Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Angie's List

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Angie's List Empty Angie's List 7/10/2013, 8:05 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Has anyone here had any experience with Angie's List? I've seen the ads and joined for a project in Algiers. The reviews by clients of various carpenters, plumbers, etc. look credible. Just wondering.

2Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 10:23 am

cool1

cool1

I don't know

3Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 12:19 pm

Angie lies in every commercial shown. She says contractors dont pay for reviews but I hear they can pay to get their reviews bumped up to the top.

4Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 12:31 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

What do you need done?

5Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 1:51 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Floridatexan wrote:
What do you need done?

This place will be a second home, a place to hang out in, in the NO area. It is currently vacant with no AC, needs complete rewiring, which we can do. It is going to be kind of a hobby re-doing it. Needless to say it will require a complete re-do on the plumbing too since it was a 1938 house and was plumbed with galvanized pipe! There is termite damage.
I have re-done the floor plan to make it into a 2/2. It is a little shotgun with two very poorly done "additions". The basic house is 15 x 45. It is not my/our first renovation. It will be fun...LOL!

6Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 2:00 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

othershoe1030 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
What do you need done?

This place will be a second home, a place to hang out in, in the NO area. It is currently vacant with no AC, needs complete rewiring, which we can do. It is going to be kind of a hobby re-doing it. Needless to say it will require a complete re-do on the plumbing too since it was a 1938 house and was plumbed with galvanized pipe! There is termite damage.
I have re-done the floor plan to make it into a 2/2. It is a little shotgun with two very poorly done "additions". The basic house is 15 x 45. It is not my/our first renovation. It will be fun...LOL!

Hahaaa! Sounds like you're describing my humble home here in Pensacola, including the two poorly done additions! When I first viewed this house in 1989, I was wondering when the house would actually come to an end.

I fell in love with the place, of course.

How difficult will it be to obtain homeowner's insurance on your new abode, OS? If I knew then what I know now, I would probably not have bought this house, no matter how much I loved it.

EDIT: I just checked out Angie's List for the first time. I'm a little leery of paying anything for a service that could easily be manipulated in favor of contractors or businesses. It seems it could also be used to libel good contractors. I wonder how or if "Angie" verifies the information displayed on the site?

7Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 3:45 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PBulldog2 wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
What do you need done?

Hahaaa! Sounds like you're describing my humble home here in Pensacola, including the two poorly done additions! When I first viewed this house in 1989, I was wondering when the house would actually come to an end.

How difficult will it be to obtain homeowner's insurance on your new abode, OS? If I knew then what I know now, I would probably not have bought this house, no matter how much I loved it.

EDIT:  I just checked out Angie's List for the first time. I'm a little leery of paying anything for a service that could easily be manipulated in favor of contractors or businesses. It seems it could also be used to libel good contractors. I wonder how or if "Angie" verifies the information displayed on the site?

I'll be getting a builder's risk policy until it is habitable. Fortunately there is room for our very small camp trailer which we may be able to set up for a few days at a time. A 'vacancy inspection' by the building inspector has to be done before the power is turned on. May have to do a post for the meter to have power for tools.

Surprisingly, the original windows still function! They were not painted or caulked or nailed shut, quite unusual! I was seriously considering writing a blog about the whole thing because of interest in rebuilding NO but don't know where such a thing might find an audience.

8Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 3:53 pm

Algiers is a tough hood, I've lived there for at least a year being in the shipyard through the years(since late70's).. We would be in for at least a month up to 4 months depending on the work being done.. I'm a decent sized person and I still carried a gun when I was there..

9Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/10/2013, 4:17 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Lurch wrote:Algiers is a tough hood, I've lived there for at least a year being in the shipyard through the years(since late70's).. We would be in for at least a month up to 4 months depending on the work being done.. I'm a decent sized person and I still carried a gun when I was there..
Martha's Vineyard it is not! We plan the usual security options, the fencing, etc. Some people are just crazy. It seems to be the norm in NO that things not nailed down are up for grabs. Here's the crime report map for the area. This is what I've been looking at.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans

10Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/11/2013, 6:29 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

othershoe1030 wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
What do you need done?

EDIT:  I just checked out Angie's List for the first time. I'm a little leery of paying anything for a service that could easily be manipulated in favor of contractors or businesses. It seems it could also be used to libel good contractors. I wonder how or if "Angie" verifies the information displayed on the site?

I'll be getting a builder's risk policy until it is habitable. Fortunately there is room for our very small camp trailer which we may be able to set up for a few days at a time. A 'vacancy inspection' by the building inspector has to be done before the power is turned on. May have to do a post for the meter to have power for tools.

Surprisingly, the original windows still function! They were not painted or caulked or nailed shut, quite unusual! I was seriously considering writing a blog about the whole thing because of interest in rebuilding NO but don't know where such a thing might find an audience.

What about Facebook? Not your personal account, but an account that addresses rebuilding NO using your new house as an example. After you get it going on FB, gauge the interest and proceed from there. You can keep this account separate from your personal account (if you have one) as well as keep it anonymous.

I'm quite interested in reading about it. Pictures, too! Smile 

11Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/11/2013, 9:34 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PBulldog2 wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
What do you need done?

What about Facebook? Not your personal account, but an account that addresses rebuilding NO using your new house as an example. After you get it going on FB, gauge the interest and proceed from there. You can keep this account separate from your personal account (if you have one) as well as keep it anonymous.

I'm quite interested in reading about it.  Pictures, too! Smile 

I didn't know FB had blogs. Pictures would be good. I have some of the 'before' category. I always say it is not the before or after that gets you, it's the in-between part that's a killer!  thanks for the idea.

12Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/11/2013, 10:36 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

othershoe1030 wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
What do you need done?

I'm quite interested in reading about it.  Pictures, too! Smile 

I didn't know FB had blogs. Pictures would be good. I have some of the 'before' category. I always say it is not the before or after that gets you, it's the in-between part that's a killer!  thanks for the idea.

Heck, Facebook is just one big blog!

Seriously, you can write an entry of any length. All a follower needs to do is click on the entry to see the entire article. A picture with a commentary (again, you can write as much as you wish) makes it more fun to share with others.

I hope you decide to do this. sunny 

13Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/11/2013, 10:53 am

cool1

cool1

Lurch wrote:Algiers is a tough hood, I've lived there for at least a year being in the shipyard through the years(since late70's).. We would be in for at least a month up to 4 months depending on the work being done.. I'm a decent sized person and I still carried a gun when I was there..

I got held at gunpoint also in Algiers --I lived in Gretna at the time not to far from there - They got me then ran and got another man that just walked out his house to get in his truck-lived there for 9 years bad area ! This was years ago though.

14Angie's List Empty Re: Angie's List 7/11/2013, 12:00 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

cool1 wrote:

I got held at gunpoint also in Algiers --I lived in Gretna at the time not to far from there - They got me then ran and got another man that just walked out his house to get in his truck-lived there for 9 years bad area ! This was years ago though.

Sobering information! Algiers does have a bad rap. I'm going by the police crime report map and also seeing some nice improvements in the area since Katrina.

Hopefully this will be a good experience with no guns in my face! I hope to get into the art scene over there. If the neighborhood proves too challenging I will have to sell at a profit and get into a better area.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum