Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FOR SEAOAT: "They just want to use these words. That's sexist. That's racist. That's prejudiced. They don't even know what they're talking about" ... Jerry Seinfeld

+4
boards of FL
2seaoat
Sal
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Watch the video.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/author--political-correctness-being-weaponized-464690755784

Sal

Sal

I love Seinfeld and continue to watch the reruns with regularity.

That having been said, it becomes increasingly evident with each passing year that Larry David was the genius behind the show.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Larry David has the same aversion to political correctness Seinfeld does, Sal.

So being a proponent of political correctness and dropping the word "racist" at every turn does not necessarily indicate exceptional intelligence. lol

2seaoat

Bob.
Racism is fear. You do not get rid of fear by simply ignoring the irrational verbalizations of the same. I know these authors want people to believe in Santa Claus, and when I say he does not exist.....I am a dick.....but fifty year olds walking around believing in Santa Claus or separate but equal need a dick.

Your knee jerk ilk these days do more harm than good. People would do better taking responsibility rather than being coddled by politically correct guilt ridden leftists. An equal opportunity is not a hand out... it was the founding principle that still required war and struggle. Humans didn't reach this stage of development because of redistribution and entitlement... they reached it by self-determination and reliance.

2seaoat

Your knee jerk ilk

No knee jerk. Just calling the balls and strikes as I see them. I wear glasses because my vision is not perfect, but I think I can call the difference between a ball and a strike. I know.....you really did not want to throw that ball where it ended up.....it was not your intent.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:Your knee jerk ilk these days do more harm than good. People would do better taking responsibility rather than being coddled by politically correct guilt ridden leftists. An equal opportunity is not a hand out... it was the founding principle that still required war and struggle. Humans didn't reach this stage of development because of redistribution and entitlement... they reached it by self-determination and reliance.

Beautifully stated.

The only thing missing is an acknowledgement of the hundreds of years of American history, both before and after the Declaration of Independence which stated "all men are created equal" written by the inventor of our country Thomas Jefferson. Who himself didn't think ALL men were included in this because he himself owned other human beings in the same way he owned dogs.
It's a horrible chapter in the history of human civilization. It's one of the main motivations why those Europeans came over here to start with. To enslave other human beings. And boy were they good at it.

But American society evolves. Slowly I concede. It took more hundreds of years before the future generations of those slaves had any semblence of that "being equal" that Jefferson wrote about. And when it finally began to happen, it all began to happen in my lifetime.

In the early 60's, my mother was sitting at the Walgreens lunch counter on South Palafox. She noticed that two black people were sitting at the counter near her.
Not long after she got served, three KKK in full costume came into that Walgreens and layed down their law. It then all became a scene of chaos because, as a society, we all were in that transition period. The counter clerks, the store manager, and especially my mother, not to mention the two human beings who were the target of this craziness, ALL were thrown into a really stupid situation. My mother got the hell out of there and never knew how it ended. But she had a memory of that experience which stayed in her gut for a long long time.

All that's a given. But the 1960's are not 15 years into the 21st Century. They are now a half century ago. We're not still living in the 60's, seaoat.

2seaoat

We're not still living in the 60's, seaoat.

Nor have we solved racism in American society.  Politically correct is a start when the fear is still rampant and a black kid is treated unfairly.  I have seen some terrible things.  It was the early 1990s and we had rented a house to a black professor at the university and his wife who was a lawyer and public defender.  We needed to replace a dryer in the house and my wife went with the female tenant to Sears and had never seen a human being treated with such disrespect and abuse.  She was appalled and got pissed at the clerk and raised a stink.....the woman was a lawyer being treated like she was a crack whore who was going to steal something.  It had a very strong impact on my wife who just did not see this as a school teacher, but I see it every day, and could tell you multiple events just this last year......you are living in a fog if you think racism was cured at a lunch counter in the sixties......it was not.

Political correctness proceeds from the brain to the mouth.

Knocking out racism is a heart issue - pure and simple.

Political correctness has the appropriate title as it is all political and a way to gain power.

Has Chris Rock chimed in on Jerry's conversation??

Sal

Sal

Babyboomer comedians bitching that the kids these days just don't get them.

Irrelevance is hard to get used to.

2seaoat

Jerry Seinfeld is not funny and if you have listened to his interviews one begins to think he is a dullard.   Larry David is a genius.  Seinfeld was extremely lucky that Davids talents were hidden for so many years, but after Curb.....Jerry should keep his mouth shut and not confirm the obvious.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You two are so predictable. lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

That Seinfeld quote was made on the Colin Cowherd show on ESPN radio - a show that I listen to daily.  I was actually listening when this interview originally aired and heard it in its entirety.  Trust me when I say that this has been way oversensationalized.  Colin had asked him question about playing certain types of venues, crowds, and regions of the country.  Are there any that you particularly like?  Are there any that you avoid?  Seinfeld did acknowledge that certain regions of the country enjoy comedy more than others, and that certain venues or age demographics lend themselves more to certain brands of comedy rather than others.  He went on simply to mention that - for himself, personally - he avoids colleges because they're a bit too PC.  That's it.  It wasn't his intent to make some sort of major social commentary or political statement.  That is drama fabricated entirely by the media.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.bushwatch.com/lori.htm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

So EITHER he did convey what the title quote says because he's "not funny" and "a dullard".
OR INSTEAD,   he didn't really mean to say it and it's all the fault of the media like the excuse we always get when politicians say stuff we don't wanna hear.  
Of course it's not even an option that what he said needed to be said. Because we all know that anyone who doesn't believe everything that happens in life is due to racism,  again has to be a "dullard" .  lol

I repeat,  it's always so predictable.  lol

2seaoat

You two are so predictable. lol

Bob are you in the camp that says Seinfeld was brilliant, or are you in the camp which says that Seinfeld was only as brilliant as Larry David.  I watched a HBO special about a year ago where three or four comedians talked about the nature of the business, and I left that interview convinced that Larry David is a Genius, and Seinfeld is a news reader.  In  real time the man is hardly impressive. 

The constitution and its amendments told us that a black man was equal to a white man under the law, yet politics of Jim Crow in the South took that fundamental right away from Americans.  So being politically incorrect is a constant battle, and words do matter......but Bob.....you are so consistent and fearful that your fears may be questioned, that I understand why oolitical correctness makes you afraid. Very Happy

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:  He went on simply to mention that - for himself, personally - he avoids colleges because they're a bit too PC.  That's it.

Boy do you leave out a lot. lol

“I don’t play colleges but I hear a lot of people tell me, ‘Don’t go near colleges, they’re so pc.’"

When asked by Cowherd if knee-jerk offendedness hurts comedy, Seinfeld responded, “Yes, it does.”

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:

Bob are you in the camp that says Seinfeld was brilliant, or are you in the camp which says that Seinfeld was only as brilliant as Larry David. 

I'm the camp which says Seinfeld was a really good standup comic and probably one of the best sitcom "straight men" in tv history.
And in the camp which says David was a brilliant comedy writer and equally good in front of the camera.

I'm waiting to see what develops after Seinfeld's comments in that interview.
Will he now play down what he said or will he amplify it?
And what will be the reaction of other comics?  Will they defend his comments or rebuke them?
We shall see.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:  He went on simply to mention that - for himself, personally - he avoids colleges because they're a bit too PC.  That's it.

Boy do you leave out a lot.  lol

“I don’t play colleges but I hear a lot of people tell me, ‘Don’t go near colleges, they’re so pc.’"

When asked by Cowherd if knee-jerk offendedness hurts comedy, Seinfeld responded, “Yes, it does.”

My point was that Seinfeld's comments were overblown and sensationalized, and they were.   I would recommend going and listening to the entire interview and then come back and see if you still feel there is any controversy there.

Sal

Sal

I believe Seinfeld meant exactly what he said.

I've heard other comedians of his generation say similar things.

They have hurt feelings because young people don't find them funny.

Standards change, and it hurts to become irrelevant.

2seaoat

Bob......ever been golfing when somebody tells a racial joke....I have and they are not funny.....how did they become unfunny.....political correctness.....Ever been golfing when somebody tells a homosexual joke.....I have and they are not funny......how did they become unfunny.....political correctness......Ever been golfing and somebody tells a Lebron James joke......I have......and they are funny.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:You two are so predictable. lol

Bob are you in the camp that says Seinfeld was brilliant, or are you in the camp which says that Seinfeld was only as brilliant as Larry David.  I watched a HBO special about a year ago where three or four comedians talked about the nature of the business, and I left that interview convinced that Larry David is a Genius, and Seinfeld is a news reader.  In  real time the man is hardly impressive. 

The constitution and its amendments told us that a black man was equal to a white man under the law, yet politics of Jim Crow in the South took that fundamental right away from Americans.  So being politically incorrect is a constant battle, and words do matter......but Bob.....you are so consistent and fearful that your fears may be questioned, that I understand why oolitical correctness makes you afraid. Very Happy

Another LIE.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Ever been golfing when somebody tells a homosexual joke.....I have and they are not funny.

Some friends and I have our own little version of a 5-person rat pack. One being my surrogate brother (1st cousin).  His best friend from high school.  That person's younger brother who I've also  known from high school.  And my oldest friend (from elementary school) who grew up together with the rest of us.

They all know what my sexual orientation is.  They crack queer jokes which make me laugh.  And I crack queer jokes which make them laugh.
And yes sometimes it's on a golf course.  We call it the "goat ranch" because that's what it is.  A goat ranch on the side of a mountain near Maggie Valley NC which was converted to a golf course (of sorts).
And when we're cracking queer jokes there it's the perfect setting for it cause the golf course itself is as queer as any golf course you've ever seen.  lol

2seaoat

Another LIE.

I thought crazy was limited to one thread....I will bite....how so?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Whether Seinfeld is racist or not, the sad part of this is Joe Scarborough's politicization of whatever offensive remarks Seinfeld may have made...and bringing on these hack journalists trying to make hay out of horse manure. I don't care about "PC"...never have. I understand that comedians walk a fine line between funny and offensive, but I don't appreciate racist jokes...and I really don't appreciate people who think that addressing the issue of racism in the US is "weaponizing" political correctedness...stupid...just incredibly stupid.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum