Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The farm bill passed by the house......we have lost our country

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

A 600 plus page bill which is cutting snap, and I have not found the link yet......but it is my understanding that Americans will now pay 60% of the premiums for farm insurance which will now allow a guarantee which used to be 80% of income guaranteed to now 90% being guaranteed.  This is going to be paid by you and I to guarantee every corporate farm will receive 90% of their income and they will only need to pay the 40% of the actual premiums for the same......we are talking about a huge subsidy to the wealthy corporate farming interests, at the same time poor people are having significant cuts in benefits across the board.

We are broken.  First, this bill should have been segmented out and there should be cuts made in snap based upon fraud, and to accomplish that it may be necessary to hire more investigators.  I would rather not have 20k new border guards, and take just 1000 new investigators going after food stamp fraud.

Now, once this red herring is broken off and addressed we will not allow a bill rammed through late last night to hide the real dollar costs with these obscene subsidies to American agricultural corporate interests.   How many people would like to have a disability policy which will pay 90% of their income next year if they get sick or are unable to work, and only have to pay 40% of premium costs with the rest of taxpayers picking up the rest of the bill.........where is the outrage..........I cannot understand one Republican voting for this segment of the bill.   I cannot understand one democrat voting for the snap reform portions.......sorry.....these party's have just failed to do the proper business of this country.   I will try to get the complete links later tonight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/12/us/politics/house-bill-would-split-farm-and-food-stamp-programs.html?_r=0

2seaoat

Every congressman or senator who is getting a farm subsidy of any kind should not vote on this bill........this is outrageous.......I will vote to have the taxpayers guarantee my farm income......gee what could possibly go wrong.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This is a perfect example of getting the best government money can buy. He who has the gold rules and so on. This once rather lovely country has indeed lost its way. We have reached or are very close to the tipping point. We may have gone past it. I don't know how we reverse this destructive, expensive, greedy path we are on but if we don't and it continues to get worse, then what?

2seaoat

We have reached or are very close to the tipping point.

As a Christian, I am concerned how far we have strayed...........My friend makes about 350k a year on about a 500 acre farm.....he gets a 40k check each year from the government. The only good thing is that every American can go to a site and see how much folks around them are getting in subsidy.......these folks are millionaires.......I am certain folks are cheating on food stamps......but the family who is struggling with illness, lost work, and absolute poverty....to be allowing a child in that family to have less food when a guy who is making 350k a year while getting a 40k gift from each of us...........I do not think we have to argue about Christian tenets having any influence on government anymore......damn the poor children and wrap the bacon for the rich.

2seaoat wrote:A 600 plus page bill which is cutting snap, and I have not found the link yet......but it is my understanding that Americans will now pay 60% of the premiums for farm insurance which will now allow a guarantee which used to be 80% of income guaranteed to now 90% being guaranteed.  This is going to be paid by you and I to guarantee every corporate farm will receive 90% of their income and they will only need to pay the 40% of the actual premiums for the same......we are talking about a huge subsidy to the wealthy corporate farming interests, at the same time poor people are having significant cuts in benefits across the board.

We are broken.  First, this bill should have been segmented out and there should be cuts made in snap based upon fraud, and to accomplish that it may be necessary to hire more investigators.  I would rather not have 20k new border guards, and take just 1000 new investigators going after food stamp fraud.

Now, once this red herring is broken off and addressed we will not allow a bill rammed through late last night to hide the real dollar costs with these obscene subsidies to American agricultural corporate interests.   How many people would like to have a disability policy which will pay 90% of their income next year if they get sick or are unable to work, and only have to pay 40% of premium costs with the rest of taxpayers picking up the rest of the bill.........where is the outrage..........I cannot understand one Republican voting for this segment of the bill.   I cannot understand one democrat voting for the snap reform portions.......sorry.....these party's have just failed to do the proper business of this country.   I will try to get the complete links later tonight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/12/us/politics/house-bill-would-split-farm-and-food-stamp-programs.html?_r=0

No Food Stamp provisions in the bill that passed....

Sal

Sal

Mind-numbingly stupid and self-defeating - welcome to your 21st Century version of the GOP.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

People, poor people, don't have power other than the vote and the GOP is doing their best to make sure their access to the ballot is limited. That, plus the money the well off can pump into the media and directly into congress is crippling the intended functioning of the government. We are not well.

othershoe1030 wrote:People, poor people, don't have power other than the vote and the GOP is doing their best to make sure their access to the ballot is limited. That, plus the money the well off can pump into the media and directly into congress is crippling the intended functioning of the government. We are not well.

WHO is in charge?.....The GOP is responsible for ALL?....No No No

2seaoat wrote:Every congressman or senator who is getting a farm subsidy of any kind should not vote on this bill........this is outrageous.......I will vote to have the taxpayers guarantee my farm income......gee what could possibly go wrong.

"The bill would end programs that give $5 billion a year in direct payments to farmers, regardless of their economic circumstances, and shift federal farming support to a set of federally subsidized crop-insurance programs."

Fact is the House simply separated the food program from the farm bill - nothing changes while they work on an overhauled food program which has DOUBLED in cost since - wait for it - 2008. If anyone thinks there isn't extraordinary waste in SNAP then you are living in a dream world.

nochain wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Every congressman or senator who is getting a farm subsidy of any kind should not vote on this bill........this is outrageous.......I will vote to have the taxpayers guarantee my farm income......gee what could possibly go wrong.

"The bill would end programs that give $5 billion a year in direct payments to farmers, regardless of their economic circumstances, and shift federal farming support to a set of federally subsidized crop-insurance programs."

Fact is the House simply separated the food program from the farm bill - nothing changes while they work on an overhauled food program which has DOUBLED in cost since - wait for it - 2008. If anyone thinks there isn't extraordinary waste in SNAP then you are living in a dream world.

These are the kind of reactions that happen when an 'entitlement' is either reduced or cut....The food stamp program is a mirror of the incompetence of this administration and those that blindly support this incompetence are just more part of the problem...the cowh said he will veto the bill and that is right in line with his philosophies of more spending and government control....but to keep reading that this is the fault of the republicans simply shows that there are and will always be some that refuse to see that 'we are not well' and it starts at the top....

2seaoat

292 billion give aways to a booming agricultural sector which the link below shows are profitable corporate interests and this bill brags about taking 5 billion dollars away from the wealthy, and takes 3% of the average 130 dollar food benefit under snap for cuts to poor people. I have no problem in cuts in the budget which are catching people who do not deserve the benefits, but taking approximately five bucks of food from a poor kid and taking less proportionately from the bloated subsidy of the wealthy.....there proposed subsidies are being cut far less than half of what the poor kid's cut in food......Republican.....Democrat.....sorry either you have morality or you do not.......this country has become obscene with the control the oligarchy has over our Congress. We should be cutting 30 billion a year in farm subsidies every for the next five years.......at the same time we should have investigators going after food stamp fraud......but to actually give more to fat cat corporate interests and take food from children........I simply do not understand folks on the forum......how can any American support this bill.......

http://farm.ewg.org/top_recips.php?fips=00000&progcode=total

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

newswatcher wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:People, poor people, don't have power other than the vote and the GOP is doing their best to make sure their access to the ballot is limited. That, plus the money the well off can pump into the media and directly into congress is crippling the intended functioning of the government. We are not well.

WHO is in charge?.....The GOP is responsible for ALL?....No No No

The corporations are in charge, not the government. I say the GOP is more on the side of the multi-nationals because I can't remember the last time they voted in favor of anything that was of benefit to the regular Joe working people in this country. If it were up to them they'd do away with Social Security and Medicare, outlaw unions, destroy what's left of the public school system, continue to do away with as much of the bureaucracy as possible, kill what remains of any kind of environmental regulations, banking regulations, do away with the IRS completely and then I suppose build some walls around where ever it is they decide is good enough for them to live, hire their own security patrols, medical personnel etc. and let the rest of us survive however we can. That looks like their plan to me and I'm not alone.

If you can give me a list of any legislation they've passed within the last 25 years that has turned out to benefit the middle class and working class of this country then I'd love to see it because I think they are just in it for whatever they can milk from the system the to hell with the rest of us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum