Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

As Obamacare kicks in, docs requiring patients pay deductibles 100% up front before service is rendered- thanks Barry

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-14/patients-pay-before-seeing-doctor-as-deductibles-spread.html

When Barbara Retkowski went to a Cape Coral, Florida, health clinic in August to treat a blood condition, she figured the center would bill her insurance company. Instead, it demanded payment upfront.

Earlier in the year, another clinic insisted she pay her entire remaining insurance deductible for the year -- more than $1,000 -- before the doctor would even see her.

The practice of upfront payment for non-emergency care has been spreading in the U.S. as deductibles rise. Now, the advent of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is likely to accelerate that trend.

Jake92

For the last 20 plus years I have had to pay my co-pay BEFORE seeing the dr for routine visits...

dumpcare

I have no idea what obamacare has to do with upfront payment for non er care. I've been paying my copays and deductible up front for over 10 years when seeing doc or having any procedures done.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

You pay for your visits, out of pocket until your deductible is met. Once met, your insurance kicks in. It's the same with all insurance companies and Medicare.

knothead

knothead

Another of PD's irrelevant threads . . . . . sigh

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:Another of PD's irrelevant threads . . . . . sigh
It's really not irrelevant, I'm sure many people will be surprised about the high deductibles and out of pocket expenses.

dumpcare

Joanimaroni wrote:
It's really not irrelevant, I'm sure many people will be surprised about the high deductibles and out of pocket expenses.
Yes and no. It has been that way for years and years, but if a person has bought direct and does not understand what they bought then yes they will be shocked and most don't understand, all they see is the copay for a doctor and drugs and nothing else. That is why I keep wondering why people buy direct without someone to explain what they can expect.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ppaca wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Yes and no. It has been that way for years and years, but if a person has bought direct and does not understand what they bought then yes they will be shocked and most don't understand, all they see is the copay for a doctor and drugs and nothing else.  That is why I keep wondering why people buy direct without someone to explain what they can expect.

The extremely high deductibles.....will not be met by the average insured person/ family. There routine care and illnesses will all be out of pocket.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum