Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Obama’s entire meme of having put “core al-Qaeda” on the “path to defeat” is untrue

+4
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
boards of FL
knothead
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

He just can't make himself tell the truth

‘Core al-Qaeda’ is not defeated
By Marc A. Thiessen, Published: August 7
In a speech at the National Defense University in May, President Obama tried to draw a distinction between what he called “core al-Qaeda” (which he assured us was “on a path to defeat”) and lesser affiliates like al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) who do not pose a threat on the “scale of 9/11.”

“Core al-Qaeda is a shell of its former self,” Obama boasted, adding that “they did not direct the attacks in Benghazi, Libya or Boston” and that their “remaining operatives spend more time thinking about their own safety than plotting against us.”

Well, it turns out that was wrong.

The Post reports that the plot that has led to the closure of U.S. Embassies and the emergency evacuation of American diplomats was directed by none other than Osama bin Laden’s successor, Ayman al-Zawahiri, who gave “clear orders” to Nasir al-Wuhayshi, the founder of AQAP, to undertake an attack.

Okay, so let’s get this straight.

Obama says “core al-Qaeda” is on “the path to defeat.” Yet the plot that officials have called the “most specific and credible threat” since 9/11 was ordered by the leader of . . . core al-Qaeda.

Moreover, The Post reports, the person to whom Zawahiri delivered this order — Wuhayshi — “was once bin Laden’s personal secretary.”

Doesn’t serving as the personal secretary of the founder of “core al-Qaeda” qualify you as being “core al-Qaeda”?

And that’s not all. Not only was Wuhayshi a top bin Laden aide (who was with the al-Qaeda leader in Tora Bora), The Post further reports that Wuhayshi “recently was elevated by Zawahiri to the number two position in al-Qaeda.”

So the leader of AQAP, the group that just put us on the highest terror alert since 9/11, is also second in command of . . . “core al-Qaeda.”

Sense a pattern here?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/marc-thiessen-core-al-qaeda-is-not-defeated/2013/08/07/53b13026-ff6b-11e2-96a8-d3b921c0924a_story.html?hpid=z9

knothead

knothead

H-O-R-S-E-S-H-I-T

knothead wrote:H-O-R-S-E-S-H-I-T
How amusing and expected. Another uneducated libertard response. Typical of the far left lunatics in denial infesting this dying forum. LMAO.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Republicans really shouldn't critique any handling of the war on terror. Seriously.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:Republicans really shouldn't critique any handling of the war on terror.  Seriously.
 Why?

boards of FL wrote:Republicans really shouldn't critique any handling of the war on terror.  Seriously.
I know you quivering Oblamer sheeple can't handle facts. Afraid of them aren't you since deep down you know the guy is a failure by any measure.

You even think the Dems are more "qualified" to comment on this topic. How hilarious is that but then, at this point what does it matter?

Obama’s entire meme of having put “core al-Qaeda” on the “path to defeat” is untrue Pict32

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Comments are welcome as long as they are in agreement with the democrats on this forum.

Joanimaroni wrote:Comments are welcome as long as they are in agreement with the democrats on this forum.
Agreed, they are in denial over anything that puts this administration in a negative light. Facts are meaningless to them as they persist in distortion and obfuscation to ignore the truth. They are just like their unqualified hero Oblamer. And that explains why this forum is soon to be a shell inhabited by nothing more than quivering, hypersensitive loons following their intrepid leading ultra-liberal fact avoidance coach, Boards.

Obama’s entire meme of having put “core al-Qaeda” on the “path to defeat” is untrue Tolerant-liberals

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
 Why?
Because the republican approach to the war on terror lead us completely off course, cost $1 trillion plus, 1000's of lives, wasted so much time, and got us no where.

Republicans complaining about the pace at which core terrorist are being dispatched would be like Kyle Orton complaining about Tebow from the bench. Orton lead them to a losing record. Tebow lead them to a playoff victory.

I know I know. Only one?

2seaoat

I am a Republican. I will support Christy. I support my president despite what political party he originates. I was a strong supporter of Bush and took heat, and I support many of the positive programs our current President has advanced. He has been a foreign policy success. His actions in attacking Al Queda have been strong, but most importantly.......6 years without starting new conflicts which cost trillions, winding down Iraq, and next year Afghanastan.

The idea of showing a dead body of our ambassador and assigning blame to Hillary or President Obama is clueless and wrong. A handful of lives were lost in Libya. Perhaps things could have been handled better, but they were active CIA operating many layers below cabinet positions, let alone the president. Five thousand Americans died following questionable foreign policy decisions of President Bush who I supported, and thought the initial Afghanastan and Iraq initiatives were correct responses. I was wrong. Not entirely, but historically the approach President Obama has taken was probably the correct response.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I am a Republican.  I will support Christy.  I support my president despite what political party he originates.  I was a strong supporter of Bush and took heat, and I support many of the positive programs our current President has advanced.  He has been a foreign policy success.  His actions in attacking Al Queda have been strong, but most importantly.......6 years without starting new conflicts which cost trillions, winding down Iraq, and next year Afghanastan.

The idea of showing a dead body of our ambassador and assigning blame to Hillary or President Obama is clueless and wrong.   A handful of lives were lost in Libya.  Perhaps things could have been handled better, but they were active CIA operating many layers below cabinet positions, let alone the president.  Five thousand Americans died following questionable foreign policy decisions of President Bush who I supported, and thought the initial Afghanastan and Iraq initiatives were correct responses.  I was wrong.  Not entirely, but historically the approach President Obama has taken was probably the correct response.  

Christie has endorsed the "Bush Doctrine" regarding foreign policy, and he has as recently as last month given a full-throated defense of the expansive national security state.

Policies matter.

'boards' using the word seriously is by iself laughable...perhaps the only thing larger than the moderators head is his ego....when some here stroked him and told him just how smart he was...he believed it and no attempts to speak down to those he has no business in doing so...The original post was about the inability of the cowh and his handling of the terrorism problems and yet instead of being able to discuss or expalin in an intelligent manner this forum has turned into what campaigns have become...soundbites....The major disagreements are between the cowh and his left wing base....The cowh has done pretty much what he campaigned against and continued most of the polices of the administration that he and most of his supporters condemned...

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

newswatcher wrote:
   'boards' using the word seriously is by iself laughable...perhaps the only thing larger than the moderators head is his ego....when some here stroked him and told him just how smart he was...he believed it and no attempts to speak down to those he has no business in doing so...The original post was about the inability of the cowh and his handling of the terrorism problems and yet instead of being able to discuss or expalin in an intelligent manner this forum has turned into what campaigns have become...soundbites....The major disagreements are between the cowh and his left wing base....The cowh has done pretty much what he campaigned against and continued most of the polices of the administration that he and most of his supporters condemned...
Obama has continued the policies and increased the war, some consider his increase and additional policies nastier than Bush. All the shit stirred up about water-boarding a couple of prisoners, to save lives of American soldiers, doesn't begin to touch Obama's disposition matrix. Not a word from the Dems.

Biden and Panetta's stupidity of listing the name of Seal Team 6 was criminal. Not a word from the Dems.

The last minute removal of Afghan officials from the Seal 6 helicopter....suspicious. Not a word from the Dems.

The shooting down of  the Seal 6 helicopter...who knew the coordinates, who had weaponry to shoot it down. Did Seal 6 know to much?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:I am a Republican.  I will support Christy.  I support my president despite what political party he originates.  I was a strong supporter of Bush and took heat, and I support many of the positive programs our current President has advanced.  He has been a foreign policy success.  His actions in attacking Al Queda have been strong, but most importantly.......6 years without starting new conflicts which cost trillions, winding down Iraq, and next year Afghanastan.

The idea of showing a dead body of our ambassador and assigning blame to Hillary or President Obama is clueless and wrong.   A handful of lives were lost in Libya.  Perhaps things could have been handled better, but they were active CIA operating many layers below cabinet positions, let alone the president.  Five thousand Americans died following questionable foreign policy decisions of President Bush who I supported, and thought the initial Afghanastan and Iraq initiatives were correct responses.  I was wrong.  Not entirely, but historically the approach President Obama has taken was probably the correct response.  
But Markle will say those deaths and the gross financial expense were worth it because it helped free 29-million Iraqis from the totalitarian grip of Saddam Hussein.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

But Markle will say those deaths and the gross financial expense were worth it because it helped free 29-million Iraqis from the totalitarian grip of Saddam Hussein.

Posting pictures of dead bodies....thousands of dead bodies.....does not affix blame, or allow for comprehension of the totality of our failures. Everything Bush did was not bad. Everything Obama does is not bad. A President Christy will not be perfect, and yes policies do matter. It will take good debate and substantive policy directions offered by candidates, but more importantly, the American people have to say enough.......it is our deal, and this blaming Bush or Obama is simple scapegoating.....we need to make this country just, fair, and wise......and that starts with an informed and involved electorate.

Dude you make more excuses for Oblamer than the Dems do here. BTW, more have died in Astan on Oblamer's watch than during Bush's eight year tenure. Oh and you make light that just a "handful of lives" were lost in Libya, but what if part of that handful were a family member and you still have no answers a year later? Dems ridiculed Bush for taking a mere seven more minutes to finish reading a book to kids on 9-11, but say nothing of the seven hours Ambassador Stevens asked for help that never came. And now anyone connected has now signed a NDA for "one hundred years or death whichever comes last" over Behghazi over what was seen and heard. Pathetic! The same action that Dems denigrated Bush over in prosecuting the war on terror, keeping Gitmo open etc now the COWH gets a pass. More PATHETIC!

The naive libertards on here who think everything is going great and Oblamer isn't lying about Al Qaeda will refuse to read these articles that clearly show the mess the Middle East is in. Oblamers lack of decisiveness on M/E policy is making a bad situation worse.

1. As Foreign Fighters Flood Syria, Fears Of A New Extremist Haven
(New York Times)...Anne Barnard and Eric Schmitt
As foreign fighters pour into Syria at an increasing clip, extremist groups are carving out pockets of territory that are becoming havens for Islamist militants, posing what United States and Western intelligence officials say may be developing into one of the biggest terrorist threats in the world today.
2. Drones Kill 12 In A Tense Yemen
(Los Angeles Times)...Carol J. Williams
As a security alert kept millions on edge throughout the Muslim world, suspected U.S. drone attacks in Yemen killed 12 alleged militants Thursday, and Saudi security forces arrested two foreign men they said were plotting suicide attacks in the region.
3. Al Qaeda Yemen Branch Plan Prompted U.S. Terror Alert
(Wall Street Journal)...Siobhan Gorman
The terror plot that has temporarily shut down 19 U.S. diplomatic posts wasn't ordered by al Qaeda's leader Ayman al Zawahiri, but proposed by al Qaeda's Yemeni branch and approved by the global Qaeda chief, a senior U.S. official said Thursday in a more specific description of the plot's origin.
4. Al-Qaeda Branch Seeks New Haven
(Washington Post)...Sudarsan Raghavan and Ali Almujahed
Al-Qaeda’s branch in Yemen is focusing on expanding its presence in a remote eastern province that is the ancestral homeland of Osama bin Laden, even as the group remains the target of U.S. drone strikes and Yemeni military assaults, according to Yemeni officials.
5. Al Qaeda Drives Iraq Toward Chaos
(Washington Times)...Ashish Kumar Sen
Security inside Iraq is unraveling at an alarming pace, and al Qaeda terrorists there aren’t just pulling the thread; they’re setting it on fire.
6. Anti-U.S. Hostility Ramps Up In Egypt
(Wall Street Journal)...Maria Abi-Habib and Adam Entous
... The demonization of America in Egyptian state media has the potential to play out in dangerous ways that can't be reined in by the government, some observers said.

http://ebird.osd.mil/ebird2/ebfiles/e20130809aaindex.html

nochain wrote:The naive libertards on here who think everything is going great and Oblamer isn't lying about Al Qaeda will refuse to read these articles that clearly show the mess the Middle East is in. Oblamers lack of decisiveness on M/E policy is making a bad situation worse.

1. As Foreign Fighters Flood Syria, Fears Of A New Extremist Haven
(New York Times)...Anne Barnard and Eric Schmitt
As foreign fighters pour into Syria at an increasing clip, extremist groups are carving out pockets of territory that are becoming havens for Islamist militants, posing what United States and Western intelligence officials say may be developing into one of the biggest terrorist threats in the world today.
2. Drones Kill 12 In A Tense Yemen
(Los Angeles Times)...Carol J. Williams
As a security alert kept millions on edge throughout the Muslim world, suspected U.S. drone attacks in Yemen killed 12 alleged militants Thursday, and Saudi security forces arrested two foreign men they said were plotting suicide attacks in the region.
3. Al Qaeda Yemen Branch Plan Prompted U.S. Terror Alert
(Wall Street Journal)...Siobhan Gorman
The terror plot that has temporarily shut down 19 U.S. diplomatic posts wasn't ordered by al Qaeda's leader Ayman al Zawahiri, but proposed by al Qaeda's Yemeni branch and approved by the global Qaeda chief, a senior U.S. official said Thursday in a more specific description of the plot's origin.
4. Al-Qaeda Branch Seeks New Haven
(Washington Post)...Sudarsan Raghavan and Ali Almujahed
Al-Qaeda’s branch in Yemen is focusing on expanding its presence in a remote eastern province that is the ancestral homeland of Osama bin Laden, even as the group remains the target of U.S. drone strikes and Yemeni military assaults, according to Yemeni officials.
5. Al Qaeda Drives Iraq Toward Chaos
(Washington Times)...Ashish Kumar Sen
Security inside Iraq is unraveling at an alarming pace, and al Qaeda terrorists there aren’t just pulling the thread; they’re setting it on fire.
6. Anti-U.S. Hostility Ramps Up In Egypt
(Wall Street Journal)...Maria Abi-Habib and Adam Entous
... The demonization of America in Egyptian state media has the potential to play out in dangerous ways that can't be reined in by the government, some observers said.

http://ebird.osd.mil/ebird2/ebfiles/e20130809aaindex.html
      And Yemen is and has been cooperating with the US in standing up to the terrorists in their country...News report indicated that Yemen was not pleased with the actions of the administration....

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Don't have to.  You have finally learned.  However, you "forgot" the part where President George Walker Bush kept us safe from fatal Islamic Terrorist attacks on our soil since the start of the War on Terror.  Something which has cost far less than the deficit run up by President Barack Hussein Obama every year since he took office.

You also left out the part of the cost of the 9/11/2001 attack was over $2 TRILLION and you have never answered how many more of those attacks you believe we should have absorbed before fighting back.

How is President Obama's policy in Iraq working out now and how is it working in Afghanistan where he has already announced our date of surrender?

Tell us how the situation in the Middle East and North Africa since going since President Barack Hussein Obama took office?  Here, let me show you.

January 1977 President Jimmy Carter takes office 1977

March 9: Three buildings in Washington, DC were seized by members of the militant African-American Muslim Hanafi sect, and over 100 hostages were taken. One bystander was shot and killed, and Washington city councilman Marion Barry was shot in the chest.  

August 3: Puerto Rican nationalist group FALN in Manhattan, New York bombed the offices of Mobil Oil and a building containing US Defense Department security personnel, killing one person and injuring eight others in the Mobil offices.   [Note:  FALN Members serving time in prison were pardoned by President William Jefferson Clinton on his last day in office.]

No Fatal Islamic Terrorist Attacks on our soil

November 4: Iran Hostage Crisis takes place. Iranian Muslim students take over the American Embassy, taking 52 US diplomats hostage for 444 days. (Ended January 20, 1981)

1980 January 1981 President Ronald Reagan takes office 1981
May 16: One dead in an explosion in the toilets at the Pan Am terminal at New York's JFK airport. The bombing is claimed by the Puerto Rican Resistance Army

April 18: 1983 United States Embassy bombing takes place. A suicide car bomber stole a van carrying 2,000 pounds of explosives and slammed into the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon killing 63 people including 18 Americans.

October 7 – October 10: Achille Lauro cruise ship hijacking by Palestinian Liberation Front, during which passenger Leon Klinghoffer, a 69 year-old wheelchair-using Jewish American citizen, is shot dead and thrown overboard.

April 5: 1986 Berlin discotheque bombing. A Berlin discotheque frequented by US servicemen was bombed, killing 3 people--A Turkish woman and two US servicemen--and injuring 230 including over 50 US servicemen. Libya was held responsible for this act.

April 12: Japanese Red Army terrorist Yu Kikumura was arrested at a rest stop on the New Jersey turnpike in possession of pipe bombs on his way to New York

December 21: Pan Am Flight 103 bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland. At the time, it was the worst act of terrorism perpetrated against the United States, and involved the greatest number of peacetime fatalities (270) in the United Kingdom.  Libyan agent, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, was convicted on 270 counts of murder and was sentenced to life imprisonment

January 1989 President George Bush takes office

November 5: Assassination of Meir Kahane head of Israel's Koch party and founder of the American vigilante group the Jewish Defense League in a Manhattan, New York hotel lobby by early elements of Al Queda.

January 1993 President Clinton takes office 1993

January 25:  Mir Aimal Kansi, a Pakistani, fires an AK-47 assault rifle into cars waiting at a stoplight in front of the Central Intelligence Agency headquarters, killing two and injuring three others

February 26:  World Trade Center bombing kills six and injures over 1000 people, by coalition of five groups: Jamaat Al-Fuqra'/Gamaat Islamiya/Hamas/Islamic Jihad/National Islamic Front, see FBI Most Wanted Terrorists, FBI Ten Most Wanted Fugitives, Ramzi Yousef. June: Failed New York City landmark bomb plot, see FBI Most Wanted Terrorists

March 1: In the Brooklyn Bridge Shooting, Rashid Baz kills a Hasidic seminary student and wounds four on the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City in response to the Cave of the Patriarchs massacre.

No Islamic terrorist attacks on our soil

August  The fatwa is entitled "Declaration of War against the Americans Occupying the Land of the Two Holy Places."

February 24: Ali Abu Kamal opens fire on tourists at an observation deck atop the Empire State Building in New York City, killing a Danish national and wounding visitors from the United States, Argentina, Switzerland and France before turning the gun on himself

No Islamic terrorist attacks on our soil

August 7: U.S. embassy bombings in Dar es Salaam and Nairobi, killing 225 people and injuring more than 4,000, by al-Qaeda December 14: Ahmed Ressam is arrested on the United States-Canada border in Port Angeles, Washington; he confessed to planning to bomb the Los Angeles International Airport as part of the 2000 millennium attack plots

October 12  USS Cole attack suicide attack against the U.S. Navy destroyer USS Cole (DDG 67) on October 12, 2000 while it was harbored in the Yemen port of Aden.  Seventeen sailors were killed and thirty-nine others were injured in the blast. 17

January 2001
President George Walker Bush takes office 2001

September 11: Attacks kill 2,997 , and many more later from exposure to toxic dust in a series of hijacked airliner crashes into two U.S. landmarks: the World Trade Center in New York City, New York, and The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia. A fourth plane, originally intended to hit the United States Capitol Building, crashes in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, after an apparent revolt against the hijackers by the plane's passengers.

September 18, -  Letters containing anthrax spores were mailed to several news media offices and two Democratic U.S. Senators, killing five people and infecting 17 others.  American Professor was to be arrested in 2008 when he committed suicide.  FBI closed the case in 2010.

War in Afghanistan October 7, 2001

October: John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo conduct the Beltway Sniper Attacks, killing ten people in various locations throughout the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area from October 2 until they are arrested on October 24

December 22 - shoe bomb plot was a failed bombing attempt that occurred on American Airlines Flight 63 flying from Charles De Gaulle International Airport in Paris, France, to Miami International Airport in Miami, Florida.  Richard Reid was convicted

3]]War in Iraq begins on March 20, 2003

March 20, 2003

[/b]

January 2009 President Barack Hussein Obama takes office

June 1, 2009
Little Rock Arkansas shooting by Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, an American who had converted to Islam and shot two killing one Army Privates

November 5, 2009
Fort Hood shooting mass shooting the most populous United States military base in the world, located just outside Killeen, Texas — killing 13 people and wounding 30 others The accused perpetrator is Nidal Malik Hasan

December 25, 2009
Alleged Nigeria terrorist Umar Farouk Abdulmutall tries to explode Northwest Airlines 253 to Detroit Followed by utter confusion in the Obama administration.

Anniversary of 9/11/2001
Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, two Navy SEALS and one other American brutally murdered and the embassy destroyed in a terrorist attack planned by al Qaeda on our unprotected embassy in Benghazi, Libya.  No investigation to date no answers.  Wow…arrest warrants have been issued but no arrests have been made.

Boston Marathon
April 15, 2013
BOSTON (AP) — Public health officials are now saying that 264 people sought treatment at hospitals for injuries sustained in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Three people were killed and at least 14 people lost all or part of a limb.

Administration quickly announces that Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev acted alone.  President Obama then tells his corrupt Attorney General Eric Holder to HALT the interrogation of the surviving terrorist.

Why?  Who’s side is President Barack Hussein Obama on?

August 5, 2013
Twenty one American Embassies in the Middle East and North Africa closed for at least a week because of threats from al-Qaida.

knothead

knothead

And your point is what exactly? There have always been radical extremists and always will be but thanks for the history refresher!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

You weren't wrong...you were dreadfully wrong. I knew when "W" announced his candidacy that automatically the country would be screwed. Why didn't you? It's not like you didn't have Iran/Contra, the S&L scandals, "voodoo" economics (quoting H W, who proceeded to follow the same pattern)...but I wasn't prepared for the lengths he and Cheney were prepared to go for their "base". And I don't trust the CIA...it's too easy in spookland to betray the public trust. H W was CIA long before he took the helm...maybe as early as the 1950's...surely he was involved in the Bay of Pigs fiasco...without the knowledge of President Kennedy, who put an end to it...surely he was involved in the assassination of JFK, RFK and probably John, Jr. as well. I have read that John, Jr. had obtained definitive proof...CIA files...about who killed his father and planned to publish them in his magazine.

As for Christie, he's no moderate. It was Guilliani who set him on the path, and if you don't think Rudy was complicit in 9/11, you're just not using the brain God gave you. Didn't the election of 2000 give you pause at all? Didn't anything seem "fishy" to you? No...because you have a lifelong habit of voting for the "R", no matter how crooked, no matter how heinous the policies.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

knothead wrote:And your point is what exactly? There have always been radical extremists and always will be but thanks for the history refresher!
His "point" is that he gets to pull out the same old recycled crap we've seen time and again...Oh, lookie, how Bush and Cheney kept the country "safe". As if. The FACT that the Bush family had ties to the Bin Ladens long before 9/11...is just a blip...just a coincidence. The FACT that Poppy Bush has been running CIA operations (probably OSS as well) for over 50 years...just another coincidence.

Another FACT that seems to have escaped notice in the ongoing discussion of the NSA and Snowden. Snowden, prior to joining Booz Allen Hamilton, worked for the CIA. And Booz Allen Hamilton has been reading our e-mails and FB posts TOO. They're also 2/3 owned by the Carlyle Group...anyone ever heard the Bush name associated with the Carlyle Group? Add to that the FACT that Bush/Cheney were wiretapping our conversations PRIOR TO 9/11...and managed somehow to have the Patriot Act all prepared to be passed the following month, right around the time the anthrax started showing up in the mail of certain members of Congress and the press.

Read about the Carlyle Group:
http://www.culturechange.org/CarlyleEmpire.html

Carlyle Empire
by Eric Leser
Le Monde

April 29, 2004

The biggest private investor in the world, deeply entrenched in the weapons' sector, is a discreet group that cultivates dealings with influential men, including Bush father and son.

One year ago, May 1, 2003, George Bush, strapped up in a fighter pilot's suit, landed on the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham-Lincoln along the coast of California. The image became famous. Under a banner proclaiming "Mission Accomplished", the president prematurely announced the end of military operations in Iraq and his victory. Back on dry land the next day, he made another martial speech, not far from San Diego, in a United Defense Industries' weapons factory.

This company is one of the Pentagon's main suppliers. It manufactures, among other things, missiles, transport vehicles, and the light Bradley armored vehicle. Its main shareholder is the biggest private investor in the world, a discreet group, called Carlyle.

It's not listed on the stock market and doesn't have to show its accounts to any but its 550 investors- billionaires or pension funds. Carlyle manages eighteen billion dollars today, invested in defense and high tech (notably biotech), space, security-linked information technology, nanotechnologies, and telecommunications. The companies it controls share the characteristic that their main customers are governments and administrations. As the company wrote in its brochure: "We invest in the opportunities created in industries strongly affected by changes in government policy."

Carlyle is a unique model, assembled at the planetary level on the capitalism of relationships or "capitalism of access" to use the 1993 expression of the American magazine New Republic. Today, in spite of its denials, the group incarnates the "military-industrial complex" against which Republican President Dwight Eisenhower warned the American people when he left office in 1961.

That didn't prevent George Bush senior from occupying a position as consultant to Carlyle for the ten years ending October 2003. It was the first time in United States' history that a former president worked for a Pentagon supplier. His son, George W. Bush, also knows Carlyle well. The group found him a job in February 1990, while his father occupied the White House: administrator for Caterair, a Texas company specialized in aerial catering. The episode does not figure in the president's official biography. When George W. Bush left Caterair in 1994, before becoming Governor of Texas, the company was in bad shape.

"It's not possible to get closer to the administration than Carlyle is," asserts Charles Lewis, Director of the Center for Public Integrity, a non-partisan organization in Washington. "George Bush senior earned money from private interests that worked for the government of which his son was president. You could even say that the president could one day profit financially, through his father's investments, from the political decisions he himself took," he adds.

The collection of influential characters who now work, have worked, or have invested in the group would make the most convinced conspiracy theorists incredulous. They include among others, John Major, former British Prime Minister; Fidel Ramos, former Philippines President; Park Tae Joon, former South Korean Prime Minister; Saudi Prince Al-Walid; Colin Powell, the present Secretary of State; James Baker III, former Secretary of State; Caspar Weinberger, former Defense Secretary; Richard Darman, former White House Budget Director; the billionaire George Soros, and even some bin Laden family members. You can add Alice Albright, daughter of Madeleine Albright, former Secretary of State; Arthur Lewitt, former SEC head; William Kennard, former head of the FCC, to this list. Finally, add in the Europeans: Karl Otto Poehl, former Bundesbank president; the now-deceased Henri Martre, who was president of Aerospatiale; and Etienne Davignon, former president of the Belgian Generale Holding Company.

Carlyle isn't only a collection of power people. It maintains holdings in close to 200 companies and, above all, provides returns on its investments that have exceeded 30 % for a decade. "Compared to the five hundred people we employ in the world, the number of former statesmen is quite small, a dozen at most," explains Christopher Ullmann, Carlyle Vice-President for communication. "We're accused of every wrong, but no one has ever brought proof of any kind of misappropriation. No legal proceeding has ever been brought against us. We're a handy target for whoever wants to take shots at the American government and the president."

Carlyle was created in 1987 in the salons of the New York eponymous palace, with five million dollars. Its founders, four lawyers, including David Rubenstein (a former Jimmy Carter advisor), had the -limited- ambition at the time of profiting from a flaw in fiscal legislation that authorized companies owned by Eskimos in Alaska to give their losses to profitable companies that would thus pay reduced taxes. The group vegetated until January 1989 and the arrival at its helm of the man who would invent the Carlyle system, Frank Carlucci. Former Assistant Director of the CIA, National Security Advisor, then Ronald Reagan's Defense Secretary, Mr. Carlucci counted in Washington. He is one of current Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's closest friends. They were roommates as students at Princeton together. Later, their paths crossed in several administrations and they even worked for a time at the same company, Sears Roebuck.

Six days after officially quitting the Pentagon, January 6, 1989, Frank Carlucci became Carlyle's Director General. He brought trusted lieutenants from the CIA, the State Department, and the Defense Department with him. Nicknamed "Mr. Clean", Frank Carlucci has a sulfurous reputation.

This diplomat was posted during the 1970s to countries such as South Africa, the Congo, Tanzania, and Portugal, where the United States and the CIA had played a questionable political role. He was the number two at the American embassy in the Belgian Congo in 1961 and was suspected of being implicated in the assassination of Patrice Lumumba. He has always firmly denied it. The American press has also accused him of being implicated in several cases of arms trafficking in the 1980s, but he has never been prosecuted. For a while, he directed Wackenhut, a security company with a hateful reputation, implicated in one of the biggest espionage scandals ever, the hijacking of Promise software. Frank Carlucci had the mission of cleaning up after the Iran-Contra affair in the Reagan administration and he succeeded John Pointdexter as National Security Advisor. As he took over his new position, he chose a young general to be his assistant... Colin Powell.

Frank Carlucci's name attracted capital to Carlyle. In October 1990, the group took over BDM International, which participated in the "Star Wars" Program and constituted a bridgehead to it. In 1992, Frank Carlucci allied himself with the French group Thomson-CSF to take over LTV's aerospace division. The operation failed, Congress opposing the sale to a foreign group. Carlyle found other associates, Loral and Northrop, and got hold of LTV Aerospace, quickly renamed Vought Aircraft, which contributed to the manufacture of the B1 and B2 bombers.

At the same time, the fund was multiplying its strategic acquisitions, such as Magnavox Electronic Systems, a pioneer in radar imagery, and DGE, which owns the technology for cruise missile electronic relief maps.

Three companies specializing in nuclear, chemical, and biological decontamination (Magnetek, IT Group and EG & G Technical Services) followed. Then, through BDM International, a firm linked to the CIA, Carlyle acquired Vinnell, which was among the first companies to supply the American army and its allies with private contractors, i.e. mercenaries. Vinnell's mercenaries train the Saudi armed forces and protect King Fahd. During the first Gulf War, they fought alongside Saudi troops. In 1997, Carlyle sold BDM and Vinnell, which had become too dangerous. The group didn't need it any more. It had become the Pentagon's eleventh biggest supplier by gaining control of United Defense Industries that same year.

Carlyle emerged from the shadows in spite of itself on September 11, 2001. That day, the group had organized a meeting at Washington's Ritz Carlton Hotel with five hundred of its largest investors. Frank Carlucci and James Baker III played masters of ceremony. George Bush senior made a lightning appearance at the beginning of the day. The presentation was quickly interrupted, but one detail escaped no one. One of the guests wore the name bin Laden on his badge. It was Shafiq bin Laden, one of Osama's many brothers. The American media discovered Carlyle. One journalist, Dan Briody, wrote a book about the group's hidden side, "The Iron Triangle", and takes an interest in the close relations between the Bush clan and the Saudi leadership.

Some ask about George Bush senior's influence on American foreign policy.

In January 2001, while George Bush junior was breaking off negotiations over missiles with North Korea, the dismayed South Koreans intervened with his father. Carlyle has important interests in Seoul. In June 2001, Washington resumed discussions with Pyongyang.

Another example: in July 2001, according to the New York Times, George Bush senior telephoned Saudi Prince Abdullah who was unhappy with the positions the president took on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. George Bush senior reassured the prince that his son "is doing good things" and "has his heart in the right place."

Larry Klayman, Director of Judicial Watch, a resolutely conservative organization, demands that "the president's father resign from Carlyle. The group has conflicts of interest that can create problems for American foreign policy." Finally, in October 2003, George Bush senior leaves Carlyle, officially because he's nearing eighty years old.

It doesn't matter that Carlyle put an end to all relations with the bin Laden family in October 2001; the evil was already done. The group, along with Halliburton, has become the target of Bush administration opponents.

"Carlyle has replaced the Trilateral Commission in conspiracy theories," David Rubenstein acknowledged in a 2003 Washington Post interview. For the first time, the group put someone in charge of communications and changed its boss. Frank Carlucci became honorary president and Lou Gerstner, a respected executive who saved IBM, officially took the reins.

That operation seems mostly cosmetic. Mr. Gerstner doesn't spend much time in his office; but Carlyle wants to become respectable.

The Group has created an Internet site. It has opened certain funds to investors bringing "only" 250,000 dollars (210,000 euros). It will have reduced its holdings in United Defense Industries, and asserts that defense and aeronautics represent no more than 15 % of its investments.

However, Carlyle continues to make intensive use of fiscal havens and it's difficult to know the names of the companies it controls or its perimeter.

Carlyle is also increasing its efforts in Europe. In September 2001, it took control of the Swedish weapons manufacturer Bofors through United Defense. Subsequently, it tried, unsuccessfully, to take over Thales Information Systems and, in the beginning of 2003, to acquire those parts of France Telecom that are in Eutelsat, which plays an important role in the European Positioning System by Galileo satellite - a competitor of the American GPS. From 1999 to 2002, it managed a holding in Le Figaro. In Italy, it made a breakthrough, by taking up Fiat's aeronautics subsidiary, Fiat Avio. This company is a supplier to Arianespace and allows Carlyle to be part of the European Rocket Council. In another coup in December 2002, Carlyle bought a third of Qinetic, the private subsidiary of the British military's Research and Development Center. Qinetic occupies a unique advisory role with the British government.

"To anticipate the technologies of the future and the enterprises which will develop them is our first role as an investor. Pension funds bring us their money for that. You can't blame us for trying to take strategic positions," Mr. Ullmann stresses.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:And your point is what exactly? There have always been radical extremists and always will be but thanks for the history refresher!
George Walker Bush was an idiot. Markle just doesn't get it....Mad 

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
George Walker Bush was an idiot. Markle just doesn't get it....Mad 

Agreed!!!Smile 

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I always have to don hipwaders when I wade through the BS that Markle posts. His "fatal Islamic attacks" theme always seems to artfully dodge the FACT that over 3,000 Americans died in the Twin Towers and the Pentagon while George W Bush was doing this:

Obama’s entire meme of having put “core al-Qaeda” on the “path to defeat” is untrue Bush-r10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum