Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Colbert to Replace Letterman

+5
othershoe1030
knothead
Hospital Bob
Nekochan
Sal
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/10/2014, 12:29 pm

Sal

Sal

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/stephen-colbert-replaces-david-letterman?utm_content=bufferba90e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Brilliant choice!

I guess the whole Cancel Colbert thing didn't quite achieve liftoff.

lol

What of his very best moments ....

2Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/10/2014, 12:56 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

A good choice, I think.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Colbert has a very specific and very stylized act which was of course very well suited for The Colbert Report.
It'll be interesting to see what his and the network's approach to him doing a show like this will end up being like.  Whether it will more resemble the Comedy Central show or if it will try to mold Colbert into something which more resembles what Letterman did.
I cannot, however, see Colbert involved with anything that doesn't feature his sarcasm shtick. That's his trademark.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:Colbert has a very specific and very stylized act which was of course very well suited for The Colbert Report.
It'll be interesting to see what his and the network's approach to him doing a show like this will end up being like.  Whether it will more resemble the Comedy Central show or if it will try to mold Colbert into something which more resembles what Letterman did.
I cannot,  however,  see Colbert involved with anything that doesn't feature his sarcasm shtick.  That's his trademark.

He'll be great.

He's probably tired of being in character for ten years.

Here's something somewhat out of character where he's funny, clever, charming, and sincere ....

If you don't watch the entire twenty minutes, he ended with this ....

“In my experience, you will truly serve only what you love, because, as the prophet says, service is love made visible.

If you love friends, you will serve your friends.

If you love community, you will serve your community.

If you love money, you will serve your money.

And if you love only yourself, you will serve only yourself. And you will have only yourself.

So no more winning. Instead, try to love others and serve others, and hopefully find those who love and serve you in return.”

That's good stuff.

knothead

knothead

Great choice . . . . I'll probably watch if true . . . I never watched Letterman ever!

Nekochan

Nekochan

Letterman can be sarcastic too. I think Colbert will tone it down a bit with his guests.

Sal

Sal

Rush Limbaugh framed CBS's decision to replace retiring "Late Show" host David Letterman with professional conservative skewer Stephen Colbert in some decidedly apocalyptic terms.

"CBS has just declared war on the Heartland of America," Limbaugh said Thursday on his radio show. "No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American values. Now it's just wide out in the open."

"What this hire means is a redefinition of what is "funny" and a redefinition of what is comedy," he continued. "It's the media planting a flag here. I think it's maybe the media's last stand, but it's a declaration. There's no unity in this hire. They've hired a partisan, so-called comedian to run a comedy show."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/limbaugh-colbert-late-show

Jealous much?

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:Letterman can be sarcastic too.  

Not like Colbert. Colbert's sarcasm is manifest in the character he plays. And on his Comedy Central show he's always "in character".
If he does the same character on "Late Night", it would be a total departure from the late night tv formula.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
If he does the same character on "Late Night",  it would be a total departure from the late night tv formula.

He's already said he's not doing that.

The question is, who will take over his character on the Colbert Report?

I suggest one of the crazy teabaggers from Congress.

They'd be just as outrageous and ridiculous while being dead serious.

Maybe, the Gohmert Report?

Colbert to Replace Letterman Wnd_gohmert_amnesty130715c-615x345

10Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/10/2014, 6:41 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
The question is, who will take over his character on the Colbert Report?

The Colbert Report is the personality of Stephen Colbert in character.  If another person can successfully imitate that,  or that Comedy Central would even attempt it,  would surprise me.
That would be like a continuation of Seinfeld with an all new cast.

11Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/11/2014, 10:27 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Too very cool! Love this guy. Can't wait to see how he does his show out of character. Satire is so effective.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=861732&ocid=ansentrel1

12Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/11/2014, 10:54 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Colbert is very talented. I think he'll strike the right balance. But we'll see.

13Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/11/2014, 9:47 pm

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:

Rush Limbaugh framed CBS's decision to replace retiring "Late Show" host David Letterman with professional conservative skewer Stephen Colbert in some decidedly apocalyptic terms.

"CBS has just declared war on the Heartland of America," Limbaugh said Thursday on his radio show. "No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American values. Now it's just wide out in the open."

"What this hire means is a redefinition of what is "funny" and a redefinition of what is comedy," he continued. "It's the media planting a flag here. I think it's maybe the media's last stand, but it's a declaration. There's no unity in this hire. They've hired a partisan, so-called comedian to run a comedy show."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/limbaugh-colbert-late-show

Jealous much?

lol

Why?

14Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/11/2014, 10:13 pm

2seaoat

I will miss Letterman.

15Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/11/2014, 11:07 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Rush Limbaugh is jealous because Colbert has talent, markle.
And it has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. Dennis Miller has comic talent as well.
Limbaugh is an evangelist, not an entertainer. If had the musical talent of Jimmy Swaggart he could be an evangelist entertainer. But he has no talent so he stays an evangelist.

16Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/12/2014, 7:07 pm

2seaoat

Dennis Miller has comic talent as well.

I would disagree. If he was playing baseball and hit one of three, he would be a star. A stand up guy who hits one in three is not a star. Dennis Miller is so rarely funny, the wait is rarely worth it.

17Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/13/2014, 5:44 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:Dennis Miller has comic talent as well.

I would disagree.  If he was playing baseball and hit one of three, he would be a star.  A stand up guy who hits one in three is not a star.  Dennis Miller is so rarely funny, the wait is rarely worth it.

I will miss Letterman too. He's did a great job. Colbert is into music, new bands and so on. I'm looking forward to seeing who he has as his band.

I never found Miller to be funny but I thought it was just because he sounded angry all the time and also his political positions are opposite mine which didn't make his take on things amusing. He just comes across as pissy to me.

18Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/13/2014, 6:18 pm

knothead

knothead

othershoe1030 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Dennis Miller has comic talent as well.

I would disagree.  If he was playing baseball and hit one of three, he would be a star.  A stand up guy who hits one in three is not a star.  Dennis Miller is so rarely funny, the wait is rarely worth it.

I will miss Letterman too. He's did a great job. Colbert is into music, new bands and so on. I'm looking forward to seeing who he has as his band.

I never found Miller to be funny but I thought it was just because he sounded angry all the time and also his political positions are opposite mine which didn't make his take on things amusing. He just comes across as pissy to me.

cheers cheers cheers 

19Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/13/2014, 9:14 pm

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:Rush Limbaugh is jealous because Colbert has talent,  markle.
And it has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.  Dennis Miller has comic talent as well.
Limbaugh is an evangelist,  not an entertainer.  If had the musical talent of Jimmy Swaggart he could be an evangelist entertainer.  But he has no talent so he stays an evangelist.

Colbert to Replace Letterman HystericallyLaughingmanandboy

That's just goofy.

20Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/13/2014, 10:41 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:Rush Limbaugh is jealous because Colbert has talent,  markle.
And it has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.  Dennis Miller has comic talent as well.
Limbaugh is an evangelist,  not an entertainer.  If had the musical talent of Jimmy Swaggart he could be an evangelist entertainer.  But he has no talent so he stays an evangelist.

Colbert to Replace Letterman HystericallyLaughingmanandboy

That's just goofy.

Q: When a man is the only man who laughs at his own joke, is it truly funny?

21Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/14/2014, 1:33 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle can't laugh at Colbert because he's liberal.  And seaoat and othershoe can't laugh at Miller cause he's conservative.
And I can't laugh at Limbaugh because I'm not braindead.

22Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/14/2014, 12:45 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:Markle can't laugh at Colbert because he's liberal.  And seaoat and othershoe can't laugh at Miller cause he's conservative.
And I can't laugh at Limbaugh because I'm not braindead.

Dennis Miller? I used to watch him do standup, but he's completely gone downhill. Othershoe is right...he comes off angry and cynical. Limbaugh an evangelist? That's a crazy idea, Bob. Limbaugh's a hatemonger. Colbert is a comedic genius.

23Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/14/2014, 2:04 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:  Limbaugh an evangelist?  That's a crazy idea, Bob.

He's a political evangelist in every sense of the term.  I've been calling him that for for years and I coined the term. It's probably one of the most uncrazy things I've ever come up with.

24Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/14/2014, 2:08 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

Dennis Miller?  I used to watch him do standup, but he's completely gone downhill.  

Of course you think he "went downhill". It's because he changed his politics and that was my whole point.

25Colbert to Replace Letterman Empty Re: Colbert to Replace Letterman 4/14/2014, 7:05 pm

seems like they are purposely trying to replace more conservative comedians with liberal comedians.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum