half of the oil imported from Canada is consumed as refined products in the United States. In 2014, the U.S. imported 9 million barrels per day from many different sources, our largest supplier being Canada (about half of all of our imported petroleum). We refined all of that oil and then exported about 4 million barrels as gasoline, etc. The other 5 million barrels were used here. So, yes, you are driving cars powered by gasoline derived from tar sands oil.

The bottom line is that the U.S. is not energy independent and does still rely on imports to make-up for what we cannot produce at home.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Everyone is missing the real issue here.

We need to invest heavily in interstate horse and buggy infrastructure. Just imagine all of the jobs!

Not the best analogy. The first leg of the keystone goes to Illinois refineries. I saw it being installed. I know who worked at the old ENRON plant which has changed owners which were cracking plastics off the natural gas and oil lines. The price of Midwest oil refined at these factories allowed Midwest gas to be two cents a gallon less over the last five years. Illinois and Indiana have some of the largest refining capacity in the nation and the canadian oil has helped the same. I am all for renewable energy and Illinois and Indiana cornfields are filled and growing with wind power, nuclear and great solar credits, but it is simply naive to think that the horse and buggy business overnight was gone. I was growing up in the fifties with a harness shop which every Saturday was filled with farmers who still used horses on some of their fields and tractors......the transition will never eliminate hydrocarbons from our industries, but we can certainly lower carbon pollution. This is a bad decision. If the locals do not want it, that is fine with me. However, when rail transport increases, safety drops and my horror story of the ethanol spill and its impact on the environment makes it certain in my mind that this is not a zero sum game as some environmentalist have made it. Pipelines are safer. Period. I never want to see something like I saw six years ago in the largest fish kill in Illinois history because of a poorly maintained rail line.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Everyone is missing the real issue here.

We need to invest heavily in interstate horse and buggy infrastructure. Just imagine all of the jobs!

Not the best analogy.  The first leg of the keystone goes to Illinois refineries.  I saw it being installed.  I know who worked at the old ENRON plant which has changed owners which were cracking plastics off the natural gas and oil lines.  The price of Midwest oil refined at these factories allowed Midwest gas to be two cents a gallon less over the last five years.  Illinois and Indiana have some of the largest refining capacity in the nation and the canadian oil has helped the same.   I am all for renewable energy and Illinois and Indiana cornfields are filled and growing with wind power, nuclear and great solar credits, but it is simply naive to think that the horse and buggy business overnight was gone.  I was growing up in the fifties with a harness shop which every Saturday was filled with farmers who still used horses on some of their fields and tractors......the transition will never eliminate hydrocarbons from our industries, but we can certainly lower carbon pollution.   This is a bad decision.  If the locals do not want it, that is fine with me.  However, when rail transport increases, safety drops and my horror story of the ethanol spill and its impact on the environment makes it certain in my mind that this is not a zero sum game as some environmentalist have made it.   Pipelines are safer.  Period.  I never want to see something like I saw six years ago in the largest fish kill in Illinois history because of a poorly maintained rail line.  

You make a good case for why we should be more aggressive in transitioning to renewable sources of energy and away from oil.

When we continually ask questions like "Where are the electric lawn mowers?  Huh?" while at the same time we're fighting to build more oil pipelines, the narrative of "It is naive to think we can meet our needs today via renewal energy sources" becomes somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:

Not the best analogy.  The first leg of the keystone goes to Illinois refineries.  I saw it being installed.  I know who worked at the old ENRON plant which has changed owners which were cracking plastics off the natural gas and oil lines.  The price of Midwest oil refined at these factories allowed Midwest gas to be two cents a gallon less over the last five years.  Illinois and Indiana have some of the largest refining capacity in the nation and the canadian oil has helped the same.   I am all for renewable energy and Illinois and Indiana cornfields are filled and growing with wind power, nuclear and great solar credits, but it is simply naive to think that the horse and buggy business overnight was gone.  I was growing up in the fifties with a harness shop which every Saturday was filled with farmers who still used horses on some of their fields and tractors......the transition will never eliminate hydrocarbons from our industries, but we can certainly lower carbon pollution.   This is a bad decision.  If the locals do not want it, that is fine with me.  However, when rail transport increases, safety drops and my horror story of the ethanol spill and its impact on the environment makes it certain in my mind that this is not a zero sum game as some environmentalist have made it.   Pipelines are safer.  Period.  I never want to see something like I saw six years ago in the largest fish kill in Illinois history because of a poorly maintained rail line.  

You make a good case for why we should be more aggressive in transitioning to renewable sources of energy and away from oil.

When we continually ask questions like "Where are the electric lawn mowers?  Huh?" while at the same time we're fighting to build more oil pipelines, the narrative of "It is naive to think we can meet our needs today via renewal energy sources" becomes somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You don't seem to understand fossil and renewable energy industries are not the same and can co-exist (and have to) until renewable technology becomes more cost-effective inevitably replacing fossil. To simplify even more, unlike you most people can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Why would you argue against a privately funded pipeline? It's construction would have NO impact on renewable energy research or development since the pipeline investors are not involved in that industry.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

You don't seem to understand fossil and renewable energy industries are not the same and can co-exist (and have to) until renewable technology becomes more cost-effective inevitably replacing fossil. To simplify even more, unlike you most people can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Why would you argue against a privately funded pipeline? It's construction would have NO impact on renewable energy research or development since the pipeline investors are not involved in that industry.

Here again, it is the investments into these industries that ultimately make them cost-effective.  This is why I brought up the concept of a self-fulfilling prophecy that you quoted but didn't appear to read.  If our goal is to transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy - which, it should be - we need to invest much less in fossil fuels and much more in renewable energy.

But beyond that, I specifically said "You make a good case for why we should be more aggressive in transitioning to renewable sources of energy and away from oil." This sentence clearly conveys the fact that I understand that the fossil fuel industry and renewable industry are two separate things, as well as the fact that they can coexist. That you can read this and conclude otherwise suggests that you can't even read while sitting comfortably at a computer. Forget about walking and chewing gum.

Last edited by boards of FL on 11/10/2015, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

He wants buffett paid back for generous "donations". No wait... that's obama and the leftist dear leaders.

Bofer just supports the leftist rhetoric... no matter what it is or whether it makes sense or not. Yea team..!!

" - we need to invest much less in fossil fuels and much more in renewable energy."

Who's we? This doesn't involve public tax dollars... in other words you just wish for the govt to control private enterprise.

Last edited by PkrBum on 11/10/2015, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

I never want to see something like I saw six years ago in the largest fish kill in Illinois history because of a poorly maintained rail line.  

Here again, it is the investments into these industries that ultimately make them cost-effective.  This is why I brought up the concept of a self-fulfilling prophecy that you quoted but didn't appear to read.  If our goal is to transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy - which, it should be - we need to invest much less in fossil fuels and much more in renewable energy.

Your logic fails the common sense test. If I own an enormous oil field and need to get the product to market in a cost-effective manner I'm not going to invest in a wind farm as you suggest. I'll want to invest in a pipeline.

If I own a solar panel factory I'll want to invest in technology research to enable better solar conversion to electrical power in those panels. I'm not going to invest in an oil rig.

See the difference?

Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline - Page 2 9k=

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:He wants buffett paid back for generous "donations". No wait... that's obama and the leftist dear leaders.

Bofer just supports the leftist rhetoric... no matter what it is or whether it makes sense or not. Yea team..!!

Yes we get it. You have nothing substantive to add but you still want to feel like you're participating. Thanks, PkrBum. You have technically participated.

Now, unless you have anything substantive to add...

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:He wants buffett paid back for generous "donations". No wait... that's obama and the leftist dear leaders.

Yes we get it. You have nothing substantive to add but you still want to feel like you're participating. Thanks, PkrBum. You have technically participated.

" - we need to invest much less in fossil fuels and much more in renewable energy."

Who's we? This doesn't involve public tax dollars... in other words you just wish for the govt to control private enterprise.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

I never want to see something like I saw six years ago in the largest fish kill in Illinois history because of a poorly maintained rail line.  

Your logic fails the common sense test. If I own an enormous oil field and need to get the product to market in a cost-effective manner I'm not going to invest in a wind farm as you suggest. I'll want to invest in a pipeline.

If I own a solar panel factory I'll want to invest in technology research to enable better solar conversion to electrical power in those panels. I'm not going to invest in an oil rig.

See the difference?

Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline - Page 2 9k=

Yes.  I see the difference.  And if I am elected to be the leader of the free world and my long term vision calls for a transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy - which is what the worlds scientific community is unanimously telling me is needed - I will reject projects like this current pipeline and I will promote projects aimed at renewable sources of energy, regardless of whether or not someone is sitting on an enormous oil field with a need to get products to market.

You see, my allegiance is to humanity and my actions are guided by the world scientific community, not by a guy sitting on an enormous oil field with a need to get products to market.

See the difference?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Yes we get it.  You have nothing substantive to add but you still want to feel like you're participating.  Thanks, PkrBum.   You have technically participated.

PkrBum wrote:I refuse to play loop de loop with an asshole that ignores relevant facts while asking obtuse and misleading questions.
Let the govt give an economics degree to anyone that can balance their checkbook. In the mean time... fuck off.

PkrBum, please, you have nothing to add. We get it. And that's OK. The kids table is over here:

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/f2-general-discussion

Third Freight Train Derails (Second Owned By Buffett) Days After Obama Kills Keystone Pipeline

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-09/third-freight-train-derails-second-owned-buffett-days-after-obama-kills-keystone-pip

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

gatorfan wrote:You don't seem to understand fossil and renewable energy industries are not the same and can co-exist (and have to) until renewable technology becomes more cost-effective inevitably replacing fossil.

I agree with you and am all for the eventual transition away from petroleum. The problem is the most ardent of the climate change fanatics have a goal of shutting down the petroleum industry now, regardless of its cost to humanity (starvation is but one of the issues). They are true-believers in the near term "tipping points" that have Manhattan becoming flooded by 2030 from rising seas if radical action is not taken now. I don't buy the tipping points and I don't like the social-engineering controls that the global climate-change leaders want to impose on the world.

I liked Seaoat's analogy on how some farmers were still using draft animals for traction as late as the 1950s. It explained how long it actually took to transition to mechanical traction. It will not be an abrupt and sudden transition away from fossil fuels.

Great progress is being made in technology that will move mankind to the next form of energy during the current century. The climate change movement is helping to drive this, but the change won't happen by 2030.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:Third Freight Train Derails (Second Owned By Buffett) Days After Obama Kills Keystone Pipeline

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-09/third-freight-train-derails-second-owned-buffett-days-after-obama-kills-keystone-pip

The publisher of the Oil & Gas Journal published this article on the recent derailments:

Crews work to clear up after 2 Wisconsin train derailments
November 9, 2015

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2015/11/crews-work-to-clear-up-after-2-wisconsin-train-derailments.html?cmpid=EnlDailyPetroNovember102015&eid=288268884&bid=1229988

This article also discusses an ethanol train derailment on the shores of the Mississippi that spilled 20,000 gallons of ETOH. This was another BNSF train.

So is that four fuel train derailments in as many days?

Sal

Sal

Pipelines spill three times as much oil as rail transport.

gatorfan

Salinsky wrote:Pipelines spill three times as much oil as rail transport.

You have to consider volume in that "analysis" before accepting that. Oil volume in pipelines runs about 25-30 times more than rail. Pipelines don't move either so contingency plans can be developed to more rapidly contain a spill while a rail accident can happen anywhere the train moves, usually resulting in an explosion due to the speed of the train.

The fact is both methods are going to have spills but both methods are necessary. The rail industry is improving tanker cars to resist spills as the pipe industry improves pumping station cutoffs in the event of a spill.

Sal

Sal

That figure takes into consideration both volume and distance transported.

And, pipeline spills are indisputably exponentially more environmentally destructive than rail accidents.

There are valid arguments to made for pipelines, but safety versus rail isn't one of them.

Rail also costs 30 dollars per barrel more than pipeline... buffett is laughing all the way to the bank on our backs.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

knothead wrote:I weighed in on this issue months ago when it began to become a political topic.  I was opposed to it then and I think the President did the right thing by denying it.  I concede the horrible safety record in rail transport but the remaining elements more than offset those counter arguments.  This is a very unique request in that the Canadian government advocated for this PROJECT which traditionally would be the role of TransCanada; governments traditionally advocate for policy in lieu of projects (this is my first red flag).  The facts remain that it is NOT a job creator rather it is a job destroyer when you consider the loss of the truck drivers and the railroad workers who make a good living.  As we all recall one of the talking points by the advocates was the creation of jobs but after closer scrutiny we see that this was an illusion (my 2nd red flag).  The jobs created by approving the project are all temporary lasting approximately two years.  Add to this the highly toxic material goes to Port Arthur where it will be refined and sold on the world market with no obligation whatsoever of retaining in the USA (third red flag).  Port Arthur, as the designated destination, would be a tax free zone for TransCanada therefore no proceeds of this endeavor would be realized for Texas or the US government for the privilege of pumping toxic material across our nation with its attendant risks with no benefit whatsoever.  President Obama, whether for political reasoning or not, did the right thing and I applaud his decision.  Remember . . . . the material will continue to be transported and whatever America stands to gain will continue and those thousands of truck drivers and rail workers will continue to earn a good living . . . . good decision!!!      

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:Rail also costs 30 dollars per barrel more than pipeline... buffett is laughing all the way to the bank on our backs.

Those trains are also spewing CO2 as they chug along the tracks--they do burn diesel--so rail shipment of oil is not a climate-friendly enterprise.

gatorfan

Salinsky wrote:That figure takes into consideration both volume and distance transported.

And, pipeline spills are indisputably exponentially more environmentally destructive than rail accidents.

There are valid arguments to made for pipelines, but safety versus rail isn't one of them.

This is a good summary of the problem(s)

"It’s a lot riskier to move oil by train instead of pipeline"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/02/20/its-a-lot-riskier-to-move-oil-by-train-instead-of-pipeline/

2seaoat

Rail and truck are not safer than pipelines. When I return home on Friday I will give you the research. It is not even close.

Sal

Sal

Environmentally, they are.

And, it's not close.

The IEA has done the research.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum