Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

House Rejects Effort to Curb NSA Surveillance

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2013/06/how-many-americans-does-the-nsa-spy-on-a-lot-of-them.html?mobify=0&intcid=full-site-mobile&mobify=0

" What I can say unequivocally is that,if you are a U.S. person, the N.S.A. cannot listen to your telephone calls,and the N.S.A. cannot target youre-mails,” the President said earlierthis week. A 2009 memorandum signed by Eric Holderestablishes a broader criteria,referring to people “reasonably believed” to be located abroad. That reasonable belief,as it turns out,can be quite shaky.

Among the information that the N.S.A. is told to use includes having had a phone or e-mail connection with a person “associated with a foreign power orforeign territory,”or being in the “‘buddy list’or address book”of such a person. It won’t be lost on anyone that Americans whose families include recent immigrants will be disproportionately vulnerable to such intrusions. (So,incidentally,will journalists.) The defaults in the analysis are telling: a person

whose location is unknown,will not be treated as a United States person unless such person can be positively identified as such,or the nature orcircumstances of the person’s give rise to a reasonable belief that such person is a United States person.

(The extent to which the N.S.A. can spy on a wide range of foreigners is its own,important discussion.)

The criteria also show the interaction of various N.S.A. programs: the Administration has defended the collection of telephony metadata by saying that if it ever produces an interesting match,investigators would have to go to court to get a proper warrant to lookmore closely.But metadata is mentioned in these documents as a basis for picking a target forthe surveillance under what appears to be a blanket FISA order—not an individualized one.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:if it ever produces an interesting match,investigators would have to go to court to get a proper warrant to lookmore closely.

Correct!

Not saying it's right, just saying it is. 

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:if it ever produces an interesting match,investigators would have to go to court to get a proper warrant to lookmore closely.

Correct!

lol... the next sentence:

" But metadata is mentioned in these documents as a basis for picking a target forthe surveillance under what appears to be a blanket FISA order—not an individualized one."

I'm sorry... I didn't realize you were this dense. Plz believe whatever the party line is. I won't waste my time.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Sal wrote:

Correct!

lol... the next sentence:

" But metadata is mentioned in these documents as a basis for picking a target forthe surveillance under what appears to be a blanket FISA order—not an individualized one."

I'm sorry... I didn't realize you were this dense. Plz believe whatever the party line is. I won't waste my time.

Dense?

You not only fail to see the difference between what the NSA is doing and "warrantless wiretapping", you can't even recognize I'm agin it whatever you want to call it. 

That's dense. 

lmao

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/supreme-court-dismisses-aclus-challenge-nsa-warrantless-wiretapping-law

Ruling Shields Surveillance Program from Judicial Review

February 26, 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: (212) 549-2666; media@aclu.org

WASHINGTON – In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court ruled today that clients of the American Civil Liberties Union lack standing to challenge a broad surveillance law enacted by Congress in 2008 because they cannot prove that surveillance of their communications is "certainly impending." The lawsuit challenged the FISA Amendments Act, which authorizes the National Security Agency to conduct dragnet surveillance of Americans' international emails and phone calls without identifying its targets to any court.

"It's a disturbing decision. The FISA Amendments Act is a sweeping surveillance statute with far-reaching implications for Americans' privacy. This ruling insulates the statute from meaningful judicial review and leaves Americans' privacy rights to the mercy of the political branches," said ACLU Deputy Legal Director Jameel Jaffer, who argued the case before the justices on October 29, when the court stayed open despite the approach of Hurricane Sandy, which shut down the rest of the federal government.

"Justice Alito's opinion for the court seems to be based on the theory that the FISA Court may one day, in some as-yet unimagined case, subject the law to constitutional review, but that day may never come. And if it does, the proceeding will take place in a court that meets in secret, doesn't ordinarily publish its decisions, and has limited authority to consider constitutional arguments. This theory is foreign to the Constitution and inconsistent with fundamental democratic values," Jaffer said.

In March 2011, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit rejected the government's argument. The government's request for reconsideration by the full Second Circuit was rejected the following September, and the government then asked the Supreme Court to consider the case. Although the case was filed by the ACLU during the Bush administration, the Obama administration defended the Bush administration's positions at the Supreme Court.

Little is known about how the FISA Amendments Act has been used. In response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by the ACLU, the government revealed that every six-month review of the act had identified "compliance incidents," suggesting either an inability or an unwillingness to properly safeguard Americans' privacy rights. The government has withheld the details of those "compliance incidents," however, including statistics relating to abuses of the act.

http://bgr.com/2013/07/22/nsa-prism-spying-utah-isp/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:Each and every one that voted no should be removed from office imo... they have broken the oath and no longer uphold the constitution nor represent the citizens of the USA. Clapper even directly and willfully lied to congress... yet no charges have been pressed.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130724/17110423931/217-representatives-who-voted-to-keep-nsa-spying-all-your-data.shtml?_format=full

If you want to talk about warrantless wiretapping, Bush was doing it at least as early as October 2001, but there has been testimony that he tried it as early as February, 2001...long before 9/11. Was everyone afraid to challenge Bush because of Poppy's ties to the CIA?

I'm sure I'm on somebody's list, because I've been communicating with my brother overseas for years. The thing that bothers me more than anything else is Booz Allen Hamilton, where Snowden worked. That's a private corporation and a subsidiary of the Carlyle Group. I wonder who they share data with...I wonder how many of these private corporations with multimillion dollar contracts are tied to the Bushes, the CIA, etc. Our country has been headed in the wrong direction for many years. I understand Snowden, and appreciate his valor...yes, that's the right word...the more power was given, the more it was expected and taken for granted. I saw it happening, but most people around me seemed to be brain dead...and very few people ever challenged Bush. I realize I'm harping on Bush...all of them. I don't trust them...never have...never will...nor anyone they associate with on a regular basis. I had high hopes for Obama...I don't know why I thought the new administration would prosecute the old...guess that's just not done...but it should have been.

Meanwhile, Snowden has brought every bit of this to the forefront again. Where was the outrage THEN? Why did so many people not question the move to war in Afghanistan...then Iraq...and why don't more people realize the expediency of 9/11 for Bush and Cheney?

You should read the whole thread... I was and am outraged... and speak it. The diff is that I didn't vote for bush again.

2seaoat

you have absorbed the obama administration rhetoric

This has been an amusing thread.......20 years ago I spent two hours with a then colonel discussing how this data was being collected......I think Obama was smoking dope at Harvard.

2seaoat wrote:you have absorbed the obama administration rhetoric

This has been an amusing thread.......20 years ago I spent two hours with a then colonel discussing how this data was being collected......I think Obama was smoking dope at Harvard.

Then you are a coward and a traitor for sitting on your thumb... you didn't say a fucking word.

Or you're lying... I suspect the latter.

36House Rejects Effort to Curb NSA Surveillance - Page 2 Empty Bullshit 7/27/2013, 2:35 am

PkrBum wrote:Each and every one that voted no should be removed from office imo... they have broken the oath and no longer uphold the constitution nor represent the citizens of the USA. Clapper even directly and willfully lied to congress... yet no charges have been pressed.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130724/17110423931/217-representatives-who-voted-to-keep-nsa-spying-all-your-data.shtml?_format=full

I call bullshit on the first sentence of your post.

Your precious tea baggers (that is what they called themselves until they found out what it really meant) in Congress are doing exactly what you put them there for: nothing. You and your frighty rightie comrades put these incompetents in office. They can do what the hell they want to now, and you will never vote them out. Your tea baggers in the House know that re-election is a non-issue; they can act as stupid as they want, and you will still vote for them.

Be angry about how they still keep shitting on the constitution and people's rights. Be angry at yourself. In your 'be afraid of the black guy hysteria back in 2010,' you put these incompetents in charge of the House. You have only yourself to blame.
Thanks!

Markle

Markle

NotoriousBIG wrote:

Your precious tea baggers (that is what they called themselves until they found out what it really meant) in Congress are doing exactly what you put them there for: nothing. You and your frighty rightie comrades put these incompetents in office. They can do what the hell they want to now, and you will never vote them out. Your tea baggers in the House know that re-election is a non-issue; they can act as stupid as they want, and you will still vote for them.

Be angry about how they still keep shitting on the constitution and people's rights. Be angry at yourself. In your 'be afraid of the black guy hysteria back in 2010,' you put these incompetents in charge of the House. You have only yourself to blame.
Thanks!

Is this your last resort in searching for partner? Seems there would be better...more adult...places for you to search.

38House Rejects Effort to Curb NSA Surveillance - Page 2 Empty pot calling the kettle black??? 7/27/2013, 3:03 am

Markle wrote:
NotoriousBIG wrote:

Thanks!

Is this your last resort in searching for partner?  Seems there would be better...more adult...places for you to search.

Why, are you interested???
I could ask you the same question, old man.
Given your juvenile attempts at humor by attacking me personally since you cannot argue my post on its merits. So sad that when you are confronted with facts, all you can do is attack me personally even though you know nothing about me personally.
Just like a dumbass old bigot would act.
Thanks!

NotoriousBIG wrote:

Thanks!

again... you didn't read the article. The term you used is derogatory and homophobic... bigot.

40House Rejects Effort to Curb NSA Surveillance - Page 2 Empty I was commenting on your post.... 7/27/2013, 9:21 am

PkrBum wrote:
NotoriousBIG wrote:

Thanks!

again... you didn't read the article. The term you used is derogatory and homophobic... bigot.

My point still stands. Your precious ultra-conservatives (happy?) do not have to worry. They can continue to shit all over this country, and you will keep voting for them only because they have an (R) behind their name.
They know their voting bloc will vote for them no matter how incompetent they are. 100% of the problems in Congress stem from the ultra-conservative incompetents you and your comrades voted in. You only have yourself to blame.
Thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum