Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's your explanation of this?

+4
gulfbeachbandit
nadalfan
Markle
othershoe1030
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

SeaBass wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
SeaBass wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:Well, I don't think I "go off" on you very often if ever so let's let that drop?

We just have different views of what the parties stand for a what their goals are. Special interests have too much power in both parties so it is hard for the ordinary citizen to have much meaningful effective input. Your list:

personal responsibility
smaller government
fiscal responsibility to not saddle our nations children with massive debt
free market capitalism
a strong national defense
constitutional defenders

Personal responsibility can also be read as 'you're on your own' which has its advantages but sounds to some of us like saying the government doesn't have a responsibility to create laws and infrastructure that benefit the economy and people as a whole, for example the highway system (federal, not state), and whatever input, tax support etc. the feds have in ports, banking, etc.
Smaller government, this sounds to my progressive ears like a recipe for disaster (see financial melt-down due largely to unregulated Wall Street) Those who have accumulated enough wealth to be in a position to invest and create more wealth don't need as much help outright from the feds as say a young student just graduating from college eager to make his/her place in the world unless he can (as Romney suggested) borrow money from his father. And of course many/most businesses would rather dump their toxic waste into the nearest river than to have the expense of conforming to environmental protection laws (very short sighted of them).

Fiscal responsibility is always a good goal for everyone when applied fairly across the budgetary landscape. Let's not forget the votes in congress that passed with lightning speed to lift the sequestration cutbacks for the air traffic controllers because it was inconvenient for them to have to be delayed leaving DC for the summer break.

Free market capitalism, doesn't exist so I don't know why that makes the list. I think having the strongest military on the planet sort of seals that deal. We are in excess in this regard although no one wants to be defenseless of course. And who is not a fan of the constitution?
Let me make this short.

It IS NOT the job of our government to insure we are fed, clothed, housed, have phones, have internet or have healthcare. It never was. It has ALWAYS been our jobs to provide those things for ourselves.

daddy gov can not baby sit us all and change our little diapers and wipe the slobber from our chins each time we cry. a system like that is doomed.

and free market capitalism should exist as it once did without gov interference. ie, bailouts, QE and interference in who gets a loan. etc etc etc

and no offense, but your puppets in the house right now have massacred the constitution. but I will be fair, the lousy bunch of repubs havnt had the back bone for a long time to stand up to what is going on for they themselves have learned the value of appeasing the hands out public over doing whats right for the country. in other words, we are in deep shit. I know youre not worried, because I bet in your mind all is needed is another program run by the gov.......Neutral 

Somehow you conflate government acting as a referee with cradle to grave snot wiping and that's not my vision. I would just like the little guy (most of us) to stand a snowballs chance in hell of being treated fairly in the economy. Every time the government bails out some high roller all the mom and pops who went under yell about how, gee, no one bailed us out.

The government should work for "we the people" and it now works more for "we the corporations" that's what I'm saying. I don't want a baby sitter I just want a more level playing field.

I don't like making blanket statements about bailouts because in some cases rescuing a company has so many positive consequences like the auto industry for example. Letting that go down the drain would have had a disastrous ripple effect throughout the economy. What really bugs me though is how Wall Street played all their complicated games to the point where no one could track down what was really going on and never yet has paid the price for it with no big wigs going to court much less prison. Too big to jail as they say.
You talk about level playing fields then you go on to explain why your fav bailout is good.

What do you mean by a level playing field for the little guy btw?

Do you assume that corporations are just born into the world BIG?

Id really appreciate it if you could expand what you mean by a level playing field for small guys. We may be getting to the meat of our differences after all.
I don't even do my own income tax and don't pretend to be any kind of expert on taxation issues however it is not rocket science to notice that there are many companies and corporations making huge profits that pay no taxes whatsoever. In simple terms a level playing field would include a tax system wherein even the big dogs pay some reasonable amount of taxes instead of walking away with huge profits while avoiding taxes. The powerful have, well, power. They have the power to hire lobbyists and squads of tax experts to encourage congress to pass laws that benefit their industry. Real small businesses of the mom and pop startup types don't have that ability so the code ends up working more to the benefit of the bigger corporations tilting the playing field in their direction.

I suppose we've all heard the saying: It takes money to make money? Those who have already made theirs set the rules by which all other also play. It is not a level playing field. It is rigged.

Conversely I think the laws (government) should favor the truly small and startup businesses and not place their lawmaking thumb on the scale to aid the big guys.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/02/09/10-Big-Corporate-Tax-Breaks.aspx#page1

It is often remarked that our corporate tax rate is 35% but in practice it is much lower. In this list of groups that avoid taxes the highest one is less than 5%. Who among us would not enjoy paying our income tax at those rates? I don't think that would be a good idea, just saying it is attractive.

http://www.businessinsider.com/companies-pay-lowest-tax-loopholes-2011-2#16-red-hat-inc-rht-1

I cannot get "in the weeds" of tax laws so this offering of my view is just a generalization regarding what I see as government not acting in the best interests of the people but instead, favoring the powerful. I don't think that's what 'of the people, by the people, for the people stands for.

The expense to do business is part of the end cost of a product... which is usually taxed again... bought by taxed dollars... which are further taxed by the printing of dollars. But there are certainly winners and losers... so you did stumble upon one thing relevant.

othershoe1030 wrote:
Somehow you conflate government acting as a referee with cradle to grave snot wiping and that's not my vision. I would just like the little guy (most of us) to stand a snowballs chance in hell of being treated fairly in the economy. Every time the government bails out some high roller all the mom and pops who went under yell about how, gee, no one bailed us out.

The government should work for "we the people" and it now works more for "we the corporations" that's what I'm saying. I don't want a baby sitter I just want a more level playing field.

I don't like making blanket statements about bailouts because in some cases rescuing a company has so many positive consequences like the auto industry for example. Letting that go down the drain would have had a disastrous ripple effect throughout the economy. What really bugs me though is how Wall Street played all their complicated games to the point where no one could track down what was really going on and never yet has paid the price for it with no big wigs going to court much less prison. Too big to jail as they say.
What's your explanation of this? - Page 3 Th?id=H.4665396494796050&pid=1

If those companies needed to be bailed out with my tax dollars then I should have been sent voting shares of stocks.

I guarantee my votes would be for some changes both high and low in the company so I could see the most % of return on my investment.

If they didn't like the pay cuts both high and low, which includes massive bonus slashing, they know where the front door is and don't let it hit them in the ass on the way out because there's hundreds of thousands of just as capable people willing to take their place.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum