Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maritime Park has become the cash cow I predicted

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/escambia-county/2015/04/09/cmpa-gets-studer-rent-proposals/25541073/

All the abuse, with not a wit of sense about how remarkable this Park was. Congratulations to the leadership who had a vision and did not back down to the rabid naysayers who could only spew negative shortsighted crap.

Yella

Yella

2seaoat wrote:http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/escambia-county/2015/04/09/cmpa-gets-studer-rent-proposals/25541073/

All the abuse, with not a wit of sense about how remarkable this Park was.  Congratulations to the leadership who had a vision and did not back down to the rabid naysayers who could only spew negative shortsighted crap.

It won't end until the fat lady sings,and I believe she is slowly waddling up toward the center stage.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hallmarkgard

Christopher J. Lewis commented on an article.
April 4 at 10:21pm ·

For the benefit of innocent PNJ readers reading this column, be forewarned that the Community Maritime Park "economic development" project is not and was never intended to be a public park. The "private" developer Community Maritime Park Associates, Inc. (CMPA), that is not part of the city government, has leased the land for 60 years just like anyone else leasing public land. The Community Maritime Park is every bit as private as The Fish House built on public land leased by a private corporation.

It is true that the CMPA has "contracted" with the City to operate and maintain the Community Maritime Park project. However, the City only got involved because Councilman Brian Spencer did not want a private corporation to get the contract creating more private sector jobs. The CMPA can terminate the agreement and hire a private company at any time if it wanted to create private sector jobs for city residents. It will not do that because the City does not charge the CMPA the full cost of doing the job.

Yes, millions of taxpayer dollars has been spent to date on what is a very one-sided public-private partnership with the CMPA bringing nothing to the table and its Trustees having nothing at risk and totally unaccountable to the public. When the massive debts are finally paid, the public cost to build the so-called "Public Improvements," such as the Community Multi-Use Facility aka Blue Wahoos Stadium or Pensacola Bayfront Stadium, will be just under $90 million. No one ever wants to discuss this money quietly reported each year in the city's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report the Council does not read and then votes to approve. The CMPA and Blue Wahoos directly contribute nothing to reduce that debt.

No downtown property owners pay "extra" taxes. The money used to pay down the debt is transferred from the General Funds of three taxing authorities – Escambia County, City of Pensacola and its dependent special district the Pensacola Downtown Improvement Board (DIB). In the city's District 1, we can all see the reduction in park maintenance as money is diverted to help pay for the Community Maritime Park. The City has even turned the water off in the drinking fountain in the park across the street from my house. The money paid to the city's Pensacola Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA), a separate legal entity, is money the taxing authorities cannot use for other countywide, citywide or districtwide purposes. No one at the PNJ understands the economics of the Community Maritime Park so the details are never reported, at least not in the PNJ. Inweekly sometimes reports the details.

The truly crazy part is that in 2010 the Pensacola City Council gave the taxpayer-built Public Improvements to the CMPA so they could mortgage them for the New Market Tax Credits Program. The public was never told and it was all done on the hush-hush. I bet that not more than a handful of people who show up for Blue Wahoos Opening Day on April 9 know that the stadium is a private facility to include the restrooms being private. You cannot go walk your dog at the Community Maritime Park or on the ball field like in a city park. Access to the site for humans and dogs is controlled by the CMPA.

On top of all that, the CMPA has so badly mismanaged its money that it relies upon corporate welfare payments from the City and CRA disguised as Miscellaneous Appropriations Agreements. As example, the CMPA has demanded that it be given 75% of the private parcel lease payments paid to the City. When the Studers pay their $100,000 sublease fee for their Maritime Park, LLC project, the City is forced to turn right around and in a separate transaction launder $75,000 back into the coffers of the CMPA. The CMPA is going to be paid a total of $2.5 million from the Beck Properties sublease. When the CMPA whines about its bad finances, the PNJ never reports the extra money it extorts from the City and CRA.

As for the ignorant whining here about condominiums, they were always anticipated from the start and in 2006 city voters voted for the Project to have what is described as a "Residential Project." The Project also includes a "Hotel Project" and a "Retail Project." All of the naysayers who complain about the inclusion of Residences, a Hotel and Retail Shops in the Community Maritime Park economic development project, to include city voters who voted YES or NO in 2006, are the same ones too lazy to have read the Master Development Agreement and Master Lease Agreements in 2006 or now.

Hallmarkgard

CMPA chair's comments don't sit well with board

Mark Abramson, pnj.com 8:38 p.m. CDT April 8, 2015
Studer Deal-Maritime Park

Members of the Community Maritime Park Association are a little bit rankled by their chairman's view that they didn't keep up with the "wheeling and dealing" that led to a proposed agreement to develop prime waterfront property downtown.

CMPA Chairman Jim Reeves made those comments while applauding a memorandum from Mayor Ashton Hayward that urged the city to approve a proposed 120-room hotel and 200 residences at Community Maritime Park.

The CMPA voted last month to let the City Council vote on the development after CBRE, the real estate company marketing the land, inserted a "success fee" that could pay the company more than $2.5 million as a commission for the value of the development rather than a 4 percent commission for the lease of the land, which would be about $450,000. The $65 million development was proposed by Miami-based MCM-BAP, who responded to a request for proposal (RFP) by CBRE to develop the property.

"My reaction is that our listing agreement, which was between CBRE, the city and CMPA stated all marketing agreements were to be approved by the CMPA," CMPA member Fred Gunther said. "We received a copy of the RFP after it had already been issued, so that is a problem. It should have been sent to us for approval."

Gunther said CBRE is a great company, but he declined to comment about the contract. And the City Council voted earlier this week to table the idea of canceling the contract with CBRE at least until they can consult an attorney on it.

CMPA member Mark Taylor said he remembers the success fee being talked about last fall, and he believes the board was staying on top of it.

"I disagree with that," Taylor said about Reeves' comments.

Taylor added that he was fine with not voting on approving the RFP because he thought it was something Hayward wanted to get the land developed. Hayward pointed out in his memo that all of the land at the park, except for two parcels, including the Blue Wahoos baseball stadium, haven't been developed despite the city's efforts to do so for the past three years.

"I would say we were keeping up with it," CMPA member Jim Jones said.

The board may be able to keep up with what was going on with CBRE's contract, but it is hard for them to stay on top of what is going on behind the scenes at City Hall to get the land developed, Jones added.

PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL

Hayward opens door to hotel deal at Maritime Park

CMPA Alexis Bolin said regardless of Reeves' comments, if CBRE was going to do anything different, like what it did in issuing the RFP and adding the success fee, that should have gone to the City Council for approval.

"We voted to send it to the City Council because there are a lot of things above our ability to approve it (the agreement with MCM-BAP), like the 99-year lease for the land," Bolin said.

Hallmarkgard

CJ Lewis says:
   April 9, 2015 at 1:13 pm

In truth, it would be very interesting to know “the impact of the team on the city.” For example, how many city residents have jobs working for the Blue Wahoos in some capacity? How much money does Blue Wahoos games generate for the city’s treasury? What is the directly attributable economic impact outside of the stadium? Many people wrongly believe that money going to the CMPA is money going to the City of Pensacola. Nothing could be further from the truth. The CMPA is a self-licking ice cream cone that mostly exists to take from the City to give to itself. If the City and CRA ever withdrew its regular subsidies to the CMPA, to include handing over 75% of the private parcel lease payments the CMPA demands it receive, the CMPA would collapse.

In 2005, UWF produced a study – Economic Impact of Proposed Community Park – that many claimed proved the Community Maritime Park economic development project would be a financial success. When I asked for a copy of the economic viability study the Council had to complete before executing the Master Lease Agreement with the CMPA, I was first referred to this old UWF study. When I pressed, I was told that the City was working on its own, new study. In truth, no such study was ever begun or finished. The City substituted an internal CMPA study that was a financial analysis of its master developer that it later fired. Because no Council members actually read the study, none noticed. I complained in vain. The Council then gleefully proceeded to vote 10-0 to certify as complete its study never even begun, a point verified by City Manager Al Coby in response to my public records request a few months later. Perhaps the most important study never done in the history of the City was falsified to accelerate turning some dirt by a few months. Worse, much of the groundwork for the Community Maritime Park was, as someone with the State Attorney’s Office so well put it, “pencil whipped.”

Fast forward to today, and we have no objective measure of the net economic impact of the Community Maritime Park as a whole or its piece parts such as the Blue Wahoos. The 2005 UWF study devotes three pages to Baseball to include assessing, “Much of the revenue generated by the team might have instead been spent on other entertainment if the baseball team were not present.” In 2010, we had the Pelicans playing at UWF, its economic impact that year presumably knowable. In 2011, the Blue Wahoos began playing at the Community Maritime Park. All along the way, up to the present, Downtown Pensacola has been rebounding in part to extensive city subsidies, the efforts of individual business people and perhaps even to the Obama Administration policies. At the end of the 2015 season, it would be very interesting if someone hired UWF to objectively identify and describe the net economic impact “in the city” directly attributable to the Blue Wahoos. I think we can reasonably say that people attending a game on Sunday would probably not be spending their money elsewhere. However, on the other days, to what extent would the money spent on Blue Wahoos games, and most people probably spend more for food and drink than a ticket, have been spent for something else whether a movie and popcorn or dinner at Dharma Blue?

Perhaps such a study could make a point of telling readers the truths the Council does not want the public to know, such as that Wahoos Stadium is owned by the CMPA not the public as they were promised when they voted in 2006 or that the total debt service on the municipal bonds, payable only by taxpayers with the CMPA and Blue Wahoos not on the hook and not contributing at all, will total up to just under $90 million not counting the negative impact on the Federal government treasury. This massively expensive project imposes a massive annual drain upon all city “and” county taxpayers. Worse, for so long as the Council continues to keep the Community Redevelopment Agency in existence, claiming that streets like South Palafox are slum & blighted, along with Aragon and Port Royal, when property values go up downtown, 95% of the new money from a 1983 baseline must be spent back downtown ensuring that those of us living in the northern reaches of the city feel little to no benefit from the Community Maritime Park that is not a “public” park no matter how hard the “private” CMPA wants us to believe.

Hallmarkgard

Maren's Blog Dot Biz

Thursday, April 9, 2015
This is a Affordable LUXURY UNIT CONDO PROJECT!

Below is a link to the RFP response of the Miami Group:

http://pensacolatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/01/MCM-BAP-Presentation-1-28-15.pdf

A $45 million “boutique residential” development is planned for waterfront parcels 7 and 8 with a total of 200 units ranging in size from 700 square feet to 1,400 square feet.

I am not a land use expert. But the CBRE / Miami Dudes Proposal says they want up to 200 "boutique residential" (read CONDO UNITS) on the site. Notice the way they combine the acreage.

The two parcels they want are parcels 7 and 8.
Parcel 7 (next to Nicks) - 1.66 acres
Parcel 8 (where the museum was) - 1.43 acres

http://cityofpensacola.com/DocumentCenter/View/1684

Below is the waterfront redevelopment district guidelines referenced in the RFP:

http://cityofpensacola.com/DocumentCenter/View/1685

Multi-family Residential at a maximum density of 60 dwelling units per acre.

So lets do some math.

Parcel 7 -1.66 x 60 units = 100 units (so they could do 100 there)
Parcel 8 -1.43 x 60 units = 86 units (Not gonna get to 120 units here)

Don't think we can get to 200 units on both parcels.

The RFP response states parking under the structure with units on top.

Are they aware that the Waterfront Development District has a building height cap?

Jumbo Shrimp
Military Intelligence
Big Baby
Affordable Luxury Boutique Condos

Got it??

Posted by Maren DeWeese at 8:21 AM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a discrepancy in the size of the parcels between the city’s documents and the RFP issued by CBRE. The city says that the land is 3.09 acres while the RFP states that the land is only 2.35 acres. I suspect that the city is including Devilliers Plaza in their total. So unless the city has decided to eliminate the last vestige of public access to the water, CBRE’s total of 2.35 acres is the correct one.

Therefore,

200 units X 2 cars per unit = 400 parking spaces
400 parking spaces X 400 sf per car = 160,000 sf of required parking
160,000 sf / 43,560 sf per acre = 3.67 acres of required parking

Add another acre for the swimming pool, clubhouse, and gymnasium as described in the RFP, not to mention a minimum amount of landscaping.

Therefore,

it would take almost 5 acres of land to support 200 condo units. That’s twice what is available, so CBRE has grossly misrepresented the property in its RFP.

Or,

the developer could build a multi-level parking garage which is (a.) cost prohibitive and (b.) further worsens the building height problem.

Or,

the developer could provide a lot fewer parking spaces which would (a.) make it hard to sell/rent the units and (b.) make it almost impossible to find a lender to lend money for the project. (The city will tell you that NO parking is required and that you will actually enjoy parking your car on Garden Street and walking to your home in the rain, all the while toting several bags of groceries!)

In any case, an asphalt parking lot and/or a multi-level parking garage are not conducive to a pedestrian streetscape. Our community will never, ever see the 1910 fishing village that they thought they were getting when they voted to approve this project.
April 9, 2015 at 12:59 PM

2seaoat

Its a beautiful thing to see the whiners still whining about nothing but success. You brought too much success to Pensacola......oh my.

All those words, but not one word that the lease payments exceed the costs and are now positive cash flowing.........too painful to tell the truth......the park was going to fail and remain empty, and only 50k people a year were going to baseball games.....yada yada yada......the same folks speaking the same crap.....how about a big old......I WAS WRONG......nope....just more smoke and mirrors. What a beautiful park to visit and enjoy the waterfront.

Yella

Yella

Hallmarkgard wrote:CJ Lewis says:
   April 9, 2015 at 1:13 pm

In truth, it would be very interesting to know “the impact of the team on the city.” For example, how many city residents have jobs working for the Blue Wahoos in some capacity? How much money does Blue Wahoos games generate for the city’s treasury? What is the directly attributable economic impact outside of the stadium? Many people wrongly believe that money going to the CMPA is money going to the City of Pensacola. Nothing could be further from the truth. The CMPA is a self-licking ice cream cone that mostly exists to take from the City to give to itself. If the City and CRA ever withdrew its regular subsidies to the CMPA, to include handing over 75% of the private parcel lease payments the CMPA demands it receive, the CMPA would collapse.

Excellent reporting, Hallmark, I knew a little of this but nothing like you have gathered. Perhaps this will wake up people who are blithely ignorant.

In 2005, UWF produced a study – Economic Impact of Proposed Community Park – that many claimed proved the Community Maritime Park economic development project would be a financial success. When I asked for a copy of the economic viability study the Council had to complete before executing the Master Lease Agreement with the CMPA, I was first referred to this old UWF study. When I pressed, I was told that the City was working on its own, new study. In truth, no such study was ever begun or finished. The City substituted an internal CMPA study that was a financial analysis of its master developer that it later fired. Because no Council members actually read the study, none noticed. I complained in vain. The Council then gleefully proceeded to vote 10-0 to certify as complete its study never even begun, a point verified by City Manager Al Coby in response to my public records request a few months later. Perhaps the most important study never done in the history of the City was falsified to accelerate turning some dirt by a few months. Worse, much of the groundwork for the Community Maritime Park was, as someone with the State Attorney’s Office so well put it, “pencil whipped.”

Fast forward to today, and we have no objective measure of the net economic impact of the Community Maritime Park as a whole or its piece parts such as the Blue Wahoos. The 2005 UWF study devotes three pages to Baseball to include assessing, “Much of the revenue generated by the team might have instead been spent on other entertainment if the baseball team were not present.” In 2010, we had the Pelicans playing at UWF, its economic impact that year presumably knowable. In 2011, the Blue Wahoos began playing at the Community Maritime Park. All along the way, up to the present, Downtown Pensacola has been rebounding in part to extensive city subsidies, the efforts of individual business people and perhaps even to the Obama Administration policies. At the end of the 2015 season, it would be very interesting if someone hired UWF to objectively identify and describe the net economic impact “in the city” directly attributable to the Blue Wahoos. I think we can reasonably say that people attending a game on Sunday would probably not be spending their money elsewhere. However, on the other days, to what extent would the money spent on Blue Wahoos games, and most people probably spend more for food and drink than a ticket, have been spent for something else whether a movie and popcorn or dinner at Dharma Blue?

Perhaps such a study could make a point of telling readers the truths the Council does not want the public to know, such as that Wahoos Stadium is owned by the CMPA not the public as they were promised when they voted in 2006 or that the total debt service on the municipal bonds, payable only by taxpayers with the CMPA and Blue Wahoos not on the hook and not contributing at all, will total up to just under $90 million not counting the negative impact on the Federal government treasury. This massively expensive project imposes a massive annual drain upon all city “and” county taxpayers. Worse, for so long as the Council continues to keep the Community Redevelopment Agency in existence, claiming that streets like South Palafox are slum & blighted, along with Aragon and Port Royal, when property values go up downtown, 95% of the new money from a 1983 baseline must be spent back downtown ensuring that those of us living in the northern reaches of the city feel little to no benefit from the Community Maritime Park that is not a “public” park no matter how hard the “private” CMPA wants us to believe.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

2seaoat

His statement is absolutely untrue.  There was approximately 45 million directly involved in the entire project.  The bonds get paid down by the positive cash flow from rents.  These people keep telling their stories because they were wrong at the git go, and are really wrong now.

Oh by the way......when the bonds are paid down.....it is all gravy.

He is still talking about the Pelicans where the naysayers were saying only 50k would attend.....what planet did he come from. What a Face

Hallmarkgard

Feel free to post a reply to Mr C J Lewis in either the PNJ or Ricks Blog. I am sure he will welcome your comments.

2seaoat

He used to call me a studerite on the PNJ and he was the one who argued hardest for only 50k and there would never be a minor league team. I won every one of my debates with him.....now he is suffering irrelevant syndrome and is completely irrelevant. The success of the park was obvious from the beginning and he cannot eat enough crow.

Hallmarkgard

LOL  Wrong then and wrong now.  Serious issues at Studerville.  The CMPA has choked the chicken. How is the ticket surcharge working out?

2seaoat

Serious issues

Yep......fighting over how to divide all those profits.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum