Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Babyboomers are retiring overseas

3 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I could see doing that.  In many ways, the world is smaller now than it was 20 years ago.    But it's still a long damn flight from the US to Bangkok.

I could never do that flight, but for a great many ill prepared babyboomers Thailand is truly becoming a destination.
They don't have your $22,000 shots over there.
Yes, I very much doubt it.
If I were thinking of retiring outside the US, I would choose a place a little closer and a little more modernized.  But then, it probably wouldn't be as cheap to live there.
Exactly. If youre a boomer and have health needs, I think youll probably find very few places affordable to move to. Probably better off staying in this socialized country.
I would be thinking something more like Costa Rica but I'd have to go there for an extended stay before I'd move there.
Its not as cheap as people say in costa rica. Ive been there. It cost me a bunch.
Yep for tourists, but is very inexpensive for residents.
really? I don't recall the restaurants there asking if I was a resident or not. or the food stuffs I bought at the stores.

also, Americans would be in a cultural shock if they try to live out of the city areas. They seriously allow you to build a house out of anything you can find. and good god, driving down the road on the side of those mountains is like playing chicken.

costa rica is a pretty place and you can retire there, but you better plan ahead just like a person would if they were retiring here in the US.

with that said. you could probably move to a lot of places with a retirement check, however, you are going to give up most of the comfy conveniences e Americans have built in our culture. Just expect that. Im sure it would work for some. but not the many.
Chrissy, you seem so jaded about this. One can retire comfortably on 1K per month in Costa Rica as well as Thailand, and that does not include building a cardboard house.

Like with any country, the largest percentage of the locals can look at a tourist and pick him/her out of a crowd. Also most locals do not eat out, they prepare meals at home. Who cares about the comfy conveniences that the US has compared to Costa Rica. Conveniences are just that, a convenience not a necessity. If one wants a piece of the good life with low retirement and cost-of-living, then sacrifices would have to be surrounded.
Im not jaded on this. have you gone to costa rica? Im just giving my assessment of when I went, that's all. No one there picked me out as a tourist when I went. The local stores did not hurry up and change the prices on stuff when I walked through the front door lol , same goes for the menus when I went out to eat. I went to both, fancy places and local little places.

There are big fancy rich houses in places there and there are some serious scary looking places. for a thousand dollars a month you better have bought a house and have it paid for, just as would need to do here. or your going to live in the hood. That's all im saying.

Now if you think people who are of retirement age can go over there and live with the monkeys, more power to you lol Just let me tell you, those damn monkeys are mean.

and I havnt been to Thailand so I cant say one way or the other, but I have seen some pretty nasty political upheavals that have gone on over there on the news.

I'm not against traveling to go to these places. I like to travel, I don't do enough of it.  

I do however think most Americans are a little pampered and wouldnt do well in these environments. The foods are different and the bacterias that live there are different so if your going to go over there as a old person, beware, you better have more than a $1000 a month because in all likely, your going to get sick a good bit.
Yes I have been to Costa Rica, numerous times. You are definitely delusional if you think that they cannot recognize a tourist over a local.

I have an Army buddy that retired shortly after I did. He started pricing 3 bedroom 2 bath houses here in the states and found the cheapest one was almost 200K with a mortgage payment of almost 2k per month. He bought an equivalent house for 85K and his mortgage payment is $600.00 a month. He does not have AC because it is not required as the average annual temperature is 73 degrees.

As for the monkeys, he has made pets out of them and has never had a issue with a single one of them.
I not saying recognize me as a tourist. but if you think those people went and changed the prices on their shit in those stores you are flapping ridiculous.

food prices there are high, sorry but they just are. foods like we eat are even higher.

and the male monkeys are mean. but they are cute. I just threw the monkey thing in for fun, I liked that part.

You might want to look up house prices there. there are 2 sets of people there, rich and poor. that's it.

an American going over with a $1000. to spend for each month is not going to live well. unless your definition of living well and mine are two different things, which it could be biker boy.

I'm going to costa rica in the spring for an astronomy thing. Never been... looking forward to it.

http://www.travelquesttours.com/tours/costa-rica-southern-sky-party-2/welcome/

PkrBum wrote:I'm going to costa rica in the spring for an astronomy thing. Never been... looking forward to it.

Babyboomers are retiring overseas - Page 2 Th?id=H.4619526296766417&w=242&h=179&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

Have a great time!

If you have the capability post some pics of our wonderful universe.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_PQZfRL_o

Very Happy 

PkrBum wrote:I'm going to costa rica in the spring for an astronomy thing. Never been... looking forward to it.

Take me with you. Wink 

Chrissy wrote:

Take me with you. Wink 
lol... you would probably enjoy it more than I'm going to. I mean... it should be nice and all... but I'm really more into the physics and discovery than just star gazing. I'm taking my mom as a gift... she loves astronomy and star gazing. I'm hoping to meet some hot latinas and do some fishing... play some tennis... etc.

PkrBum wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Take me with you. Wink 
lol... you would probably enjoy it more than I'm going to. I mean... it should be nice and all... but I'm really more into the physics and discovery than just star gazing. I'm taking my mom as a gift... she loves astronomy and star gazing. I'm hoping to meet some hot latinas and do some fishing... play some tennis... etc.
That is so sweet. You just made me smile so big with that. Glad you are taking your mom. Youre going to have a great time.

carpe dium friend Very Happy 

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Chrissy wrote:
I not saying recognize me as a tourist. but if you think those people went and changed the prices on their shit in those stores you are flapping ridiculous.

food prices there are high, sorry but they just are. foods like we eat are even higher.

and the male monkeys are mean. but they are cute. I just threw the monkey thing in for fun, I liked that part.

You might want to look up house prices there. there are 2 sets of people there, rich and poor. that's it.

an American going over with a $1000. to spend for each month is not going to live well. unless your definition of living well and mine are two different things, which it could be biker boy.
Here is an example of your expensive real estate in Costa Rica.

Babyboomers are retiring overseas - Page 2 Pic_0010

Located in the mountains is this private estate consisting of just over 5 acres of land with beautiful forest and fresh air. The cabin on the property is 5 bedrooms, 3 baths with a 2 car garage, large living room area with chimney and a game room below the home.

Roughly 2,000 square feet is the main cabin with an additional 800 square foot 2 bedroom, 1 bath caretakers quarters.

Now what do you think this would cost you here in the. You could not touch this here in the US specially on 5 acres and in the mountains. Here you would pay 250 to 300K for this.

I will not argue this with you as it is not worth it. I know what real estate prices are and I know what by buddy lived off of per month. So it is useless to argue over something as menial as this.

Last edited by Ghost Rider on 10/6/2013, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Located in the mountains is this private estate consisting of just over 5 acres of land with beautiful forest and fresh air. The cabin on the property is 5 bedrooms, 3 baths with a 2 car garage, large living room area with chimney and a game room below the home.

Roughly 2,000 square feet is the main cabin with an additional 800 square foot 2 bedroom, 1 bath caretakers quarters.

Now what do you think this would cost you here in the. You could not touch this here in the US specially on 5 acres and in the mountains. Here you would pay 250 to 300K for this.
so glad you've been busy finding my retirement home LOL

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Chrissy wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

You are very welcome. Glad I could accommodate you. Granted there are more expensive and a whole lot less expensive homes there. I too would like a retirement home like that.

Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

You are very welcome. Glad I could accommodate you. Granted there are more expensive and a whole lot less expensive homes there. I too would like a retirement home like that.
in all honesty biker dude, Ive always liked you although you have not liked me.

Im playful, somebodies got to do it. okkkkkkkkkkkkk

There are people who live pretty well on a 1,000 a month in the USA.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Chrissy wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

in all honesty biker dude, Ive always liked you although you have not liked me.

Im playful, somebodies got to do it. okkkkkkkkkkkkk

Chrissy, I have nothing against you personally, I just do not agree with some of your comments/opinions. But that is the way the world revolves, if we all agreed, it would be a terribly boring place.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum