Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SC Governor called out for ignoring calls to trash Confederate flag flying at Capital

+7
Markle
Joanimaroni
TEOTWAWKI
othershoe1030
2seaoat
KarlRove
Wordslinger
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:To you.   Didja ever stop & think it might hold a different symbolism for a lot of other people?

If you don't like the Confederate flag ... don't fly it.  

If you don't like abortions ... don't have one.

If you don't like pot ... don't smoke it.

etc

The issue here is the flag being displayed over a government building.  That is considerably different than an outright banning of the display of the flag in every context.

As a side note, the flag that we're all discussing isn't even the real confederate flag, nor was the flag that we're discussing every officially recognized by the confederate states of america in any way.  The flag that we're talking about - "the rebel flag" - is an offshoot of that that became popular through the adoption and use by groups of racist assholes.  There really is no legitimate defense of a flag like that being flown over a government building.  

If they're going to use the "We're just acknowledging our history" defense, then they should at least get their history correct and fly the actual flag of the CSA rather than "the rebel flag".

1861....a Confederate flag was recognized. In 1863 another flag was designed as the battle flag oh the south..

Confederate Navy Jack: Used as a navy jack at sea from 1863 onward. This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

Note: It is necessary to disclaim any connection of these flags to neo-nazis, red-necks, skin-heads and the like. These groups have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to use this flag - it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and still revered by the South. In fact, under attack, it still flies over the South Carolina capitol building. The South denies any relation to these hate groups and denies them the right to use the flags of the confederacy for any purpose. The crimes committed by these groups under the stolen banner of the conderacy only exacerbate the lies which link the seccesion to slavery interests when, from a Southerner's view, the cause was state's rights.

Sal

Sal

Historically, it's a flag of treason.

Today, it's a banner for racist assholes.

2seaoat

This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.
it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights

Total revisionist Bull Chit.  Let the Vice President of the Confederacy speak the truth:

SC Governor called out for ignoring calls to trash Confederate flag flying at Capital - Page 3 220px-AlexStephens2

On March 21, 1861, Stephens gave his famous Cornerstone Speech in Savannah, Georgia. In it he declared that slavery was the natural condition of blacks and the foundation of the Confederacy. He declared, "Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition

2seaoat

Dog whistle racist make the argument today of states rights, but as a child when the courts turned on the de facto segregation and Jim Crow(this was in my lifetime), the revisionist decided that the foundation of the civil war was not slavery and the fear of equal rights for the black man, but it became state rights because in arguing the same like Jim Crow where separate and unequal could keep the black man down the dog whistle could be perfected.....the confederate flag over the SC statehouse did not happen until 1962......right when the civil rights legislation was creating a path to equality did the dog whistle crowd put the flag on the statehouse and argue state's rights.........evil terrorist.  I will fly the flag of America with pride that the American Taliban was defeated, and will REMAIN defeated.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:To you.   Didja ever stop & think it might hold a different symbolism for a lot of other people?

If you don't like the Confederate flag ... don't fly it.  

If you don't like abortions ... don't have one.

If you don't like pot ... don't smoke it.

etc

The issue here is the flag being displayed over a government building.  That is considerably different than an outright banning of the display of the flag in every context.

As a side note, the flag that we're all discussing isn't even the real confederate flag, nor was the flag that we're discussing every officially recognized by the confederate states of america in any way.  The flag that we're talking about - "the rebel flag" - is an offshoot of that that became popular through the adoption and use by groups of racist assholes.  There really is no legitimate defense of a flag like that being flown over a government building.  

If they're going to use the "We're just acknowledging our history" defense, then they should at least get their history correct and fly the actual flag of the CSA rather than "the rebel flag".

1861....a Confederate flag was recognized. In 1863 another flag was designed as the battle flag oh the south..

Confederate Navy Jack: Used as a navy jack at sea from 1863 onward. This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

Note: It is necessary to disclaim any connection of these flags to neo-nazis, red-necks, skin-heads and the like. These groups have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to use this flag - it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and still revered by the South. In fact, under attack, it still flies over the South Carolina capitol building. The South denies any relation to these hate groups and denies them the right to use the flags of the confederacy for any purpose. The crimes committed by these groups under the stolen banner of the conderacy only exacerbate the lies which link the seccesion to slavery interests when, from a Southerner's view, the cause was state's rights.

I was listening to a discussion of this issue on the radio the other day and a black contributor pointed out something that is easy, apparently, for us to overlook, namely that when phrases such as the one above are used they fail to acknowledge that IN FACT THE SOUTH DOES NOT CONSIST ENTIRELY OF WHITE PEOPLE and that there are many southerners both black and white who do not see anything but disgust when they see the battle flag.

I hope the necessary actions are taken and that either through legislative action or a vote on the state wide ballot the flag is removed from its place of honor. Yes it is a symbol of treason and hatred, not to be forgotten but certainly the time has come for it no longer to be admired on a state level.

Is there a link to your post?

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

My personal opinion as to what the people of the State of South Carolina should do about the controversial flag is to remove it ... because it is actually the wrong flag!   The flag they are flying is the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.  South Carolina troops did not fight under this banner.

What they should be flying is either the South Carolina Sovereignty/Secession flag or the Bonny Blue Flag, both of which have an actual historical basis in South Carolina .... and it should be flown at either a Confederate Veterans/War Memorial, the General Hampton statue, or at the State Civil War Museum.

But ultimately, it's up to the voters of South Carolina if you ask me. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a South Carolinian.

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 6/22/2015, 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Joanimaroni wrote:

Not what another poster said they wanted ... and to whom I was responding.
Wordslinger wrote:
I did just that after posting you, thanks. Now what I question the most is why law enforcement tolerates any part of this sick crapola. To most Americans, the Rebel flag is every bit as obnoxious as the Nazi flag. It shouldn't just be removed from state cites ... it should be made illegal to show in any way. [/b]

But thanks for your input.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

So shall we also remove the markers from our family cemetery (provided to my family by the United States government in the 1970's) for our three ancestors who fought for the South and were buried on the battlefield in unmarked graves?

2seaoat

A private monument to the deceased is quite different than symbols of hate over public property.   I do not care that my neighbor across the street flies a confederate flag.....he is a drunk borderline idiot loser who is harmless, but collectively organized and used to divide this nation he becomes as dangerous as a foreign terrorist because the harm in the collective is what is driving the politics of hate, prejudice and fear which allow the Oligarchy to divide this great nation......my flag will be up by the end of the day, and even though my ancestors fought for the South, I recognize it was evil and a terrorist act against a great nation, and as far as I am concerned they should sell taliban, ISIS, and confederate toilet paper because their doctrines have only one place.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Well ... my bad.

I did a little reading today. It's not flying over the State Capitol. It's flying over the Confederate War Memorial which is on the Capitol grounds. It was moved there 15 years ago.

What a stupid issue this is! So what are going to do next .... remove all Confederate War Memorials all over the South? Shall we dig up the graves of the Confederate dead as well & toss their bones in the ocean?

As though removing historical symbols of the Confederacy from historical monuments is going to stop disturbed young men from committing acts of racial hatred. Our time would be better spent dealing with the real roots of why this disturbed young man would have gotten caught up in such an ideology in the first place & taken it to such an extreme. I seriously doubt he did it because of a historical flag flying over a historical memorial or that removal of that flag would stop others from committing acts of racial hatred. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I doubt the families of the 9 dead in Charleston think this issue is "stupid".

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Fortunately the governor has taken a stand.

(CNN)South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley on Monday called for the removal of the Confederate flag from the grounds of the State House.

"Today we are here in a moment of unity in our state without ill will to say it is time to remove the flag from our capitol grounds," said Haley, a Republican and the state's first non-white governor, while flanked by a diverse group of South Carolina politicians.

"This flag, while an integral part of our past, does not represent the future of our great state," she said.

The flag can only be removed from its location in front of the State legislature with the approval of two-thirds of that body. And Haley said if the state's General Assembly doesn't convene on the matter in this last week of the legislative year, she would call up lawmakers to the capital "under extraordinary measures."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/nikki-haley-confederate-flag-south-carolina-press-conference/index.html

2seaoat

Glad your vacation was short....welcome back.....I play a much better moderate role on this forum, but on this issue I am a fanatic for addressing hate, fear, and prejudice......some try to hide under the culture and history veil, but my family was in North Birmingham and I loved every single one of them....but I saw the hate.....a child can see clearly.  There was no confusion.  It will not be extinguished in a generation....it will always linger in the shadows, but the symbol of this hate has no business on state property......my father, aunts, uncles, and grandparents are in the same graveyard as Bear Bryant, but they were all Auburn fans, and maybe it is time to keep history in museums and quit pretending on this issue.....if Auburn fans can be buried with Alabama fans....there is hope we can overcome hate, prejudice, and fear in our grandchildren's lifetime......I live every moment dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal....even Alabama fans.

Floridatexan wrote:
I doubt the families of the 9 dead in Charleston think this issue is "stupid".

Selective outrage... what about the 700 shootings and 150 murders in chicago this year? Or see detroit, baltimore etc.

You only care because the media and obama made it the cause du jour. Knee... meet jerk reflex useful idiot.

Sal

Sal

EmeraldGhost wrote:Shall we dig up the graves of the Confederate dead as well & toss their bones in the ocean?

Who gives a rat's ass.

They were traitors.

Dig 'em up and skull fuck 'em before you throw 'em in the ocean for all I care.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Sal wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:Shall we dig up the graves of the Confederate dead as well & toss their bones in the ocean?

Who gives a rat's ass.

They were traitors.

Dig 'em up and skull fuck 'em before you throw 'em in the ocean for all I care.

That's the Sal I love!!!

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

So no liberals care to answer the question I posed in this other thread?

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t20209-take-it-down

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hey let's get rid of the Star Spangled Banner also...it's such a anachronism.

Bombs, Rockets, shells bursting in air....praising violence....

And we know Land of the free home of the brave is BS.

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”

― George Orwell, 1984

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Which flag can we go after next collectivist libtards ?...Mississippi looks evil...huh ?

SC Governor called out for ignoring calls to trash Confederate flag flying at Capital - Page 3 ?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-HR84DF35jt4%2FTzGhw8UUKqI%2FAAAAAAAAGCE%2FJoGSDsahmn8%2Fs1600%2FIMG_0003

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:So no liberals care to answer the question I posed in this other thread?

The choctaws fought for their own survival, and they weren't involved with buying and selling slaves. Nothing for them to be embarrassed about, and nothing comparable in any way to the despicable, hate symbol of the Rebel flag which commemorates nothing that anyone other than a racist would be proud about.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I didn't know slavery originated in the south.

SC Governor called out for ignoring calls to trash Confederate flag flying at Capital - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_XM0cXzgFGZ14TnaXfFCkTjqA4MzZ3Ubh7vwY_eFwsRm_UXXw

I didn't either.

*****FART*****
IN SAL's & BOARD's GENERAL DIRECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCuTrfTfGd0

Smile

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Joanimaroni wrote:I didn't know slavery originated in the south.

Yes it did, in Haiti and the Caribbean, to be exact. If you are referring to North America, the answer is: 1619, Jamestown, Virginia.
And Virginia is indeed one of the southern states. Your welcome.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Damaged Eagle wrote:SC Governor called out for ignoring calls to trash Confederate flag flying at Capital - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_XM0cXzgFGZ14TnaXfFCkTjqA4MzZ3Ubh7vwY_eFwsRm_UXXw

I didn't either.

*****FART*****
IN SAL's & BOARD's GENERAL DIRECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCuTrfTfGd0

Smile

That's because you're stupid. See my answer to Joanimoroni, dummy.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Wordslinger wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:So no liberals care to answer the question I posed in this other thread?

The choctaws fought for their own survival, and they weren't involved with buying and selling slaves.  Nothing for them to be embarrassed about, and nothing comparable in any way to the despicable, hate symbol of the Rebel flag which commemorates nothing that anyone other than a racist would be proud about.  

Oh, really!  Laughing

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc28371/m2/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf

Choctaws held slaves & fought for the Confederacy .... and they did so under a flag that flies right now on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol that commemorates that.   Deal with it.

So when are the race-baiters gonna start demanding that flag be taken down?
SC Governor called out for ignoring calls to trash Confederate flag flying at Capital - Page 3 Acrylic-fridge-magnet-usa-oklahoma-state-capitol-flags

(the penchant of some people to rewrite history in the name of political correctness never ceases to amaze me  Rolling Eyes   )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum