Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Mass Shooting--in Lafayette Lousiana Movie Theater

+5
Hospital Bob
Sal
nadalfan
TEOTWAWKI
ZVUGKTUBM
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Do you mean like dc, no, chicago, detroit, baltimore, gary, la... etc?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Snark Spigot wrote:The problem is that there are so many guns, and they are so readily available to anyone who wants one.  

I'm not sure what the answer is for America, because Americans are so fucking crazy about the whole issue.

But, don't pretend gun control can't work.

It can and does in other places.

But, it requires gun confiscation, and that just ain't gonna fly here.

Actually I agree with every word in your post. But what trumps it all is your mention of "other places". And your understanding that this place aint "other places". And this place aint like no other places on this.

This country has been a gun frontier all it's life. It was a gun frontier when it started, it has always been a gun frontier, and it will remain a gun frontier.
No matter how good intended gun laws are, and if they would work I'd quickly do a flip-flop on all this, but as I said earlier, prohibition of guns IN THIS COUNTRY will work as well as prohibition of alcohol.
If anyone wants to dispute this then give me chapter and verse when you do. Where and what gun laws in America have significantly reduced gun crime. If you can convince me using that as your argument then you might could change my mind.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And of course all I'm talking about is changes in laws governing the legal purchase of guns.
If we start talking about "confiscation" (of existing guns),  you might as well count on another civil war over that.  And if anybody thinks that's an exaggeration,  then you must have just fell off some turnip truck somewhere.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Snark Spigot wrote:The problem is that there are so many guns, and they are so readily available to anyone who wants one.  

I'm not sure what the answer is for America, because Americans are so fucking crazy about the whole issue.

But, don't pretend gun control can't work.

It can and does in other places.

But, it requires gun confiscation, and that just ain't gonna fly here.

Actually I agree with every word in your post. But what trumps it all is your mention of "other places". And your understanding that this place aint "other places". And this place aint like no other places on this.

This country has been a gun frontier all it's life. It was a gun frontier when it started, it has always been a gun frontier, and it will remain a gun frontier.
No matter how good intended gun laws are, and if they would work I'd quickly do a flip-flop on all this, but as I said earlier, prohibition of guns IN THIS COUNTRY will work as well as prohibition of alcohol.
If anyone wants to dispute this then give me chapter and verse when you do. Where and what gun laws in America have significantly reduced gun crime. If you can convince me using that as your argument then you might could change my mind.

Australia was a gun frontier too.

I think the difference is the distrust in government.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/14/america-mass-murder-australia-gun-control-saves-lives

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Snark Spigot wrote:
Australia was a gun frontier too.

I think the difference is the distrust in government. [/font]

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/14/america-mass-murder-australia-gun-control-saves-lives

After I read that,  I was about to post a reply to you saying you have provided the evidence for me to do the flip-flop.
But then I do what I often do and read the blog comments below an article to see if there is any other perspective.  
There was.  So what's your response to this one...

It would be helpful if the anti-gun lot would be honest.

The author touts the drop in gun deaths and compares it to the U.S. She fails to mention that after the gun buy back program, Australians simply rearmed and no gun ownership is at the same level as before. Was there a dip in gun deaths and then a rise to accompany the rearming of the Australian population? No.

If one looks at the homicide rate, the numbers went up significantly after the buyback program. (See graph here.) They then fell during the time when Australians were rearming.

Comparing Australian vs U.S. gun homicide rate is unfortunately worthless. Americans kill people with knives at a much higher rate as well. The only conclusion one can make is that Australians don't have near the problem with inner city violence which is responsible for the majority of homicides by guns or other means.

Here's the graph referred to...

http://www.davidcroushore.com/post/46505169596/the-strange-mis-quoting-of-australian-crime

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Damn I just read through that whole linked page the blogger provided.
I can't even understand why the blogger thought that was bolstering his argument. Appears to be just the opposite. Quite strange.

Sal

Sal

Just to be clear regarding the guardian article I posted, what they refer to as a "gun buy back" was, in fact, mandatory.

So, what they're calling a "buy back" was, in reality, a confiscation.

And again, that ain't gonna fly here.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Over 2000 people were killed in the Aussie confiscation..

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

He must have been a Retarded, Racist, Right-wing, Republican. I wonder how anyone like that could have founded the country.
That's almost as mysterious as Dubya Bush being anything except a hardware store clerk or somebody who clears brush for a living.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Snark Spigot wrote:
This is the real reason he's out ...[/font]

Another Mass Shooting--in Lafayette Lousiana Movie Theater - Page 3 Hogan3

If his physique has gotten as pathetic as that,  it's no wonder they don't want him in wrastlin anymore.  Hell, even I could do the "hangman" maneuver on him and the match would be over.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

From the wrestling glossary...

Rasslin'
refers to a southern style of professional wrestling which emphasizes kayfabe and stiffness, with fewer squash matches and generally longer feuds. It was synonymous with the NWA-affiliated promotions. Rasslin' included TV tapings at smaller venues, as compared to the larger and more well-known arenas utilized by northern U.S. promotions such as the AWA and W(W)WF. The term is derived from a phonetic spelling of how the word "wrestling" sounds when spoken with a heavy Southern accent. It is also commonly used in a derogatory manner by non-Southern wrestling fans to describe that style of wrestling. When Ted Turner purchased Jim Crockett Promotions in 1988, he allegedly called Vince McMahon to tell him that he was now in the "rasslin'" business. McMahon allegedly differentiated his company's style by responding, "That's great, Ted. I'm in the entertainment business."

And I know what you're wondering. What in the hell does "kayfabe" mean.
Got you covered...

Kayfabe
term used to describe the illusion (and up-keep of the illusion) that professional wrestling is not staged (i.e. that the on-screen situations between performers represent reality).[1] Also used by wrestlers as a signal to close ranks and stop discussing business due to an uninformed person arriving in earshot.[1][8] The term is said to have been loosely derived from the Pig Latin pronunciation of the word "fake" ("akefay").

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum