Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bob's History Class (the history you were never taught in school).

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My discovery that local historians have lied about Pensacola being the first European settlement, has had a side effect. I am now obsessed with history as a result of it.
This is the second time it's happened in my life.
When I was in high school, the history teacher was so boring that I thought history was a punishment, like being in detention. That history teacher ("Mr. Ezell") so turned me off to history, that it took ten years to recover from it.
And then one Sunday afternoon I went to the UWF library to read Popular Science, Mechanics and Electronics magazines. And because of that I discovered all the old newspapers on microfilm. That resulted in an almost "born again" experience of being totally fascinated with history for the first time.
Except that history was limited to the period of the newsapers in the library collection (starting at about the year 1900). So while I absorbed all that from newspapers, I still had no inkling of any earlier history.

Fast forward to now. And all this "first settlement" stuff got me to googling which has now resulted in me becoming obsessed with 500 year old history.

And as long as this obsession has hold of me, I'm going to share what I learn with posts to this thread.

Today's first lesson: "Columbus Was In Cahoots with Muslims"

But before we address that, I first want to share something else with you.
Back then there was a doctor in Florence, Italy named Toscanelli who fancied himself a geographer and mapmaker. Toscanelli conceived a map of the Atlantic Ocean and it was that map which gave Columbus his notion of what the world was.
If you've never seen this map, it's a humdinger. Just to look at it is a trip when you begin to realize this is really all Columbus had to go on.
(note: the correct outline of north america is shown in light blue tint and of course was not part of the map)

Bob's History Class (the history you were never taught in school). Toscan11

As you're looking at that map, I want you to think about this. Only 500 years (a blip in human history) before all we know today which includes about every square mile of the surface of the Moon and Mars, this is all humankind knew about the world we live in. In other words, only 500 years ago, nobody didn't know shit. And what they even THOUGHT they knew then, was all wrong.
This should really get you to wondering about what we THINK we know now about the Cosmos. Just because since that time we started using something called "science", some humans think we know everything ONCE AGAIN.
I seriously doubt that and I wish I could be here a thousand years from now to see how that plays out.

But now I've gone off-topic and am trying to teach a Futurism class so let's digress back to the history class and the history lesson.

Columbus captained the larger of his three ships, the Santa Maria.
But of course he needed two other dudes to captain the Nina and the Pinta.
What you probably don't know is that Columbus chose Muslims for that.
Yes, that's right, Muslims. The two were brothers. The Pinzon brothers.
The Pinzon brothers, Martin and Vicente, were "Morisco" Muslims.
These were the Muslims who were given a choice, to either "convert" to Christianity, or to get the hell out of Spain. And in fact, all of them were kicked out of Spain later on in the 1600's because the Spaniards thought they were all secretly practicing the forbidden religion anyway.
So there you have it, the rest of the story.

(ADDENDUM: if there are spelling and grammatical errors in this history lesson it's because it's enough work to type all this crap and I aint gonna spend more time to edit it)

LOL Mr Ezell.........Tall skinny guy with black horn rim glasses ? I think he might have started out over at Blount.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hallmarkgrad1 wrote:LOL Mr Ezell.........Tall skinny guy with black horn rim glasses ? I think he might have started out over at Blount.

I remember the black horn rim glasses. But if he was at Blount first, by the time he got to PHS he musta put on weight cause I remember him then as being pudgy. But it sure sounds like him other than that.
When would it have been when he was at Blount? It would have been about 66 or 67 when he came to at PHS.

He came to class wearing coveralls. The word we got was that he was a farmer in Brewton whose crops had dried up. So then he got a teacher certificate and started "teaching" (at least we were told that's what it was).
What he called teaching was this. We came to class. He said "okay class read chapter so and so" in the most boring history text ever written.
At that point we all put our heads down and slept until the bell rang.
Sadly, I'm not exaggerating this in any way. That's what his history class was.

It's one of the few things I remember about being in a class at high school.
But that class I remember like it was yesterday. It made me loathe the word "history" for a long time afterwards.

Last edited by Bob on 4/4/2013, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Oh I almost forgot. After he told us "read chapter so and so", he then pulled seed catalogs out of his desk and read them for the remainder of the class.

He should have been put at Tate teaching agriculture. Might have been successful at that.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Hallmarkgrad1 wrote:LOL Mr Ezell.........Tall skinny guy with black horn rim glasses ? I think he might have started out over at Blount.

I remember the black horn rim glasses. But if he was at Blount first, by the time he got to PHS he musta put on weight cause I remember him then as being pudgy. But it sure sounds like him other than that.
When would it have been when he was at Blount? It would have been about 66 or 67 when he came to at PHS.

He came to class wearing coveralls. The word we got was that he was a farmer in Brewton whose crops had dried up. So then he got a teacher certificate and started "teaching" (at least we were told that's what it was).
What he called teaching was this. We came to class. He said "okay class read chapter so and so" in the most boring history text ever written.
At that point we all put our heads down and slept until the bell rang.
Sadly, I'm not exaggerating this in any way. That's what his history class was.

It's one of the few things I remember about being in a class at high school.
But that class I remember like it was yesterday. It made me loathe the word "history" for a long time afterwards.

Sounds like my precalculus class.

The teacher would drone on and on from the textbook, while putting incomprehensible shit on the overhead projector.

What made it even worse was that it was right after lunch, so I was already sleepy from having just eaten.

And, thus ended Sal's promising career in mathematics.

lol

The worse teacher I ever had was Ms Harper. What a Bitch. It is a long story but she got me expelled in my Jr. year. I had to go to summer school and that was the best thing that every happened in my High school career. I had a fantastic teacher and she encouraged us to read and write and also gave us a glimpse into theater. I later went on to PJC and studied theater under Robert Jones.
I was a "Student assistant" as they called it back then. Helped build sets, property manager for plays, played bit parts(I was a terrible actor)
Like you, I turned one of my most hated classes into one of my favourites.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm totally convinced the only way we're ever going have a decent public education system is if we can can find some way to separate the teachers from the hacks. Separate the actual teachers from the ones who need to be doing something else. And then rid the system of those.
I don't have a clue how or even if that can be accomplished. But I feel pretty confident that the competency of most school boards and school superintendents we've had up until now aint gonna be able to do it.

And the three public school teachers I know personally will tell you exactly the same thing.

I will not hi jack your history lesson but we will continue this in another thread. Good Subject............... Bad teachers

Bingo!!! I figured out who Ezell was. You are right, the most hated class at PHS. I was thinking of a Mr Peterson who taught English at Blount. Dont know why I got them confused.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hallmarkgrad1 wrote:I will not hi jack your history lesson but we will continue this in another thread. Good Subject............... Bad teachers

This time the class does not belong to Mr. Ezell. This class belongs to us. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image; or we will make it flutter. And yes we will hijack the whole thing if we choose to.

This is now the official theme song for our class...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

from a blog about that song. this should be read from the bottom up to put it in proper context. so scroll down and read the last blog entry first.

I like the hippie free society image. But even the Beats had to buy their property. It ain't free.
- Jim, West Palm Beach, FL

Yes, esskayess. Paul McCartney could probably buy out Donald Trump. Yet he is considered a 'man of the people'.
- Jim, West Palm Beach, FL

Jay: Bands (and actors) who scream the 'no possessions...money and corporations are evil' schlock reach the depths of hypocrisy.
- esskayess, Dallas, TX

Mike: At least a collection plate gives you the option. The government variety doesn't.
- esskayess, Dallas, TX

If the bum got a haircut and took that job at the beginning, he'd have money for the collection plate!!!!
- Matt, Vancouver, BC

No....but he DOES have a collection plate.
- Mike, Matawan, NJ

This is a great song. Everywhere else he is rejected or restricted, but welcomed in the Christian Church. Jesus doesn't have signs!
- Bryan, Fort Washington, MD

the thing about it being about communism is bolshevick(bs) i think its about how signs are restictive and annoying.
- dan, baltimore, MD

This song is about communism, pure and simple. He's against private property.
- James, Gettysburg, PA

It's a contradiction. I'm sure both bands had signs outside of their concerts stating "Must have a ticket to enter". To quote the song "What gives you the right?". And I'm sure with the royalties these bands have made they have invested in real estate (and posted "No Trespassing" signs).
- Jay, Atlanta, GA

This song shows how an individual must decide whether individuality of expression or conformity to societal standards is the preferred way to live. The singer's choices are with the former, and he then, must put up with the partiality of others as a consequence of that choice.
- Rich, Westons Mills, NY

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I hope you'll continue your history class, Bob. I enjoy it.

What I want to know is how in the heck Toscanelli knew even the general shape of North America!

EDIT: I missed the "light blue tint" part of your description of the map, Bob. Now I see that Toscanelli knew nothing

I think Columbus must have jumped in his boat and followed the compass due west in hopes of hitting the Bay of Cathay Mangi. Just think about how dangerous that journey would be today.

Heres my Homework
Excerpted from Who Was First? Copyright © 2007 by Russell Freedman.

For a long time, most people believed that Christopher Columbus was the first explorer to "discover" America—the first to make a successful round-trip voyage across the Atlantic. But in recent years, as new evidence came to light, our understanding of history has changed. We know now that Columbus was among the last explorers to reach the Americas, not the first.

Five hundred years before Columbus, a daring band of Vikings led by Leif Eriksson set foot in North America and established a settlement. And long before that, some scholars say, the Americas seem to have been visited by seafaring travelers from China, and possibly by visitors from Africa and even Ice Age Europe.

A popular legend suggests an additional event: According to an ancient manuscript, a band of Irish monks led by Saint Brendan sailed an ox-hide boat westward in the sixth century in search of new lands. After seven years they returned home and reported that they had discovered a land covered with luxuriant vegetation, believed by some people today to have been Newfoundland.

All along, of course, the two continents we now call North and South America had already been "discovered." Before European explorers arrived, the Americas were home to tens of millions of native peoples. While those Native American groups differed greatly from one another, they all performed rituals and ceremonies, songs and dances, that brought back to mind and heart memories of the ancestors who had come before them and given them their place on Earth.

Who were the ancestors of those Native Americans? Where did they come from, when did they arrive in the Americas, and how did they make their epic journeys?

As we dig deeper and deeper into the past, we find that the Americas have always been lands of immigrants, lands that have been "discovered" time and again by different peoples coming from different parts of the world over the course of countless generations—going far back to the prehistoric past, when a band of Stone Age hunters first set foot in what truly was an unexplored New World.

1. Admiral of the Ocean Sea

Christopher Columbus was having trouble with his crew. His fleet of three small sailing ships had left the Canary Islands nearly three weeks earlier, heading west across the uncharted Ocean Sea, as the Atlantic was known. He had expected to reach China or Japan by now, but there was still no sign of land.

None of the sailors had ever been so long away from the sight of land, and as the days passed, they grew increasingly restless and fearful. The Ocean Sea was known also as the Sea of Darkness. Hideous monsters were said to lurk beneath the waves—venomous sea serpents and giant crabs that could rise up from the deep and crush a ship along with its crew. And if the Earth was flat, as many of the men believed, then they might fall off the edge of the world and plunge into that fiery abyss where the sun sets in the west. What's more, Columbus was a foreigner—a red-headed Italian commanding a crew of tough seafaring Spaniards—and that meant he couldn't be trusted.

Finally, the men demanded that Columbus turn back and head for home. When he refused, some of the sailors whispered together of mutiny. They wanted to kill the admiral by throwing him overboard. But, for the moment, the crisis passed. Columbus managed to calm his men and persuade them to be patient a while longer.

"I am having serious trouble with the crew . . . complaining that they will never be able to return home," he wrote in his journal. "They have said that it is insanity and suicidal on their part to risk their lives following the madness of a foreigner. . . . I am told by a few trusted men (and these are few in number!) that if I persist in going onward, the best course of action will be to throw me into the sea some night."

All along, Columbus had been keeping two sets of logs. One, which he kept secretly and showed to no one, was accurate, recording the distance really sailed each day. The other log, which he showed to his crew, hoping to reassure them that they were nowhere near the edge of the world, deliberately underestimated the miles they had covered since leaving Spain.

They sailed on for another two weeks and still saw nothing. There were more rumblings of protest and complaint from the crew. The men seemed willing to endure no more. On October 10, Columbus announced that he would give a fine silk coat to the man who first sighted land. The sailors greeted that offer with glum silence. What good was a silk coat in the middle of the Sea of Darkness?

Later that day, Columbus spotted a flock of birds flying toward the southwest—a sign that land was close. He ordered his ships to follow the birds.

The next night, the moon rose in the east shortly before midnight. About two hours later, at two A.M. on October 12, a sailor on one of Columbus's ships, the Pinta, saw a white stretch of beach, shouted, "Land! Land!" and fired a cannon. At dawn, the three ships dropped anchor in the calm, blue waters just offshore. They had arrived at an island in what we now call the Bahamas.

Excited crew members crowded the decks. People were standing on the beach, waiting to greet them. The natives had no weapons other than wooden fishing spears, and they were practically naked. Who were these people? And what place was this?

Columbus supposed that his fleet had landed on one of the many islands that Marco Polo had reported lay just off the coast of Asia. They must have reached the Indies, he thought—islands reputedly near India and known today as the East Indies. So he decided that those people on the beach must be "Indians," the name by which they have been known ever since. China and Japan, he believed, lay a bit farther to the north.

Though Christopher Columbus was an Italian born in Genoa, he had lived for years in Portugal, where he worked as a bookseller, a mapmaker, and a sailor. He had sailed on Portuguese voyages as far as Iceland in the North Atlantic, and down the coast of Africa in the South Atlantic. During his days at sea, he read books on history, geography, and travel.

Like most educated people at the time, Columbus believed that the Earth was round—not flat, as some ignorant folks still insisted. The Ocean Sea was seen as a great expanse of water surrounding the land mass of Eurasia and Africa, which stretched from Europe in the west to China and Japan in the far distant east. If a ship left the coast of Europe, sailed west toward the setting sun, and circled the globe, it would reach the shores of Asia—or so Columbus thought.

In the past, European explorers and traders had taken the overland route to the Far East, with its precious silks and spices. They traveled for months by horse and camel along the Silk Road, an ancient caravan trail that crossed deserts and climbed dizzying mountain peaks. Marco Polo had followed the Silk Road on his famous journey to China two centuries earlier. But recently, this land route to Asia, controlled in part by the Turks, had been closed to Europeans. And in any case, Columbus was convinced that he could find an easier and faster route to Asia by sailing west.

There were plenty of stories circulating in those years about the possibility of sailing directly from Europe to Asia, an idea first considered by the ancient Greeks. Columbus owned a book called Imago Mundi, or Image of the World, by a French scholar, Pierre d'Ailly, who argued that the Ocean Sea wasn't as wide as it seemed and that a ship driven by favorable winds could cross it in a few days. Next to that passage in the margin of the book, Columbus had written: "There is no reason to think that the ocean covers half the earth."

In 1484, he proposed his bold scheme of sailing west to China to King John II of Portugal, a monarch who had paid much attention to the discovery of new lands. Portugal was Europe's leading maritime power. Portuguese explorers in search of slaves, ivory, and gold had already discovered rich kingdoms and colossal rivers in western Africa and would soon reach the Cape of Good Hope at Africa's southern tip. From there, they would be able to sail across the Indian Ocean to the famed Spice Islands of southeast Asia.

King John listened to what Columbus had to say, then submitted the Italian sailor's plan to a committee of mapmakers, astronomers, and geographers. The distinguished experts declared that Asia must be much farther away than Columbus thought. They said that no expedition could be fitted out with enough food and water to sail across such an enormous expanse of sea.

Rejected by the Portuguese king, Columbus decided to approach King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain, a country he had never before visited. Well-connected friends gave him letters of introduction to the inner circle of the Spanish royal court. Ferdinand and Isabella seemed curious about the route to Asia that Columbus proposed. Like King John, they too appointed a committee of inquiry to consider the matter, but those experts came to the same negative conclusion: Columbus's claim about the distance to China and the ease of sailing there could not possibly be true.

Columbus persisted. He talked at length to members of the Spanish court and convinced some of them, but Ferdinand and Isabella twice rejected his appeal for ships. Finally, angry and impatient after six discouraging years in Spain, he threatened to seek support from the king of France. Columbus actually set out for France, riding a mule down a dusty Spanish road.

With that, royal advisors persuaded Ferdinand and Isabella to change their minds. If another king sponsored Columbus, and his expedition turned out to be a success, then the Spanish monarchs would be embarrassed. They would be criticized in Spain. Let Columbus risk his life, the advisors said. Let him seek out "the grandeurs and secrets of the universe." If he succeeded, Spain would win much glory and would overcome the Portuguese lead in the race to exploit the riches of Asia.

And so Ferdinand and Isabella decided to take a chance. They dispatched a messenger to intercept Columbus on the road and bring him back to court. They were ready to grant him a hereditary title, Admiral of the Ocean Sea, and the right to a tenth of any riches—pearls, gold, silver, silks, spices—that he brought back from his voyage. And they agreed to supply two ships for his expedition. Columbus himself raised the money to hire a third ship.

A half hour before sunrise on August 3, 1492, the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa María sailed from the port of Palos, Spain, carrying some ninety crew members in all. They were small, lightweight ships called caravels, swift and maneuverable, each with three masts, their white sails with big red crosses billowing before the wind. They had on board food that would last—salted cod, bacon, and biscuits, along with flour, wine, olive oil, and plenty of water, enough for a year. In his small cabin, Columbus kept several hourglasses to mark the passage of time, a compass, and an astrolabe, an instrument for calculating latitude by observing the movement of the sun.

The little fleet stopped for repairs at La Gomera in the Canary Islands, a Spanish possession off the coast of Morocco. On September 6, after praying at the parish church of San Sebastian (which still looks out over the ocean today), Columbus and his three ships set sail again, heading due west, moving now through the unknown waters of the Ocean Sea. Five weeks later, on October 12, his worried crew finally sighted land.

Columbus called the place where they landed San Salvador—the first of many Caribbean islands that he would name. The natives who greeted him called their island Guanahani. They themselves were a people known as the Tainos, the largest group of natives inhabiting the islands of what we today call the West Indies.

Columbus tells us a few things about these now-extinct people. He was impressed by their good looks and apparent robust health. "They are very well-built people, with handsome bodies and very fine faces," he wrote in his log. "Their eyes are large and very pretty. . . . These are tall people and their legs, with no exceptions, are quite straight, and none of them has a paunch." Many of the Tainos had painted their faces or their whole bodies black or white or red. And as Columbus and his men noticed right away, some of them wore gold earrings and nose rings. They offered gifts to the European visitors—parrots, wooden javelins, and balls of cotton thread.

From San Salvador, Columbus sailed on to several more islands, still believing that he was close to Japan "because all my globes and world maps seem to indicate that the island of Japan is in this vicinity." He stopped at Cuba and at Hispaniola (the island that today contains Haiti and the Dominican Republic). And he wrote enthusiastically in his journal of the lush tropical beauty of the islands, the sweet singing of birds "that might make a man wish never to leave here," and the hospitality of the people: "They gave my men bread and fish and whatever they had." And later, "They brought us all they had in this world, knowing what I wanted, and they did it so generously and willingly that it was wonderful."

The Tainos lived in large, airy wooden houses with palm roofs. They slept in cotton hammocks, sat on wooden chairs carved in elaborate animal shapes, and kept small barkless dogs and tame birds as pets. They were skilled farmers, fishermen, and boat builders who traveled from island to island in long, brightly painted canoes carved from tree trunks, each of which carried as many as 150 people.

They told Columbus that they called themselves Tainos, a word meaning "good," to distinguish themselves from the "bad" Caribs, their fierce, warlike neighbors who raided Taino villages, carried off their girls as brides, and, the Tainos insisted, ate human flesh. To fend off Carib attacks, the Tainos painted themselves red and fought back with clubs, bows and arrows, and spears propelled by throwing sticks.

The Tainos themselves were not warlike, Columbus reported to his monarchs: "They are an affectionate people, free from avarice and agreeable to everything. I certify to Your Highnesses that in all the world I do not believe there is a better people or a better country. They love their neighbors as themselves, and they have the softest and gentlest voices in the world and are always smiling."

A village chief gave Columbus a mask with golden eyes and large ears of gold. And the Spaniards were already aware that many of the Tainos wore gold jewelry. They kept asking where the gold came from. After much searching, they found a river on the island of Hispaniola where "the sand was full of gold, and in such quantity, that it is wonderful. . . . I named this El Rio del Oro" (The River of Gold).

Columbus built a small fort nearby and left thirty-nine men behind to collect gold samples and await the next Spanish expedition. Still believing that he had discovered unknown islands near the shores of Asia, he sailed back to Spain with some gold from Hispaniola and with ten Indians he had kidnapped so he could train them as interpreters and exhibit them at the royal court. One of the Indians died at sea.

He returned to a triumphant welcome. It was said that when Ferdinand and Isabella received him at their court in Barcelona, "there were tears in the royal eyes." They greeted Columbus as a hero, inviting him to ride with them in royal processions. A second voyage was planned. This time, the monarchs gave Columbus seventeen ships, about fifteen hundred men, and a few women to colonize the islands. He was instructed to continue his explorations, establish gold mines, install settlers, develop trade with the Indians, and convert them to Christianity.

Columbus returned to Hispaniola in the fall of 1493. He hoped to find huge amounts of gold on the island. But the mines yielded much less gold than expected, and the European crops planted by the settlers wilted in the tropical climate. Some settlers began to lord it over the Indians, stealing their possessions, abducting their wives, and seizing captives to be shipped to Spain and sold as slaves. Thousands of Tainos fled to the mountains to escape capture. Others, vowing to avenge themselves, attacked any Spaniards they found in small groups and set fire to their huts.

While Columbus was a courageous and enterprising mariner, he proved to be a poor governor, unable to control the greed of his followers. In 1496, he was called back to Spain to answer complaints about his management of the colony. When he appeared at court before Ferdinand and Isabella, he found the king and queen were still willing to support his explorations. Columbus gave them a "good sample of gold . . . and many masks, with eyes and ears of gold, and many parrots." He also presented to the monarchs "Diego," the brother of a Taino chief, who was wearing a heavy gold collar. These hints that more gold might be forthcoming encouraged Ferdinand and Isabella to send Columbus back to the Indies, this time with eight ships.

When he returned to Hispaniola on his third voyage in 1498, he found the island in turmoil, torn by rivalries and disagreements among the settlers. Many colonists, unable to make a living from the gold mines or by farming, were clamoring to return to Spain. Others, rivals of Columbus who wanted to gain control of the colony, rebelled against his rule. When word of the conflict reached Spain, the king and queen sent an emissary, Francisco de Bobadilla, to investigate the uprising and take charge of the government.

Columbus, it seems, made the mistake of arguing with the royal emissary and challenging his credentials. He was promptly arrested and with his two brothers was shipped back to Spain to face charges of wrongdoing. "Bobadilla sent me here in chains," he wrote to Ferdinand and Isabella when he landed in Spain. "I swear that I do not know, nor can I think why." Though Columbus was quickly pardoned by the Spanish monarchs, who felt he had been treated too harshly, he was stripped of his right to govern the islands he had discovered, and he lost his title as Admiral of the Ocean Sea.

Even so, he was allowed to make one more voyage, sailing across the Caribbean and exploring the coast of Central America. This final expedition was cursed by bad luck. Two of Columbus's ships became so infested with termites, they sank. When he headed back to Spain, he had to beach his remaining ships at St. Ann's Bay in Jamaica, where he was marooned for a year before being rescued in the fall of 1504. He returned to Spain an ill and disappointed man.

Spanish colonists, meanwhile, had been settling in Hispaniola, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and other islands in the West Indies. The local Indians were put to work as forced laborers in the goldfields or on Spanish ranches. Indians who resisted were killed, sometimes with terrible brutality, or were shipped to Spain to be sold as slaves. Spanish missionaries denounced this mistreatment, but with little effect. "I have seen the greatest cruelty and inhumanity practiced on these gentle and peace-loving [native peoples]," Father Bartolomé de Las Casas would say a half century later, "without any reason except for insatiable greed, thirst, and hunger for gold."

As the number of Spanish colonists increased, the native population of the West Indies quickly declined. Tens of thousands of native people were worked to death or died of smallpox, measles, and other European diseases to which they had no immunity. As the Tainos died off, the colonists brought in black slaves from Africa to labor on ranches and in the spreading sugar-cane fields.

Within fifty years, the Tainos had ceased to exist as a distinct race of people. A few Taino words survive today in Spanish and even in English, including hammock, canoe, hurricane, savannah, barbecue, and cannibal.

Columbus died in a Spanish monastery on May 20, 1506, at the age of fifty-seven, still believing that he had found a new route to Asia, and that China and Japan lay just beyond the islands he had explored. By then, other explorers were following the sea route pioneered by the Admiral of the Ocean Sea, and Europeans were already speaking of Columbus's discoveries as a "New World."

The first map of the world to show these newly discovered lands across the Ocean Sea appeared in 1507, a year after Christopher Columbus's death. The mapmaker, Martin Waldseemüller, named the New World "America," after the Italian Amerigo Vespucci, who had explored the coastline of South America and was the first to realize that it was a separate continent, not part of Asia.

Columbus wasn't the first explorer to "discover" America. His voyages were significant because they were the first to become widely known in Europe. They opened a pathway from the Old World to the New, paving the way for the European conquest and colonization of the Americas, changing life forever on both sides of the Atlantic.

Excerpted from Who Was First? Copyright © 2007 by Russell Freedman.

Who Was First?
by Russell Freedman

Hardcover, 88 page

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

from Columbus' wiki page...

Michele da Cuneo, Columbus's childhood friend from Savona, sailed with Columbus during the second voyage and wrote: "In my opinion, since Genoa was Genoa, there was never born a man so well equipped and expert in the art of navigation as the said lord Admiral."[55] Columbus named the small island of "Saona ... to honor Michele da Cuneo, his friend from Savona."[56] The same childhood friend reported in a letter that Columbus had provided one of the captured indigenous women to him. He wrote, "While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked - as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure with her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. But - to cut a long story short - I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. Eventually we came to such terms, I assure you, that you would have thought that she had been brought up in a school for whores."[57] This letter has been interpreted by some as providing evidence that Columbus knowingly aided the rape of captured indigenous people.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sorry about that last post if it's a downer. But the more you read about these early European explorers, you really start to wonder why it was the North and Central Americans who got labeled as the "savages" and not the Europeans themselves.
Like a lot of their descendants today, many of them think they're "civilized", but under all that phony civility is often something pretty ugly.
Now I better understand why some have resorted to referring to them as "eurotrash".

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

At the height of the Age of Exploration in the early fifteenth century, European nations became poised to expand their influence to the rest of the world.
But when the explorers first stepped foot onto their ships to embark on journeys to new and far away lands, their numerous diseases traveled with them.
Already devastating diseases became even worse during life at sea. Due to unsanitary conditions and rotten food, the spread of disease among passengers accelerated.
Upon their arrival to the new land, the Europeans were infested with cholera, typhus, smallpox, measles, typhoid, diphtheria, plague, influenza, tuberculosis, venereal disease, and scarlet fever, all diseases to which the people of the New World possessed no immunity. The forced contact between the two peoples made the transmission of these contagious diseases unavoidable. The results were quick and disastrous. Historians have estimated that in Canada, within a 200 year period, the indigenous population was reduced by as much as 95 percent, as a result of European-originated disease.

Such devastation continued throughout time and across the entire "newfound" continent and beyond. It turns out that some of the most glorified conquests in world history, at a second look, were in actuality bitterly tragic. The most shameful of them all would have to be the conquest of the Aztec and Inca people of Mexico and Peru by the conquistadors, Spanish conquerors led by Hernan Cortez and Francisco Pizzaro in the sixteenth century.
In 1520, only one year after the conquistadors first landed in Mexico, half of the native population was infected with smallpox. Fifty percent of the cases ended in death.
In 1531 a second epidemic arose, again introduced by the Spanish, eventually resulting in the deaths of over 18 million people from smallpox, as well as mumps, measles, and other European-originated diseases, (from the same source). An entire culture was left in ruins.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Great new thread, Bob. You reminded me of a history class I took in college, ca. 1968 or 1969. So long ago...but, the prof and his grad student dressed in costume and put on a little mini-play in the classroom...really kept the subject "alive". Meanwhile, I fell asleep in Beowulf to Chaucer, with the tenured English lit professor who was as boring as it gets, a woman with a voice that could lull a crack addict to sleep.

The older I get, the less I believe. Even on the local front, I read about hard it was in Pensacola and how poor and ignorant we were 50 years ago. I dont even recognize the city they are talking about and I was here. I served in the Army Security Agency during part of the Vietnam War. I have first hand knowledge of many things that happened, yet when I read accounts of the same things that I KNOW to be true, again, I can not even recognize the story
After awhile you learn to be quiet and let people think what they want to think. I bet much of the history that we read and think is factual is far from it..

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A conquistador finds Coosa villages abandoned

Tristán de Luna is ordered to establish a Spanish settlement on the Gulf Coast and an overland trade route to what is now South Carolina. In what is now Georgia, he expects to find villages of the powerful Coosa people, which Hernando de Soto described 20 years earlier. Instead, he finds villages almost abandoned. An ailing slave left behind by de Soto had spread an epidemic that swept through Coosa towns.

Historians believe that a series of epidemics nearly wiped out southeastern tribes in only decades. One of them—possibly a combination of pneumonic and bubonic plagues, or typhus— killed millions of Mesoamericans from 1545 to 1548. Colonists also transmitted the influenza virus to Native peoples. The virus became epidemic in the Caribbean and Mesoamerica in 1559, following its sweep across Europe two years earlier.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/nativevoices/timeline/189.html

Trust me, you don't even want to look at the next link. So don't.
It's a timeline of European exploration of the "New World", except told from the perspective of the "indians" and not the Europeans...

http://wsearch.nlm.nih.gov/vivisimo/cgi-bin/query-meta?&v%3Aproject=native-people&sortby=DATE-asc&query=&binning-state=ERA%3D%3D1492+-+1777%3A+Colonizers+and+Resistance&

que hacen un trabajo muy bueno .. Estoy muy orgulloso de mi pueblo
""we do very good work.. I am very proud of my people"
left click on above line between the quotes. Lol Neat yes?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Now I want ya'lls opinion about this one. Maybe it's just me but after watching so much of that awful primetime cable news, people like Hannity and Olberman and that ilk, and how hate-filled and one-sided they are;
when I read this next webpage it smacks of the same thing.

But if you think I'm wrong and this page is a fair appraisal of what it's describing, then let me know that too.

Christopher Columbus: Hero or Murderer?

by Whitney DeWitt

The second Monday in October is celebrated across America as Columbus Day. It is a celebration of the man who discovered America. In school, children are taught that Christopher Columbus was a national hero. In actuality, the man was a murderer. It is true that he found a land that was unknown to the “civilized” world, yet in this discovery, he erased the natives inhabiting the land. With slavery, warfare, and inhumane acts, Christopher Columbus and the men who accompanied him completely destroyed a people, a culture, and a land. These are not actions that should be heralded as heroic.

When his thoughts and actions throughout his voyages are considered, one can see that Columbus was never respectful of the rights of the natives he encountered. His first sight of what he termed “Indians” was of a group of attractive, unclothed people. Speculation is that, to him, their nakedness represented a lack of culture, customs, and religion (Wilford 159). Columbus saw this as an opportunity to spread the word of God, while at the same considering how they could possibly be exploited. He believed that they would be easy to conquer because they appeared defenseless, easy to trick because they lacked experience in trade, and an easy source of profit because they could be enslaved (Fernandez-Armesto 83). It obviously did not occur to Columbus to consider these people in any terms aside from that of master and slave. These thoughts were merely a foreshadowing of what was to come.

Even in Columbus’s own letters one can see the arrogance he possessed in claiming the islands he found. In a letter describing his findings to his friend Luis de Santangel, he wrote, “And there I found very many islands filled with people innumerable, and of them all I have taken possession for their Highnesses.…” (12). Columbus never stopped to consider that these islands were not his to take, nor were the people that inhabited them. He simply took over these lands, even going so far as to rename them all. In order to let everyone know of his great discovery, he returned to Spain with many new items, including kidnapped Indians (Fernandez-Armesto 89). He was attempting to glorify Spain and its monarchs while creating fame for himself.

Columbus’s arrogance and exploitation regarding slavery began on his second voyage. Ferdinand and Isabella had ordered that the natives be treated kindly. In opposition to this order, Columbus began exporting slaves in great numbers in 1494. It was because he was not making any real profit elsewhere on the island that he decided to exploit the one source of income--people--he had in abundance (Fernandez-Armesto 107). When word reached him that the crown did not want him sending more slaves, Columbus ignored it. He was desperate to make his expeditions profitable enough for Ferdinand and Isabella's continued support. Evidently he was not reprimanded because thousands of Indians were exported. By the time they reached Spain, usually a third of them were dead. Bartolome de las Casas wrote that one Spaniard had told him they did not need a compass to find their way back to Spain; they could simply follow the bodies of floating Indians who had been tossed overboard when they died (17). It is horrible to consider that the exportation of these natives resulted in thousands of deaths. It is much worse when one realizes that they were caused by one man’s desire for glory.

The Indians that were not exported were put into slavery on the island. There was literally no way to escape some form of enslavement. Columbus would let the settlers of his establishment choose whomever they wanted for their own. One account claims that each settler had slaves to work for them, dogs to hunt for them, and beautiful women to warm their beds (Fernandez-Armesto 133). This degradation of an entire group of people seemed not to bother Columbus or the Spaniards in any way. They appeared to consider it their right as superiors.

Enslavement of the Indians was not the only violation they were forced to endure; Columbus also terrorized, tortured, and killed them. At one point in time, Columbus sent five hundred men into the hills to search for gold. Upon hearing that the Indians were planning to attack the men, Columbus sent four hundred soldiers to terrorize them in order to show how strong the Christians were (Wilford 173-4). Since Columbus was in charge, he felt he could do as he chose without repercussions. He believed that the Christians could do no wrong and therefore never punished them. One of the Spaniards went through the hills, terrorizing the Indians and stealing their food. Columbus punished the Indian victims instead of the Christian culprit (Wilford 175). Obviously, the culprit was not so much of a Christian. His activities, and others like it, soon led to an all out war between the settlers and the natives. Due to their inferior weaponry, thousands of Indians were wiped out while those that were not were captured.

Other atrocities committed by Columbus and his men were reported by Michele de Cuneo, one of the Spaniards with whom he was traveling. One account tells of how they came upon a canoe and Indians and they attacked them. They thought they had killed one of the Indians and threw him into the water. Upon seeing him begin to swim, they caught him and cut his head with an axe. They later sent the rest of the Indians to Spain. He also gives a relatively descriptive account of his rape of an Indian woman; an act committed with Columbus’s blessing (Wilford 178-9). Columbus apparently believed it was his right to pass the captured women out to his men, and they, in turn, believed they did not need to ask for the women’s consent. As awful as it may be, rape was one of the less violent acts they committed against the Indians.

Columbus and his men could be a very cruel group of people. Under the guise of subduing the enemy, they would engage in horrific activities. At times, they would make an example of an Indian by cutting his hands off and tying them around his neck, telling him to then go and share the message. Other times they would go and massacre an entire village, unconcerned with the age of their victims (de las Casas 16). These are the types of inhumane activities undertaken by the men that Columbus led. This type of treatment continued a pattern seen throughout history. The degradation and belief of superiority can be seen in the way the American Indians were later treated. It can also be seen in the way the Africans were treated. Columbus certainly set a precedent, although it would be a stretch to call it an admirable one.

It is certain that the Indian’s version of the “discovery” would be quite different from the European accounts had they been given the opportunity to tell it. Certain artifacts have shown that they were not an uncivilized community as Columbus had claimed. They had a wide range of abundant food sources, healthy relationships with their neighbors, and were experienced traders. Despite what Columbus believed, they also had their own distinct religion, termed Zemiism. It is believed to be “the personification of spiritual power achieved with the aid of supernatural forces represented as idols” (Wilford 157). The Indian’s story will never be told because they did not write and never had the opportunity to hand it down. Within a generation of Columbus’s landing, their entire group of people and their culture became extinct. Bartolome de las Casas wrote, “And it is a great sorrow and heartbreak to see this coastal land which was so flourishing, now a depopulated desert” (16). When the natives began to die off, they were replaced with African slaves. Today, the descendents of these slaves are the only ones who remain. It is sad that Columbus’s search for fame led to the eradication of an entire culture. Greed and the desire for glory caused him to destroy that which he is famed for discovering.

Christopher Columbus is in no way a hero. All he did was encounter unknown lands while trying to get to Asia. He did not even manage to complete his initial goal of finding a commercially viable route to Asia by traversing the western oceans. He died feeling a failure because of this, not because of the tragedy he had brought to the Indians. His great accomplishment was the destruction of an entire population. How is that heroic?

http://campuspages.cvcc.vccs.edu/polis/2003/nonfiction/whitney%20dewitt.amlit.htm

The earth is a dangerous place... and we are the most dangerous animal. Enlightened is a matter of perspective.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I wonder why they put mattresses on sale on Columbus Day. Has anybody ever figured that one out?

NaNook

NaNook

There was a global map, from the time of Christ. It was accurate. It even included the coastlines of both poles. I wonder who drew it? It's a fact......

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

NaNook wrote:There was a global map, from the time of Christ. It was accurate. It even included the coastlines of both poles. I wonder who drew it? It's a fact......

I would sure like to see it. How can we use the internet to find it? What google search words might help us find it?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

NaNook wrote:There was a global map, from the time of Christ. It was accurate. It even included the coastlines of both poles. I wonder who drew it? It's a fact......

Here's a list of maps from that period and before and after. Take a look at the list and see if you think the one you're talking about is on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_world_maps#Pomponius_Mela_.28c._43_CE.29

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum