Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

House GOP moves to curb independent ethics office

+2
RealLindaL
othershoe1030
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Well, it looks as if the totally GOP controlled House is off to a good start. Just what does drain the swamp mean to them? Surely crime statistics will drop if you fire the police force?

What are they afraid of?

House Republicans meeting behind closed doors on Monday night moved to put the independent Office of Congressional Ethics under the oversight of the House Ethics Committee, effectively curbing the watchdog’s latitude to pursue wrongdoing by lawmakers.

A proposal by House Judiciary Chairman Robert W. Goodlatte, R-Va., was adopted as part of a sweeping package of rules to be put before the full House on Tuesday, when the 115th Congress convenes.

The independent ethics office was created in 2008 to investigate ethics complaints filed by the public. It currently refers cases to the Ethics Committee. After 90 days, the committee is required to make certain reports public and publicly state how it will handle the case moving forward.

Critics said the move would undercut President-elect Donald Trump’s vows to “drain the swamp,” and save lawmakers facing scrutiny the embarrassment of having charges aired in public. The office would be limited in its ability to accept anonymous tips and launch preliminary investigations.

“The night before the new Congress gets sworn in, the House GOP has eliminated the only independent ethics oversight of their actions. Evidently, ethics are the first casualty of the new Republican Congress,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in a statement.

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/house-gop-shoots-move-scrap-appropriations-committee#sthash.q2tFKHZy.dpuf

So now ethics matter?

Ya right... lol.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:So now ethics matter?

Ya right... lol.

GOP apparently wants to be left alone to work behind closed doors without oversight. Why get rid of the independent office now?

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:So now ethics matter?

Ya right... lol.

DUH, Pkr -- it wasn't the DEMOCRATS' move to get rid of this independent office, now was it?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

What's funny about this pot calling the kettle black incident is how much studying the Pres. Elect should be doing to catch up on world history etc. and he calls out the House GOP for straying from what he sees as their top priorities. Priceless.

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump called out House Republicans Tuesday for proposing a measure that would gut an independent ethics panel, although the President-elect suggested the ethics panel was "unfair."

"With all that Congress has to work on, do they really have to make the weakening of the Independent Ethics Watchdog, as unfair as it ... may be, their number one act and priority. Focus on tax reform, healthcare and so many other things of far greater importance! #DTS," Trump said over two consecutive tweets.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/02/politics/office-of-congressional-ethics-oversight-of-ethics-committee-amendment/index.html

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/us/politics/with-no-warning-house-republicans-vote-to-hobble-independent-ethics-office.html

House GOP moves to curb independent ethics office 03ethics-master768

Representative Robert Goodlatte, Republican of Virginia, in 2014. Mr. Goodlatte announced on Monday that the House Republican Conference had approved a change to weaken the Office of Congressional Ethics. Credit T.J. Kirkpatrick/Getty Images

FOXES GUARDING THE HEN HOUSE.

Markle

Markle

President Donald Trump made one Tweet and Republicans reversed course.

Seems to me you should be THANKING President Trump. True or false?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:President Donald Trump made one Tweet and Republicans reversed course.

Seems to me you should be THANKING President Trump.  True or false?

He isn't president yet, Fool!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

President Donald Trump made one Tweet and Republicans reversed course.

Agree. He could be a great President if he simply calls balls and strikes fairly. I never would have imagined the same with his conduct, but when clearly a pitch is a ball and some folks attempt to call it a strike, and President elect Trump corrects them......first he has instilled the fear of God in some Republicans, and no Democrat can criticize this issue when he is correct.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:President Donald Trump made one Tweet and Republicans reversed course.

Agree.  He could be a great President if he simply calls balls and strikes fairly.  I never would have imagined the same with his conduct, but when clearly a pitch is a ball and some folks attempt to call it a strike, and President elect Trump corrects them......first he has instilled the fear of God in some Republicans, and no Democrat can criticize this issue when he is correct.

Everyone from Congress to CEO's to foreign leaders are on thin ice with this guy because he is unpredictable. He is also vindictive and overly sensitive to criticism so he's potentially that human molotov cocktail we heard about during the campaign. People are afraid to get on his wrong side

Congress knows he has no experience with how things are done (nor does he want to find out, that's his power at the moment) so he's shooting from the hip. Today he fired a warning tweet across the bow of the R's in the House. He was correct in his assessment of what some of them were trying to do but really, what about the independent branches of government?

Congress is not going to take kindly to him trying to orchestrate their business from the WH but any resistance they might give him has potential for blow-back from someone with a long memory and a penchant for retribution. Interestingly, he could get himself in a lot of trouble with Congress if he continues down this road.

2seaoat

what about the independent branches of government?

The President is going to have to sign any bills to make it law, so he most certainly sent a warning shot over the bow of congress......He was elected by the people to drain the swamp and get some legislation done.....He was right. I still would never have voted for him, but if he does things right, I will compliment him. I did the same with President Obama who I did not vote for either time.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:President Donald Trump made one Tweet and Republicans reversed course.

He isn't president yet, Fool!

True, but I knew it would ruffle your feathers that Donald Trump is making improvements even before he takes office.

What has Petulant President Barack Hussein Obama done or said, to help the citizens in his hometown of Chicago? Donald Trump has.

What has President Obama done to keep jobs in the United States? Simple...NOTHING.

What has Donald Trump done? He stopped Ford from building a billion dollar plant in Mexico and they're going to build the cars here.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:what about the independent branches of government?

The President is going to have to sign any bills to make it law, so he most certainly sent a warning shot over the bow of congress......He was elected by the people to drain the swamp and get some legislation done.....He was right.  I still would never have voted for him, but if he does things right, I will compliment him.  I did the same with President Obama who I did not vote for either time.

Petulant President Barack Hussein Obama is a failure, so why support a failure?

2seaoat

Petulant President Barack Hussein Obama is a failure, so why support a failure?

I am uncertain if one person on this forum respects your opinion, so why would anybody care about your conclusions when you have proven you rarely understand concepts or complexities and rarely are correct on anything. President Obama and the affordable care act are helping heroin addiction in KY as reported on Vice News on HBO tonight, and people are leaving prison and for the first time breaking the cycle of addiction and saving KY money on keeping folks out of jail. They also interviewed a Republican rep who says they do not have to come up with a better law until late next year.....too funny, as the truth is rising like cream to the surface.....President Obama was a pretty smart guy who did some amazing things.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum