Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Too much salary for assistance but not enough to live on: ALICE

+3
Floridatexan
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

colaguy wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:The MCLG for cyanide is 0.2 mg/L or 200 ppb. EPA has set this level of protection based on the best available science to prevent potential health problems. EPA has set an enforceable regulation for cyanide, called a maximum contaminant level (MCL), at 0.2 mg/L or 200 ppb. MCLs are set as close to the health goals as possible, considering cost, benefits and the ability of public water systems to detect and remove contaminants using suitable treatment technologies. In this case, the MCL equals the MCLG, because analytical methods or treatment technology do not pose any limitation.

Well a quick chk shows we have the maximum allowed cyanide in ESC water....afraid to chk the rest....[/quote]

I think you are misinterpreting those tables.  First it clearly states there were No MCL Violations for any of the compounds.  Second, the table (for cyanide) shows the MCL (maximum) is 200 ppb (see below), and the test shows only 1.13, which is well below the limit.

Parts per billion (ppb) or
Micrograms per liter (μg/l): One
part per billion corresponds to one
minute in 2,000 years, or a single penny in
$10,000,000.
thanks ...glad you corrected it....also glad i drink distilled

2seaoat

Do you have a link showing a comparison of Panhandle schools to the ntional average?

I have done this repeatedly in the PNJ showing the very schools(high schools) which are alleged to be high achievers by Florida standards actually have ACT scores which are below average. I have some current forum members argue that the ACT is not a good test to measure, however it is the same test all over the nation to test readiness for college. The type of people who run companies know what to look for in an education system, and quite frankly Boards comments are mostly correct, but there are exceptions where a family moving to the area could be selective.

http://www.act.org/newsroom/data/2013/states.html

Please note that Florida is a cherry pick state, yet they consistently are far below the national average with only about 75% of their better students taking the test. When you see the 100% states you have to understand how incredibly good their curriculum and performance is to average in those low achieving students. CA and Ma which have extremely high scores however, only test about a fourth of their students which creates the skew.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
colaguy wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:The MCLG for cyanide is 0.2 mg/L or 200 ppb. EPA has set this level of protection based on the best available science to prevent potential health problems. EPA has set an enforceable regulation for cyanide, called a maximum contaminant level (MCL), at 0.2 mg/L or 200 ppb. MCLs are set as close to the health goals as possible, considering cost, benefits and the ability of public water systems to detect and remove contaminants using suitable treatment technologies. In this case, the MCL equals the MCLG, because analytical methods or treatment technology do not pose any limitation.

Well a quick chk shows we have the maximum allowed cyanide in ESC water....afraid to chk the rest....[/quote]

I think you are misinterpreting those tables.  First it clearly states there were No MCL Violations for any of the compounds.  Second, the table (for cyanide) shows the MCL (maximum) is 200 ppb (see below), and the test shows only 1.13, which is well below the limit.

$10,000,000.

Yup.  I almost always drink bottled.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:There simply isn't enough talent in Pensacola to justify a business relocating here (in the realm of tech/development, at least).  We are a healthcare/call center/tourism economy.

What would draw a tourist to Pensacola?

I've worked there many times and once the venue was at an old, restored, hotel downtown which was nice.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
boards of FL wrote:There simply isn't enough talent in Pensacola to justify a business relocating here (in the realm of tech/development, at least).  We are a healthcare/call center/tourism economy.

And what kind of "talent" is necessary?

The type that would incentivize a business to relocate here.  

Around and around we go. Arrow

What talents would provide an incentive for industry and businesses to relocate to Pensacola?

Did I miss the answer.

BOF's statement incites a bit of anger in me. He seems to be looking down his nose and implying people do not deserve a county with forward thinking that will bring in business because the people are dumb.

Really pisses me off.

Is he a young pup - college bred - and lives here working in a non-related service industry because he is so smart?

Would love the explanation on this.

I was born and raised in Escambia County and attended school there. The system educated, I know in my graduating class, people who excelled and continue to be in great places today. However, not in Pensacola. Why? Because the County will not bring in the business.

They would rather live their "downtown" lives and be served by the people of the county in this service industry that some say is just the cat's meow and the saving grace of the county.

Bullshit.

Thankfully NFCU is coming in and will employ many.

There is a lost class in Escambia county, driven into poverty, that do not matter to the planners and supposed forward thinkers.

What will the county do to turn this around?

I wonder what brought in Chemstrand, American Cyanimide, Armstrong, St. Regis, and other large corporations into Escambia County in the 1950s? They employed a strong working middle class. Were the people then "talented" in some way that BOF thinks is not possible today?

Before your time, Boards?

What's the deal? How do you assume and brand the people here as you have?

Where is the push for technical training? Where is the push for industrial training? Why do we not open more roads for people who do not choose the college route and desire to work in other areas that are not degree burdened but also are not service industry related.

Mobile exceeds Pensacola/Escambia County in forward thinking and planning. Are the people in Mobile more "talented?"

I think the leaders of Pensacola and Escambia County feel just fine with the HUGE gap of rich and poor.

Tourism and service industry - on the backs of the poor trying to work two jobs and raise families.

Gotta keep them there so more of the upper class can enjoy more of the "downtown life."

2seaoat

Why? Because the County will not bring in the business.

You should be mad at me. If you think that a county or a city has much input in an industrial plant locating in an area, you simply are clueless. 90% of government incentives are based at the state level. However, industry relocating has many considerations which involve distribution costs, labor costs, labor training, transportation costs of materials, state corporate taxes, and finding the ideal location within this matrix in a particular state. The State of Florida has been MIA. Time after time the Panhandle becomes forgetonia........the land which the State of Florida thinks is South Alabama, which if that was true the plants would be relocating to the area.

In the end however, plants locating in a hurricane zone require, high ground and extra costs in construction to protect that plant from risks. Northern Escambia has great industrial sites.......where is the State of Florida?

Actually Seaoat I am not clueless. I know the process of bringing in Industry. The thread speaks to a county level of information. Of course there is a line of authority when it comes to seeking business. Florida has accepted tourism as the industry and it is NOT meeting the needs of the citizens.

Back to my questions regarding BOF's statement on "talent" issues.

2seaoat

The thread speaks to a county level of information.

You should have titled it correctly then because the too much salary but not enough for assistance is really not a county or city level problem. Again, minimum wage is usually set at the national level and the state level. The idea that a county commissioner is going to vote to make a change which is relevant is silly, let alone something the mayor does at the city level. Again, the national big box folks who come into a region and do not pay a living wage result in the taxpayers subsidizing those corporations. The solutions are at the state and national level. The constant negative and whining criticism of local county and city officials to solve poverty and this gap is wasted energy. I have been a big fan of the jobs which have been created and the efficacy of local government in facilitating the same, but for the most part they are the lone ranger.....the State of Florida is MIA.

Did you read the article that is the OP? It is speaking of the situation in Escambia County.

I swear you'd argue with a brick wall that surrounds that school of fish with the race issues.

Now...where's BoF to expound on his statement? He's acting in the way he accuses Markle.

2seaoat

Yes I did read the article.......and what did the article say:

The answer is not more welfare, according to the ALICE report. Public and private assistance is not enough to lift ALICE households to economic stability.

Correct.   The answer is a liveable minimum wage.  That is something which is not solved at the local level.  A service industry which is vibrant and profitable which has the minimum wage increased will leave tourists paying a little more for their meal or housing, but it will take those service industry employees of the public dole.   The answer begins with the state minimum wage.   A state which depends on tourism which does not raise the minimum wage which will be paid by those tourists is idiotic.

If the "answer" is a raise of the minimum wage... why would it need to be raised again in ten years?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:Did you read the article that is the OP?  It is speaking of the situation in Escambia County.

I swear you'd argue with a brick wall that surrounds that school of fish with the race issues.

Now...where's BoF to expound on his statement?  He's acting in the way he accuses Markle.

cheers

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:BOF's statement incites a bit of anger in me.  He seems to be looking down his nose and implying people do not deserve a county with forward thinking that will bring in business because the people are dumb.

Really pisses me off.

Is he a young pup - college bred - and lives here working in a non-related service industry because he is so smart?

Would love the explanation on this.

I was born and raised in Escambia County and attended school there.  The system educated, I know in my graduating class, people who excelled and continue to be in great places today.  However, not in Pensacola.  Why?  Because the County will not bring in the business.  

They would rather live their "downtown" lives and be served by the people of the county in this service industry that some say is just the cat's meow and the saving grace of the county.

Bullshit.

Thankfully NFCU is coming in and will employ many.  

There is a lost class in Escambia county, driven into poverty,  that do not matter to the planners and supposed forward thinkers.  

What will the county do to turn this around?  

I wonder what brought in Chemstrand, American Cyanimide, Armstrong, St. Regis, and other large corporations into Escambia County in the 1950s?  They employed a strong working middle class.  Were the people then "talented" in some way that BOF thinks is not possible today?

Before your time, Boards?  

What's the deal?  How do you assume and brand the people here as you have?

Where is the push for technical training?  Where is the push for industrial training?  Why do we not open more roads for people who do not choose the college route and desire to work in other areas that are not degree burdened but also are not service industry related.

Mobile exceeds Pensacola/Escambia County in forward thinking and planning. Are the people in Mobile more "talented?"  

I think the leaders of Pensacola and Escambia County feel just fine with the HUGE gap of  rich and poor.  

Tourism and service industry - on the backs of the poor trying to work two jobs and raise families.  

Gotta keep them there so more of the upper class can enjoy more of the "downtown life."

Dammit to hell, Shewrites. We have the Blue Wahoos several months a year and an empty stadium the rest of the year, in downtown Pensacola. According to Seaoat.....that's all we need to be successful.

2seaoat

Dammit to hell, Shewrites. We have the Blue Wahoos several months a year and an empty stadium the rest of the year, in downtown Pensacola. According to Seaoat.....that's all we need to be successful.

It is a great start. It is making great money and will be a cash cow for thirty years. Exactly as I predicted to the Naysayers. However, most of the profit in concessions is being kept by the ball team. This will change in the next contract, and more buildings will build out this beautiful park. Old stinky is now in private ownership.....good things to come. However, the fundamental problems facing the Pensacola area could largely be improved by an immediate dollar an hour raise to the minimum wage, with .50 increases each year for 10 years. Magically, the public dole will begin to see less tax dollars going out, and the folks who have been getting rich on taxpayer subsidy will now be sharing their wealth with the employees who create the same.......Oh no....my drink cost me a quarter more....I think next year I am going to Vegas.....not.....raise the minimum wage.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Called tax incentives.

Dredge your port to allow the new giant ships which require deep water ports. Problem solved.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Called tax incentives.

Dredge your port to allow the new giant ships which require deep water ports.  Problem solved.

That will not happen. The downtown group and powers that be do not want a functioning port. They are very selective of what a ships cargo contains.

The plan for downtown, according to board decisions, is a mixed media venue.....shopping, bars and restaurants. This will boost the Pensacola economy by providing part-time jobs for clerks, servers, and bartenders. Yea!!!!!

Joanimaroni wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Did you read the article that is the OP?  It is speaking of the situation in Escambia County.

Now...where's BoF to expound on his statement?  He's acting in the way he accuses Markle.

cheers

Looks like your nuns need to get after him.  Shocked

Minimum wage increase is not the answer in Escambia County. Band-aid.

2seaoat

Minimum wage increase is not the answer in Escambia County. Band-aid

Nonsense.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023116005_wageimpactsxml.html

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
colaguy wrote:

$10,000,000.

"Spring" waters and others are better for you than distilled and they taste better. The trace elements are good for you as well.

We're lucky here in Tallahassee, we have great water.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I dove some of the caves around Tallahassee and you are right about the water around there, it's some of the best anywhere . I would probably drink it no problem.
I supplement minerals because distilled water can leach them out of your system.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum