Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Officially an Apple snob

+3
knothead
Hospital Bob
boards of FL
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Officially an Apple snob Empty Officially an Apple snob 12/8/2012, 4:21 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

I never thought I would ever have to admit this, but upon receipt of my new MacBook Air, I suppose I am officially an Apple snob. iPhone 5, iPad, and MacBook Air. Used to hate Apple until my wife got an iPhone. Never thought it would lead to this.

Goodbye, Microsoft. It was a hell of a run. I'll still see you at work and at home in Excel.

2Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/8/2012, 4:23 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

And I suppose at home in BootCamp while running STATA.

3Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/8/2012, 4:27 pm

boards of FL wrote:I never thought I would ever have to admit this, but upon receipt of my new MacBook Air, I suppose I am officially an Apple snob. iPhone 5, iPad, and MacBook Air. Used to hate Apple until my wife got an iPhone. Never thought it would lead to this.

Goodbye, Microsoft. It was a hell of a run. I'll still see you at work and at home in Excel.

LOL have fun with it all...

4Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/8/2012, 5:43 pm

boards of FL wrote:I never thought I would ever have to admit this, but upon receipt of my new MacBook Air, I suppose I am officially an Apple snob. iPhone 5, iPad, and MacBook Air. Used to hate Apple until my wife got an iPhone. Never thought it would lead to this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Welcome to the Oasis of enlightenment.

I picked up a vintage iMac the other day...the small egg shape series that started the iMac series. It's mint condition. I now have 5 Apples, and 3 HP's. The Applle's blow the PC's out of the water.

5Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/9/2012, 12:15 am

I like this iPad 3, especially the retina display, but it doesn't play flash and it is sometimes a pain in the patootie as it refuses to tell me where my files are located.

To post a pic from this iPad onto this forum, I have to post a pic to photobucket, then have photobucket generate a link that I can use here.

6Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/9/2012, 5:07 pm

I'm an apple snob, too. My favorites are McIntosh, but I am unable to find them here... maybe too high of elevation, as my understanding is that they're grown in the Northeast. My -- very close -- second favorites are Fuji Apples, locally grown and organic. YUM!

Officially an Apple snob 220px-Malus-Fuji

Razz

Really though, all joking aside and to your point, I cannot get by 30-minutes without needing to utilize Excel, so a Microsoft (who yes, I know, sucks a55) gal I shall remain. I have tried on my great uncle's and on one of my sister's Macs to try to learn to navigate, but I end up striking the Microsoft combination of keys in error and fubar-ing everything up. Mad

7Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/9/2012, 9:04 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A real man uses Android. Apple, isn't that a record company.

8Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/9/2012, 10:05 pm

Bob wrote:A real man uses Android. Apple, isn't that a record company.

I am an Android gal myself, Bobby Baby. I love my Motorola DROID 4. SO many nifty features!

I love you I love you I love you I love you

9Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 12:07 am

knothead

knothead

I remain conflicted about making the transition to Apple product line. As a life ling Microsoft user I have been told that what's the point? Can some of my forum friends who are Apple users make their case as to why a person should change after all these years . . . . . I hate chasing technology, hell I still use a flip phone. I am admittedly resistant to going to smart phones as I despise all those doing their shopping while staring at their phones. Any advice . . . . am I just being a knothead?

10Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 12:13 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote:I remain conflicted about making the transition to Apple product line. As a life ling Microsoft user I have been told that what's the point? Can some of my forum friends who are Apple users make their case as to why a person should change after all these years . . . . . I hate chasing technology, hell I still use a flip phone. I am admittedly resistant to going to smart phones as I despise all those doing their shopping while staring at their phones. Any advice . . . . am I just being a knothead?
Apple is to electronics what the Ritz is to hotels. You can sleep just as well at a Holiday Inn but you're not paying for the status symbol attached to the Ritz. Apple is appealing to the status conscious. No different than designer clothes.

11Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 12:27 am

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:A real man uses Android. Apple, isn't that a record company.

Isn't Android the one that keeps having service problems for days on end?

I still have a 4 year old flip phone....

12Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 12:34 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

Isn't Android the one that keeps having service problems for days on end?

No but it does have this.

1. Expandable storage
If your iPhone is filled with files, you're out of luck. Not the case with Android, which welcomes and supports SD cards for added storage capability.

2. Killer maps
The iPhone 5 saw Apple pull the plug on Google Maps and sub in its own mapping app. And it's embarrassingly bad. Apple CEO Tim Cook even wrote a statement apologizing for it.

3. No 'walled garden'
In the Android ecosystem, there are fewer restrictions on apps. Apple will only allow apps into its App Store after it reviews and approves them, which can take weeks. Google will let anyone who agrees to follow their policies publish an app, often within hours.

4. Ability to Choose your default apps for Web browsing, email and more
Apple forces you to use its email app and Safari Web browser by default. Android is so open that it will let you pick any alternative browser or email client to be your default. If you want to get especially customized, you can even change keyboards.

5. Support for multiple app stores
Yet another extension of Android's open attitude: You are free to not only run any app you wish, but that app can come from any Android-based app store you want. Amazon operates one, for example.

6. Multiple hardware choices
Not everyone wants to have the same exact phone. Because Android runs on multiple devices, you can have your choice of processor speed, screen size, and price.

7. Standard cables and dock connections
There's no goofy Lightning connector in the Android world. Your phone connects to and syncs with your computer via a few different types of readily available, standard USB cables.

8. Better widgets
An Android lock screen displays more useful information than an iPhone's and does so in a more aesthetically pleasing way. Graphic weather updates, album art for music, and notifications for missed calls and the like show up neatly.

9. Better integration with Google services
It only makes sense that a Google-based mobile operating system should integrate gracefully with Google's Web services. If you're a Google Calendar user or Google Drive warrior, you only need to log into your Google account once and everything syncs up in a snap. If you've tried using Apple's iCloud, you know it doesn't match up to Google's web prowess.

13Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 12:37 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

knothead wrote:I remain conflicted about making the transition to Apple product line. As a life ling Microsoft user I have been told that what's the point? Can some of my forum friends who are Apple users make their case as to why a person should change after all these years . . . . . I hate chasing technology, hell I still use a flip phone. I am admittedly resistant to going to smart phones as I despise all those doing their shopping while staring at their phones. Any advice . . . . am I just being a knothead?

OMG, finally something you and I have in common! Just make a choice already about what flavor/color/size you want to buy, put in it your buggy, and get out of the way! Does it really require a long conversation/multiple text messages with someone over the phone to get your grocery shopping done?

14Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 12:52 am

Lisa12

I use Microsoft Excel on my Apple computer. Works great!

15Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 1:09 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sales figures...

Officially an Apple snob Sales_10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone#Historical_sales_figures

16Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 1:15 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Apple vs Google (Android) for the last six months.

Officially an Apple snob Stock_10

17Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 1:27 am

2seaoat

The Note 2 platform is going to be a meld of the Iphone and Ipad......I put windows 8 on one of my laptops.....not bad.....but nothing earth shattering.....the Note 2 phone is a little big, but it fits in my pocket and I will be purchasing one in January......I am not watching episodes of HBO programing on my windows 8 laptop at night and it is great......free service which allows me to see all my old favorite series.....when I can view this on a phone with 4g service.....perfection.....put a wireless keyboard and mouse....monitor to boot.....the Note 2 platform is going to win this battle....and Google stock should reflect the success of this platform.

18Officially an Apple snob Empty Re: Officially an Apple snob 12/10/2012, 2:37 am

I have mixed emotions about apple PC's. In 2006 apple shifted from the IBM Power PC which is a RISC processor to the Intel x86 processors. In my opinion this hurt what use to make an Apple an Apple, extreme speed and stability. Apple did this to survive. Up until this point Apple and PC's were not compatible. Apple code would not work on a PC and Microsoft code would not work on an Apple. Apple has dominated in the realm of 3D animation and graphics, a RISC processor just handles data better and faster period but in every other area of computing they were loosing market share, especially the gaming industry. It was a logical move on Apples part and a smart one but with that move has come some problems. First Apple use to have extremely tight coding standards for software developers (still applies to the Iphone, Ipad platform) and since Apple wanted to integrate and run windows code they were forced to loosen those standards which has opened the door to poor and buggy coding practices. The newer OSX platforms are starting to have the same issues as windows PC's and are just not as stable.

Second Apple has always been the snob of the computing world and has insisted for many years that they do not get viruses well right after the switch over of processors (literally one month, thanks microsoft) apple discovered oompa loompa or LEAP a computer worm that was spread only on local intranets through the bonjour protocol. Any one remember flashback? Infected over 600k Macs. Apple security has always been at least a decade behind windows security but they have finally come off of their high horse and realized they need to do something.

BUT there is a BIG plus to all of this change, since OSX 10.4 the Mac kernel has been based off of the UNIX kernel (which I love). Macs are adopting UNIX security standards and when they get it all nailed down they will surpass windows security. This also helps in the realm of networking. Macs use to have very poor networking performance and all kinds of compatibility issues when adding them to a mixed PC, UNIX, Linux environment. I absolutely hate connecting older Macs to windows servers, you can watch the network load increase 50% just adding an old Mac and you are gonna have packet collisions coming out of your. The newer ones are a lot easier and definitely play nicer with windows servers.

Who can deny the sheer elegance and beauty of the Mac interface, once you go Mac you never go back. Apple has always had some of the most ingenious and visionary coders, it is on display with the Macs interface. I still have a G5 Power PC "Cypher" running OSX 10.3 Panther (the last true Mac). It can not keep up with my 8 core AMD but it damn sure looks good trying.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum