Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

This question stumps Republicans

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1This question stumps Republicans Empty This question stumps Republicans 5/13/2015, 11:20 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/13/politics/being-moody-south-carolina-2016/index.html

Is there anything more enjoyable than seeing republicans experience cognitive dissonance?

Greenville, South Carolina (CNN)It's a simple question, but one that stops Republican presidential hopefuls in their tracks: Who do you think is the greatest president alive today?

CNN posed the question to several White House contenders gathered here recently at the Freedom Summit, a daylong conference with conservative activists ahead of next year's primary in this crucial early-primary state.

"Obviously the greatest president of my lifetime is Ronald Reagan," said Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

"I'll leave that to the people to decide," said Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, which is his guaranteed go-to line for questions he doesn't want to answer. "Certainly the greatest president of recent generations was Ronald Reagan."

"I was a big fan, a very big fan of Ronald Reagan," real estate mogul Donald Trump said.

Ronald Reagan, as you might recall, has been dead for 11 years.

There are reasons why these White House hopefuls are suddenly shy when pressed on their thoughts about the five surviving presidents.

They can't say Jimmy Carter, whose presidency is synonymous in GOP circles as weakness, or President Barack Obama, a man whose legacy they all have spent years trying to vanquish. Bill Clinton is a Democrat and the husband of Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton -- so he's out.

That leaves the two Republicans: George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, father and brother, respectively, of Jeb Bush, the former governor of Florida who is preparing his own bid for the Republican nomination. And an endorsement for a Bush could be construed as affirmation for Jeb Bush by proxy.

They also know that if you say George W. Bush is the greatest living president, well, then you're on camera saying you think George W. Bush is the greatest living president, and Democrats will have a field day. In 2008, GOP nominee John McCain didn't want to tie his campaign lasso to Bush, and neither do these contenders eight years later.

That might explain why former Texas Gov. Rick Perry ignored the question completely, walked away and hooted, "Bye y'aaaaall" on his way out.

Or why Ben Carson, the retired neurosurgeon, paused for several seconds before he just gave up. "I don't know," he said.

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum gets partial credit for threading the needle: "Probably a Bush," he said, and then escaped up a wheelchair ramp.

Well, at least almost everyone on the Republican campaign trail can agree: The late Ronald Reagan is America's greatest (previously) living president.

Obviously all administrations have their good and bad moments.  And we live in a time where you have to be aligned and boxed in so you can be slammed and rejected.  Both sides do it.

This is sophomoric.

Voters grow up.  Know what you believe to be important in choosing a president who will choose an administration and appoint Supreme Court Justices.  

Vote according to your political conviction and step aside from the media and forum sideshows.

Grow up, America!  

Oh, and to answer the question, I'd say Bill Clinton.  He actually worked with Congress and made good things happen, together, for America.

I'm voting for myself in the 2016 election.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Vote for objective people who employ real world problem solving and critical thinking. Vote for people who can answer questions like "Do you believe in evolution?", "Is climate change real?", or "Who is the best living president?".

Don't vote for people who simply repeat ideological mantras and who can't answer the fairly straightforward questions mentioned above.

boards of FL wrote:Vote for objective people who employ real world problem solving and critical thinking.  Vote for people who can answer questions like "Do you believe in evolution?", "Is climate change real?", or "Who is the best living president?".  

Don't vote for people who simply repeat ideological mantras and who can't answer the fairly straightforward questions mentioned above.

Seems shallow.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:Vote for objective people who employ real world problem solving and critical thinking.  Vote for people who can answer questions like "Do you believe in evolution?", "Is climate change real?", or "Who is the best living president?".  

Seems shallow.  

How is it shallow to prefer evidence based, real world solutions over unchanging ideology?

boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Seems shallow.  

How is it shallow to prefer evidence based, real world solutions over unchanging ideology?

Evolution has what to do with health care? Jobs? Continuing to grow and economy???

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Seems shallow.  

Evolution has what to do with health care?  Jobs?  Continuing to grow and economy???

Are you serious? Get real lady! If you don't buy evolution, and you don't buy that the earth is some 3 billion or more years old, you just blew off almost all categories of scientific endeavor -- including virtually all medicine and treatment programs, and any government headed by an administration glued to ancient bullshit from a re-written and multi edited book, the writers of which didn't know the earth orbited the sun, or how a kidney function, is a government -- and an economy doomed to failure. I can't believe you actually made such an absurd and shallow statement!

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Seems shallow.  

Evolution has what to do with health care?  Jobs?  Continuing to grow and economy???

An acknowledgement of evolution is an acknowledgement of established science. Hopefully I don't have to explain to you the role that scientific investigation or empirical examination play in things like improvements in healthcare, jobs, and the economy.

See! This has turned into whether or not I understand or believe evolution. That is not key to the questions I asked about how evolution impacts jobs, growth of the economy, etc.

You wish to find out my yes or no answer to evolution so you can pounce.

It is not relevant.

Do you not want to know more about jobs, growth of the economy, and health care?

You have to know if I'm "old school" or a relative thinker?

Screwed up, people...screwed up....

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

OK...ignoring the evolution question entirely...what platforms or programs do you support in casting your votes for public office? It's not sophmoric to focus on actual issues when supporting a candidate; it's common sense.

(...although I'm curious to know why you don't seem to want to answer the evolution question.)

Floridatexan wrote:
OK...ignoring the evolution question entirely...what platforms or programs do you support in casting your votes for public office?  It's not sophmoric to focus on actual issues when supporting a candidate; it's common sense.

(...although I'm curious to know why you don't seem to want to answer the evolution question.)

Government does not sink or swim over evolution or creationism - whatever one believes.

So if a candidate chooses not to discuss their personal view on either is not a big deal.

Common sense tells me to have a candidate that deals with the issues that a government needs to deal with and not the same debates over issues that have been established by a court (abortion) or in academia (evolution) and certainly not religious (creation.)

Come together on the things that are the issues: jobs and economic growth, etc.

The deal with Boards and Wordslinger is they want to be sure no Christian is in or near the WhiteHouse and their selective process of questions assures them they won't have to deal with anyone less than their desired outcome.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

SheWrites wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
OK...ignoring the evolution question entirely...what platforms or programs do you support in casting your votes for public office?  It's not sophmoric to focus on actual issues when supporting a candidate; it's common sense.

Government does not sink or swim over evolution or creationism - whatever one believes.

So if a candidate chooses not to discuss their personal view on either is not a big deal.  

Common sense tells me to have a candidate that deals with the issues that a government needs to deal with and not the same debates over issues that have been established by a court (abortion) or in academia (evolution) and certainly not religious (creation.)    

Come together on the things that are the issues:  jobs and economic growth, etc.

The deal with Boards and Wordslinger is they want to be sure no Christian is in or near the WhiteHouse and their selective process of questions assures them they won't have to deal with anyone less than their desired outcome.

Acknowledging the value of the theory of evolution is an indicator of the rest of the person's belief system. In other words are they functioning in the world of scientific and empirical data or would they depend on advise from people who use ouija boards and tarot cards or ancient scripts instead?

Real world problems like employment and the functioning of the economy require people who are in touch with the real world. For me it doesn't have anything to do with being anti-Christian or fearing a Christian in the oval office. It is just common sense.  

Actually I personally can't imagine even someone like Huckabee doing anything too crazy if he were to be elected just because it is so impracticable . I mean for example can you see him prohibiting high interest charges because the Bible is against "usury"? I think these guys just put on the "Christian" act to attract that branch of the GOP.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

SheWrites wrote:Government does not sink or swim over evolution or creationism - whatever one believes.

Come together on the things that are the issues:  jobs and economic growth, etc.

I have been following this thread and I think you pretty much nailed it. Zealotry swings both ways. You don't necessarily need to be religious to be a zealot. On this forum there are represented right-wing religious zealots and left-wing atheistic zealots. They are all zealots just the same.

Perhaps there needs to be a "Religion Forum" and keep this one restricted to politics only.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Government does not sink or swim over evolution or creationism - whatever one believes.

I have been following this thread and I think you pretty much nailed it. Zealotry swings both ways. You don't necessarily need to be religious to be a zealot. On this forum there are represented right-wing religious zealots and left-wing atheistic zealots. They are all zealots just the same.

Perhaps there needs to be a "Religion Forum" and keep this one restricted to politics only.

I agree, Z.

However, Word and Boards can't discuss a topic without trashing Christians. It's entangled in all their conversations - you know because they are highly educated with great brains and all Christians don't have the capacity to think as they do. It's their token ace in all conversation.

Which, as you state, is the exact polar end from Karl and Markle.

All who fall in the middle bear their polar end strikes and there goes the conversation.

Quite boring. So, on this forum, separating politics from religion is not possible.

boards of FL

boards of FL

At the end of the day, decisions need to be based on real world information.

If one party offers up the same, one-size-fits-all policy for - literally - every single possible economic condition - "Tax cuts", for example - that is ideology. That isn't real world problem solving.

Policy should be guided by current conditions and an evaluation of past results. This is common sense.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.theocracywatch.org/

The Rise of the Religious Right in the Republican Party

(Plenty of info here for those who don't understand the inherent danger of the "Christian" right.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum