Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food Network Cans Paula Deen for Being Awful Person

+8
Markle
Hospital Bob
knothead
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
2seaoat
Sal
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:I bet the percentage of white southerners who have never in their lives used the "n" word is probably smaller than the percentage of southerners who've never ate grits.

That's why I love you, Bob.  That deep and abiding cynicism.  BTW, I like grits but really didn't develop a taste for them until I moved here.  It's much more common in Texas to find hash browns on the menu.  And one of my daughters (born here) doesn't like grits, so it may be more of a personal preference thing than is commonly believed.  Great, now I have a pic in my head of Paula Deen saying with genuine puzzlement, "Y'all don't lak grits?"  

Here's my thinking...we have all been taught things that are wrong...it is up to us to break the chain.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I bet no matter how this goes down, Paula Dean will still be able to get a cooking show on Blab TV.   So many of those Blab show hosts have ended up going to the penitentiary that there's always a void needing more.

Floridatexan wrote:Here's my thinking...we have all been taught things that are wrong...it is up to us to break the chain.

Food Network Cans Paula Deen for Being Awful Person - Page 3 Th?id=H.4640519921927109&pid=1

So when are you going to start doing that darlin'?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUnqbBgYZmI

Very Happy

Joanimaroni wrote:A discrimination lawsuit from a former employee at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House.

She gave a deposition and was asked if she had ever in her life used the N word....she said she was sure at some point in her life she had said the word....

For God sake the N word was very common in the 50's especially growing up in the south. Hell our black housekeeper used it all the time.

All of this crap is being blown out of proportion due to her celebrity status and deep pockets....It's called getting a piece of her pie.

I agree. It was common in the 60's and 70's. I think it's absurd them going after her for something so long ago as much as I think it's absurd for Seaoat to try and deny he used the word growing up  in Alabama.

They should never have fired her if what I've seen is all there is to it. A lot of people used the "N" word in the past who no longer use it. They are ruining her career for something that happened years before. People grow and change. They shouldn't be punished for things they did before they learned better.
I'm not a fan and have never watched any of her shows, but she does make some good cakes that we buy at Walmart sometimes.

Floridatexan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Maybe the angry viewers are tired of the racist claim being thrown every which way.   And here, it is thrown around again, accusing her fans of being racist. 

But it's ok to call a white person a cracker. Suspect

I find it hilarious that both you and Joani took offense at a statement that I can't remember ever seeing on either this forum or the PNJ and wasn't directed at you.  I believe the term actually refers to those who drove wagons loaded with the lumber that once constituted a major part of the local economy...as in "cracking the whip".  And you wonder why anyone would be sensitive to the N word...ridiculous.
I believe the word "cracker" does come from cracking the whip, but not on the back of any mules pulling a lumber wagon. That's cleaning it up quite a bit. It's not a word that should be used either.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

from wiki

Etymology

There are multiple explanations of the etymology of "cracker", most dating its origin to the 18th century or earlier. One theory holds that slave foremen in the antebellum South used bullwhips to discipline African slaves, with such use of the whip being described as 'cracking the whip'. The white foremen who cracked these whips thus became known as "crackers".[3][4][5][6]

They are called by the town's-people, "Crackers," from the frequency with which they crack their large whips, as if they derived a peculiar pleasure from the sound"[7]

'A cracker cowboy' with his Florida Cracker Horse and dog by Frederick Remington, 1895

Another whip-derived theory is based on Florida's "cracker cowboys" of the 19th and early 20th centuries; distinct from the Spanish vaquero and the Western cowboy. Cracker cowboys did not use lassos to herd or capture cattle. Their primary tools were cow whips and dogs.[8][citation needed]

Yet another whip-derived theory traces this term from Middle English word "cnac" or "craic" which originally meant the sound of a cracking whip, but came to refer to any loud noise. In Elizabethan times this could refer to "entertaining conversation" (one may be said to "crack" a joke) and could be used to describe loud braggarts; this term and the Gaelic spelling craic are still in use in Ireland, Scotland and Northern England. It is documented in Shakespeare's King John (1595): "What cracker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?"[9][10]

An alternative theory holds that the term comes from the common diet of poor whites. The 1911 edition of Encyclopedia Britannica supposes that the term derives from the cracked (kernels of) corn which formed the staple food of this class of people.[11]

2seaoat

I call my grandson "cracker".......his name is graham..........but maybe I should now become concerned that by calling him a cracker.....it has racial overtones.

Nope......it will be cracker.

2seaoat

I think it's absurd for Seaoat to try and deny he used the word growing up  in Alabama.

The smile machine keeps giving.....nope to all your assumptions.....I never used the N word other than to repeat what somebody had referenced, or in regard to a geographic description which everyone to this day describes with the N word.......I try to say N creek, or N island......or N road.....most of these geographic areas have had their names changed, but as usual.....you may have used that word.....no doubt in my mind......but I did not......I had a mother who would not tolerate racism......a child of racism who broke the chain of hate.....I find many faults in my mother.....but I will always thank her for her wisdom in this regard.

Nekochan

Nekochan

If racist terms offend then they should offend across the board, regardless of which race the offensive term is aimed at.    I have seen racism in the USA.  I have seen racism in Japan.   It's wrong everywhere, no matter what race of the person it's aimed at or what race of the person who's using the racist term.  Equal treatment, equal respect, no matter the person's race.  

I do not believe that FT meant "cracker" to be a term of endearment when she hurled the term at BP.

People grow and learn and change.  I do not know what is in Paula Deen's heart, but to be successful in a civil lawsuit against her is going to require that the  person suing her show that Deen knew there was an hostile work environment in her business but did nothing to stop it.   I would imagine that Deen has had employees of different races.  Their testimony, and not just the testimony of one person, will tell a more complete story.

2seaoat

I do not believe that FT meant "cracker" to be a term of endearment when she hurled the term at BP.

I thought she was using it in reference to Humpty Dumpty......who fell off the wall and got cracked.....and all the King's men could not put BP back together.....so many of his comments are cracked.......or scrambled......that I might have projected my observations of BP onto Tex......scrambled or cracked......Humpty fell off the wall........yea......my bad.

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:I do not believe that FT meant "cracker" to be a term of endearment when she hurled the term at BP.

I thought she was using it in reference to Humpty Dumpty......who fell off the wall and got cracked.....and all the King's men could not put BP back together.....so many of his comments are cracked.......or scrambled......that I might have projected my observations of BP onto Tex......scrambled or cracked......Humpty fell off the wall........yea......my bad.
Do you think racism is humorous, depending on who is the brunt of it?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

So if we are going to go back to origin of the term cracker then we must include this one.....

Ultimately from the adjective niger, meaning "black". Most of the Romance languages (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, etc) have the word "negro" meaning "black" (in colour) derived from the Latin "niger". During the period in America's history when black workers were shipped to America to work as slaves, this word came to be adopted from the Hispanic South American languages to describe a person of dark skin. Essentially, a "negro" person simply means a "black" person. Through constant repetition of the Spanish word in the American accent, it seems likely that the word was corrupted from "negro" to "niggero" to simply "nigger".

2seaoat

Do you think racism is humorous, depending on who is the brunt of it?

yes.....anything regarding BP is usually funny to me......but does not racism require that you are talking about the same species.......I cannot verify the same, so if somebody called a skunk a cracker.....I would not associate racism with that comment, nor can I verify that BP is the same species to jump to that conclusion......after listening to his arguments on Maritime Park.....I suspected he might have been a sea turtle who liked the old overgrown stomping grounds......but then again.....I could be wrong.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I have no idea what you're talking about, Seaoat.  But double standards don't help your cause any.

2seaoat

Ultimately from the adjective niger, meaning "black".

By golly gee.....to think that is what Paula meant......I love my grits with plenty of butter, eggs over easy, and plenty of pepper......but the N word always had different meaning to me.......maybe that butter has clogged my arteries to my brain......but they are yummy.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Seaoat, I am sympathetic to your stories of experiencing racism while growing up.  Your making light of racist terms other than the N word diminishes your argument.

2seaoat

I have no idea what you're talking about, Seaoat.  But double standards don't help your cause any.

Calling a person a N where de jure laws make that person a second class citizen, and calling a person a C when that person is part of the ruling class which has created the laws which subordinated the other is the essence of the use of the word......yes racism is international....always has been a part of the human experience, but when laws are written or political parties encourage the same racism, therein lies the onerous and unjust part of the paradigm.  If the black person who has to give up their seat on the bus to a white person.....responds to N......get to the back of the bus......with an under the breath.....yes sir.......cracker.......both words have racial connotations, but to ignore the context.....well that is how you get folks like Paula......totally believing what they were taught as a child, but clever enough not to use the N word when asking somebody to go to the back of the bus.....be waitstaff at a wedding, or moving away from a blackboard.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Food Network Cans Paula Deen for Being Awful Person - Page 3 58013910

Nekochan

Nekochan

Seaoat,  I sort of understand what you're getting at,  but you cannot expect people to listen and understand if you blow off other types of racist terms and even chuckle and make light of them.

I'm sorry, but I cannot take your concerns that seriously if you are one-sided in your criticism.

2seaoat

Your making light of racist terms other than the N word diminishes your argument.

I played two years on a basketball team where I was the only white player with 9 black players.   Anybody who does not think racism goes both ways is being silly.   I had to fight tooth and nail to get a damn pass, and it was not based on my playing ability.....it was racial......but the difference was the context.......you completely ignore the context of racism....for years, and the context is power and politics.   It is the Dixiecrats in modern American politics, and that is exactly the argument which is made by that power structure.....we have solved racism......there is equality.......there is racism the other way.......the new folks being treated unfairly are white people.......nope....Paula could be a spokesperson for that movement......when ten fold wasteful subsidies in the farm bill are going to wealthy corporate farms, the cuts are coming to snap.....because black people abuse the same.....there is fraud.....therefore all snap receipients will have benefits cut......yet not a mention of the farm lobby and the fraud on the American people on the agricultural subsidy which is busting our treasury......racial politics are alive and well....and I will call them like I see them....Paula was neutral to me......until I heard her words.......but to equate that this false sense of outrage with the use of the word cracker....well now that I think about.......it is funny to me.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Seaoat...I didn't take offense to FT using the term cracker. I merely pointed out her hypocrisy..

More gobblygook frpm Seaoat. I think he has a master degree in it.

Nekochan

Nekochan

You have to think in a global perspective if you are serious about educating people when it comes to racism. Yes, whites are in the majority here in the USA, although that is quickly changing.  Whites have been in the positions of power in our history.   However, this is quickly changing.   We cannot exclude the rest of the world here  in 2013 and just talk about Alabama, circa 1960, when we discuss racism.   It's a smaller world than it was in 1960.  It's wrong to discriminate or mistreat someone or hurl racial slurs at someone no matter where you live in the world or what color your skin is or what color the skin is of the person you're aiming your hate towards.

2seaoat

More gobblygook frpm Seaoat. I think he has a master degree in it.

Actually a doctorate............

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum