Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The emails Bergdahl sent to his parents reveal his state of mind.

+4
Markle
dumpcare
Sal
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is a segment of a report published in Rolling Stone magazine in 2012.  The rest of the report is equally compelling and the link to it follows.  

On June 27th (2009), he (Bergdahl) sent what would be his final e-mai­l to his parents. It was a lengthy message documenting his complete disillusionment with the war effort. He opened it by addressing it simply to "mom, dad."

"The future is too good to waste on lies," Bowe wrote. "And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

The e-mail went on to list a series of complaints: Three good sergeants, Bowe said, had been forced to move to another company, and "one of the biggest shit bags is being put in charge of the team." His battalion commander was a "conceited old fool." The military system itself was broken: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing shit bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools." The soldiers he actually admired were planning on leaving: "The US army is the biggest joke the world has to laugh at. It is the army of liars, backstabbers, fools, and bullies. The few good SGTs are getting out as soon as they can, and they are telling us privates to do the same."

In the second-to-last paragraph of the e-mail, Bowe wrote about his broader disgust with America's approach to the war – an effort, on the ground, that seemed to represent the exact opposite of the kind of concerted campaign to win the "hearts and minds" of average Afghans envisioned by counterinsurgency strategists. "I am sorry for everything here," Bowe told his parents. "These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live." He then referred to what his parents believe may have been a formative, possibly traumatic event: seeing an Afghan child run over by an MRAP. "We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them."

Bowe concluded his e-mail with what, in another context, might read as a suicide note. "I am sorry for everything," he wrote. "The horror that is america is disgusting." Then he signed off with a final message to his mother and father. "There are a few more boxes coming to you guys," he said, referring to his uniform and books, which he had already packed up and shipped off. "Feel free to open them, and use them."

On June 27th, at 10:43 p.m., Bob Bergdahl responded to his son's final message not long after he received it. His subject line was titled: OBEY YOUR CONSCIENCE!

"Dear Bowe," he wrote. "In matters of life and death, and especially at war, it is never safe to ignore ones' conscience. Ethics demands obedience to our conscience. It is best to also have a systematic oral defense of what our conscience demands. Stand with like minded men when possible." He signed it simply "dad."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607?print=true

My ex-husband threw his medals overboard upon returning from Viet Nam and the horrors there.

Sal

Sal

Yep, he was disillusioned.

Prolly best to let him be starved/tortured to death by our enemies.

He is a traitor. No other way to put it. A far left wing unicorn mind set liberal who found out the military wasn't pink and fuzzy and warm. Went off on his anti-American triad, walked off and found out probably that America aint so bad. Tuff shit, he's a traitor to this country and good men DIED trying to find his traitor ass.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SAL?

He is a traitor.

SEVERAL PEOPLE DIED BECAUSE OF HIS ACTIONS.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I gather from reading that story that he was the ONLY American soldier still being held captive in Afghanistan.  That of course would explain why he was the one selected for this exchange since there were no others to choose from.
And it also helps us understand Obama's motives for doing this.  He wanted to get back the ONLY American still being held captive.

Sal

Sal

Chrissy wrote:He is a traitor. No other way to put it. A far left wing unicorn mind set liberal who found out the military wasn't pink and fuzzy and warm. Went off on his anti-American triad, walked off and found out probably that America aint so bad. Tuff shit, he's a traitor to this country and good men DIED trying to find his traitor ass.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SAL?

He is a traitor.

SEVERAL PEOPLE DIED BECAUSE OF HIS ACTIONS.

Actually, the military has already said that there is no evidence that is true.

He had left his company without authorization at least twice previously and returned, so there's really no grounds to charge him with desertion.

They may be able to get him for being AWOL, and he'll get an administrative discharge and loss of benefits.

Keep your fingers crossed.

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Most all of his platoon members did a lengthy interview on tv last night.
They didn't have anything good to say about how he deserted his post and then got other soldiers killed because of the massive manhunt to rescue him.
And these were not gung ho GI Joe types.  They were all very impressive young people to listen to.  To a man,  including his best friend in the platoon, they all said they think he needs to be court martialed for desertion.
And they were all disobeying the gag order the government put on them because they "wanted the truth to be known".
What really pissed them off was learning that some obama flunkie government official is calling them all "psycopaths" just for speaking out.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I sent that Rolling Stone article to my friend who is a retired career Marine Sgt.
He's been working on the military camps in Afghanistan for the last four years as a civilian contractor employee.  And he did the same thing in Iraq for three years prior to that.  He's spent the last 7 years of of his life surrounded by American soldiers and muslims working in the camps and really now has an extensive knowledge of all the people (the Americans,  Iraqis,  and Afghanis) and everything that's happening over there.  He's been in numerous camps in all parts of Afghanistan,  both near the cities and out in the boondocks.  And much of it right in the combat areas.  His work colleagues have been killed when the camps were attacked and killed by IED's when they're on the roads.  And one close friend was killed by a suicide car bomber.  He himself narrowly escaped injury or death in one attack.

After he got the article he called me this morning.  The first thing he wanted to explain to me was the part of Bergdahl's email which revealed all his displeasure with the military structure and those in authority over him.
He explained that this is all pretty routine and he's seen it all during his military and later civilizan careers.  He tells me that a great many new recruits experience what Bergdahl did and so did he in the beginning.
He said it takes most recruits some time before they really get accustomed and comfortable with the people who have authority over them.
Before that it's common for privates to be skeptical of the people in authority.  Especially the ones directly in charge.  But over time you begin to accept it and start to get a feel for what the military structure is like and become more comfortable with it.

After he explained that part of Bergdahl's email to me,  I asked the question which I really wanted an answer to.
I asked him "How many have the same mindset that Bergdahl reveals in the email about how disillusioned he was with America  even still occupying Afghanistan after all these years?  And how many, like Bergdahl,  have real problems with how the ordinary Afghani people are being treated by their occupiers?"

His answer was quick.  He said "lots of them feel that way, Bob".

dumpcare

trai·tor [trey-ter] Show IPA
noun
a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust.
a person who commits treason by betraying his or her country.

Snowden a definite yes.

Bergdahl probably after all evidence sifted through.

Markle

Markle

President Barack Hussein Obama will pull out all the stops to prevent an investigation into Bergdahl.

How he will cover up where the released terrorists go and who they kill is another matter.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:President Barack Hussein Obama will pull out all the stops to prevent an investigation into Bergdahl.

How he will cover up where the released terrorists go and who they kill is another matter.

The emails Bergdahl sent to his parents reveal his state of mind. Yeah_r10

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

There is a huge difference between a deserter and a traitor. Let's be clear about that. The kid was not a traitor. He was a prisoner.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:President Barack Hussein Obama will pull out all the stops to prevent an investigation into Bergdahl.

To keep harping that these five Afghans are the worst of the worst is complete and utter bullshit, and you damned well know it.

The Taliban alone has thousands of members, and they've beaten us the last five years without the aid of these POWs! You and idiots like Sean Hannity want us to believe that these five released Afghans are going to make a significant difference in the effectiveness of the Taliban forces aligned against us in their country.

But hell, that's a fact and you don't deal with facts ... LOL

It's not like the criminal mexican drug and human smugglers needed any more high powered weaponry... or that islamic insurgents in n.africa or the m.e. need rpgs and shit... or the muslim brotherhood in egypt needed two billion dollars...

but every little bit helps. Thank you for your cooperation comrades.

PkrBum wrote:It's not like the criminal mexican drug and human smugglers needed any more high powered weaponry... or that islamic insurgents in n.africa or the m.e. need rpgs and shit... or the muslim brotherhood in egypt needed two billion dollars...

but every little bit helps. Thank you for your cooperation comrades.

lol  cheers 

no stress

no stress

The emails Bergdahl sent to his parents reveal his state of mind. 10345710

no stress

no stress

The emails Bergdahl sent to his parents reveal his state of mind. 10401412

2seaoat

If the detainees were such bad people......why did congress block the prosecution of those folks?

2seaoat wrote:If the detainees were such bad people......why did congress block the prosecution of those folks?

I'm sorry, I cant take it anymore. You're simply just very stupid.

The only thing I can see is that you apparently have fallen in love with Obama. And all things regarding Obama that do not show him in a good light are wrong. He could eat babies heads in front of you and you would try to explain it away.

You are a zombie.

2seaoat

No, I am correct. Why have we not dealt with the detainees if the release of five is such a danger? There were stupid people after WWII who wanted to execute or put pows in jail forever.......the war is over.

2seaoat wrote:No, I am correct.  Why have we not dealt with the detainees if the release of five is such a danger?  There were stupid people after WWII who wanted to execute or put pows in jail forever.......the war is over.

You are NOT correct, actually you are hardly ever correct.

I do realize in your mind you think you are. But fantasies don't count.

Using those leaked documents as a basis, NPR and The New York Times built a database on the prisoners in Guantánamo. Here's a brief look at who they are:

— Mullah Mohammad Fazl: Is thought to be 46 or 47 years old. According to documents from the Joint Task Force Guantánamo:

"Detainee aas the Taliban Deputy Minister of Defense during Operation Enduring Freedom and is an admitted senior commander who served as Chief of Staff of the Taliban Army and as a commander of the 22nd Division. Detainee is wanted by the UN for possible War crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiites. Detainee was associated with terrorist groups currently opposing US and Coalition forces."

— Mullah Norullah Noori: Is thought to be 46 or 47 years old. According to the documents:

"Detainee was a senior Taliban military commander in Mazar-e-Sharif during hostilities against US and Coalition forces in late 2001. Detainee was also the Taliban governor for the Balkh and Laghman provinces and is wanted by the United Nations (UN) for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiite Muslims. Detainee is associated with Supreme Taliban Commander Mullah Muhammad Omar, other senior Taliban officials, senior al-Qaida members and other extremist organizations and has remained a significant figure to Taliban supporters. Detainee's brother is a Taliban."

— Muhammad Nabi: Is thought to be 45 or 46 years old. According to the documents, he was considered "high risk," "high threat," and of "high" "intelligence value." The documents add:

"Detainee was a senior Taliban official who served in multiple leadership roles. Detainee had strong operational ties to Anti-Coalition Militia (ACM) groups including al-Qaida, the Taliban, the Haqqani Network, and the Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin... Detainee was a member of a joint al-Qaida/ Taliban ACM cell in Khowst and was involved in attacks against US and Coalition forces. Detainee maintained weapons caches and facilitated the smuggling of fighters and weapons."

— Khirullah Said Wali Khairkhwa: Is thought to be 46 or 47 years old. According to the documents:

"Detainee was a senior Taliban official serving as the Minister of Interior, Governor of Herat, and a military commander. Detainee was directly associated to Usama Bin Laden (UBL) and Taliban Supreme Commander Mullah Muhammad Omar, and was added to the UN financial freeze list. Following the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks, detainee represented the Taliban during meetings with Iranian officials seeking to support hostilities against US and Coalition forces. Detainee also attended a meeting at the direction of UBL, reportedly accompanied by members of HAMAS. Detainee and his deputy were probably associated with a militant training camp in Herat operated by deceased al-Qaida commander (in Iraq) Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Detainee was identified as a narcotics trafficker and probably used his position and influences to become one of the major opium drug lords in Western Afghanistan. Detainee probably used profits from drugs to promote Taliban interests in the area."

— Abdul Haq Wasiq: Is believed to be 42 or 43 years old. According to the documents:

"Detainee served as the Taliban Deputy Minister of Intelligence. Detainee had direct access to Taliban and Hezb-e-Islarni Gulbuddin leadership. He was central to the Taliban's efforts to form alliances with other Islamic fundamentalist groups to fight alongside the Taliban against US and Coalition forces after the 11 September 2001 attacks. Detainee utilized his office to support al-Qaida and to assist Taliban personnel elude capture. Detainee arranged for al-Qaida personnel to train Taliban intelligence staff in intelligence methods

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/31/317704932/who-were-the-five-guant-namo-detainees-released-in-prisoner-swap

so continue on traitor..... go suck it some more LOL

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:There is a huge difference between a deserter and a traitor. Let's be clear about that. The kid was not a traitor. He was a prisoner.

You are brilliant! You profess to know more than the men serving with him. Simply brilliant!

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:No, I am correct.  Why have we not dealt with the detainees if the release of five is such a danger?  There were stupid people after WWII who wanted to execute or put pows in jail forever.......the war is over.

Those released from GITMO were not prisoners of war. They are enemy combatants. They are the generals and leaders of terrorists sworn to kill us.

2seaoat

Those released from GITMO were not prisoners of war. They are enemy combatants. They are the generals and leaders of terrorists sworn to kill us.

They are no different than the nationalist Viet Nam citizens who fought us almost fifty years ago. They will not export terroism, and your characterization of them as terrorist is hysterical Orwellian double think. Israel exchanges 1000 Palestinians for one Israeli soldier, and we have this wonderful revisionist propaganda going full force.......the commander in chief brought one of our soldiers home......duh.

by Dreamsglore on 6/6/2014, 2:59 am
My ex-husband threw his medals overboard upon returning from Viet Nam and the horrors there.
-------
Stupid. Just plain stupid. Guess he was following John Kerry's lead.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum