Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paula Deen II......

+3
Sal
Nekochan
Joanimaroni
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Paula Deen II...... Empty Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 9:24 am

The 'race based allegations' made against Ms Deen have been thrown out of court...A little too late after she has already been convicted and punished in the public court?....

2 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 9:28 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

newswatcher wrote:The 'race based allegations' made against Ms Deen have been thrown out of court...A little too late after she has already been convicted and punished in the public court?....
 Very sad indeed....the employee making the allegation admitted Paula never discriminated against her employees.

3 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 9:29 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Great damage has already been done to the woman.  What is most disturbing to me is some of the things said and done by other celebrities/entertainers and they're  mostly given a free pass on it.  But Deen was crucified.  I believe Deen was found guilty mostly based on her being an older, southern white woman.

4 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 9:33 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:The 'race based allegations' made against Ms Deen have been thrown out of court...A little too late after she has already been convicted and punished in the public court?....
 Very sad indeed....the employee making the allegation admitted Paula never discriminated against her employees.
We did not go to her restaurant when we were in Savannah several weeks ago. We stopped by the restaurant at around noon and was told that the earliest table would be available at 9:00 pm that night. But next time we plan a trip to Savannah, I'm going to make reservations ahead of time.

5 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 9:43 am

Nekochan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
We did not go to her restaurant when we were in Savannah several weeks ago.  We stopped by the restaurant at around noon and was told that the earliest table would be available at 9:00 pm that night.  But next time we plan a trip to  Savannah, I'm going to make reservations ahead of time.
    It's certainly easy to condemn and punish someone in the court of public opinion but how does Ms Deen get some kind of justice and what about all those that were so quick to comment and call her a racist?...The FoodNetwork and all other sponsers (employers) of Ms Deen should be doing a LOT of soul searching for their actions...And finally once AGAIN the media did a horrible hatchet job and they do nothing or are not accountable...they just move along to the next story...

6 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 9:59 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

newswatcher wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
We did not go to her restaurant when we were in Savannah several weeks ago.  We stopped by the restaurant at around noon and was told that the earliest table would be available at 9:00 pm that night.  But next time we plan a trip to  Savannah, I'm going to make reservations ahead of time.
    It's certainly easy to condemn and punish someone in the court of public opinion but how does Ms Deen get some kind of justice and what about all those that were so quick to comment and call her a racist?...The FoodNetwork and all other sponsers (employers) of Ms Deen should be doing a LOT of soul searching for their actions...And finally once AGAIN the media did a horrible hatchet job and they do nothing or are not accountable...they just move along to the next story...
 Many fans of Paula have stopped watching Food Network....I did and I sent them an email letting them know my disgust....along with thousands and thousands of other fans.

7 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:01 am

Sal

Sal

Paula's celebrity wasn't destroyed due to a discrimination lawsuit.

It was destroyed because it was revealed that she is a hateful, bigoted, idiot.

So, have another deep fried, butter-blasted, lard ball, and don't skimp on the gravy, cause that cow ain't gettin' back into the barn.

8 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:05 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:Paula's celebrity wasn't destroyed due to a discrimination lawsuit.

So, have another deep fried, butter-blasted, lard ball, and don't skimp on the gravy, cause that cow ain't gettin' back into the barn.
Watch out there now, Sal.  Judging from many of your posts, you could be describing yourself.

9 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:07 am

2seaoat

guilty mostly based on her being an older, southern white woman.

I have to agree. Sometimes you cannot sell a product if you have the views of an older southern white woman. We all grow up with certain training and indoctrination by our parents, and to allow that upbringing to be unfiltered, well the results are certainly not a surprise.

If you read the civil complaint, the racial discrimination was never the main part of the civil suit. It was based on sexual harassment and abusive treatment, and the complainant was white who also had interjected as part of the abusive treatment that an environment of racism made for a hostile workplace. The court still has the abusive treatment component alive and well but found that the racial component did not apply to the complainant who was white. This was a standing argument. The decision never went to the merits of her actions. You post as if the discrimination was proven to have never happened.......please understand that without standing, the court never goes to the ultimate issues at hand, and it is utter ignorance to think that the dismissal somehow alleviates the allegations of the complaint.

The court ruled the complainant was an accidental victim of the discrimination, and that her status as a white person did not give her standing on the issue of racial discrimination. So Please do not misinterpret the law......once again people are saying poor Paula......hardly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/us/racial-bias-claim-dismissed-for-paula-deen.html?_r=0

10 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:11 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:guilty mostly based on her being an older, southern white woman.

I have to agree.  Sometimes you cannot sell a product if you have the views of an older southern white woman.   We all grow up with certain training and indoctrination by our parents, and to allow that upbringing to be unfiltered, well the results are certainly not a surprise.

If you read the civil complaint, the racial discrimination was never the main part of the civil suit.   It was based on sexual harassment and abusive treatment, and the complainant was white who also had interjected as part of the abusive treatment that an environment of racism made for a hostile workplace.   The court still has the abusive treatment component alive and well but found that the racial component did not apply to the complainant who was white.   This was a standing argument.  The decision never went to the merits of her actions.  You post as if the discrimination was proven to have never happened.......please understand that without standing, the court never goes to the ultimate issues at hand, and it is utter ignorance to think that the dismissal somehow alleviates the allegations of the complaint.  

The court ruled the complainant was an accidental victim of the discrimination, and that her status as a white person did not give her standing on the issue of racial discrimination.   So Please do not misinterpret the law......once again people are saying poor Paula......hardly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/us/racial-bias-claim-dismissed-for-paula-deen.html?_r=0
You post as if the court has already found Deen guilty of discrimination.  What the court said was that even IF Deen did racially discriminate, it did not affect the plaintiff.

But Judge William T. Moore Jr., of Federal District Court in Savannah, ruled that Ms. Jackson did not meet the standard for protection under federal law and said she was no more than “an accidental victim of the alleged racial discrimination.”

Last edited by Nekochan on 8/13/2013, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

11 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:12 am

2seaoat

Many fans of Paula have stopped watching Food Network....I did and I sent them an email letting them know my disgust....along with thousands and thousands of other fans.

Folks always have the right to support a racist. She may actually be a wonderful woman, and a great cook, but it is her racist views which have been attacked, and your support of the woman is support for all of the woman..........including her racist views.......which is your right as an American.

12 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:12 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I have to agree.  Sometimes you cannot sell a product if you have the views of an older southern white woman.   We all grow up with certain training and indoctrination by our parents, and to allow that upbringing to be unfiltered, well the results are certainly not a surprise.

If you read the civil complaint, the racial discrimination was never the main part of the civil suit.   It was based on sexual harassment and abusive treatment, and the complainant was white who also had interjected as part of the abusive treatment that an environment of racism made for a hostile workplace.   The court still has the abusive treatment component alive and well but found that the racial component did not apply to the complainant who was white.   This was a standing argument.  The decision never went to the merits of her actions.  You post as if the discrimination was proven to have never happened.......please understand that without standing, the court never goes to the ultimate issues at hand, and it is utter ignorance to think that the dismissal somehow alleviates the allegations of the complaint.  

The court ruled the complainant was an accidental victim of the discrimination, and that her status as a white person did not give her standing on the issue of racial discrimination.   So Please do not misinterpret the law......once again people are saying poor Paula......hardly.

It was never about Paula....it was sexual harassment  against Bubba Deen.  The black employees interviewed said they never experienced discrimination.

13 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:13 am

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:
Sal wrote:Paula's celebrity wasn't destroyed due to a discrimination lawsuit.

Watch out there now, Sal.  Judging from many of your posts, you could be describing yourself.

Your deft and surgical deployment of the, "I know you are, but what am I?", debate tactic is duly noted.

I am devastated.

lol

14 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:15 am

2seaoat

You post as if the court has already found Deen guilty of discrimination. What the court said was that even IF Deen did racially discriminate, it did not affect the plaintiff.

No the court simply ruled the plaintiff had no standing. It did not rule on the merits of the case. I heard on the radio a series of racial comments by Ms Deen which was all I needed to hear to understand she shares the view of every one of my women relatives who are over the age of 60. Nothing shocking about the racial views of folks who grew up with four bathrooms.

15 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:15 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote: Many fans of Paula have stopped watching Food Network....I did and I sent them an email letting them know my disgust....along with thousands and thousands of other fans.

Folks always have the right to support a racist.  She may actually be a wonderful woman, and a great cook, but it is her racist views which have been attacked, and your support of the woman is support for all of the woman..........including her racist views.......which is your right as an American.
 What racist views? Can you prove she is a racist?

16 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:16 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote: Many fans of Paula have stopped watching Food Network....I did and I sent them an email letting them know my disgust....along with thousands and thousands of other fans.

Folks always have the right to support a racist.  She may actually be a wonderful woman, and a great cook, but it is her racist views which have been attacked, and your support of the woman is support for all of the woman..........including her racist views.......which is your right as an American.
And you have a right to call the woman a racist without knowing her or knowing what really went on at her business.

17 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:18 am

Sal

Sal

If you yearn for the day when you could have human lawn jockeys serving mint juleps to your guests, ...

... well, you might be a racist.

lol

18 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:18 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:You post as if the court has already found Deen guilty of discrimination.  What the court said was that even IF Deen did racially discriminate, it did not affect the plaintiff.

No the court simply ruled the plaintiff had no standing.  It did not rule on the merits of the case.  I heard on the radio a series of racial comments by Ms Deen which was all I needed to hear to understand she shares the view of every one of my women relatives who are over the age of 60.  Nothing shocking about the racial views of folks who grew up with four bathrooms.
Actually, this is what you posted, as if the court had already found her guilty of discrimination:

The court ruled the complainant was an accidental victim of the discrimination,

19 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:24 am

Joanimaroni wrote:

It was never about Paula....it was sexual harassment  against Bubba Deen.  The black employees interviewed said they never experienced discrimination.
   Correct....not one black employee corroborated the allegations...

20 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:38 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:If you yearn for the day when you could have human lawn jockeys serving mint juleps to your guests, ...

... well, you might be a racist.

lol
 I suppose you never went to Morrison's Cafeteria as a child. We didn't call the waiters lawn jockeys, did you?  We were never rude or disrespectful....we answered with yes sir, no sir, and thank you. I thought they were great....I never had to ask for ketchup.

21 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:49 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

They put fetal baby tissue in Pepsi...so you guys are cannibals.

22 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 11:56 am

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
 I suppose you never went to Morrison's Cafeteria as a child. We didn't call the waiters lawn jockeys, did you?  We were never rude or disrespectful....we answered with yes sir, no sir, and thank you. I thought they were great....I never had to ask for ketchup.
Nope.

I'm not a son of the South, and I'm prolly not as old as you presume.

But, if you yearn for that experience because you were served exclusively by African-Americans, ...

... well, ...

... you might be a racist.

23 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 8:03 pm

NaNook

NaNook

Judge not least yea be judged......... you who come in handy on cases needing a mind-reader.........carry on....

24 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 8:39 pm

Interesting.  A couple of weeks ago I rode with a Black Vietnam Vet to Biloxi, who also is a Pensacola Native.  We were born in the same year 1942, not too very far apart.  He was born on Coyle st and I was born on K st.  He talked about Morrisons and how much the waiters enjoyed working there. They were professional.  Their service was amazing as shown by the fact that we are talking about it 50 years later.  It was a good job.  White people do it today.
To infer that he and I are racist due to the fact that I enjoyed their service and that he was proud of his people for being very professional is far from the mark.  
One thing he and I agreed on is  that things were very different 50 years ago.  We are now friends as we would have been back then had we known each other.  

25 Paula Deen II...... Empty Re: Paula Deen II...... 8/13/2013, 9:16 pm

There's nothing wrong with having a restaurant with all black  waiters who are paid well and receive good tips for their service. I didn't realize that Morrisons only had black waiters back then though. I've eaten there several times through the years and honestly never noticed it.
Waiters at nice restaurants make good money.

As for Ms Deen, I'm glad at least one of her legal problems are over. She makes some good eatin's.
And if her racist remarks were a long time ago, she should be forgiven.

People learn and change.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum