Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did you make a difference

+5
Floridatexan
RottiesRule
Sal
knothead
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Did you make a difference Empty Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 5:01 pm

2seaoat

In a wonderful life we were able to see that George Bailey in his everyday ordinary life made a difference in a great many folks lives. In sum, did you make this a better world?

Are you at a place different from when you began?

2Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 5:26 pm

George Bailey is a fictional character and the main protagonist in Frank Capra's 1946 film It's a Wonderful Life

3Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 5:38 pm

2seaoat

With little time...........I see no difference, and I have never been more comfortable in the same. No illusions of youth, nor narcissism.......just simple acceptance of how short our visit is, and how little real control we have in that visit or the outcomes in our daily lives.

4Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 6:50 pm

knothead

knothead

Mr. Oats, you pose a heck of a question that each of us should ask of ourselves. Soooooo, have I made a difference? Some, perhaps, but even that could be an overstatement on my part. I like to think I have been a positive influence to my grand children, of course, but they would be the arbiters of that, not I. Honestly, I try very hard to not burden others with my own stories of success and/or failure because if they really know me, again, they would be the sole arbiters, not I. I have endeavored to make my own community better by advocating for more responsible governance and the curtailment of the waste of resources, confronting an endemic GOB system with determination and have enjoyed limited but meaningful success. I will continue to wield what little influence I have to ensure our leaders will not be allowed to make decisions that benefit their inner circle at the cost and waste of public funds and convince those same folks to act responsibly and on behalf of our tax payers as well as the well being of the community in which I live. I so wish I could be more specific but it would require me surrendering my anonymity and I, like you, prefer to remain a ghost to use your phraseology. [b] In the scheme of things my answer is the difference I have made is minimal but I remain proud of the success I enjoyed.[b]

5Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 7:54 pm

Sal

Sal

Pleased to meet you

Hope you guess my name

But what's puzzling you

Is the nature of my game

6Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 8:04 pm

RottiesRule

and was it a positive or negative difference?

Over the years, I've been involved with saving people in car accidents, Industrial accidents and Heart attacks.
If they live their lives with positive actions it's a good thing, but if they commit a crime did I make a difference?

Just a thought.

I will never know my true impact.

7Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 8:19 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Still trying.

8Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 8:42 pm

Did you make a difference?

For me. it would depend on who you ask or what yard stick you use to measure my actions. Personally, I have a very good denial system.  I find it some what easy to excuse my actions that have hurt others while I strongly remember the good things I have done.  Over the years I have hurt some people and caused them pain and suffering.  Some of it was unintentional but some things I did on purpose.  Does the bad I have done, out weight the supposed "good" I have done?  Damn, if I know. . I would think, yes, but I am very biased.

9Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 8:50 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they will.
Pythagoras

10Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 9:40 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

11Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:02 pm

2seaoat

How do you measure the worth of a human being. Is it how much capital has been collected? Is it how many good deeds? Does each human have a unique worth which cannot be measured? In our lives, we often ignored the least among us, and gave idolatry to the rich and famous......yet how do we gauge the contributions of an individual's life?

12Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:18 pm

I hope I did. I've worked the last 35 yrs. working in a profession that didn't pay a whole lot but I did it because I wanted to not because they paid me. I could of done something else.Some people were very grateful.Some were not. I think many people would say I did and that's good enough.

13Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:32 pm

2seaoat

Nothing feels better than helping someone.

14Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:37 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Geeze lookie here two saints...LOL I can't look you got your halos polished up too bright....

11The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

15Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:43 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dreamsglore wrote:I hope I did. I've worked the last 35 yrs. working in a profession that didn't pay a whole lot but I did it because I wanted to not because they paid me. I could of done something else.Some people were very grateful.Some were not. I think many people would say I did and that's good enough.

I second that.

16Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:47 pm

2seaoat

Geeze lookie here two saints.

I am no saint. I never helped as much as I could, and I often took the path of least resistance. I should have done much more.

17Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:55 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:Nothing feels better than helping someone.

That's not what she said. 

18Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/25/2014, 11:57 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Saints..well let me see, one got paid to do it the other did it because it made him feel good....lotsa love huh..LOL.

Actually I like Dreams so I guess even Mother Teresa got paid so..yeah you may be a Saint Dreams..who am I to judge ?

19Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 12:16 am

I'm not a saint,Teo. Far from it but I don't like to see anyone be it humans or animals suffer for any reason. So let's just say I did it for myself which is less admirable and leaves me out of the saint category.

20Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 12:23 am

I have a house full of wheelchair athletes playing ping pong and pool tournaments... and a few jello shots in between.

21Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 12:29 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PkrBum wrote:I have a house full of wheelchair athletes playing ping pong and pool tournaments... and a few jello shots in between.

If you provide the jello shots for free I think we got you lined up for instant sainthood!

22Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 12:32 am

2seaoat

and a few jello shots in between.

nothing worse than getting the advantage by giving jello shots to wheelchair bound ping pong players......maybe loosening a few bolts on their buggies and setting the table up near the basement stairs.......

pk's victory dance

23Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 2:02 am

I'm a tennis coach for an adaptive sports program... this was our annual party. Great fun. My sister is one of the players is how I got started in it. Now I've been roped into coaching a middle school boys team and both boys and girls hs teams.

I tried being a teaching pro out of college but hated it... I love this. I guess it's true... those who can't do teach.

24Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 2:49 am

2seaoat wrote:and a few jello shots in between.

nothing worse than getting the advantage by giving jello shots to wheelchair bound ping pong players......maybe loosening a few bolts on their buggies and setting the table up near the basement stairs.......

pk's victory dance

http://vitaminl.tv/video/2319

25Did you make a difference Empty Re: Did you make a difference 1/26/2014, 8:00 am

Table tennis or Ping Pong used to be a big deal here in Pensacola.  Fred Levin, Dave and his sons, Don and Larry were all big table tennis players.  I won the Senior Boys in 1960 after losing to Don Caton for the previous 2 years.  We even went to different High schools and Elementry schools and played exhibition games to promote the sport..  Practice tables  were hard to come by but most of us (Catons had their own table at their house) played in a little room at the YMCA.  The city wide tournaments were held at Sanders beach and  had a good draw. I can still play fairly well but the lost of vision in one eye has hurt my game.  One of my most prized possessions is this runner up trophy from 1959.
Did you make a difference 258pm4h

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum