Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did you make a difference

+5
Floridatexan
RottiesRule
Sal
knothead
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 9:27 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My life can be summed up by two words.  The gumption trap.  Robert Persig coined that term.

So if I answer the question honestly,  no I haven't made any difference.

27Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 9:33 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:My life can be summed up by two words.  The gumption trap.  Robert Persig coined that term.

So if I answer the question honestly,  no I haven't made any difference.

Bob you made a difference in the motion picture and consession industry. How soon we forget.

28Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 9:47 am

2seaoat

Was duct tape part of the trophy in 1959? Pretty cool nonetheless. Run Forest run........

29Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 9:51 am

2seaoat

So if I answer the question honestly, no I haven't made any difference.

I can only speak for myself, but you have made a difference on this forum, and many a day you have left me with pleasant thought provoking posts.......it would be hard to put a price on the same.......sometimes small things matter.

30Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 10:09 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

Bob you made a difference in the motion picture and consession industry. How soon we forget.

Thanks for that,  Joani.  But if I continue to be honest with myself,  the truth is seaoat (thanks for the undeservedly kind words in your last post, seaoat) was right about that.  I'm afraid the gumption trap kicked me in the butt there too.
If I hadn't "made that difference",  I woulda never eaten all those snacks because it was against my religion (jewish) to visit those concession stands.
But by "making that difference", I got the snacks I carried into theaters at Dollar Tree,  Save-a-Lot, the T&W flea market and other dirt cheap sources.  Consequently,  I often literally filled every pocket and every crevice with snacks which have the highest calorie and saturated fat content in the entire food industry.  Enough to keep food in my mouth for the whole movie.  
And this has resulted in my triglycerides being off the chart and my arteries being hard as concrete.
The gumption trap manifests itself in many ways. And sadly I've fallen victim to most all of them.

31Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 10:26 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Thanks for that,  Joani.  But if I continue to be honest with myself,  the truth is seaoat (thanks for the undeservedly kind words in your last post, seaoat) was right about that.  I'm afraid the gumption trap kicked me in the butt there too.
If I hadn't "made that difference",  I woulda never eaten all those snacks because it was against my religion (jewish) to visit those concession stands.
But by "making that difference", I got the snacks I carried into theaters at Dollar Tree,  Save-a-Lot, the T&W flea market and other dirt cheap sources.  Consequently,  I often literally filled every pocket and every crevice with snacks which have the highest calorie and saturated fat content in the entire food industry.  Enough to keep food in my mouth for the whole movie.  
And this has resulted in my triglycerides being off the chart and my arteries being hard as concrete.
The gumption trap manifests itself in many ways. And sadly I've fallen victim to most all of them.

Bob, forget the triglycerides and non-flexible arteries....you spread the wealth around...Dollartree, Save-a-Lot, and other venues. You made a difference.

32Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 10:27 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Was duct tape part of the trophy in 1959?   Pretty cool nonetheless.  Run Forest run........

Just a little bit of morning nastiness.

33Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 10:37 am

2seaoat

Just a little bit of morning nastiness.

Hardly.......I just have this vision of Hallmark pulling his pants down and showing Johnson his buttocks. The trophy is cool, and I to played in Y ping pong tournaments, but the difference is I never won a trophy. I was a croquet champion and high jump champion in the city as a 12 year old.......jumping into hard packed sand with a simple roll....no foosberry flop or jumping mats. I ruled the croquet matches......dominated, but they only gave a blue ribbon.

34Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 10:42 am

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

I have made a difference in the lives of my family and myself, other people, not so much.

35Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 10:43 am

by Sal Yesterday at 6:54 pm
Pleased to meet you

Hope you guess my name

But what's puzzling you

Is the nature of my game
------
Gonna quote mick jagger pretending he is Satan? Wow

36Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 10:43 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Just a little bit of morning nastiness.

Hardly.......I just have this vision of Hallmark pulling his pants down and showing Johnson his buttocks.  The trophy is  cool, and I to played in Y ping pong tournaments, but the difference is I never won a trophy.  I was a croquet champion and high jump champion in the city as a 12 year old.......jumping into hard packed sand with a simple roll....no foosberry flop or jumping mats.  I ruled the croquet matches......dominated, but they only gave a blue ribbon.

I don't have that image of him at all. Some can show their ass with their pants up.....verbal bulling. Run Forest run.

37Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 11:07 am

The tape covered my name, as you well know. I am not the only one who took table tennis seriously. LOL Of course, all Pensacola people have an inferiority complex as you have stated many times. It was part of the terrible times we lived in before we were "enlightened" by new residents. We were so poor we had to steal cotton from the slaves to make Ping Pong balls. Times were hard.
From an interview with Fred Levin

IN: Would you rather be something other than a trial lawyer?
LEVIN: I'd love to be a great athlete. I laugh because I was the 12-year-old ping-pong champion of Pensacola. I beat one of the Catons for the championship.

38Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 11:09 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours ... In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness. H.D.T.

39Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 11:21 am

2seaoat

The tape covered my name, as you well know.

That was a nice trophy. We used to have a local sports store which used to engrave the trophies, and had all the local sports team uniforms, but then they just got blown out of the water with the national sports chains......it was a simple time, and that trophy shows a certain quality of construction which you would not find today.

40Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 11:38 am

Yes Things were very different. Getting an engraved trophy was pretty neat, even if it was for Ping Pong. The damn thing is 55 years old. One of the very few things I have from that time period of my life.

41Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 11:48 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr Ichi wrote:Yes  Things were very different.  Getting an engraved trophy was pretty neat, even if it was for Ping Pong.  The damn thing is 55 years old.  One of the very few things I have from that time period of my life.

Memories like that are very important.

42Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 11:58 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Joanimaroni wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:Yes  Things were very different.  Getting an engraved trophy was pretty neat, even if it was for Ping Pong.  The damn thing is 55 years old.  One of the very few things I have from that time period of my life.

Memories like that are very important.
Why ?  Memories like that clog up one's life no less than boxes of clothes that don't fit any more sitting in your living room. Ichi has a beautiful life right now. He lives in a flow of consciousness. Looking back is counter productive to that man. This whole thread is morbid. Reminds me of people that take vacation and spend their time taking pictures and never really immersing themselves in the grandeur of the moment. Then in some distant time try to shuffle through the pictures to find a feeling they never really had.

43Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 12:26 pm

Did you make a difference - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwsZaDp1YNHcf7_kyUDOvkYd0C3prjsbqRcPYrJfefea3GFWXb0g

No...

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Smile 

44Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 12:38 pm

2seaoat

This whole thread is morbid.

Not to those who have found happiness in their lives and do not fear their past or the decisions they made........I guess not having made a difference is painful, but it should not be......it is just memories......those who fail to look back and learn usually end up lost.

45Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 12:42 pm

Mr Ichi wrote:Table tennis or Ping Pong used to be a big deal here in Pensacola.  Fred Levin, Dave and his sons, Don and Larry were all big table tennis players.  I won the Senior Boys in 1960 after losing to Don Caton for the previous 2 years.  We even went to different High schools and Elementry schools and played exhibition games to promote the sport..  Practice tables  were hard to come by but most of us (Catons had their own table at their house) played in a little room at the YMCA.  The city wide tournaments were held at Sanders beach and  had a good draw. I can still play fairly well but the lost of vision in one eye has hurt my game.  One of my most prized possessions is this runner up trophy from 1959.
Did you make a difference - Page 2 258pm4h

That's really cool. I used to hang out at bayview with larry... he was out guru... lol. Bruce and I are still good friends... don not so much... lol. We were mostly rivals. Beating any of them at anything is a worthy accomplishment.

46Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 1:05 pm

2seaoat wrote:This whole thread is morbid.

Not to those who have found happiness in their lives and do not fear their past or the decisions they made........I guess not having made a difference is painful, but it should not be......it is just memories......those who fail to look back and learn usually end up lost.

Did you make a difference - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5xuaN2AmTZBpEhki8NBJfVmcspZSjmNNoQtd3FfJbZCotEeH1wQ

Yes humility is not one of your faults.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ALiADrJro

Smile 

47Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 1:27 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:This whole thread is morbid.

Those who spend their time living in the past usually die there long before they breathe their last breath.  Teo

48Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 1:36 pm

EVERYBODY makes a difference. Some good, some bad.

but EVERYBODY makes a difference.

49Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 1:52 pm

Did you make a difference - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq8cgp_kWrxZGknYmqRd8rIBC-XQlWXjdJRAf86ChsgUew063E2Q

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB74Wxp8BWw

Smile 

50Did you make a difference - Page 2 Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 2:05 pm

. wrote:EVERYBODY makes a difference. Some good, some bad.

but EVERYBODY makes a difference.

Not true. Some people make no difference at all. Good or bad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum