Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It costs to be a brand name snob... I know which one Bob would buy...LOL.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfingleton/2013/07/04/same-car-different-brand-hugely-higher-price-why-pay-an-extra-30000-for-fake-prestige/

Just how significantly is revealed in the new issue of Which?, a London-based consumer magazine. Take, for instance, the tiny European city runabout known as the Aston Martin Cygnet. In its most basic version it sells at more than $45,000. The car is actually made by Toyota and a Toyota version (identical except for some interior accoutrements) can be had for less than $17,000. On an apples-to-apples comparison, Which? reckons the average price discrepancy is more than $31,000. Thus those who prefer Aston Martin’s badge pay an outrageous three times more for exactly the same Toyota engineering!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Bob learned early in his life that an old saying most everybody went by was a bunch of utter bullshit. That saying is "you get what you pay for".
It should have been "sometimes you get what you pay for". Because a lot of times you sure as hell don't. And this is the most egregious example of it I've ever heard about.

I'll give you one hint about those times you don't get what you pay for. It's anytime the seller is hiding the price from plain view.

2seaoat

I worked for Walker Distribution after I graduated from college and was saving to start graduate school that fall. I picked exhaust system from bins. Semis would have their entire interior loaded at receiving with one type of exhaust pipe. The folks on receiving would put them in pallets and we had aisles about 200 yards long where pickers would get an order for a Nashville Napa store. We would pick their order and put an adhesive logo for Napa, the same for Sears, CarX, Montgomery Wards, Midas, and all the brand name retail exhaust locations. The pricing on those exhaust systems varied by 100% retail, and other than the plastic adhesive logo we attached, it was the same exhaust system, and out shipping it went with the magic plastic logo.

When I was in college we went on a class trip to a canning factory. I was pretty amazed when we saw the assembly line of cans and some of them had Del Monte labels put on them and some had the store brand put on. They were green beans I think and they were all the same.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum