Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Saudi Prince - $100/Barrel Oil is History

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Q: What is moving prices? Is this a supply or a demand story? Some say there's too much oil in the world, and that is pressuring prices. But others say the global economy is slow, so it's weak demand.

A: It is both. We have an oversupply. Iraq right now is producing very much. Even in Libya, where they have civil war, they are still producing. The U.S. is now producing shale oil and gas. So, there's oversupply in the market. But also demand is weak. We all know Japan is hovering around 0% growth. China said that they'll grow 6% or 7%. India's growth has been cut in half. Germany acknowledged just two months ago they will cut the growth potential from 2% to 1%. There's less demand, and there's oversupply. And both are recipes for a crash in oil. And that's what happened. It's a no-brainer.

Q: Will prices continue to fall?

A: If supply stays where it is, and demand remains weak, you better believe it is gonna go down more. But if some supply is taken off the market, and there's some growth in demand, prices may go up. But I'm sure we're never going to see $100 anymore. I said a year ago, the price of oil above $100 is artificial. It's not correct.

Q: What about the theory of the pressure on the Russians? There's a theory that the U.S. and the Saudis have agreed to keep prices low to pressure Russia because of what Putin has done in Ukraine.

A: Two words: baloney and rubbish. I'm telling you, there's no way Saudis will do this. Because Saudi Arabia is hurting as much as Russia, period. Now, we don't show it because of our big reserves. But I'll tell you Saudi Arabia and Russia are in bed together here. And both are being hurt simultaneously. And there's no political conspiracy whatsoever against Russia. Because we are shooting ourselves in the foot if we do that.

Q: You said the price of oil will dampen the shale revolution in America. How?

A: Shale oil and shale gas, these are new products in the market. And we see big ranges. no one knows for sure what price is the breaking point for shale. Wells have a higher production cost. And very clearly these will run out of business, or at least not be economical. At $50, will it still be economically feasible? Unclear. This is a very much developing story.

Q: Let me switch to the terrorism in Paris. Terrorists killed the cartoonist who joked about the prophet Mohammed. What is your opinion on this?

A: What took place is a horrendous crime that no one can permit and accept. And unfortunately these small minority people are ruining the name of Islam. Now the whole world — Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists — have to come together and be united, and be sure to eliminate those minority of the Muslim community. Those that hijacked our religion and try to eliminate them not only militarily. That's happening right now against ISIS (the Islamic State) by the Americans and their allies. But also mentally, educationally and culturally, also. This is a disease we are getting at now. This really will put us in the Middle Ages unfortunately. It feels like the Middle Ages right now. But I think that the world is united. I just heard, for example, (U.S. Secretary of State) John Kerry giving a speech in French, which was very nice of him to do. It was a calming process for the French people. My foundation is in communication with the presidential palace in France and the French government, to see what we can do to ... (support) these families and these victims, innocent victims that were under attack. And then we have to show that Islam really is united with Christianity, and Judaism, and other religions in the world to limit this disease from from Earth.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/bartiromo/2015/01/11/bartiromo-saudi-prince-alwaleed-oil-100-barrel/21484911/

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I saw this yesterday. There was a lot at work in driving the price down. I am still scratching my head at what unseen political forces might be at work here.  I wouldn't count on it the price being very low for too long--the 0.1% are invested in energy and they like to make money off the backs of the common folks.

What is really puzzling is that these comments originated from the Saudis; a country which routinely lies about its remaining oil reserves and is on the road to becoming a net oil importer itself at some point in the future--I have read by 2030, even.

Well, one good war or Middle Eastern crisis could vault the price back to $100+. We should enjoy $2.00 gasoline while it lasts......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I saw this yesterday. There was a lot at work in driving the price down. I am still scratching my head at what unseen political forces might be at work here.  I wouldn't count on it the price being very low for too long--the 0.1% are invested in energy and they like to make money off the backs of the common folks.

What is really puzzling is that these comments originated from the Saudis; a country which routinely lies about its remaining oil reserves and is on the road to becoming a net oil importer itself at some point in the future--I have read by 2030, even.

Well, one good war or Middle Eastern crisis could vault the price back to $100+. We should enjoy $2.00 gasoline while it lasts......

The Saudi comes across as a straight shooter. And yes I know, I've been fooled by "straight shooters" before so who knows.
But just because you read some "peak oil" stuff, remember that we read a lots of stuff these days that aint always true.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Yep Z was telling everyone 200 per barrel oil was just around the corner. It was wishful thinking due to his putting all of his investment money in energy.

KarlRove wrote:Yep Z was telling everyone 200 per barrel oil was just around the corner. It was wishful thinking due to his putting all of his investment money in energy.

He also claimed repeatedly that supply was in decline... which technically is true... but not an issue in this lifetime.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

KarlRove wrote:Yep Z  was telling everyone 200 per barrel oil was just around the corner. It was wishful thinking due to his putting all of his investment money in energy.

Well, maybe Israel will do something stupid, like attack Iran's nuclear facilities and that will send the price skyrocketing back up. It wouldn't take much to send it skyrocketing to the sky--just one good international crisis somewhere.... Not that I want that to happen (I do not).

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:
KarlRove wrote:Yep Z  was telling everyone 200 per barrel oil was just around the corner. It was wishful thinking due to his putting all of his investment money in energy.

He also claimed repeatedly that supply was in decline... which technically is true... but not an issue in this lifetime.

The world's oil supply will not outlast the 21st Century. There will not be enough oil produced, world-wide, to meet expected demand in the latter portions of the 2100s. I will take a WAG and say it will get tighter by the year beyond 2070. Lucky for us, the shale revolution gave us another 50 years or so of supply at reasonable prices. Without this resource, there would be pressures on supply after 2020.

This is why it is imperative to promote things like nuclear fusion and advanced solar technologies, and develop the infrastructure that supports these technologies. Needless to say $250 oil would be a great impetus to make this happen.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

The world's oil supply will not outlast the 21st Century. There will not be enough oil produced, world-wide, to meet expected demand in the latter portions of the 2100s. I will take a WAG and say it will get tighter by the year beyond 2070. Lucky for us, the shale revolution gave us another 50 years or so of supply at reasonable prices. Without this resource, there would be pressures on supply after 2020.

This is why it is imperative to promote things like nuclear fusion and advanced solar technologies, and develop the infrastructure that supports these technologies. Needless to say $250 oil would be a great impetus to make this happen.

Given some latitude to innovate and the liberty to fail... I have no doubts that humankind will solve that issue.

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Given some latitude to innovate and the liberty to fail... I have no doubts that humankind will solve that issue.

Huh???

knothead wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

Huh???

Innovation requires the ability to take chances... and unless bad ideas are allowed to fail there really is no liberty.

Major inventions and solutions are usually discovered or conceptualized by a single man... not huge govt programs.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I have confidence we can muddle through this. The future will be an electrified society, with the electricity largely coming from multiple means, with renewables gradually pushing out the old ways of generating power. The concept of having a central power utility will change as distributed generation takes hold--this will come from the solar rooftops you will see in the coming years. Companies like Gulf Power will adapt or die a slow and painful death.

Those of you who have purchased hybrid vehicles were forward in your outlook. The internal combustion engine is outdated technology and will one day go the way of the steam-engine. Just give it some time. Moving transportation away from liquid fuels--a gradual process--will push this momentum.

There will always be a need for oil and gas, so the energy industry will not die once petroleum isn't being burned for fuel anymore. You could not type on this forum without plastics--and that comes from oil. As does a myriad of other products.

And let wingnuts and other naysayers say none of this will ever happen. They will become like those who did not want to part with their horses as the automobile became ascendant in transportation......

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I have confidence we can muddle through this. The future will be an electrified society, with the electricity largely coming from multiple means, with renewables gradually pushing out the old ways of generating power. The concept of having a central power utility will change as distributed generation takes hold--this will come from the solar rooftops you will see in the coming years. Companies like Gulf Power will adapt or die a slow and painful death.

Those of you who have purchased hybrid vehicles were forward in your outlook. The internal combustion engine is outdated technology and will one day go the way of the steam-engine. Just give it some time. Moving transportation away from liquid fuels--a gradual process--will push this momentum.

There will always be a need for oil and gas, so the energy industry will not die once petroleum isn't being burned for fuel anymore. You could not type on this forum without plastics--and that comes from oil. As does a myriad of other products.

And let wingnuts and other naysayers say none of this will ever happen. They will become like those who did not want to part with their horses as the automobile became ascendant in transportation......

I agree with your last paragraph.  Technology will eventually get us beyond fossil fuels.  There is absolutely no reason to believe otherwise.  Everything in history supports that.

But that is one thing,  and the present and near future is another thing.

When I bought 25 grand worth of Tesla stock last year I was betting on it all happening sooner than is realistic.  When I bailed on that stock a few months later by then I realized I was rushing the clock. Thank god I was able to get out breaking even. If I still held it today it would be worth 25% less than my investment and it seems to have hit it's peak for a while.
We're still in the fossil fuel age.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum