Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The incoherence of this administrations Mideast "non-policy"

+4
gulfbeachbandit
Margin Call
boards of FL
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

This little tidbit concerning the Egypt fiasco illustrates the lead from behind nature of this administration

"In this Egyptian drama, the United States did not give the best of itself. When the Obama administration could not call the coup d'état by its name, we put on display our unwillingness to honor our own democratic creed. Egypt has long been in the American strategic orbit. When our secretary of state opined that the army was "restoring democracy," we gave away the moral and strategic incoherence of an administration that has long lost its way."

http://ebird.osd.mil/ebird2/ebfiles/e20130815928705.html

nochain wrote:This little tidbit concerning the Egypt fiasco illustrates the lead from behind nature of this administration

"In this Egyptian drama, the United States did not give the best of itself. When the Obama administration could not call the coup d'état by its name, we put on display our unwillingness to honor our own democratic creed. Egypt has long been in the American strategic orbit. When our secretary of state opined that the army was "restoring democracy," we gave away the moral and strategic incoherence of an administration that has long lost its way."

http://ebird.osd.mil/ebird2/ebfiles/e20130815928705.html
    Calling it what it was...a coup would have saved us some money!...The Sec of State was BUSY.....sailing...give them a break!...

Pretty much every move Obama has made in the middle east has been fucked up. His support of any little movement that rebels against any government over there is sickening. He just wasn't ready for prime time where the middle east is concerned. Hey, and I voted for him. I still wouldn't vote for the guys the other party put up against him. They would have been even worse.

We've needed to get out of that area of the world for a long time now. Israel is capable of taking up for itself.

Sal

Sal

The Muslim Brotherhood endorses this thread.

Sal wrote:The Muslim Brotherhood endorses this thread.
Obama endorsed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood (how is that working out sportsfans) so whats your point pinhead?

boards of FL

boards of FL

nochain wrote:
Obama endorsed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood (how is that working out sportsfans) so whats your point pinhead?
So what course of action do you support, nochain?

Margin Call

Margin Call

nochain wrote:
What a genius method of smoking them out of their hiding spaces.

boards of FL wrote:
nochain wrote:
Wow, I love a parade! The three blind mice have now chimed in (Sally, BOF, and Margin) without a single lucid response among them.

What would I do? Pull out of the Mideast, quit supporting them and let them sort it all out. Put the "saved" money into upgrading the efficiency of our infrastructure (particularly electrical grids and generation plants), build a few more nuke power plants, make some CAREFULLY considered (for a change) investment in renewables, and quit pretending we care about the people of those country's when in reality it's oil we are after. The U.S. is (and has been) universally disliked in the M/E so give them what they want - freedom from our interference. I would give it less than 5 years until total anarchy sets in over there.

Now, what would you propose Boards? I eagerly await a response.

boards of FL

boards of FL

nochain wrote:What would I do? Pull out of the Mideast, quit supporting them and let them sort it all out.
I'm not asking you about what you would do in general as president but, rather, about Egypt specifically. You just started a threat whining about our policy towards Egypt, so I'm asking you what you would do? State what you feel is the optimal policy in dealing with Egypt, and then differentiate your policy from that which Obama is advocating.

boards of FL wrote:
nochain wrote:What would I do? Pull out of the Mideast, quit supporting them and let them sort it all out.
I'm not asking you about what you would do in general as president but, rather, about Egypt specifically.  You just started a threat whining about our policy towards Egypt, so I'm asking you what you would do?  State what you feel is the optimal policy in dealing with Egypt, and then differentiate your policy from that which Obama is advocating.
What "policy" is he advocating??? He has no policy. He has managed to enrage the Egyptian military through his love affair with the Muslim Brotherhood Islamists - that is central to the problem. His lack of coherent policy in Syria is very similar. He needs to smoke the peace pipe with the Egyptian military and press for a solution suitable to all the players.

Otherwise quit pretending and just state his current policy - ignoring the situation.

Now, what is your proposal?

boards of FL

boards of FL

nochain wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
I'm not asking you about what you would do in general as president but, rather, about Egypt specifically.  You just started a threat whining about our policy towards Egypt, so I'm asking you what you would do?  State what you feel is the optimal policy in dealing with Egypt, and then differentiate your policy from that which Obama is advocating.
What "policy" is he advocating??? He has no policy. He has managed to enrage the Egyptian military through his love affair with the Muslim Brotherhood Islamists - that is central to the problem. His lack of coherent policy in Syria is very similar. He needs to smoke the peace pipe with the Egyptian military and press for a solution suitable to all the players.

Otherwise quit pretending and just state his current policy - ignoring the situation.

I would probably stay out of it for the time being, have my national security team assess our interests and possible steps that could be taken to advance them should shit get really hectic, and then offer comments that condemn violence....basically what Obama is doing now.

So if I understand you correctly, your policy is to go all in with the military and support their removal of the first democratically elected president of Egypt?  Am I reading you correctly here?

Or, do you support the idea implied by the article that you posted and specifically quoted:  That we should call this whole fiasco a coup and then support the democratically elected president?

Or, do you support the policy that you presented earlier in this thread in which you feel the best course of action is to pull out of the middle east entirely?

Which is it?  So far - and in the very same thread, amazingly - you have supported the military coup, the muslim brotherhood, and a total non-interventionist policy.  The only thing you have been consistent on is that you don't like Obama's policy, which you concede you don't actually know what it is.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

We should give the same weapons to both sides and then support whichever side wins.

gulfbeachbandit wrote:We should give the same weapons to both sides and then support whichever side wins.
pffft... let em fight with sticks and stones... we never should've been meddling in other's affairs. That doesn't promote freedom.

Sal

Sal

Stopping aid and pulling out of Egypt ignores the complex geopolitical forces at work there.

U.S. corporations have a huge investment in Egypt.

We are not energy independent, and Egypt is one of the few Middle Eastern states where we exert any influence.

Pulling out would leave a power void that would be filled immediately by China, Russia, Iran, or some combination of all of the above.

Do we really want those forces controlling the Suez Canal?

This has the potential to implode our already fragile economic recovery.

And, then there's Israel ...

It's a real mess, and it calls for careful exertion of diplomatic pressure and management.

Cutting and running is not an option.

boards of FL wrote:
nochain wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

I would probably stay out of it for the time being, have my national security team assess our interests and possible steps that could be taken to advance them should shit get really hectic, and then offer comments that condemn violence....basically what Obama is doing now.

So if I understand you correctly, your policy is to go all in with the military and support their removal of the first democratically elected president of Egypt?  Am I reading you correctly here?

Or, do you support the idea implied by the article that you posted and specifically quoted:  That we should call this whole fiasco a coup and then support the democratically elected president?

Or, do you support the policy that you presented earlier in this thread in which you feel the best course of action is to pull out of the middle east entirely?

Which is it?  So far - and in the very same thread, amazingly - you have supported the military coup, the muslim brotherhood, and a total non-interventionist policy.  The only thing you have been consistent on is that you don't like Obama's policy, which you concede you don't actually know what it is.

In short, you would do nothing. OK then. That’s one option and sometimes not a bad one except when dealing with the largest, and largely American equipped and trained military in the M/E so fighting them is not a real good option.

So if I understand you correctly, your policy is to go all in with the military and support their removal of the first democratically elected president of Egypt? Am I reading you correctly here?

No you do not “understand me correctly”. I said smoke the peace pipe not crawl in bed with them, before anything else can be done to restore Democracy (if that’s the real goal) then the fighting must stop. The anti-army folks need to be convinced negotiation is the only solution – the U.S. might be able to help with that since Obama put his bet on Morsi in the first place.

Or, do you support the idea implied by the article that you posted and specifically quoted: That we should call this whole fiasco a coup and then support the democratically elected president?

It should have been called a coup in the beginning, that’s what it was – the hemming, hawing, and lack of clear M/E policy by this administration was the central point of the article I posted (if you even read the whole thing). The reasons for doing so are mostly economic IMO – not necessarily political, we are not by law allowed to provide financial aid to a belligerent government in power through a coup.

At the end of the day that is best – we are not wanted over there – our money is, but not our politics. OK fine, let them have it. I have been there and worked with several M/E military units in various countries - they never really trust us because their views are far different than ours.

Which is it? So far - and in the very same thread, amazingly - you have supported the military coup, the muslim brotherhood, and a total non-interventionist policy.

No you are wrong, everything to you is a straight line, black or white, unwavering, no options. I presented options that you chose to misinterpret, all you have presented is the same old tired Obama approach. Apparently you don’t understand the situation as well as you think you do and have no real answer to my original question. Imagine that.

The only thing you have been consistent on is that you don't like Obama's policy, which you concede you don't actually know what it is.

He has no real policy, how could anyone know what it is? You certainly don’t, a few comments by Kerry, a little of this, a little of that is not a policy to anyone but you and Obama. How amusing.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

nochain wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
nochain wrote:
Wow, I love a parade! The three blind mice have now chimed in (Sally, BOF, and Margin) without a single lucid response among them.

What would I do? Pull out of the Mideast, quit supporting them and let them sort it all out. Put the "saved" money into upgrading the efficiency of our infrastructure (particularly electrical grids and generation plants), build a few more nuke power plants, make some CAREFULLY considered (for a change) investment in renewables, and quit pretending we care about the people of those country's when in reality it's oil we are after. The U.S. is (and has been) universally disliked in the M/E so give them what they want - freedom from our interference. I would give it less than 5 years until total anarchy sets in over there.

Gee, I wonder what possibly could have diminished the reputation of the US in the Arab world? Any idea? Rolling Eyes 

boards of FL

boards of FL

nochain wrote:I would probably stay out of it for the time being, have my national security team assess our interests and possible steps that could be taken to advance them should shit get really hectic, and then offer comments that condemn violence....basically what Obama is doing now.

In short, you would do nothing. OK then. That’s one option and sometimes not a bad one except when dealing with the largest, and largely American equipped and trained military in the M/E so fighting them is not a real good option.

No you do not “understand me correctly”. I said smoke the peace pipe not crawl in bed with them, before anything else can be done to restore Democracy (if that’s the real goal) then the fighting must stop. The anti-army folks need to be convinced negotiation is the only solution – the U.S. might be able to help with that since Obama put his bet on Morsi in the first place.

It should have been called a coup in the beginning, that’s what it was – the hemming, hawing, and lack of clear M/E policy by this administration was the central point of the article I posted (if you even read the whole thing). The reasons for doing so are mostly economic IMO – not necessarily political, we are not by law allowed to provide financial aid to a belligerent government in power through a coup.

At the end of the day that is best – we are not wanted over there – our money is, but not our politics. OK fine, let them have it. I have been there and worked with several M/E military units in various countries - they never really trust us because their views are far different than ours.

Which is it?  So far - and in the very same thread, amazingly - you have supported the military coup, the muslim brotherhood, and a total non-interventionist policy.  

No you are wrong, everything to you is a straight line, black or white, unwavering, no options. I presented options that you chose to misinterpret, all you have presented is the same old tired Obama approach. Apparently you don’t understand the situation as well as you think you do and have no real answer to my original question. Imagine that.

The only thing you have been consistent on is that you don't like Obama's policy, which you concede you don't actually know what it is.

He has no real policy, how could anyone know what it is? You certainly don’t, a few comments by Kerry, a little of this, a little of that is not a policy to anyone but you and Obama. How amusing.

For those that don't want to take the time to read all of this, it basically says "I haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about" and has some fairly standard, parroted "Obama sucks" sprinkled in.

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:
For those that don't want to take the time to read all of this, it basically says "I haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about" and has some fairly standard, parroted "Obama sucks" sprinkled in.
Ah, the usual from nochain.

Thanks for the summary and saving five minutes of my life I would've otherwise misspent.

boards of FL wrote:
nochain wrote:I.[/b]
The lack of substance in your childish reply was expected. I do hope you and your equally brain dead partners in crime enjoy the remaining days of this increasingly uninteresting and shallow forum.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

nochain wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
The lack of substance in your childish reply was expected. I do hope you and your equally brain dead partners in crime enjoy the remaining days of this increasingly uninteresting and shallow forum.
You're not leaving, are you? I'll try to feel...something.

boards of FL

boards of FL

nochain wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Easy now, hambone. No need to go overboard here. It's comments like that that really hurt my feelings.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Looks like nochain took his ball and went home!

Sal wrote:
Cutting and running is not an option.[/font]
Why not? You wanted to cut and run in Iraq and Astan, so why not here?

Guest wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
nochain wrote:

The incoherence of this administrations Mideast "non-policy" Th?id=H.4827149220317508&pid=1

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JynwVKXzc9s

Smile 

Sal wrote:Stopping aid and pulling out of Egypt ignores the complex geopolitical forces at work there.

U.S. corporations have a huge investment in Egypt.

We are not energy independent, and Egypt is one of the few Middle Eastern states where we exert any influence.

Pulling out would leave a power void that would be filled immediately by China, Russia, Iran, or some combination of all of the above.

Do we really want those forces controlling the Suez Canal?

This has the potential to implode our already fragile economic recovery.

And, then there's Israel ...

It's a real mess, and it calls for careful exertion of diplomatic pressure and management.

Cutting and running is not an option.
The incoherence of this administrations Mideast "non-policy" Th?id=H.4584672524962626&pid=1

Pulling out and cancelling all diplomatic, trade, and foreign aid agreements until approached by the new or old Egyptian government is exactly what we should have done.

Big business can take care of itself instead of having the United States involved.

You supposedly enlightened progressive liberals are always screaming about our involvement when the US uses force. Let them see what happens when their economy and infrastructure collapses even more because there's no money pouring in from the United States...

As for Israel and Egypt going at it... My money would be on Israel. Let Egypt scream bloody murder when Cairo is surrounded by Israeli forces ready to turn it into rubble and there's no US intervention. Israel can keep whatever it takes as far as I'm concerned and that includes the Suez Canal.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tna0Mmu1XlI

Smile

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 8/16/2013, 3:27 am; edited 3 times in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum