Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama didnt care that poor people won't be able to afford the new light bubs

+2
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:See, every retard liberal only makes excuses for Obama and can never provide a solution. At 5-6 bucks a pop, that's probably their child's lunch money that day.

Are you really that dense?  Z has explained it to you several times.  Let's try an approach with numbers.  See if you can wrap your head around this.

Annual cost in electricity for various bulbs that produce 800 lumens of light

Incandescent = $300

Florescent = $75

LED = $30

Source: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/led4.htm

Also note that an LED bulb lasts considerably longer than an incandescent bulb.

Incandescent = 1,000 hours

Florescent = 10,000 hours

LED = 100,000 hours

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

The better question here is this: How on earth can poor people afford to use a bulb that costs 10 times as much in power consumption and has to be replaced 100 times as often?  

Which costs the user more, PACEDOG?  Incandescent, florescent, or LED?

By a show of hands, who here thinks the next response will be "But...how can poor people afford to use LED?  Obama doesn't care about poor people!"

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Good ideas don't need the bootstrap of govt to squeeze the windpipe of bad ideas.

Humans are pretty good at surviving/adapting. If given the opportunity.

That explains why 36% of the US population is obese. Obesity is good for you!

Just look at the good idea of obesity taking hold! America - or, red states, at least - are getting it right!

Obama didnt care that poor people won't be able to afford the new light bubs - Page 2 4948728172_b46a6be6f3_d

boards of FL

boards of FL

Interesting.  I decided to compare the above obesity map to the last electoral map for the 2012 presidential election.  It appears that political persuasion does in fact correlate with obesity.  Who would have thought!  I guess we can add that to poverty, level of education, personal wealth, home ownership rates, teen pregnancy rates, and effective federal taxes paid versus received.

Keep employing those good ideas, conservatives!  Don't let government tell you that you shouldn't get your dinner from a bucket!  You know a good idea when you see it!  

Obama didnt care that poor people won't be able to afford the new light bubs - Page 2 VMfk1LE

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

LED bulbs are fantastic. I have two LED flood lights over my garage that burn all night in a photovoltaic fixture and light up the entire front of my property. Here they are:

Obama didnt care that poor people won't be able to afford the new light bubs - Page 2 Par38_11

They burn like mini-suns, yet they consume just 18-watts of electricity apiece. That is 36 watts total (less than a 40 watt incandescent bulb). I have a fixture out back with a 9-watt LED globe in it that lights up half my back yard. Yes the bulbs were expensive; however, they likely paid for themselves in their first year of use. I now have LED bulbs in any fixture that gets used more than a couple of hours in my house. You can even get LED tubes to replace fluorescent tubes in your kitchen. I don't have any of those, however, as my wife wouldn't let me try them.

Any initiative that increases energy efficiency is good for our people. Congress was smart in nudging the nation toward more efficiency in lighting.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

boards of FL

boards of FL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote: I don't have any of those, however, as my wife wouldn't let me try them.

What!? Just go buy them and put them in. She will never know.

boards of FL wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:See, every retard liberal only makes excuses for Obama and can never provide a solution. At 5-6 bucks a pop, that's probably their child's lunch money that day.

Are you really that dense?  Z has explained it to you several times.  Let's try an approach with numbers.  See if you can wrap your head around this.

Incandescent = $300

Florescent = $75

LED = $30

LED = 100,000 hours

The better question here is this: How on earth can poor people afford to use a bulb that costs 10 times as much in power consumption and has to be replaced 100 times as often?  

By a show of hands, who here thinks the next response will be "But...how can poor people afford to use LED?  Obama doesn't care about poor people!"

What's the initial outlay to replace all of the bulbs in a house? According to you libtards, poor people can't even afford to eat or pay their bills, so why are we forcing them to buy 5-6 dollar light bulbs?

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:By a show of hands, who here thinks the next response will be "But...how can poor people afford to use LED?  Obama doesn't care about poor people!"

PACEDOG#1 wrote:What's the initial outlay to replace all of the bulbs in a house? According to you libtards, poor people can't even afford to eat or pay their bills, so why are we forcing them to buy 5-6 dollar light bulbs?

Wow.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:

Incandescent = $300

Florescent = $75

LED = $30

LED = 100,000 hours

Not true, another lie from the far left Progressives.

800 lumens equal a 60 watt bulb.

Multiply the kilowatt hours by your local electricity rate to see how much money you spend to power that bulb. For example, if electricity costs 10 cents per kWh, a 60 watt light bulb left on for one year would cost you $52.56 (60 / 1000 * (365 * 24) * .10) Alternatively, a 13 watt CFL left on for the same period would cost $11.39 (13 / 1000 * (365 * 24) * .10)

How many people leave a 60 watt bulb on 24 hours a day, seven days a week?
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Kilowatts-Used-by-Light-Bulbs

Once again, Boards of Florida LIES for no reason whatsoever other than being lazy.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Yes, but a 7-watt LED bulb, which is a suitable replacement for a 60-watt bulb, costs $6.13 per year to use (using Markle's math). I can take the $46.43 in savings over using a 60-watt incandescent bulb, and buy 5 more 7-watt LED bulbs, with money leftover. Then, I can save $232.15 the next year, and buy even more LED bulbs. What is not to like about this?

Now, I will say that LED bulbs are not a panacea. I have had several fail since I started using them 3 years ago. The LED lighting elements might last 50,000 hours, but the micro-electronics that support them clearly can and do fail. Also, cheap Chinese construction means the components fall apart some times. However, this will not deter me from using LED bulbs wherever I can. And, prices keep falling each year, which means they are becoming more affordable as time passes.

I am not using LED bulbs because I am worried about my carbon footprint. For me this is a "green" intiative, however. Green, meaning
$$$$ (LOL!).

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Yes, but a 7-watt LED bulb, which is a suitable replacement for a 60-watt bulb, costs $6.13 per year to use (using Markle's math). I can take the $46.43 in savings over using a 60-watt incandescent bulb, and buy 5 more 7-watt LED bulbs, with money leftover. Then, I can save $232.15 the next year, and buy even more LED bulbs. What is not to like about this?

Now, I will say that LED bulbs are not a panacea. I have had several fail since I started using them 3 years ago. The LED lighting elements might last 50,000 hours, but the micro-electronics that support them clearly can and do fail. Also, cheap Chinese construction means the components fall apart some times. However, this will not deter me from using LED bulbs wherever I can. And, prices keep falling each year, which means they are becoming more affordable as time passes.

I am not using LED bulbs because I am worried about my carbon footprint. For me this is a "green" intiative, however. Green, meaning
$$$$ (LOL!).

And that is YOUR choice.  Also, you are skipping the part of the incandescent bulb cost being $50.00 per year for 24/7 use.  Who leaves their lights on 24/7?

I'm happy you like LED bulbs and think you're saving tons of money.  That's what the market place does and government has no place.

MANY low income people and many others do not own their home but RENT.  They do not care if a bulb last for years.  Many won't replace incandescent bulbs much less ones that cost much more.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
Not true, another lie from the far left Progressives.

800 lumens equal a 60 watt bulb.

Multiply the kilowatt hours by your local electricity rate to see how much money you spend to power that bulb. For example, if electricity costs 10 cents per kWh, a 60 watt light bulb left on for one year would cost you $52.56 (60 / 1000 * (365 * 24) * .10) Alternatively, a 13 watt CFL left on for the same period would cost $11.39 (13 / 1000 * (365 * 24) * .10)

How many people leave a 60 watt bulb on 24 hours a day, seven days a week?
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Kilowatts-Used-by-Light-Bulbs

Once again, Boards of Florida LIES for no reason whatsoever other than being lazy.

Now this is funny.  Markle, did it ever occur to you that after you said "Not true..." you went on to post numbers that basically back up exactly what I posted, and effectively show that it is true?  Are you really that innumerate that this most basic of a math problem escapes you?

Your cost numbers

Incandescent: $52.66

CFL: $11.39

My cost numbers

Incandescent: $300.00

CFL: $75

The difference in magnitude is irrelevant.  Instead look at the cost ratio between the two bulbs.  My numbers show us that the incandescent costs 4 times as much in electricity usage (300/75) as the CFL.  Your numbers show us that the incandescent costs 4.6 times as much (52.66/11.39).  Does any of this sink in to you?  Do you at all grasp the idea that you just backed up my post?  Are you capable of grasping the relationship between the electrical costs of these two bulbs?

boards of FL

boards of FL

How many modern conservatives does it take to replace a light bulb? Honestly, the answer is "null set". Not one among them even grasps the problem!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:How many modern conservatives does it take to replace a light bulb?  Honestly, the answer is "null set".   Not one among them even grasps the problem!

Good one. They probably wish they could go back to using whale oil and candles.

We would like to spend less than 100 bucks replacing our light bulbs... Don't know how you expect poor people who can barely eat and pay their bills to so the same.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum