Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Putting a new exterior door on the house

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

Just put a new exterior door on the house, and it took less than an hour and a half.   No shimming, no fighting to get it level, no rot or decay of structural studs or floor.  I am shocked.  It usually has taken me a half day to put an exterior door in an older existing home because of issues with decay and level.  we put our coded deadbolt in the door, and put the door knobs on, and will have to paint, caulk, and trim.  It has no burglar bars and a person wanting entry into our house only needs to break the glass.......oh my.....do you think I will lose sleep tonight......maybe  I should have a consult with Bob on security matters.....but I guess I will rely on the eight exterior cameras, lighting, and my shotgun......but there is about as much chance of that being a conscious concern of mine as my caring who is going to be the dog catcher in Biloxi.......right now I am simply happy that a rusted old steel door on a river house is now structurally sound.  My wife is a superstar.......I just had to do a little lifting, a few instructions, and she did most of the work......like we were talking about the other day......wisdom is wasted on older people.....wish we knew what we know now when we were just married.

Putting a new exterior door on the house Office10

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Good job!

2seaoat

Good job!

This door was a spoiler.....too damn easy.  We got the new shower curtain from Amazon by UPS today, and expect the single curved shower curtain support to arrive Friday and will show the finished bath photo Saturday.  We have trimmed that out, and the wife is loving her bath.  The old steel door had rusted away on the bottom and there was a sale on steel doors last week and I was taking the dump truck to get the new bath, so we picked up a new door.   We are going to replace the storm door on the main entrance to the house this weekend, and I think I will pull a permit and make a handicap ramp for both entrances, but do not trust local government not to make a nightmare out of a simple project like a handicap ramp.  My wife broke her ankle on the stairs from this door in March, and before ice sets in, we need to make the stairs safer.

Hallmarkgard

Go ahead and put a good coat of paint on it while you are thinking about it I am sure you double checked all the weather striping and the threshold.

2seaoat

Go ahead and put a good coat of paint on it while you are thinking about it I am sure you double checked all the weather striping and the threshold.

Sanded and painted the 3/4 inch plywood under the old door because we could see slight dampness marks where the steel door rusted and moisture made it to the subfloor under the threshold.   Superficial, but we will be painting and caulking to make it weather tight.   We will work on the handicap ramps and a Pergola for the back deck which overlooks one of the channels between the islands.  In mid day it is too hot to enjoy the deck, and it should be more comfortable with the Pergola.  I am watching Utubes on some design ideas, and because it does not have a snow load, I believe I can get this permitted without too much of a hassle.  The handicap ramp may be a bit more of a challenge, because they want plans.  I will begin drawing the same next week.  These projects keep me moving and the results have been very good.  We put the new storm door on this afternoon.

Hallmarkgard

OK. Just checking. You may proceed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum