Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phosphorus Shell on the Beach this Morning....

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

...a lovely day to go for a walk.

I know phosphorus can be very, very nasty and is often stored under water to keep it stable but....

Why would there be one washing up on the shore on the key? The navy base? Fireworks?

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate our gulf being used like a toilet and now hazardous waste dump. Out of sight out of mind. We are going to pay as a species for this...I am telling you we will.....

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well when I was in the navy it was quite common to throw damaged or defective rounds overboard...we just figiured better the fish get blown up than us....I hate war ask anyone i would be happy to turn all shells into fireworks and throw a party.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Probably came from a russian sub that was cruising the gulf a few weeks ago.

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Well when I was in the navy it was quite common to throw damaged or defective rounds overboard...we just figiured better the fish get blown up than us....I hate war ask anyone i would be happy to turn all shells into fireworks and throw a party.

Or some kid walking along the beach....my son would have been all over this thing had he found it.

Perdido Key used to be a training ground during WW-II. I have found practice bombs... LIVE .50 caliber ammo... and tons of bullets.

Here's what a .50 cal bullet looks like compared to some other "high-power" bullets.

Phosphorus Shell on the Beach this Morning.... 50-cal10

They had a huge sand dune where those multicolored condos are (just west of the high-rise bridge) where they had a firing range. My buddy and I filled an old nail keg (5-10 gallons in volume) with lead from this mound. It was so heavy we couldn't carry it!

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Yes, that's right, Yo. There have been interesting things wash ashore for decades.

Just like the Deepwater Horizon, we need to make sure our technology for cleanup and disposal is equal to that of the mission. We are otherwise playing with fire.

The Navy sent out an enlisted team (a slender guy and a substantially overweight woman) in working blues and ball caps to run metal detectors along the shoreline. That seemed kind of silly to me and their dress showed me they weren't taking it seriously either.

The detonation came and went in the matter of 30 minutes. They were attired like they were taking no chances.

I did a quick search on phosphorous bombs and had no earthly idea what hideous weapons they are.

ghandi wrote:Probably came from a russian sub that was cruising the gulf a few weeks ago.

No, I'm sure that small whale that washed up on the beach today, had something to do with it.

This reminds me of that story where the lady put a rock in her pocket and it caught her on fire.

I'm a little confused to if you mean a bullet case shell or a rock type. Ill be the first one to tell you I dont know a dang thing about bullets other than they go in guns.

but i do know phosphorus is flammable.

Shesurfs, I thought of you when I seen this. Ive been thinking about what you seen and its concerning. Take a look at this vid, might have some info for you.

would love to see a picture of it if you have it..... Smile

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Camp Pendleton has two big impact areas, the Whiskey Impact Area and the Zulu Impact Area. I spent a year (1980) as a Forward Air Controller/Air Liaison Officer with an infantry battalion (3/1) based there, and called a lot of air into a target inside the Whiskey Impact Area. The little hill was labeled Hill 468 on the map, and I turned it into Hill 465 or lower, I called so much ordinance onto it. Everything from bombs to napalm, and yes, a few white phosphorus rockets as well (to mark the target for the jets so they could see where to drop their bombs). I don't recall San Onofre Beach being used as a target area, but it may have been in the old days.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Im bumping till I find out what kind of phospherous shell was found on the beach.

I still dont understand yet. so some ammo has phospherous in it?

as far as dumping things in the ocean as I seen where shesurfs was concerned. You can go on google earth and see in the ocean where they have trailers and tankers of stuff stored under the surface. it was said that there is nuclear waste burried in tankers next to the volcanos in the canary islands which are very active right now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum