Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Rule - The Only Reason to Take a Firearm Into Sonic is if You're Robbing It

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Sal

Sal

This is friggin' hilarious and oh so true ....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Those end of show monologues he does are usually some of the very best comedy on television. It's one of the main reasons I buy HBO. I laugh my ass off.
They are beautifully written and have perfect graphics and only Maher's delivery could complete the comedy brilliance of them.

But I don't get my political positions from watching that anymore than I get my political positions from listening to Bernie McGuirk or Rob Bartlett (who are equally brilliant comics on the right). Or Trey Parker and Matt Stone who brilliantly satirize the left and the right.

What Maher has done with this particular bit is to show us weirdos who carry their guns into restaurants. And there's no doubt they are obviously weirdos and terribly malajusted people.
But Maher's intent with this is to convince his audience these people are representative of everyone who has any problem with gun control laws and he's painting all of those with the same paint brush because Maher has an uber-partisan position on it and so does the audience for his show.

But I agree, it's still hilarious to watch.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The right has comedians? Who knew? Oh...Dennis Miller...he stopped being funny in 1990.

Love this line: "...but I don't go into Olive Garden and blow bong hits into other people's faces.........anymore."

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I agree,  that was the best line even though every word he said was a good line.

Right-wingers have the same reaction to Maher as you left-wingers have to Miller,  tex.  They don't laugh at Maher's stuff either and hate him for it.

There's a reason why there are a lot more good liberal comics than good conservative comics.
Showbiz has always been dominated with liberals and still is.  The only tv influenced by conservatives is Fox News and some of the so-called "reality" programming (Duck Dynasty etc).  Most everything else is the creation of liberals.  So it's not rocket science.  The liberal climate fosters liberal comedians.  

As a sideline to this,  I really hope you got to see the 60 Minutes segment earlier on Bassem Youssef.  It's one of the most remarkable stories about political humor I have ever heard about.
When it goes up on the 60 Minutes website tonight I'm gonna put a link to it here.

Last edited by Bob on 6/8/2014, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Dennis Miller...he stopped being funny in 1990.

He was never funny.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If Miller was parodying conservatives, you and tex would feel differently.
You both are so blinded by political partisanship that it even alters your funny bones. lol

Miller doing his shtick on O'Reilly Factor can be pretty funny at times. But Miller is not putting anywhere near the amount of preparation into that, and does not have the benefit of the brilliant writing that backs up Maher.
Although I don't take anything away from Maher's ability to deliver those lines.
It's as good as anything on tv and is matched only by Stewart and Colbert.

When Leno was on the air he did some really good satire of obama and liberalism at times with the same exceptional delivery. But that too resulted in part from having a superlative writing team behind him.
Neither Miller nor any of the few other conservative comics on television have benefit of that.

2seaoat

I thought he was hugely unfunny on SNL and I was clueless to his politics. I still do not find him funny.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Miller is surely not the example to use when you're trashing "conservative" humor.
If you want to trash the humor of conservatives,  all you need is O'Reilly,  Hannity and Limbaugh as examples.  All three try to be funny,  especially Limbaugh.  But all three come across as so childish and immature and the so-called humor is so lame,  that I'm embarrased for them when I watch it.
But I suppose it appeals to their braindead fans and that's all they really need to have happen.

2seaoat

Unfunny twenty years ago.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I thought he was hugely unfunny on SNL and I was clueless to his politics.  I still do not find him funny.

Miller was competing with all the other cast on SNL and that aint an easy thing to do.  His best gig was later when he had his regular HBO show (same as Maher).

SNL may be the toughest gig in show biz.  Larry David was a staff writer on SNL for a whole season.  And only one sketch he wrote was used on the show.
And of course you probably don't think he's funny either,  but after Seinfeld and Curb most of the rest of the television audience thinks he's a comic genius (including yours truly).

p.s. I was referring to Miller's regular weekly program on HBO. Not an HBO concert, seaoat.

Sal

Sal

Miller and Leno, and two schmoes of whom I've never heard. 

Yah, the conservative comedy caravan is rollickin'. 

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Miller and Leno, and two schmoes of whom I've never heard. 

Yah, the conservative comedy caravan is rollickin'. 

lol

I'm assuming who you're calling "the two schmoes" are the names I mentioned,  Bartlett and McGuirk.  
Bartlett and McGuirk are under-appreciated comic geniuses.  Especially Rob Bartlett.  Bartlett has worked his whole career doing two things.  Playing a similiar role on the Don Imus cast as Colbert did for Stewart (before Colbert spun off from that).  And doing a regular gig at a Manhattan comedy club. Both for many years.
And Bernie McGuirk has been Don Imus' sidekick for almost the whole Imus run.  He's one of the best ad-libbers in the business. Of course now he's doing regular bits on the Fox News primetime programming so you partisans would despise him.  lol

No there is no conservative "comedy caravan".  I already agreed with that and explained why.  It's not like you to be so redundant.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But maybe you have heard of the other two names I mentioned,  Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
I mention them because their humor is not so partisan like you and tex and seaoat and markle prefer.  When they skewer the "liberal" mindset, they go after it just as hard as when they satirize the right.  
They're not "conservative comics" but they do often play that role.  
And if you don't think Parker and Stone are funny then you just don't have a funny bone.

However,  that's about it for the "conservative comedy caravan" because I can't think of any others either. lol

Last edited by Bob on 6/8/2014, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:If Miller was parodying conservatives,  you and tex would feel differently.
You both are so blinded by political partisanship that it even alters your funny bones.  lol

Miller doing his shtick on O'Reilly Factor can be pretty funny at times.  But Miller is not putting anywhere near the amount of preparation into that,  and does not have the benefit of the brilliant writing that backs up Maher.
Although I don't take anything away from Maher's ability to deliver those lines.
It's as good as anything on tv and is matched only by Stewart and Colbert.

When Leno was on the air he did some really good satire of obama and liberalism at times with the same exceptional delivery.  But that too resulted in part from having a superlative writing team behind him.  
Neither Miller nor any of the few other conservative comics on television have benefit of that.

I completely despise Jay Leno. I can say without hesitation that I've only seen a few of his broadcasts through the years by proxy. But Johnny Carson was a gem. I would have watched Johnny Carson forever, if he hadn't been screwed over by the network. I'm happy Leno is gone. Jimmy Fallon might have some Carson in him.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Dennis Miller...he stopped being funny in 1990.

He was never funny.

I was being generous.

Sal

Sal

I couldn't care any less about your toasterology philosophy, Bob. 

It's sophistry. 

All I care about is the fact that Maher dissected our country's moronic gun culture with hysterical expertise. 

Hijack another thread with your bullshit 

2seaoat

Miller is not funny. If he makes you laugh, it tells me a great deal. Larry David is a genius.......to even mention Miller in the same breath with David is deranged.....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Carson was to television what Einstein was to science or what Henry Ford was to building cars.  He's in a class by himself.
And when I was young I liked Carson fine and was a regular viewer from the beginning.
However,  when Dick Cavett came on the scene I made the switch to that.  Unfortunately back then we couldn't yet record television programs at home so I could watch one but not the other.

This is just my opinion too (obviously),  but the late night tv show comic I prefer to watch now is hands down Jimmy Kimmel.  I love his shtick.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:Carson was to television what Einstein was to science or what Henry Ford was to building cars.  He's in a class by himself.
And when I was young I liked Carson fine and was a regular viewer from the beginning.
However,  when Dick Cavett came on the scene I made the switch to that.  Unfortunately back then we couldn't yet record television programs at home so I could watch one but not the other.

This is just my opinion too (obviously),  but the late night tv show comic I prefer to watch now is hands down Jimmy Kimmel.  I love his shtick.

I like Kimmel, too...as soon as he disassociated himself from that jerk Ben Stein, he elevated himself.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Miller is not funny.  If he makes you laugh, it tells me a great deal.  Larry David is a genius.......to even mention Miller in the same breath with David is deranged.....

But apparently Lorne Michaels didn't find Larry David's comedy to be very funny either. So I guess that makes the creator and guru of the longest running comedy show on television be deranged too. Although since he gave us Belushi and Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy and Bill Murray and dozens of other brilliant comedians, I'm glad he's deranged. lol

I sometimes laugh at Miller when he's playing stooge to O'Reilly. But as I said, Miller's best stuff was his weekly HBO series. The format was perfectly suited for him like Real Time is a perfect vehicle for Maher.
And since it doesn't sound like you're even familiar with that, it's like you saying you don't like a book you haven't read.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

I like Kimmel, too.

Thank god one of you partisans can agree with me about something. I was beginning to think it wasn't possible.

2seaoat

Who is partisan......Dennis Miller was completely unfunny long before anybody knew he even had a political opinion. The politics is the only way his sorry career continues. Also, Larry David's genius is not suited for a three minute bit on SNL......his genius is far more subtle.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:I couldn't care any less about your toasterology philosophy, Bob. 

It's sophistry. 

All I care about is the fact that Maher dissected our country's moronic gun culture with hysterical expertise. 

Hijack another thread with your bullshit 

In other words, agree with you or shut up. lol

2seaoat

In other words, agree with you or shut up. lol

I do not think that is what Sal was saying......but I guess you think Miller is funny so I have no doubt you missed what he was trying to say.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Who is partisan......Dennis Miller was completely unfunny long before anybody knew he even had a political opinion.  

He had a very popular HBO show, seaoat. It ran for nine years and won five Emmys.
All during his early comedy career he was liberal. According to him, he switched sides after 9/11.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum